The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yoshi's Island
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Yoshi's Island Reply with quote

Couldn't find dessgeega's praise for Yoshi's Island so I'm starting a new thread.

Picked this up for GBA. It's funny how much better it feels than playing it in an emulator with a keyboard.

I love Yoshi's Story but its been a while.

I made it through the first world.

I do love how bosses are expanded versions of normal enemies.

There's a bit too much of a collectathon element, but gradually I'm getting the feeling that the game is generous enough w/ lives that it doesn't have to be too big of a deal for me. (I'm not a completist with this kind of thing, I just want to see all the interesting bits in an effecient kind of way)

I don't like bonus games that are pretty much just chance.

The other thing I don't like, though its only been one level so far, is the way there's some "interior" passageways that become visible when you walk up to 'em.... for some reason I find that stretching the "rules" of the 2D representation, and works to remind me that I'm playing in some kind of weird "Milton's Ant Farm" of a flattened space.
macdonaldez

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: rules schmules! Reply with quote

Meh- the thing i always find hard to get around in 2D games is the fact that you can jump directly upward through a platform, and stand on top of it, with no visible movement either in or outward in the Z-axis.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, Kirkjerk, I could never get in to the GBA port, much like the other SNES and NES games, the screen size and character sprites are off, which somehow result in me not being able to make two sucessful jumps in a row. Which isn't as bad in Yoshi's Island, unlike Mario 1-3 which deems every jump to be over a pit or on a enemy. If you're one block off, as I always am, BOOM HEADSHOT. I die.

Back on track, have you ever played this game non-emulated? Have you beaten it? Finally: without looking this up, Is it Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island or Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2?

macdonaldez wrote:
Meh- the thing i always find hard to get around in 2D games is the fact that you can jump directly upward through a platform, and stand on top of it, with no visible movement either in or outward in the Z-axis.

If it were a 2D world, all objects would have only two dimensions to them. Did you ever play Paper Mario? The block would have a thickness of 0.0001 nm, same as Yoshi. Moving foward or backwards 0.0001nm wouldn't have an animation, not in the old days. Maybe not until the SHHHHHHHHD Generation of gaming. Maybe. Then again, when I move 0.00001nm in any direction, the animation is pretty unnoticable.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
Finally: without looking this up, Is it Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island or Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2?

I think it's Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but they never played up the Super Mario World 2 part. I don't think it was meant to be SMW2 at all - I'm pretty sure someone in marketing added that in at the last second.

I have so many pleasant childhood memories of that game it's ridiculous... I got it for Christmas when I was in 1st grade...
B coma

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoshi's Island on the GBA is kind of funny because of the 1UP multiplier they added based on your score. By the time I hit world 2, I had something like 40 lives, though I should mention I've played the game on SNES more than a couple of times prior to that.

Anyway:

After thumbing through this for hours upon end I was totally ready for this game. Really, a frothing worthy of the Internet, before such things happened on the Internet in 1995. Since I didn't get to buy games at the time (and actually, the magazine was a loan from a friend too) I ended up renting it when it came out, which meant I had about 2-3 days to finish it or GTFO. And, what an amazing memory that was. It was so good I kinda regret playing the game again since.

Yoshi's Island, while not being a difficult game in my current perspective, probably falls somewhere on the tougher end of the list in the grand scheme of 2D Mario games, and back then I still couldn't stumble my way through SMB 3. So my determination to see everything pretty much carried me through, and I can't say I've had too many gaming experiences that were similiar to that since.

Yoshi's Island has soul. I've heard people make the analogy that SMW 2 is to SMW what SMB 2 is to SMB, and I think that's pretty accurate given all the parallels. It married the solid design of previous 2D platformers with a lot of really cool set-pieces, and they only get bigger and better until the game's climax. To take one example, though, there's this one ice-coated level in particular that I recall being particularly unforgiving the first time through. I might have lost something embarrasing like twenty lives on it at the time, sliding into the enemies and pits that pretty much composed most of the level. But then, when you get to that last door, when you think "this can't get any longer!" the level just becomes a relaxing downhill ski.

Where most games of the era would run the gimmick into the ground by making the entire level some kind of frustrating mine-cart nightmare, YI knew exactly when to play it's cards. Looking back, the game can probably be tightened up with some slightly shorter segments, but given the drought of good platformers in the last few years I really couldn't complain much more.

Last edited by B coma on Thu May 25, 2006 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
To take one example, though, there's this one ice-coated level in particular that I recall being particularly unforgiving the first time through. I might have lost something embarrasing like twenty lives on it at the time, sliding into the enemies and pits that pretty much composed most of the level.

I played through the game again about three weeks ago and boy can I relate.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
Finally: without looking this up, Is it Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island or Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2?

I think it's Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but they never played up the Super Mario World 2 part. I don't think it was meant to be SMW2 at all - I'm pretty sure someone in marketing added that in at the last second.

Without looking, I had remembered that at least on the box, Yoshi's Island gets top billing, and then the SMA3 is listed underneath. (Since confirmed on Amazon)
B coma

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or as I like to refer to it,

Super Mario Advance 3: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Yoshi's Island Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
It's funny how much better it feels than playing it in an emulator with a keyboard.

You know... I could say this about almost every game not designed for a computer. Seriously I can't recommend a PS2->USB or a Saturn USB pad enough if you play a fair amount of emulation on your computer.

Anyways, Yoshi Island 2 (poor) footage.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Yoshi's Island Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:
It's funny how much better it feels than playing it in an emulator with a keyboard.

You know... I could say this about almost every game not designed for a computer. Seriously I can't recommend a PS2->USB or a Saturn USB pad enough if you play a fair amount of emulation on your computer.

I agree. My PS2->USB converter is one of the best gaming-related things I've ever bought. If you're going to play SNES games a PS2 pad feels more natural than a Saturn pad mainly because the button layout on the PS2 and SNES pads are very similar. The only problem I've ever had with the thing is when playing N64 games; it seems like I have to reconfigure the thing (or, at the very least, load up a file from my "vast" amount of saved configurations) for every single game.
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does Yoshi's Island 2 look almost identical to Yoshi's Island, despite coming about 10 years later?

And how are we supposed to relate it to SMW? Is it SMW3?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have a few Gravis USB pads but haven't used 'em all that much.

You know, after all my griping about how PCs were so limited controller wise, now that USB should allow for a great number of controllers a once, I should do something about it...
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking what I've seen so far of Yoshi's Island 2. I'm kind of glad it looks almost exactly like the first one.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
And how are we supposed to relate it to SMW? Is it SMW3?

Super Mario Advance 5: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 2

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I should do something about it...

Yes. The saturn pad works really well for everything analogue. The USB Pad might be a good idea if just for emulation. But really, I recommend getting the PS2 Saturn Pad (Snow White, White, and Purlple are still in stock[/url]) because then you can use it on your PS2 as well. A really great controller.

Also: 14 min of YI2 footage

Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yoshi's Island has soul. I've heard people make the analogy that SMW 2 is to SMW what SMB 2 is to SMB, and I think that's pretty accurate given all the parallels.

I think that's a little unfair to Yoshi's Island. I get the analogy in terms of gameplay, it's just that the gap between the two is huge. I still like SMB2 and its charm, but the game was essentially a facelift of another game. Yoshi was beautiful and fun from the start. It is Miyamoto's paragon work; it captures his entire philosophy on gaming, and why/how it should be fun.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Miyamoto wrote Doki Doki Panic, right? I was kind of surprised and maybe even a little relieved to find that out.

Visually, SMB2 is much finely drawn and more cartoonish than SMB..... it makes SMB look more like a bridge between the 2600-era and the rest of later NES library.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
But Miyamoto wrote Doki Doki Panic, right? I was kind of surprised and maybe even a little relieved to find that out.

Actually Miyamoto was more involved with Doki Doki Panic than he was in SMB2 JP. The US version was even released in Japan as SMB2 USA Version (or something similar).

kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

Actually Miyamoto was more involved with Doki Doki Panic than he was in SMB2 JP. The US version was even released in Japan as SMB2 USA Version (or something similar).

That makes sense, from my limited exposre to SMB2JP, it feels more like an expansion pack than an original Miyamoto work.

Hmm, looking at the Wikipedia for the man, "Although a game designer himself, he rarely plays videogames in his free time. He prefers quick, handheld games which he plays with his family."... game and watches? Or...?

Huh, I wonder why Doki Doki isnt then on this list?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_games_created_by_Shigeru_Miyamoto
I was hoping to find some stuff I didn't know about from him but all I came up with was Mole Mania for the GB...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Hmm, looking at the Wikipedia for the man, "Although a game designer himself, he rarely plays videogames in his free time. He prefers quick, handheld games which he plays with his family."... game and watches? Or...?

Huh, I wonder why Doki Doki isnt then on this list?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_games_created_by_Shigeru_Miyamoto
I was hoping to find some stuff I didn't know about from him but all I came up with was Mole Mania for the GB...

I belive that Pokemon is the game they are refering to there.

Also, I said more involved with, not the creator of. I am pretty sure that he was hands off with the SMB2JP.

B coma

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the only other things I would add to that comparison would be the shift in mechanics (throwing things at enemies) and perhaps a more direct reference in the reappearance of Shy Guys. Also, I think Tezuka directed Yoshi's Island, and Miyamoto was busy with Mario 64 at the time.

Actually, who really directed SMB 2 JP? Wikipedia seems to have it wrong.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this game. Everyone thought I was crazy for liking it so much! I don't really remember what people were playing at the time, which kind of speaks volumes.

I've always felt kind of ambivalent on the mechanics of how Yoshi moves, though. Not having the run button there in a Mario game doesn't feel right. To me, the Mario games were always about the usage of the run button, speeding up and slowing down to end up exactly where you wanted to be after a jump. Here, though, it was a necessity to get rid of it because of how Yoshi's tongue and eggs work, it was scrapped so that the player wasn't overwhelmed. The floaty jump does allow more slippage to balance this lack of accuracy off, though, which I have always thought was genius.

I was really afraid that if we were to get another Yoshi game, it would be different, somehow--maybe more Metroidvaniaish? I was worried it would be. As much of a fan I am of Metroidvanias, I think Yoshi's Island would have suffered from it even more than Kirby and the Amazing Mirror did. Yoshi's Island is fun because each level has some element of its design exagerated, or maybe into a gimmick, and you have to find out how to adjust to the challenge. It takes the Super Mario World idea of having plain stages, but adding in secrets, and takes it to the next logical plateau.
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a lot of Yoshi's Island, but I've never really got past world 3. I just run out of steam.

That and the fact I get obsessed with trying to find the last 2 coins on Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy. It's the only stage on world 1 that I just can't get 100% on.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I've played a lot of Yoshi's Island, but I've never really got past world 3. I just run out of steam.

That and the fact I get obsessed with trying to find the last 2 coins on Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy. It's the only stage on world 1 that I just can't get 100% on.

That's such the opposite from my approach to gaming...I don't care how low my % is (especially since there's a nifty method to get infinite lives) but I'm trying to plug may through the whole damn thing.

BTW, the monkeys are some of the greatest enemies in videogame. I love that the relationship isn't purely confrontational, and they scurry out of your way as much as harass you.
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just drives me crazy, like having a lash in my eye. It's intensely irritating to get a 100% run through world 1 straight off the bat, except for those elusive 2 red coins on Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy.

It doesn't help that it's one of my favourate levels of any game, ever. In the sense that I'd like to be able to move on and do the rest of the game, I mean.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
It just drives me crazy, like having a lash in my eye. It's intensely irritating to get a 100% run through world 1 straight off the bat, except for those elusive 2 red coins on Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy.

It doesn't help that it's one of my favourate levels of any game, ever. In the sense that I'd like to be able to move on and do the rest of the game, I mean.

Did you get all the stuff in the sandy stuff before the fuzzies? It remember there being a lot of everything there.
B coma

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:

I got curious about this, pulled out the SNES, and jumped into that level. Do you want to know the secret? Because let me tell you, it's totally cheap and not really satisfying once you figure out how to get the last three coins.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a highjack. This is a question for those of you that have played Yoshi's Island and either Yoshi's Story or Yoshi's Topsy Turvy. Despite having pretty close to the same control scheme, Yoshi's Story is pretty bland and Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy is just plain garbage.what exactly is it that makes these derivative games so much less compelling?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back when I played Yoshi's Story and though it was okay. then warpzone at the ic forums posted a pretty interesting defense of it and made me want to try it out again:

warpzone wrote:
Actually, Yoshi's Story is awesome but misunderstood. Not to be harsh, but it seems Showka missed the whole point. I probably like it as much as Yoshi's Island, but if you go into it expecting more of that game then you'll probably be disappointed. It's one of Nintendo's most significant attempts at re-envisioning the platformer genre.

Yoshi's Story is about making the Yoshis happy. Most things they do- grabbing coins, eating fruits and enemies, etc. makes them happier (or sadder) and more happiness translates into a higher score. This actually provides a great context for more traditional Mario mechanics. Say if your Yoshi is blue, you'll gain more points by jumping on a blue shyguy. Two blue shyguys without touching the ground would double that, but a blue followed by a red and you'd only be a third as happy.

Showka's suggestion that the fruit was more of an afterthought couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, fruit and obstacles are painstakingly distributed in each stage to offer several layers to the level design and a smooth difficulty curve. Beginners can prematurely end the stage by just eating the first 30 fruits they see, and indeed when played in this way the structure might seem baffling. It's akin to playing Ikaruga without chaining. The idea is to replay stages and gradually be more selective, only eating the fruits that make Yoshi the happiest. Naturally, this means you'll be simultaneously exposed to more of a stage and more of its challenges.

This leads to a number of great sequences, one of my favorites being a jungle river where the Yoshis frantically search for the next fruit in the link while huge fish threaten to swallow them whole. Analog control is also extremely well implemented, and shapes much of the object interaction. The art direction isn't quite as singly uniform and grand as Yoshi's Island, but the world still comes alive like a picture book, and characterization is great as usual.

Granted, there are a few drawbacks. Bosses are weak and feel tacked on, not really meshing with the rest of the game too well. And sniff-sniffing, where you hold R to uncover hidden items, encourages OCD-like behavior if you want to truly maximize scores. Luckily, you can mostly ignore this, as the important sniffing spots are usually intuitive.

In the end, Story is really a much more self-motivated game than Island, with the scoring coming ahead of just reaching a goal.
TOLLMASTER
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the above poster's quote pointed out: yes! A lot of people never found out how to play the game. It doesn't specifically tell you how you should play it, and most people walk into it with their previous gaming knowledge and play it that way. And then, they don't have any fun.

When I first got it, I would just eat whatever fruit was in my path, get to the next stage, and beat the game in about half an hour. It was very vanilla. But once I started playing to get all melons, or the like, did I start to understand the stages and thus, the game. Yoshi's Story isn't nearly as clever as was Yoshi's Island, but I really feel that the developers did a good job on taking the Yoshi gameplay somewhere else. It's a worthy sequel--but only if you're playing it right.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree: Yoshi's Story got a lot of undeserved flak. Once again, Miyamoto, or game designers on the whole are ridiculed for trying to innovate (in terms of aesthetics). "It didn't look like Yoshi's Island at all!" Yet if he had made the game the same style, it would have been hackneyed and unoriginal, no?

I think it's the ultimate flaw of the platforming genre: The New Super Mario Bros. was "too short." Yoshi's Story is "too short." All of these games are too short...if you breeze through them.

Perhaps it is the lowish-learning curve for platformers. Us veteran gamers find the game's challenges laughably easy. However, whil, in a sense, the point of the game is to proceed to the next level, we are missing the point of playing the game and its universal appeal. We are concerned only with grokking it. Perhaps in this sense we are short-sighted. I know personally, while I still love Yoshi's Story, there is little incentive to get a high score other than to have it (for the prestige, yes, but it's no longer the incipient days of gaming, high scores for high scores sake aren't as worth it anymore). So I would try to satisfy my Yoshis, but I don't know to what extent I would care to.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I great appreciate games that have this kind of "easy road" vs "deep road".

I love the easy...just show me the interesting bits, dont' make me get to deep into level design...

Even w/ that, Yoshi's Island isn't a total pushover.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoshi's Island might be my favorite all-time Mario game, and maybe even my favorite platformer period. It's for me what SMB3 is for many people. Back when it first came out, it renewed my faith in Nintendo, and in platformers generally. It's like the cartoon art almost makes everything seem more solid than in most Mario games. The character design is exquisite. The control is spot on and the game constantly gives you new things to do with your original skill set.

If I had to pick a flaw it's that the transformations aren't implemented all that well compared to the rest of the game. But turning into a train is still pretty fun.

Yeah, I can't wait for YI2. EB's website says 12/1/06 release, which essentially means some time in 2007 I'm thinking. Maybe the import will arrive sooner.
Ketch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I can sort of appreciate why people like it (style, inventiveness, effects) but I don't enjoy it that much because I don't think it can hold a candle to Super Mario World, it just lacks the "flow" 1) because you need to stop and get eggs, 2 because you lose Mario if you get hit and have to go and get him. I think it woud have been better with a different health system.

p.s anyone think that it is one of the games that might have inspired Ico: baby Mario's being flown away is like Yorda being dragged away?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
I don't know, I can sort of appreciate why people like it (style, inventiveness, effects) but I don't enjoy it that much because I don't think it can hold a candle to Super Mario World, it just lacks the "flow" 1) because you need to stop and get eggs, 2 because you lose Mario if you get hit and have to go and get him. I think it woud have been better with a different health system.

p.s anyone think that it is one of the games that might have inspired Ico: baby Mario's being flown away is like Yorda being dragged away?

I played through this for the first time recently.

I didn't find the egg gathering to bad....either it's the easiest way to disose of an enemy, or filling up at an eggbox has a nice kinetic feel.

At first I thought Mario retrieval would be annoying, but as I played, it was a nice way of adding "forgiveness" to getting hit. In fact its recharge reminded me a bit of Halo's shields.

Good point about the Ico tie-in.
mechanoriINtransit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

At first I thought Mario retrieval would be annoying, but as I played, it was a nice way of adding "forgiveness" to getting hit.

Exactly. It's like losing, but then having the chance to keep going. Like respawn points at every point in the level. A warning shot. That's what I really like about Yoshi's Island. It's forgiving in a very satisfying way. It lets you lose just a little bit, then you move on. I almost wish the instant deaths weren't there.

Super Mario Sunshine uses the same design, in a way. The jetpack is virtually the same thing as Yoshi's second jump.

Although I can still have fun with the game without collecting everything, that seems to be the element that forces the player to explore and challenge the levels more thoroughly. I'm not sure I agree with that.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechanoriINtransit wrote:
Super Mario Sunshine uses the same design, in a way. The jetpack is virtually the same thing as Yoshi's second jump.

Well, true, but that's almost a different aspect, doesn't Mario still use a replenishable damage system?

I mostly play games for novel creatures/enemies and interaction/control designs. Neither challenge for challenge sake nor level design interest me as much, which I think are some of the big draws for 100%ers.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just learned that if you get 100% in Yoshi's Island on every level that two more worlds open up. That is both scary and impressive. It is easily one of the cooler rewards in a mario game for getting 100% (ie: Mario 64 is one of the worst).

Also, I still have never beat this game, let alone thought about ever getting 100% on everything.

Also, because of this I put the cart back in and attempted to play/beat it again, but I still really suck at this game. I don't know why but I am really not very good. It is an anomoly in my gaming ability. I feel like less a man for it.

B coma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YI is renown for making people feel less masculine.

Quote:
Also, I still have never beat this game

gasp! make this your mission, at least!

And you know, I went a good part of my adult life without knowing that secret, and here I thought that the secret levels were only the bonus stages unlockable as two player games. And now I suppose I have something else to try and get out of the way this summer...
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B coma wrote:
And now I suppose I have something else to try and get out of the way this summer...

Amen to that. I seriously just beat this game for the third time a few weeks ago and never knew about the extra worlds.

Shaper, you've got to play this one through. The boss battles are so boss!

And if you're not really into level design, kirk, then this really isn't the game for you.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
And if you're not really into level design, kirk, then this really isn't the game for you.

Au contraire! I enjoyed it, because of the boss fights, and also some of the other character design... especially the monkeys, who had a great only-semi-confrontational aspect to them. (They reminded me a bit of the birds hopping around Yoshi's house in the first Super Mario World... off the top of my head I don't remember how much Yoshi's Story had the same idea, but I always love that kind of detail... plus I remember DKC had some flapping butterflies along the same lines)

It's definately not the game for me to come back to and play into the ground and wring every last secret from, but that's true of most games.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Shapes, beat this masterpiece yet?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
So, Shapes, beat this masterpiece yet?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

...ahhh...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no. sorry.

Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsk, tsk...
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on those ridiculously hard and wonderful secret levels. And yes, I know I wasn't asked.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're worth it.

Like, really worth it.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preaching to the choir, Dracko.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just scored a 100 on one of the secret levels. I am on such a rush that I'm gonna rustle me up some dinner. Yes!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really two extra worlds? I don't remember that, and I definitely 100%'d it.

I thought Yoshi's Island was the best game ever for a period. I still think those monkeys are incredible, the way they can switch tasks and react to the environment the way they do.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100'd every level, including the secrets, for absolutely no reason.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: