The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twilight Princess US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Twilight Princess US Reply with quote

So, interestingly enough, it seems that the GameCube version of Twilight Princess will only be released in the US:

The Hylia wrote:
According to a statement made by Reggie Fils-Aime at the media briefing, and reaffirmed by Nintendo sources today when we checked, Twilight Princess will only be coming out on Nintendo GameCube in North America, not in other regions.

I wondered why nobody had brougth this up until now, but I guess people were just too caught up in E3 to catch it. But when we inquired today, the statement was the same as Reggie's remark "A GCN version, in addition to a Wii version of Twilight Princess, will be released here in the Americas". NOE and NCL have not responded to our inquiries. So it seems that the GCN version is a limited quantity, limited time thing to appease the core market in North America, and that the main focus of Nintendo on the general world market is to convert people to Wii with Twilight Princess.

It will be interesting to see how the sales of each version do in North America, and how many GCN copies will be available for retail this fall.

Sounds like someone is mincing words up, but this could prove very interesting if it is true.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF?! Shocked

And people say importing isn't needed?!

I typed a whole lot of nonsense in response to that, but I'm going to hold myself back.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, your link isn't working. How can I spread this around the net without a source to credit?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, well it did. Anyways, it looks like someone is mincing too many words here. I would ignore it as nothing more than speculation and rumor mill stuff.

Still, it would be pretty interesting to see this actually happen

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest question: would Japan care that much, do you think?

A week ago someone asked the question, "why buy a Wii to play Zelda when you could play it on GameCube?" I suppose that, at least in other territories, Nintendo has thought of that as well.
GilloD

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading and re-reading that statement over the last 2 days and I have to wonder: How did we come to this conclusion?

His words are "Will be released in the Americas" not "WILL ONLY BE RELEASED IN THE AMERICAS" and not affixed with "And nowhere else". It seems like he was speaking as the NoA rep about the A.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, that first sentence seems pretty straightforward. not the best sentence; i've seen better, for sure.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something (I'm slow, sue me): does this mean that the Wii will play both the GC and Wii versions of Twilight Princess?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I just thought of something (I'm slow, sue me): does this mean that the Wii will play both the GC and Wii versions of Twilight Princess?

Yes. Unless they pull a Microsoft and we have to wait a year until the backwards compatibility "works".
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Yes. Unless they pull a Microsoft and we have to wait a year until the backwards compatibility "works".

I was just talking with my wife last night and we realised that we would probably have to keep our Xbox around after I get a 360 just because so little backwards compatability actually works.

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:

I was just talking with my wife last night and we realised that we would probably have to keep our Xbox around after I get a 360 just because so little backwards compatability actually works.

Most of my friends with 360s kept their Xboxes and haven't even messed with backwards compatibility at all.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't played Minish Cap or Majora's Mask, or Oracle of Seasons. Damn I'm far behind in my Zelda games.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never played Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, or Four Swords.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majora's Mask is the only must-play out of the ones you two mentioned. It's hard as balls (I thought) and might just be better than Ocarina of Time. If it's not better, it's certainly stranger.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I got Minish Cap for my Birthday in March. About a month later I remembered that I had it. I played it for 2 hours one night in April. I just remebered that I had the game.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:

Yeah, this is why I re-purchased the Original Beast. Still no Doom 3 or DOA:U compatibility...
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GilloD wrote:
I've been reading and re-reading that statement over the last 2 days and I have to wonder: How did we come to this conclusion?

His words are "Will be released in the Americas" not "WILL ONLY BE RELEASED IN THE AMERICAS" and not affixed with "And nowhere else". It seems like he was speaking as the NoA rep about the A.

I totally disagree. Obviously this will all become clear in time, but I'm absolutely convinced right now that they only intend to release it in America. Otherwise, why would he bother specifying it like that? It just doesn't make sense. Are there any other examples of people saying things like this?

Not that it really matters to me. Ever since they announced the Revolution, I've been saying that they'd be holding Twilight Princess back as a launch title for it, so it's not exactly a big surprise. And I'd rather have the Wii version anyway.

I think the real question is "Why are they bothering to release a Gamecube version at all?"
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I think the real question is "Why are they bothering to release a Gamecube version at all?"

For people who played it on the Wii at E3?

Ho HO! I kid.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
purplechair wrote:

For people who played it on the Wii at E3?

Ho HO! I kid.

OH SNAP!!!!
thatbox

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the Wii version will have the option to play without the new controller hardware. Probably not.

Ah, well. I'll be buying however many versions they release, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to get the Wii just so I can play Majora's Mask! I've always wanted to play it. I'm rather pissed I missed out on the Bonus disk that was handed out when you preordered something a while ago. I got Ocarina and Master Quest when I preordere Wind Waker . . . but MM is a sneaky one.

Wait, Wii isn't going to be able to play GB games too, is it? Do I still need a DS for all those?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Wait, Wii isn't going to be able to play GB games too, is it? Do I still need a DS for all those?

Wii doesn't play GB games, but neither does the DS. The DS only plays GBA or DS games. You still need a GBA SP or earlier GB to play GB or GB Color games.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Wii doesn't play GB games, but neither does the DS.

I think it is a fair distinction to say yet, and that there is potential for it in the future. GB games specifically though, precicely because the DS dosen't play them.

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Shaper.

I really don't think it will take long for them to add original Game Boy games (maybe even early GBC titles) to the virtual console selection if that service takes off.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
I agree with Shaper.

I really don't think it will take long for them to add original Game Boy games (maybe even early GBC titles) to the virtual console selection if that service takes off.

There's a chance, but I'm not going to expect it until Nintendo says something about it. It's true that it would only make sense, but when's the last time Nintendo did something that made sense?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual Console pricing structure.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:
I agree with Shaper.

There's a chance, but I'm not going to expect it until Nintendo says something about it. It's true that it would only make sense, but when's the last time Nintendo did something that made sense?

-Wes

You make a very good point.
thatbox

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got the impression that Nintendo will be tossing whole libraries (or anything close) up onto the service - just that there will be some select games they'll deign to let you pay for again.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the inclusion of Sega and NEC is kind of hinting that they might be, actually. Or at least I'm hoping!

(when I put the Metal Slug collection disc into the console, will it call me a wiener?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: