The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

being defined by what you dislike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: being defined by what you dislike Reply with quote

It hits me that I'm fond of some things that varying levels of unpopularity here.

Like, I don't think EGM is all that bad. Not great, I don't really trust any particular review numbers, but they sometimes have some nifty articles. And I'm glad seanbaby has a home even if he's not as funny as he is back in the NES and Twinkie parts of his old site.

Mario Party, that's another one. I think it's brilliant. a decent wrapper around retro-style games, but with a huge emphasis on 4-player, something the classic era didn't have enough of (but when it did...MULE, Warlords... wow.) Yeah they're beating the franchise into the ground, and I generally don't dig the boardgame stuff that much, but still.

I don't know what the sentiment here is about the GTA series. I haven't played a game that has such a good balance of "living breathing world", sandbox, and mission style gameplay. I think there's tremendous power in how little your character can do at the end of the game than at the begining, if you know the weapon and money locations. Mario 64 has the same quality, actually, the very opposite of Zelda and Metroid, each sequel of which has to figure out some excuse of resetting the character so the tale of gradual power gathering can begin anew.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd cite the Gamer's Quarter as a pretty good example of people with diverse tastes getting along. I think everyone here has some game they like or love that others despise.

Oh! Maybe this will become a "guilty pleasures" thread?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Guilty Pleasures" implies that you know that the pleasure in question is bad, or bad for you, whichever you're more or less fond of.

For example, I am quite fond of GTA and sports games, two genres which are regarded as "bad" by the Internet Gamer Clique crowd, yet I don't feel guilty about the fondness at all. If I did have a guilty pleasure, I'd probably cite Final Fantasy I. I can see all the flaws in it and why it's not such a good game; I still enjoy playing through it every couple years or so.

TGQ seems to be pretty good for this sort of thing. The Insert Credit forums seem to have a bit more of an attitude problem in that area, if you're really interested in it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guarantee i have worse taste in games than you, kirk.
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario party 2 is the best mario party. similiarly, gta 2 is the best grand theft auto.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 often is the sweetspot in a series. MegaMan comes to mind, Street Fighter...I'm sure there are other examples.

re: GTA...I've only dabbled with stuff earlier than 3. I really think the perspective hurts the driving, though I understand they did more interesting things in terms of world modeling. Which one had it so that there was a finite # of cops, and eventually you could clean them out of the city?

GTA3 had an overhead view I think the later ones tended to drop... and it's amazing how similar it looks to the previos GTAs. I started with GTA:VC, so going from there to GTA:3 and then to GTA:2 was interesting; GTA:3 was one of the most classic instances of "lets do the exact same thing but in 3D" I've ever seen.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Party is really fun multiplayer, but then again, pretty much any game can be fun when played with the right people.

I'm a really big fan of GTA: San Andreas, even though I never finished the "main quest" or whatever you want to call it. It's fun to just go in and try ridiculous things that most people wouldn't think about doing (the other day I booted it up and drove around for 30 minutes without breaking any traffic laws whatsoever).

dhex wrote:
i guarantee i have worse taste in games than you, kirk.

I bet I have worse taste in games than both of you. I have a sick fondness for bad games.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, a "my tastes are worse than yours" contest.

Usually I have a good explanation for why I dislike what I dislike. And it doesn't stop me from respecting giants in the field, even if I'd NEVER want to play them, ala Tony Hawk or Final Fantasy.

One big thing is...I hate RPGs. Turnbased combat just doesn't do anything for me, and I hate games with a lot of character flddling, I think I'm always worried that I'm going to do something wrong early on and end up in a hopeless character later on. Oh, plus I hate leveling up in most games.

The distrust that i won't do something stupid early on...so much of game play is a matter of faith, trust that the game designer didn't actually make something impossible (see: Impssible Mission for the 7800) or so difficult that I'll never get it. Lately, as time becomes more scarce, it becomes "is this do-able with my skillset and the time and energy I'm willing to put into it".... which is why I don't mind GameFAQs and walkthroughs et al, I play games to "interact with something interesting", not to challenge myself in particular.

I blame the Metroid map in the old black-covered Player's Guide Nintendo put out. Great stuff, seeing it made me switch to NES even though I knew C=64 was more powerful... but after seeing all those hidden missiles and pathways that I NEVER would have had the patience to discover or explore so fully on my own, it set me down a dark path of Nitendo helplines and Internet FAQs.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
One big thing is...I hate RPGs. Turnbased combat just doesn't do anything for me, and I hate games with a lot of character flddling, I think I'm always worried that I'm going to do something wrong early on and end up in a hopeless character later on.

Now you see? That's one thing about TGQ that I like-- for every 'unpopular' belief or opinion, there's usually someone here who has the same opinion. Like me. I agree with you about RPG's, even if my reasons are a little different from yours. And the people who feel differently here will often discuss their opinion in a mostly rational way. Unlike IC, which is... a little bit different from that. I think IC just expects the average person to be able to defend their contrarianism to an incredible degree-- and I just don't have the enrgy for that most of the time.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Mario Party is really fun multiplayer, but then again, pretty much any game can be fun when played with the right people.

The Gamecube WarioWare with 16 people and a Wavebird is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

kirkjerk wrote:
I think there's tremendous power in how little your character can do at the end of the game than at the begining, if you know the weapon and money locations. Mario 64 has the same quality, actually, the very opposite of Zelda and Metroid, each sequel of which has to figure out some excuse of resetting the character so the tale of gradual power gathering can begin anew.

You totally just reminded me of an article I was going to write. Thanks, Kirk!

I always kind of wanted to play through all of the Ultima games, and all of the Dragon Quest games, and map out exactly where Yuji Hori ripped off Richard Garriott. But, then I remember that I would find the actual task to be enourmously tedious. I... I even found Mother to be kind of tedious. (Though I'm still sad that PogoShell destroyed my save, like 8 or 10 hours in.) I think I just hate random battles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
One big thing is...I hate RPGs. Turnbased combat just doesn't do anything for me, and I hate games with a lot of character flddling, I think I'm always worried that I'm going to do something wrong early on and end up in a hopeless character later on. Oh, plus I hate leveling up in most games.

It set me down a dark path of Nitendo helplines and Internet FAQs.

Not that I am a raving fan of RPGs, I don't think any RPG should ever give off that specific vibe. Leveling up sometimes can't be helped, but Shin Megami Tensei certainly helped to take the superficial things away from the genre. "Collecting them all", and super detailed management. All of which was completely optional.

Also, I called a help line for Tales of Destiny. I didn't have access to the internet at the time, and I needed help. It was sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: