The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Responses to the Nintendo Press Conference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Responses to the Nintendo Press Conference Reply with quote

Dear Nintendo,

Give it to me. I will do whatever you want, just... please, God, give it to me.

- PurpleChair
DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monosyllabic names suck. And even then, "Glee" "Whee" "See" ... I mean, Jesus.

As far as the games go, it will be the standard crew with POSSIBLY a new franchise. Much like that new franchise started on the Gamecube... Pikmin? Yeah. Four years, and all we get is Pikmin.
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal Crossing was new outside of Japan, and the DS version has revealed itself to be one of the best things ever crafted by human hands.

And that "Crisis: Day of Disaster" game looks like it might be good. I like disaster games... I like it when they strip all the usual "computer game" stuff (like "enemies") out and just have challenging platform/adventure games where you're just struggling to overcome your environment.

Amongst my circle of old high school friends, I'm the only one who owns a GameCube... I think one other guy owns an XBox... but everyone else just has a PS2. But a lot of them were watching the Nintendo presentation yesterday and talking about pre-ordering. If it grabs other people - and not just Nintendo fanboys like myself - in the same way, I guess the sky's the limit? If they can sell a few consoles this time round, they might be able to get some good third party support on-board and they'll make some new games.
player 2

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesterday, girls that don't play videogames were all like, "oh, yeah, i know about that wand thing. that'sk ind of cool. let's fuck." my penis couldn't have been harder.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
yesterday, girls that don't play videogames were all like, "oh, yeah, i know about that wand thing. that'sk ind of cool. let's fuck." my penis couldn't have been harder.

Nintendo for the win.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a mere hours from playing with the Wii. I'm really, really pumped. I'll report back later with the hand on experience.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands on impressions of the Wii...

Fuckin' sweet, but a little imprecise. Maybe imprecise isn't the word, it's actually too precise to the point that doing any motion too big will totally throw your game off.

I've played the following so far:

Wii Table Tennis
Wii obsticale course
Wii Tennis
Wii Golf
Wii Airplane
and Wario Ware

The worst so far was guide the dude through the obsticale course. The controller seemed messed up and every time someone hit the wall they'd have to find the center zone again.

The best has been Warioware and Airplane. I was rocking out to both of those. Airplane was amazing. You stab forward to zoom ahead and yank back to put on the break. Otherwise you just control the game like you were guiding the airplane. It's both relaxing and invigorating at the same time.

Warioware is amazing too. Just before the mini game you get a little screen that tells you how to hold the controller. For example, before one of the mini-games they say "handlebar" and show the guy grasping the controller with both hands, then the game starts and they show a guy with an air pump. You pump the controller up and down to blow up an onscreen balloon. It's very visceral, and adds to the feeling of actually performing the stupid mini-games.

I'm still in line for Metroid and I have a feeling it'll be great. It's my first try with the wiichuk so wish me luck!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's the same technology, but lately I've been noticing issues w/ the sensor embedded in WarioWare twisted.... if you use it for a prolonged game, w/o a chance to center, eventually the center kind of drifts (I noticed this most in the Apple Assault game, with constant adjustment of the Wario-firing cannon)

Of course that particular cart is a little suspect; A, my girlfriend erased my save by yanking it out of the GBASP at one point, and then B, I noticed the rumble makes a bit of noise by itsself, not sure if it's normal.

Anyway, I wonder if the Wii stuff will have similar problems.

Golly would I love to see Sony stumble on this one. from DRM to crappy laptop power supplies to trying to use a game console to fight a format war to never having 4 built-in controller ports to hoards of Sony fanboys with their cries of "Kiddy" to proprietary memory and what not formats...bleh. The only bit of Sony hardware actively making my life better is my Sony/Palm "clie" PDA...which they of course discontinued.
Mesmerize

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like Mario Party Wii will be ten times more entertaining than any of the previous installments, when it's (inevitably) released.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in line for Metroid! 45 more minutes!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Metroid, tell me more about the aeroplane game! Is it going to be Pilotwngs?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fuckin' sweet, but a little imprecise. Maybe imprecise isn't the word, it's actually too precise to the point that doing any motion too big will totally throw your game off.

carpal tunnel city, eh?

i will get to try this thing out eventually, since i can think of one friend of mine who will probably buy one on launch. i was thinking about getting one and dumping the gamecube (i can use a bit less grape in my life) but in my heart i know it's a bad idea, wrist-wise.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Forget Metroid, tell me more about the aeroplane game! Is it going to be Pilotwngs?

After 2.5 hours in line to play Metroid I can't just forget it!

I will say that right now the plane game seems like it's part of the "Wii Sports" line, which I'm guessing will end up being a single game that's basically a collection of mini-games. By the way it plays it might as well be pilotwings, but there's a limited-gameplay feeling that seems to tie the "Wii Sports series together. The plane game focuses on steering, the table tennis game focuses on moving around the court etc. It's not the whole sport, but just the essence of what's important about it.

The entire lineup is tied together by the use of "little people" as characters. Like those toys that pre-schoolers play with. Probably as a nod to the abstractions within the games themselves.

So yeah, it'll be a neat collection if it becomes an actual product, but it's one of those things I can kinda see Nintendo scrapping or moving to full games.

On to Metroid... Pretty freaking sweet. I was only able to play the first half of the demo, but I got the controls down pretty well. You move with the analog stick, lock on with the Z button (first finger on analog stick), turn into a ball with the C button (second finger on analog stick), look and aim with the remote, shoot with the A button (on top of the remote), and jump with the B button (under the remote).

It's interesting because the way it's implemented allows you to play it like Metroid Prime or like a standard FPS. When you're not aiming at an enemy, the lock on activates a strafe, which lets you use the wiimote to aim directly at each enemy without worrying about accidentally turning toward them.

The game itself feels more Prime than Echoes, and the various little things you need to do to move through the level - things like pulling out a lever, turning it, and pushing it back in, and grappling grates and yanking them out - these things reinforce the feeling of actually performing the activities instead of pushing buttons. It's a little jarring to change the way you're interacting with the game on the fly, but it certainly adds to the immersion.

Overall I'm impressed with how the Wii can handle complicated games. Good form!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excite Truck - Looks like shit. I'm talking Cruise'n USA level visuals. But plays perfectly. It's really fun. You hold the controller like an NES pad and steer by rotating the controller on its axis. It works better than I would have expected, and is pretty precise in a non-annoying way. The final game will probably lack some depth, but what's there now is fun.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good. I really enjoyed' cruisin' usa's graphics. There's something magical about 3D cars that still look and behave like sprites. Although I'm guessing that's probably not what you're getting at.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think wii sports, as a single disc, will make an excellent pack-in game if nintendo wants to go that route (and i think it would be in their interest to do so).

i like what it represents about nintendo's philosophy, too. sports games as games, not as lists of stats. like famicom tennis and ice hockey.

incidentally, that flight sim on the ds (the one other than star fox) looks pretty solid.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Any mention of some sort of calibration utility--either system-wide or in individual games--where the player could scale back the sensitivity?

SuperWes wrote:
The game itself feels more Prime than Echoes

This made me indescribably happy.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Any mention of some sort of calibration utility--either system-wide or in individual games--where the player could scale back the sensitivity?

Can't speak for all games, but I know that Metroid Prime had something in the pause screen that allowed you to adjust the sensitivity. I can see it becoming standard if it isn't already.

So it turns out I was in the Nintendo booth from 9:00 this morning until like 4:30 in the afternoon. It was good. Things kept getting better and better, with the final highlight being Mario Galaxy. It's amazing (but I'm a Mario lover).

The basic concept is that you control Mario as a character in the game while at the same time disrupting his world using a pointer. The concept can be explained using the first 10 seconds of the demo. The demo starts and you (the cursor) shake around a bunch of bells. This causes a bunch of musical notes to fall out that you can collect for coins (or something) then you run around as Mario and collect them.

The concept is then expanded to places where you jump onto sticky surfaces as Mario and then shoot yourself off by grabbing, pulling on the sticky surface, and letting go to fling yourself off. It's awesome, but I'm at a party now so this is the last thing I can say for now. Expect more tomorrow!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man.

I'm seriously getting giddy reading about this. Like a little kid. You can grapple in Metroid, then PULL yourself along? If that works like how I'm thinking it'll work/feel that's AWESOME.

OH MAN AND PILOTWINGS OH GOD.

LJ -- Profile
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:
Oh man.

I'm seriously getting giddy reading about this. Like a little kid. You can grapple in Metroid, then PULL yourself along? If that works like how I'm thinking it'll work/feel that's AWESOME.

I heard that they showed Zelda during the big Nintendo pre-conference thing and apparently shooting the bow in-game involves holding the nunchuck-wiimote combo like a bow and arrow, pulling the wiimote back like an arrow until the speaker in the controller makes a popping noise, and letting the wiimote go.

I almost shat myself when I heard that.
xvs07

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid Snake in Super Smash Bros Brawl

Lots of very interesting news from E3, but nothing's more earthshaking for me than this.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Mr. Apol wrote:
Oh man.

I heard that they showed Zelda during the big Nintendo pre-conference thing and apparently shooting the bow in-game involves holding the nunchuck-wiimote combo like a bow and arrow, pulling the wiimote back like an arrow until the speaker in the controller makes a popping noise, and letting the wiimote go.

ugh otakupunkx harder

that's right, keep going

LJ -- Profile
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i like what it represents about nintendo's philosophy, too. sports games as games, not as lists of stats. like famicom tennis and ice hockey.

incidentally, that flight sim on the ds (the one other than star fox) looks pretty solid.

The difference between watching professional sports and tossing a ball in the park? Or the difference between playing a game and playing a simulation?

And I would like to know the name of this flight sim, I've heard nothing.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
The difference between watching professional sports and tossing a ball in the park? Or the difference between playing a game and playing a simulation?

yes.

(which is my cute way of suggesting that it's a bit of both of those things.)

the working title for the flight sim seems to be "ds air". you can get some screenshots and video off of nintendo's super secret press page (username "media" and password "e32006"). it looks pretty nice! i approve of its use of the dual screens.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:
Mr. Apol wrote:
Oh man.

ugh otakupunkx harder

that's right, keep going

Bob Ross's The Joy of Painting.

I tried to come up with something witty to reply with, but this is all I can think of.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:

Don't shit yourself yet! This was just done for effect. You actually shoot arrows by holding in the direction the bow and arrow is mapped to on the D-Pad, aiming with the stick, and letting go of the D-Pad to shoot. Sorry to disappoint!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:

Don't shit yourself yet! This was just done for effect. You actually shoot arrows by holding in the direction the bow and arrow is mapped to on the D-Pad, aiming with the stick, and letting go of the D-Pad to shoot. Sorry to disappoint!

-Wes

That's lame. Maybe there will be more realistic bow-and-arrow fun in a future Wii title. Hopefully not one involving the bowhunting adventures of Ted Nugent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: