The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's talk about how awesome Punisher Arcade Game is (56k,no

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GilloD

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Let's talk about how awesome Punisher Arcade Game is (56k,no Reply with quote

In this thread, we appreciate Punisher: The Arcade Game.

Why?

For one, there are a lot of weapons. And I know this sounds weird, but they have a really physical quality to them missing from anything this or next gen. There's a nice physicality to the way they cut and injure enemies:

You fight a man whose arm changes into a rocket launcher. But you do it with a LANCE:

As for the more mundane, he holds his knife like a real man:

BUT FRANK CASTLE AINT NO TWO BIT YELLA BELLY FOOL, no sir. He doesn't use his gun unless the enemies have guns:

Or if they have tanks for lower bodies:

Flame throwers are another matter. Does anyone else find it funny that these flame throwers look like fire exstinguishers?:

IT ALSO HAS ROBOTS:

And an engaging plot:

The death screen is cool:

And the mini-cinemas are about as awesome as still frames get:

HOW DOES IT END?!?:

No, I'm not sure how he got over there, either. But the run animation is a roll that will go on forever if you coax it:

Also, Nick Fury is in it if you play 2-Player or finish the game:

But then, it all ends. Watch your fucking back, Kenivel:
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about how awesome Punisher Arcade Game is (56 Reply with quote

GilloD wrote:
Flame throwers are another matter. Does anyone else find it funny that these flame throwers look like fire exstinguishers?

irony!

i like dead connection a lot.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound is decent too. Strange screams from Frank I ain't sure what he's saying, if he's saying anything at all. Also doesn't he jump off his van and do a flying kick through the back window of a school bus? And I like how he actually drops to the floor for cover when he throws a grenade.

Anyway yeah I love this game. This and Alien Vs Predator are probably me and my buddies most played scrolling beat 'em ups. I play it online sometimes too if I ain't got anyone around just to have Frank and Nick team up.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way the punisher smashes barrels and plants over enemies' heads is satisfyingly visceral. as are the comic-book sound effects.

take this, RED-LAMP. that's not even the best enemy name.

PRETTY LEGS. also the obligatory women enemies with fetish names.

i really like the way axes stick in the ground after you throw them, waiting to be retrieved.

and this guy. his name is "BUSHWHACKER".

and this guy. oh yes.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you actually access this level? I got here via the cheat on Kawaks and ya see a cockpit with pilots sorta explode and pan across to this but then when you try to play it just ends and you get a score thing pop up saying 7 Stage Complete or something and the credits roll. I've finished this game a few times and never come across that level. The cheat says it's bonus level 1 but I have no idea how to get to it in-game or if it's really playable and not just something they cut...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on one side of the plane, couples smooch away, seemingly oblivious to the plight of the people little more than a few steps away from them.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the couples embracing, actually enjoy there being stewardesses tied up and gagged in plain view?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
take this, RED-LAMP. that's not even the best enemy name.

Are the punches "meaty" and satisfying? Because this shot looks painful.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this only availalbe through MAME? It looks too awesome for screenshots to do it justice.
Wolverine

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAME runs it but so do Final Burn Alpha, WinKawaks and I think RAINE too.

I personally use WinKawaks as it runs faster for me (much smoother than MAME as it's more focused on getting CPS1&2 and Neo Geo games running and playable) and it has Kaillera netplay support.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs is worth a mention too. Where else can you punch a T-Rex in the gut?

I need to get my hands on this game again.

The more recent third-person shooter is quite something too.
Wolverine

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Capcom's scrolling beat 'em ups are worth playing. Not a crap one amongst them in my opinion. Just some are better than others is all. Battle Circuit is a lot of fun, Armored Warriors is for the mech fans and has some cool replacable parts. Captain Commando is decent enough and the Dungeons & Dragons games are great if you prefer the more fantasy setting. The Punisher, Alien Vs Predator and Final Fight are just my favorite ones. I personally feel Cadillacs & Dinosaurs is the weakest one but even that is still a lot of fun and definetly worth playing.

I'm a big fan of the recent Punisher game even though it has nothing to do with this one and not by Capcom. Satisfys my more brutal tastes in gaming nicely. Curious as to why Frank didn't get to be in Marvel Vs Capcom though. Maybe he wasn't flashy enough. I would have liked him in there, and especially Linn Kurosawa from AvP. She appears in Ken's background in Street Fighter Alpha 2 and her costume is worn in Namco X Capcom by (I think) the Forgotten Worlds shop owner?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to picture the over 50s veteran tactician psychotic sociopath Frank Castle from the Punisher MAX comics featured in a Capcom beat 'em up and it's making me all tingly.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like armored warriors.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Player 2 is Nick Fury? God damn that rocks. I feel like I have truly missed out. However, I played Aliens V.S. Predator till my mind nearly bled, so have I truly missed out? I really want to play this though. Could it be possible for a second Capcom Classics Collection?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Player 2 is Nick Fury!"
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:

How do you actually access this level? I got here via the cheat on Kawaks and ya see a cockpit with pilots sorta explode and pan across to this but then when you try to play it just ends and you get a score thing pop up saying 7 Stage Complete or something and the credits roll. I've finished this game a few times and never come across that level. The cheat says it's bonus level 1 but I have no idea how to get to it in-game or if it's really playable and not just something they cut...

There aren't any snakes on this plane, are there? That could lead to some silly situations.

Speaking of which - Nick Fury in (if I remember correctly) The Ultimates comic book was based off of Samuel L. Jackson... hmm...

I've never played Capcom's AvP game. The Punisher was one of the first MAME roms I ever obtained though, so I'm going to remember that game forever. There was this non-Capcom beat-em-up I played a few times that was so ridiculously cheesy that it was awesome... I think it was called Roar. The plot had something to do with enviromentalists, I think.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
All of Capcom's scrolling beat 'em ups are worth playing. Not a crap one amongst them in my opinion. Just some are better than others is all. Battle Circuit is a lot of fun, Armored Warriors is for the mech fans and has some cool replacable parts. Captain Commando is decent enough and the Dungeons & Dragons games are great if you prefer the more fantasy setting. The Punisher, Alien Vs Predator and Final Fight are just my favorite ones. I personally feel Cadillacs & Dinosaurs is the weakest one but even that is still a lot of fun and definetly worth playing.

I'm a big fan of the recent Punisher game even though it has nothing to do with this one and not by Capcom. Satisfys my more brutal tastes in gaming nicely. Curious as to why Frank didn't get to be in Marvel Vs Capcom though. Maybe he wasn't flashy enough. I would have liked him in there, and especially Linn Kurosawa from AvP. She appears in Ken's background in Street Fighter Alpha 2 and her costume is worn in Namco X Capcom by (I think) the Forgotten Worlds shop owner?

That one chick in Cannon Spike is dressed and acts just like Lynn Kurosawa, except she's a ganguro girl with pink hair. Or she's black. You just can't tell these days.

LJ -- Profile
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played through this.

Have no idea about the plane level...

A few random points:

Is my emulation (MAME) spotty or does the music tend to speed up and slowdown based on how much churning the CPU would have to do?

Also I think the thing that really makes this games is the odd ritual-like shooting Punisher and Fury do over the end credits, firing rounds, throwing grenades, duck-and-covering both in perfect tandem.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the names of the early Capcom Dungeons and Dragons sidescrollers, with just the basic characters like Elf, Cleric and such?
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean D&D: Tower of Doom and D&D: Shadow Over Mystara? They're both well worth checking out, even if the control scheme is a little baroque, what with all the potions and rings and such.

I'll strongly agree with the Punisher appreciate. It was one of several high points in the 2-D beat 'em up Capcom lineup-- which (despite Streets of Rage) I really think Capcom dominated. My sole complaint is that you can only really play as one guy (does Nick Fury count? If I remember right his movelist is the same as Punisher).

Oh, and the lance looks to me like a Ghouls 'n' Ghosts reference.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
What are the names of the early Capcom Dungeons and Dragons sidescrollers, with just the basic characters like Elf, Cleric and such?

There was one called King of Dragons that came out in the early 90's. I read somewhere that it's going to be on the next Capcom PSP compilation.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

There was one called King of Dragons that came out in the early 90's. I read somewhere that it's going to be on the next Capcom PSP compilation.

King of Dragons was pretty bitching. But King Arthur dominated.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King of Dragons was what I was thinking of. The actual "D&D" games were a little too obtuse for arcade play. Me want smash things!

If King of Dragons does show up on a compilation, I'm so there, although playing it by yourself on a PSP does seem more than a little strange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: