The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phantasy Star Universe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Phantasy Star Universe Reply with quote

36 Screenshots here. Honestly, after looking at all the screenshots, I don't see why it needs to be a 360. Not saying that it looks bad, it just looks like most current gen systems could handle it. Here is the news blurb (minor editing for important points):

"Phantasy Star Universe offers long-time fans the epic experience they have been clamoring for. The solo adventure features more than 40 hours of gameplay, an emotionally engaging story, traditional cut scenes, and strong character development. In Online Mode, players are given the opportunity to create their own characters from a range of races, and they get to explore all three planets in the Grarl solar system."

I am a bit disapointed. I mean, this was announced over a year ago now, so I have been hoping that since it would be an RPG/MMO hybrid game that they would make the single player game short and awesome, but my guess is that they have just packed it with fluff. Why can't anyone make an awesome 20 RPG anymore (well, aside from the M&L games)?

And why do cut scenes need to be traditional?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a PS2 game that was also developed on the PC and now happens to be ported to the Xbox360 to cash in on the effort they put into the PC version. Sonic Team has already done this a few times with the DC > PC for PSO v2 and to Gamecube > Xbox > PC with PSO Ep1&2.

When I played the game last year at E3 it seemed really boring. It was pretty much like PSO except with Xenosaga-esque 3d graphics.
...but I'll still buy just because I enjoy the online experience so much.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fred

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. If they can make a new console Phantasy Star Online that isn't hacked to death, I'm there.

I remember going online with my Dreamcast copy of PSO after I bought it back in '02, when the servers were still up... had to finagle a dial-up account from a friend and spend a half-hour on the Sega help line to reset the ID code for my (used) Dreamcast. Finally I connected, and I think it was on my second trip to the lobby that I got NOL'ed. Thankfuly I had read some Internet forums first so I knew what to do to save my data. I never went online with my Dreamcast again, though.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Universe Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Honestly, after looking at all the screenshots, I don't see why it needs to be a 360.

The 360's advancements are only partially on the graphics side. The bigger reason I like my 360 is the whole online all the time thing. This really makes Phantasy Star Universe a perfect fit.

I'm pretty psyched about the offline aspects in this game though. I played the original offline mainly just because they only offered dial-up. It was pretty boring so I'm glad they're putting some effort into it!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. It seems a little half hearted to me. It doesn't look like it contains that same Phantasy Star Online beauty and character design. It's as if everything is just way to "neon"

I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
everything is just way to "neon"

Did you play Phantasy Star Online?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
TheRumblefish wrote:
everything is just way to "neon"

Did you play Phantasy Star Online?

-Wes

Yeah. Of course. I played it way to much for my own health. I'm just saying, everything looks so bright in PSU. Like there is a lack of contrast. Then again, I may be crazy Wes.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Universe Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
36 Screenshots here. Honestly, after looking at all the screenshots, I don't see why it needs to be a 360. Not saying that it looks bad, it just looks like most current gen systems could handle it. Here is the news blurb (minor editing for important points):

"Phantasy Star Universe offers long-time fans the epic experience they have been clamoring for. The solo adventure features more than 40 hours of gameplay, an emotionally engaging story, traditional cut scenes, and strong character development. In Online Mode, players are given the opportunity to create their own characters from a range of races, and they get to explore all three planets in the Grarl solar system."

I am a bit disapointed. I mean, this was announced over a year ago now, so I have been hoping that since it would be an RPG/MMO hybrid game that they would make the single player game short and awesome, but my guess is that they have just packed it with fluff. Why can't anyone make an awesome 20 RPG anymore (well, aside from the M&L games)?

And why do cut scenes need to be traditional?
Well of course it doesn't need to be a 360 game. But it can. And that's all that matters.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
It's just a PS2 game that was also developed on the PC and now happens to be ported to the Xbox360 to cash in on the effort they put into the PC version. Sonic Team has already done this a few times with the DC > PC for PSO v2 and to Gamecube > Xbox > PC with PSO Ep1&2.

When I played the game last year at E3 it seemed really boring. It was pretty much like PSO except with Xenosaga-esque 3d graphics.
...but I'll still buy just because I enjoy the online experience so much.

Does it still play like PSO? I really, really dislike how it's so goddamn slow. And making the gun mechanics the same as the melee mechanics is _so dumb_. For some reason, the original PSO really intrigued me despite a lot of glaringly poor gameplay decisions. I could forgive that because multiplayer Action RPGs are amazing, but I don't know if I can do it again.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Universe Reply with quote

wankerwitson wrote:
Well of course it doesn't need to be a 360 game. But it can. And that's all that matters.

See also - the Dynasty Warriors game that just came out on 360 and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: