The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dessgeega needs money badly!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: dessgeega needs money badly! Reply with quote

much like the topic says, expenses are accumulating! and i need to save up and buy bus tickets to massachusetts so i can visit the person i like.

so, refer me to places i can type words for that will pay me? like, places you have experience with and can put in a good word with the editor re: me?

cash donations are welcome too. it was my birthday in february, you know!

i'll just be over here eating ketchup from a spoon. okay, i actually have tomato soup and vegan burritos, and lots and lots of peanut butter. but yeah, ketchup sandwiches aren't that bad in a pinch. you know what's really good, though? soft-baked pretzels dipped in tomato soup. you learn this when you can't afford what passes for a real diet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any popcorn/movie theater connections? Popcorn and peanut butter are pretty tasty together (fat+salt+more fat+more salt=mmm yum). I wish I was being more helpful here, but that's all I've got.
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could possibly use your work in the Gamers' Quarter as a journalistic credential, and try to get hired by an online website? It's a long shot, but it could work!
A job of some description in the day-to-day world? Even McDonalds is better than nothing, although that's a bad example, because I'm assuming your a vegetarian/vegan, because you mentioned the fact you have vegan burritos.
Sell some of your games? Rarer ones catch top price, but then again, you seem (to me, from your articles) the kind of person with emotional attachment to their games. Which is wholly understadable.

I've been no help, have I?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
Even McDonalds is better than nothing, although that's a bad example, because I'm assuming your a vegetarian/vegan, because you mentioned the fact you have vegan burritos

yup, i'm vegan two years as of next week. and, uh, mcdonald's is definitely out, given i won't work at any places that
1) support the meat industry on a large scale
2) union-bust
3) are mcdonald's
so that's three strikes against them! i would actually rather starve to death than work for mcdonald's, so it's okay.

yeah, what i really would like would be some regular writing work. i don't need a lot of money. i just need some. the real purpose of this thread is me asking for good places to try and find videogame-related writing work, as some of the other staffers do in fact have said work and thus have relevent experience and, additionally, contacts which may be helpful it getting me a favorable audience with editors.

also i'm hoping someone out of the kindness of their heart and in a fit of passion will write out a check to me. (note: paypal is preferred!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad says that in college he made tomato soup with free ketchup and hot water from fast food places and crashed weddings for their buffets.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Escapist? Next-Gen.biz?
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who funds The Escapist?

And why do I have the urge to stop using words and communicate with intuitive sound?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about Gamestop? I loved working there. You get to see what people actually buy rather than what everyone on the internet assumes they're buying. It's fun.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've actually applied for a job at a gamestop, but that's not something i tell people.

i'm trying to put something together for the escapist.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i've actually applied for a job at a gamestop, but that's not something i tell people.

From what little I've known of you, aren't you and gamestop as diametrically opposed as can be, within the category of gaming?

But if you get it, you must let us know where. We'll make pilgrimages.

Last edited by simplicio on Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, pretty much.

i'm very mysterious by the way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Have you thought about Gamestop? I loved working there. You get to see what people actually buy rather than what everyone on the internet assumes they're buying. It's fun.

Just yesterday I was chatting with an EB employee who explained that they actually sell WAY more copies of stuff like Chicken Little than licensed titles like Batman Begins.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Most people with enough money to buy a game (read: over age 12) know to avoid Batman games (and they just want Halo and GTA anyway). And the clueless parents/aunts who do so much of the actual purchasing for children just buy established kiddy tie-ins.
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if you ever wander by any place that has set labels under the games (like Target) you will always find that all the licensed fair and sports titles are empty. The stuff you expect people to buy is always there staring at you like a lost puppy.

If you do get an interview from EB\GS make sure to let them know that you only game casually if they ask about it. They are more interested in hiring people who are salesman first and gamers second.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

I put in an application in December and they never called me back. A friend of mine used to work there and apparently the salespeople are able to borrow the used games so they can know the product better. I thought that was pretty cool.
xvs07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, you could probably buy a goodly portion of lentils, rice, and other dry goods with what you'd spend on a bottle of ketchup, a loaf of bread, and a can of peanut butter. I remember the kitchen sink post all too well, but I think that if I can cook nourishing, cheap food it probably isn't out of reach for anyone. (I'm basically not allowed in the kitchen if there's anyone else around with even a smidgen of culinary skill.)

Also, have you tried asking around any local or online social networks (OkCupid, Craigslist, and Orkut are the ones that spring to mind) to see if anybody's got an odd job or two you could do? Might not earn you much cash, but if you're flexible about payment people can be surprisingly kind and helpful. For example, I recently hooked up with a gal in Minneapolis via OkCupid who fed me several times and worked numerous hours toward my interstate move in exchange for me doing some work on remodeling her basement. Honestly, if you fall in with the right person, the social network node and the comradery alone can be worth as much or more than straight cash.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, craigslist has some interesting stuff on it.

also, the worst personals ever. but that's beside the point.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
also, the worst personals ever.

yeah. there's a staggering amount of "my girlfriend just went out for milk and won't be back for 20 minutes." material.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

yeah. there's a staggering amount of "my girlfriend just went out for milk and won't be back for 20 minutes." material.

I really need to get out on the internet more.

There's some comedy gold I am not taking a part of.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

-Wes

I thought it was pretty miserable, only because you're pressured to sell people things they don't need/want. I'm sure it changes by area; I found it to be pretty miserable and the people you end up working with can be... well, awful. Also: the pay is terrible.

Though, you are correct - you get an excellent idea about what people are buying and what they aren't buying. You also can be an influence on what they're buying. I must have sold 20 copies of Dragon Quest VIII last christmas to kids who wouldn't have had it otherwise.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't grok Craigslist.

It's very good when you have a particular item you want or want to get rid of, from an apartment to an old toaster

But the way it seems to encourage drive-by-postings (by forgoing any kind of signup, which radically reduces the barrier to entry) makes it kind of cold.

And the way its classified ads are headline only is kind of ok, but even its "discussion forums" force you to click on every article you want to read... (I think "scroll browsing" is massively important for usability and maybe even community forming reasons.)

Or am i missing something? Is there a better way of having conversations there I'm missing? I wish I found it friendlier; it seems like a nice batch of likeminded people sometimes, or at least something that might be useful if I moved to a new urban area that had its own craiglist site....
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be mainly useful as a online classified ad system. I've done a fair amount of selling and buying and it works pretty well for that. The job listing system is pretty good too.

A friend also uses it for his "dick scams". Basically he posts a message as a buxom young lass out for a good time. When men contact him, he then requires them to provide picture proof of how they "measure up". Then he breaks it off. He says the guys on the SF Bay Area have pretty much caught on to the scam; however, he says that the Texas-based boards are a veritable treasure trove. I think he's got roughly 3 GBs of amateur dick photos at this point.

He also used to psuedo-pimp guys using Craigslist; that's another story though.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the internet can be a deadly place for a lonesome young man.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you supposed to follow that up? I'm a little stunned.

Anyway.

Two of my friends are going to school for English degrees, working on the side for different websites as games journalists. Both have had their current gigs for a couple of years now. Neither of them, to my knowledge, makes any money off of this yet, besides the steady supply of "evaluation copies" of new video games and the free E3 badge once a year. To make money one friend works odd jobs, writing and editing copy for various internal university publications; the other shelves books at the local library and works as a "community manager" for some MMORPG network. SOE, I think.

So yeah, it's hard enough getting started as a journalist these days. Trying to make money as a freelance niche journalist is a triple threat. I really would recommend looking for something locally if at all possible. Check with the local newspaper--the daily here pays a guy to write a video game review for a few bucks every week. As long as you don't smoke monkey crack or anything, you could have luck looking for clerical work through a temp agency; clearly you have sufficient mastery of the English language for work as a typist or copyeditor. It's not the most glamorous, I know, but if it pays the bills for now why not try it?

Sorry, I don't mean to be discouraging. I just see what these two friends of mine are going through, and it seems like they are facing the exact same dilemma as my friends from high school who are going into photography or theatre. In other words, you can totally do it, but for the first few years (or more) you will probably need a day job.

Last edited by Fred on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
He also used to psuedo-pimp guys using Craigslist; that's another story though.

To (somewhat) protect the character of my friend, it was closer to being a matchmaker than a pimp. There was no money involved.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a job at a pizza place yesterday. I'm excited.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Then he breaks it off.

Whoa, wow. Your story (okay, to be more specific-- Fred's reply) made me laugh for a good minute or so. Which is no good since I'm on a conference call at work. Thank you, mute button!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:
Then he breaks it off.

Whoa, wow. Your story (okay, to be more specific-- Fred's reply) made me laugh for a good minute or so. Which is no good since I'm on a conference call at work. Thank you, mute button!

I read it at school. It took all of my strength to not disrupt the class with the sounds of my laughter.
Wolverine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Makes sense. Most people with enough money to buy a game (read: over age 12) know to avoid Batman games (and they just want Halo and GTA anyway)

If there was a GBA port of Batman from the NES I'd most likely buy it...or wait til I got a PSP and a decent NES emulator.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
simplicio wrote:
Makes sense. Most people with enough money to buy a game (read: over age 12) know to avoid Batman games (and they just want Halo and GTA anyway)

If there was a GBA port of Batman from the NES I'd most likely buy it...or wait til I got a PSP and a decent NES emulator.

One of the first games I ever bought for myself was Batman Forever for the SNES. I only bought it because it had really good graphics and I was too young to realize that the game had loading times longer than some PS1 games.

Coincidently, one of the first games I ever traded into GameStop was Batman Forever for the SNES.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
simplicio wrote:

One of the first games I ever bought for myself was Batman Forever for the SNES. I only bought it because it had really good graphics and I was too young to realize that the game had loading times longer than some PS1 games.

Coincidently, one of the first games I ever traded into GameStop was Batman Forever for the SNES.

Loading time? On a cartridge? That's pretty bad.

LJ -- Profile
Wolverine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:

Loading? Maybe it was just unpacking a lot of data. I remember playing my cart of Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES and that has a lil pause before fights while it's 'decompressing' or something. Got used to it pretty quickly just cos it was amazing how much they packed onto that cartridge.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
Mr. Apol wrote:

Loading? Maybe it was just unpacking a lot of data. I remember playing my cart of Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES and that has a lil pause before fights while it's 'decompressing' or something. Got used to it pretty quickly just cos it was amazing how much they packed onto that cartridge.

Yeah. Didn't SFA2 use some sort of special method to pack that much info? Thinking back, it is pretty amazing they were able to fit that on an SNES cartridge.

LJ -- Profile
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't technically loading, it was "Waiting...", if I remember correctly. Since I had a rather overactive imagination at that time (I guess I still do, only it worked overtime when I was younger) I just thought it was the time it took Batman to unlock and open the door.

It wasn't just a slight pause either, but around 30 seconds of loading. Compared to SFA2 on SNES (which I remember playing around the same time but I don't remember any loading or anything) 30 seconds is a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: