The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I see no point in HD... Am I outside the mainstream?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: I see no point in HD... Am I outside the mainstream? Reply with quote

I noticed something recently.

I personally, perceive no improvement using DVDs over either VHS tapes or Video-CDs, and I see no improvement using HD TVs (with HD compatible programs) over regular old TVs.

(for the record, I do see a use for DVDs with regards to videogames, since they allow increased content, whereas with films, it mainly seems to be for a better picture, or some useless bonus material)

I noticed this a great deal over the last few days (having had it in the back of mind for years), and have been... How can I put this? Concerned by it slightly.

I went into a giant electronics store, and they had HD TVs on display, with big signs pointing out that they were HD, and on them they were running some kind of specially made program, showing insects close up, and fishes swimming around, things that had been magnified, etc. Film footage designed to show how much detail these TVs can display.

At least, I assume that's what HD TVs are meant to do. Show more detail? Because while a couple of locals were standing there oohing and aahing, I stood there confused as to why everyone was so excited, and why they'd pay so much for these TVs.

I saw no improvement!

Only when I moved much closer to the TVs, did it really become apparent these things were displaying a sharp image. For you see, I on purpose, for years now, have kept my spectacles' medical prescription lower than 20/20 vision. As a result, through my own choice, I walk around in a world that is blurry. Or naturally anti-aliased, if I wanted to say that.

This supposed new era of TVs means nothing to me, purely because I don't care to see things in sharp detail. 20/20 vision in the past has made me dizzy, gives me a headache, and is too sharp. Too many things to take in, especially in a world so dominated by advertising, and just plain ugly structures. I quite like things having a soft edge. It's like beer goggles, except it works on everything.

This also translates into my film collection. If I have a copy of something on DVD and VHS (I have this thing going where I get free DVDs from a relative abroad, hence the duplication of some titles), I'll watch the VHS and notice no difference in quality. Not unless I REALLY look for it. I was watching a Video CD yesterday, and it was fine. Having to change discs was a pain, but I couldn't see any loss of quality, not enough to warrant a bump from 1.2Gb, to what.... 3Gb, 4Gb, 5Gb on modern DVDs?

I feel kinda disillusioned, and kinda alienated by the consumer world. Remember when having an RGB cable was all the rage, and all you really needed for a good picture?

I'm posting this here, mainly because this forum has a smaller, more close knit community, and I dare not make such bold statements where thousands might read them. I'm also doing it mainly for catharsis. Does anyone else think even a remotely similar thing?

Last edited by Szczepaniak on Sat May 06, 2006 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolverine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly are you using to watch DVDs? Cos I can clearly see a much improved picture on movies I own on both DVD and VHS. My VCR broke a couple years ago and I've had absolutely no desire to get it fixed and basically use my VHS tapes now to prop things up really (have a few under my bed propping up where one of the wooden slats of the bed snapped) . Apart from the enhanced clarity I've never seen any white fuzz at the top or bottom of the screen like I would occasionally get with VHS tapes despite ages fine tuning the tracking. Plus theres the fact its much easier to rewind and fast forward movies and quieter too (back when I lived with my folks they hated me watching vids at night when they try to sleep cos of all the clunky tape noises and buttons.

By the way I have slightly blurry vision too after being wrongly prescribed to wear spectacles since the age of three. In the twelve years that followed they had been damaging my eye sight when I never needed them in the first place so now I'm sorta stuck with less than perfect vision yet I can clearly see a very visible different between watching a film on tape and the same film done for DVD.

As for HD. I haven't seen enough of it yet to warrant any consideration. Only just got me my own big TV finally and am having plenty of fun with that (I'm actually viewing this very page on it as I was just playing arcade games in MAME on the big screen via a TV out cable).
wourme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much dislike the DVD format, but just because it is way too fragile. I do notice the difference between DVD and VHS, but VHS tapes are a whole lot more durable.

Fortunately, it's possible enough to copy things on disc formats these days so you don't need to touch the originals. But unfortunately, that's still kind of a pain to do with DVDs and requires extra work/hardware to do with more recent video games.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHS tapes degrade faster than DVDs? (Probably?) The sound and picture quality of all my favourate VHS tapes has dropped a lot since I first got them, but I've only ever had one or two DVDs die on me, and they were home-made things.

Also, indexing! If you're watching a DVD and you want to get to a specific part - like a particular episode or something - you can just hit the right track number or whatever and it'll go straight there. With a tape, you have to know where to rewind the tape to... and even if it's indexed so your player knows when to stop, you still have to wait for the tape to rewind/fast forward.
Wolverine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
I very much dislike the DVD format, but just because it is way too fragile. I do notice the difference between DVD and VHS, but VHS tapes are a whole lot more durable.

Not fragile if ya look after them properly. Been using them ever since they first came out and I got DVDs from then are still in great quality.. And VHS tapes ain't that durable either really. Dropped a couple before that cracked open. And the day my VCR chewed up the only tape of my first recorded acting perfomance is still fresh in my mind.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping this topic would be more about HD, and it's utter uselessness. I see the benefits of DVD, just don't like the format much. I felt like ranting, so tacked it on the end of my HD rant. Bit of a mistake on my part really.

I watch DVDs on a dedicated DVD player. They are very fragile, and several of mine don't work anymore, despite not having scratches (these being commercial DVDs, not bootlegs).

I do notice a slight quality difference, when I really look for it. But I mean, I'm drinking a beer, I walk into the lounge, someone's put a film on, I sit for a few minutes, and it doesn't HIT me suddenly, that it's a DVD. It's not right away apparent to me, and it doesn't stick in my mind as significant. I mean, some people can see a shift in Frames Per Second when playing games, I don't notice this. Neither do I suffer from nausea when playing FPS games. I honestly don't think I pay enough attention to the world to notice these things.

Perhaps I should reword it:
Quote:
"The difference in quality isn't significant enough in my eyes, to warrant the one over the other when making a purchase decision. The frailty though, of DVDs, is a big factor, as is the fact that DVDs cost more than films (in most stores I visit). The one benefit DVDs do have, is taking up less space and being lighter in weight."
Wolverine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Szczepaniak"]I watch DVDs on a dedicated DVD player. They are very fragile, and several of mine don't work anymore, despite not having scratches (these being commercial DVDs, not bootlegs).
Quote:

Curious, as I have some 2nd hand movies (and a lot of games) that look to be fairly scratched and worn yet run fine on my PS2. Games in particular should be more the worry as they are much more often taken out and put in the machine and their own casing and used for much longer than any film.

Quote:
"The difference in quality isn't significant enough in my eyes, to warrant the one over the other when making a purchase decision. The frailty though, of DVDs, is a big factor, as is the fact that DVDs cost more than films (in most stores I visit). The one benefit DVDs do have, is taking up less space and being lighter in weight."

Actually around here DVDs can be pretty cheap. Picked up Donnie Darko, Leon, The Thing and Blithe Spirit all for £2.99 each recently. The brand news one rarely cost much more than the VHS version would have done back before DVDs were out and even then it's usually the multi-disc version which has far more content to warrant the extra price (a lot of movies have cheaper single disc versions for those people who'd rather just have the movie for less money). Also websites like Play.com offer cheaper prices than shops, don't even charge a postage/delivery fee and usually have a lot of special offers going which makes DVDs seem even cheaper to me at least.
wourme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
wourme wrote:

Not fragile if ya look after them properly.

I guess I should have mentioned that I tend to let people borrow my stuff a lot (including my poor copy of Rez--if that were a DVD, there's no way it would still work). Also, I can't imagine how people with kids around keep their DVDs and games in decent shape.

Minidisc was a step in the right direction--the benefits of both discs and cartridges. But then they stuck with the same old thing for DVDs.

I've never seen anything in HD, so I can't really comment on that.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
Actually around here DVDs can be pretty cheap. Picked up Donnie Darko, Leon, The Thing and Blithe Spirit all for £2.99 each recently.

Damn the French and their odd prices. DVD films here are prohibitively expensive, while VHS tapes are surprisingly cheap compared.

Funny you should mention Play.com, I used them today to buy Taito Legends 2 on PS2. Only £9.99! ^_^
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't care about HD, except when I see misconfigured HDTVs in restaurants and such stretching a 4:3 picture to fit the whole screen. That pisses me right off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GSL

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the only one, Szczepaniak. While I can percieve a slight difference in my DVD and VHS collection (mainly in the fact that my DVDs don't have snow or require tracking adjustment), I really think a lot of the fuss about HD is somewhat akin to the emperor's new clothes. I love the convenience of digital media as purplechair mentioned before--there's no rewinding, and no sitting through a half-hour of 'coming soon to a theater near you' advertisements, but I could not care less about the percieved picture quality. As a digression, widescreen pisses me off, too, but for a totally different reason.

Long live Laserdisc!
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widescreen? You mean where they put an annoying black bar the top and bottom of the screen, making it really small, and then someone tries to tell me that it's somehow better that way because it's like being at the cinema?

I find it stupid in the extreme. I'd prefer if they digitally stretched the film vertically (making things sem overly tall), or simply expanded the screen and you lost the sides. I hate black bars on my TV with a passion (it's a PAL thing), purely out of principle.

Apparently, with fancy digital TVs, you can manually alter and stretch the image being displayed. Is this correct? If so, the first thing I'd do is remove all black bars. Let's see them try and force that crappy widescreen format on me then, hey? Let's see them try it. Smile
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
wourme wrote:

Not fragile if ya look after them properly. Been using them ever since they first came out and I got DVDs from then are still in great quality.. And VHS tapes ain't that durable either really. Dropped a couple before that cracked open. And the day my VCR chewed up the only tape of my first recorded acting perfomance is still fresh in my mind.

This is a lie. They may work now, but any CD I have that's more than ten years old doesn't work, even if I've taken immaculate care of them. Optical media is just plain shitty, no way around it.

They should release games on vinyl.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
This is a lie. They may work now, but any CD I have that's more than ten years old doesn't work, even if I've taken immaculate care of them. Optical media is just plain shitty, no way around it.

This sounds outrageously sketchy to me. I've got quite a few CD's from the late 80's, and to prove the point I'm listening to one now (Violent Femmes, Why Do Birds Sing?). It sounds fine-- granted, there were some crappy analog-to-digital transfers back then that don't sound great, but that was an issue with the recording method, not the medium.

You must be making some unintended use of your older CD's that you're not telling us, Toups.

So yeah, HD, my in-laws love it, I don't see the draw of it myself. It's still at its show-off age-- where it's largely a "Hey, look!! It's HD!!!" sort of thing.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toups is right, CDs biodgrade, quite literally. Come the year 2014, all those rare Turbo Duo and Sega CD games we have will all have rotted to nothingness. Saturn and PS1 to soon follow.

It's depressing really. For a medium that has some true gems, they will eventually be lost entirely. Here's hoping a few of us have made copies by then. Wink
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john, you've always been outside the mainstream - except in my heart.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Widescreen? You mean where they put an annoying black bar the top and bottom of the screen, making it really small, and then someone tries to tell me that it's somehow better that way because it's like being at the cinema?

EXACTLY!

I think you may be my soul mate.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widescreen = good, because cropping movies ruins them aesthetically. VHS = good because I prefer simple cardboard sleeves to two tonnes of plastic that houses no more than a jewel case ever did. However, DVD = nice because I like bonus features and piracy.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage of HD is pretty much the same advantage as playing a game in 1600x1200 resolution vs. playing it in 640x480. You get more detail and the picture just looks much more crisp. Widescreen images on HD TVs should theoretically not have the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen because the screen should already be widescreen. If anything you'll see black bars at the left and right sides of the screen because the image was made for standard television instead of HD television.

I'm not sure if I even need to say this, but having widescreen makes a huge difference in games. Have you ever played a game that splits the screen vertically instead of horizontally? Doesn't this seem really annoying? In most 3D games it's imperative that you see as far as you can to the left and right. Enemies rarely come at you from the top or bottoms of the screen, they come in from the sides, and in driving games, finding the next corner when your peripheral vision is improved makes for a more fun experience.

I'm not saying it's neccessary, or even worth the cost, but if the technology is there and people are willing to pay for it why not go ahead with the HD revolution. The ultimate goal is to have watching TV emulate the experience of watching a story unfold through the window of your house. Right now HD doesn't quite bring us to that point, but we're closer there than we were when I used to watch Transformers on my 10" Black and White TV in my dad's basement.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Widescreen = good, because cropping movies ruins them aesthetically.

I disagree. I get no more pleasure from watching widescreen than I do good ol' pan & scan, and in fact I'm usually more irritated at widescreen for the black bars that collectively eat up about 1/3 or more of the screen's real estate. When your TV is only 15", that amounts to a lot of space. I suppose I wouldn't hate widescreen as much if we were still offered choices on our DVDs--both widescreen or fullscreen versions available for purchase, or both stored on the same disc as with DVDs of olde, but it's becoming increasingly prevalent to find DVDs only available in widescreen.

I'm just waiting for someone to flippantly remark that all I need to do is buy a widescreen TV. It never fails to happen when I make this argument.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widescreen = good, because cropping movies ruins several scenes. Go compare Ghostbusters fullscreen and widescreen if you don't think the edges of movies are important. Some of the best jokes are completely removed.

Pan and scan makes me physically ill, much the same way some videogames do.

I have trouble watching VHS tapes now. DVD didn't seem to be a big deal at first, but it's one of those things I adjusted to and can't go back. For my collection of bad movies, this is fine, because they're supposed to be bad. For movies I like, no. Too much fuzz, even on my nicest VCR. HD may be the same way. I won't know because it'll be long before I can afford one of those things.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember turner had a small documentary showing the differences between widescreen and pan and scan between movie showings. While the documentary itself was more or less some interstitial fluff to pad the movie times so they could start the next movie on the hour, it showed direct comparisons between widescreen and pan n scan. I was against those "experience-ruining" bars on the top and the bottom, but now I'm convinced that losing half of the picture is far more experience-ruining than half a screen of dead space.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well look, if you're only watching movies for the story and characters, pan&scan doesn't cut out the story, and it really doesn't cut out too many characters either (it's about 30% of the screen, but usually actors are positioned inwards just slightly past the rule of thirds if not front and center, so you see most of their faces nearly all the time).

If you're watching movies to watch movies though...
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main argument for widescreen movies goes like:

but, but.... preserving artistic integrity... ;_____;

Anyway. I don't mind black bars too terribly because it provides a nice color-neutral background for the movie to sit on. Another thing about pan and scan is that it has the unintended effect of blowing up a person's face on a screen. If we have a shot of someone's face in the corner contemplating a beautiful sunset on a wide-open prairie, the pan/scan shot will only aim to get as much of the face in as possible, even if the actual subject is the sunset on the other side of the frame.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm just waiting for someone to flippantly remark that all I need to do is buy a widescreen TV. It never fails to happen when I make this argument.

but seriously, don't most movies have both options? a lot of the stuff from netflix does.

at least the crap i rent.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think directors like it and discourage it whenever they can, and it probably costs the studios a lot(though probably not a whole lot, relatively) to make a fullscreen version. I could see them trying to phase it out as an excuse to push the whole HD ideal, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the HD topic I have seen Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360 demoing at the neighborhood Walmart on a lcd screen and I thought to myself that the screen is HD so that it must me the screen showing this amazing detail, but I have seen the 360 play call of duty on a 13 inch plain TV and you can still see striking detail. Which made me question myself and I believe that the HD is becoming more mainstream as more people become tech savvy, but we have yet to see what HD can really do since no one has really put it to good use (still recording using film instead of digital recorders and the such).

In short I agree that HD is just new and more people like it just because of that and the difference isn't screming there is something wrong with my eyes its too blurry (yet).

Wii has know this and has made a choice to be nonHD and I respect that. Not like those 360 owners who complain about it and don't own a HD TV.
GSL

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

but seriously, don't most movies have both options? a lot of the stuff from netflix does.

You mean, I'm missing out on widescreen penguin nuzzling?? Goddammit, I need to get my act together and get with the times!

Although I'm sure it's not inclusive of all DVDs, I've noticed older DVD releases either have options in the movie itself to switch between wide and fullscreen, or they did that awesome dual-sided thing that never ceased to confuse me ("Okay, so if it says fullscreen on the label, does that mean it's fullscreen when the label is UP, or is that side the fullscreen side?"). It seems that most newer releases lack those features entirely, and if I'm lucky I'll be able to find a seperate fullscreen release, but even those seem to be scarce with the new stuff that's coming out.

sawtooth wrote:
My main argument for widescreen movies goes like:

but, but.... preserving artistic integrity... ;_____;

I could bring in the argument that the widescreen aspect ratio found in DVDs and the like is still edited from the theatrical ratios seen in theaters, therefore rendering widescreen nothing but a deceptive ploy to make viewers THINK they're getting the complete theater experience. At least pan-n-scan is honest. But it's a rather moot point anyways--arguing with widescreen devotees over the merits of the format is like... well, it's tedious and goes nowhere.

Although I have yet to be anywhere near convinced with the 'but pan-and-scan cuts out vital scenes' argument. I have yet to see a single movie where a main character, event, or other important visual cue vital to the movie itself--the true artistic vision--is conspicuously excised from a fullscreen edit. The day I find a movie ruined by not knowing who or what is offscreen when I should, I'll convert wholeheartedly to the Church of 16:9, but until then I find it akin to SuperWes' computer resolution analogy above--640x480 and 1600x1200 are certainly different gaming experiences, but it's the same game, and if the developer (editor) did their job right, it should be no less engaging or 'true' to the artistic vision at 640x480 (fullscreen) than it is at 1600x1200 (widescreen).

Half Life 2 is a movie that looks as good in fullscreen (read: on my PC) as it does in widescreen.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

You just need a larger non-widescreen TV.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Half Life 2 is a movie that looks as good in fullscreen (read: on my PC) as it does in widescreen.

that's not quite true.

though the difference isn't something you're going to miss unless you get a widescreen setup, and then go back.

but it's definitely a different thing (for games that have a native widescreen solution.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose my analogy was a bit borked. I meant mainly that HL2, thanks to the scalability of the Source engine, looked as good running 640x480 on my rig as it did on my friend's 1024x768 with most all bells and whistles attached. I just tried to relate that to the wide vs. fullscreen and failed miserably.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

[thick Eastern European accent]

Are you.... a woman?

[/thick Eastern European accent]
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not coming near this thread with a 10 foot pole.

I disagree with almost everything said in one way or another. Actually, I kind of agree with Sawtooth a lot, but he has not said too much.

must hold back.
will return when I have hours to type.
have
to
resist...

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
GSL

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Greatsaintlouis wrote:

[thick Eastern European accent]

Are you.... a woman?

[/thick Eastern European accent]

For the sake of making a stand against widescreen/HD... I, uh, suppose?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I am not coming near this thread with a 10 foot pole.

I disagree with almost everything said in one way or another. Actually, I kind of agree with Sawtooth a lot, but he has not said too much.

must hold back.
will return when I have hours to type.
have
to
resist...

No joke. When I get home I'll type up an essay-sized counterpoint.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's start with just Pan and Scan VS Widescreen. I can handle that for now.

Quote:
Well look, if you're only watching movies for the story and characters, pan&scan doesn't cut out the story, and it really doesn't cut out too many characters either (it's about 30% of the screen, but usually actors are positioned inwards just slightly past the rule of thirds if not front and center, so you see most of their faces nearly all the time).

This is pretty false. If you are watching a movie for just "story and characters" why aren't you reading a book? (yes, a cliched comment, but well... don't ask) So lets just work with your false comments and go back to something older from our childhood.

This is the pan and scan shot from Neverending Story:

As you state, the characters are moved inwards and we still see their faces. You know what they are saying and you know what has happen. To bring the scene into context for people not familiar with it: this scene takes place after "the nothing" has devoured the world. A boy, in a world not his own, wants to help but dosn't know if he can. It is desolate, they are alone and there is nothing left. So, with this in mind perhaps it is easier to see why the scene was initally framed like this:

Now, moving onto the other thing here: that the characters are not always in the center. As previously stated, a good amount of of Ghostbusters jokes cannot be understood at all in the Pan and Scan version (I had no idea how bad this is), but there are smaller things that you don't even notice most likely:

VS

That is easy and obvious to understand exactly what is missing. But seriously that is not as important as other reasons. Dramactic impact. The eye views things not within a square like frame, but within a landscape type view that directors use to their advantage in film. This is the dramactic impact of just removing a part of the setting and background. As you can see here a simple plain with a few rock formations turns into an expansive land with many more details. Seeing the difference in films that you only watched in pan and scan as a kid in full widescreen format can be really breathtaking:

Also, as you can see with this last image and the stacking, that you can lose a bit more than just 30%. Even at a low end, 30% is still quite a bit to lose.

So, what is the main issue here? Well, the film was MADE in its original format with its original format as the only intended view to be seen. Reading the abbridged version of a book is not the same as reading a book, and not really even the same book to an extent, so why do this with films?

EDIT: I just found this quote, which sums up how I feel:
this site wrote:
I DON'T CARE. I WANT FULL FRAME.
if you want to be deprived of up to half of the picture, and disrespect the director's vision, that's your choice. But please, don't ask the dvd producers to stop making widescreen DVD's because of your preference. Some DVD players can force any disc to play in full frame. Don't force it on the rest of us who want to see the movie as it was intended to be seen.

Not only have I refused to buy dvds that were only released in Pan and Scan (some lazy compaines actually do this) or refuse to buy from places that don't carry the widescreen version (I have been in a Wal-Mart that did this, and also stopped renting from places that only stock full screen versions of movies), but I have returned accidental purchases from places that just mix the versions all together in the rack and I happen upon the wrong one. I think it is funny that they started to call Pan and Scan "Full screen" when it obviously is not full screen on a wide screen monitor.

EDIT 2: I would rather write about films than games, so don't take me too seriously, I argue with my parents-in-law all the time because they don't know the difference or care.

GSL

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
EDIT: I just found this quote, which sums up how I feel:
this site wrote:
I DON'T CARE. I WANT FULL FRAME.
if you want to be deprived of up to half of the picture, and disrespect the director's vision, that's your choice. But please, don't ask the dvd producers to stop making widescreen DVD's because of your preference. Some DVD players can force any disc to play in full frame. Don't force it on the rest of us who want to see the movie as it was intended to be seen.

Whoever the author of that quote is, he TOTALLY loses points for using 'disrespect' as a verb.

He kindof makes an excellent point, though it's a little bass-ackwards. I have never really felt that widescreen aficionados are in the minority and that producers are being pressured into releasing pan-n-scan-only versions; my experience has been the complete opposite. And that's the real problem I have with widescreen: instead of going side-by-side with traditional fullscreen versions of films, it's slowly phasing them out. I get belligerent because I have no reason to throw out my perfectly functional 15" TV, yet watching movies is a downright chore when my viewing area is the size of a business envelope; assuming I want to continue watching movies in the comfort of my own home, it feels like I'm almost being FORCED by publishers--and by extension, the rabid widescreen fans that make the market successful--into replacing my (again, perfectly functional) small TV for something that all of a sudden 'fits with the director's original vision'. It's becoming increasingly common to have the choice between tiny widescreen or no movie at all, and I completely resent that.

And pending further information, I call bullshit on said anonymous author's claim of DVD players that can adapt widescreen films to full frame. Unless, of course, he means DVD players with a zoom feature that can eliminate the bars, which is absolutely ridiculous. At least pan and scan films are edited to try and retain the original scene; you get no such luck with the liberal application of the zoom feature.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did I hear you say Outside the Mainstream?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a widescreen TV, but I still prefer widescreen movies. I don't mind the letterboxing at all, even if it's on a small TV, because I dislike Pan and Scan a lot.

Good non-film example - Resident Evil 4. That game would've lost a lot of it's magic had it not been presented in widescreen, and it would've been a lot harder to play. Pretty much every film made in widescreen is the same way. There's a reason most movies aren't done in a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
And pending further information, I call bullshit on said anonymous author's claim of DVD players that can adapt widescreen films to full frame.

For reasons out of my control I've been having to watch movies on my sister's crappy DVD/VCR combo player for the last week or so. The way it's hooked up (RF Modulator Crying or Very sad ), there are no letterboxing bars, and, as far as I know, it's not running in Pan and Scan either, it's just pushing everything onto the screen. It doesn't look as crappy as it sounds, surprisingly, although it's not ideal.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Stuff about square TVs

You know, I don't have a widescreen TV either? Well I do, but it is in the bedroom where I don't watch movies. Since January I have been watching all my movies on a 14" TV, and before that (from early Sep. till mid Jan) I was watching all of my movies on a 19" TV (but the speakers were worse).

I think you just aren't willing to give widescreen a chance. See, my parents in-law tried to argue pretty much the same points that you did. It's funny because they have a 58" projection TV.

TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
EDIT 2: I would rather write about films than games, so don't take me too seriously, I argue with my parents-in-law all the time because they don't know the difference or care.

I would rather write about both honestly, but welcome to my world. Seriously. You can't even understand how frustrating it is dealing with my parents, or anyone else in the town I live in when it comes to film. I think we've went over this before.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are hard sells and there are hard sells.

taste is a hard sell.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
there are hard sells and there are hard sells.

taste is a hard sell.

It's telling that Wal-Mart is the place that's pushing for Full Screen DVDs over Widescreen. It's also telling that Sczepaniak is the one that's pushing for Full Screen over Widescreen, but that's another story altogether. BAM!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that Szczepaniak is really Wal-Mart?
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he's saying I'm the kind of guy who typically shops at walmart. Sad

(which is totally untrue I'd like to add. My shopping habits are quite odd, non-predictable, and very eclectic. You can be so mean sometimes, Wes.)

EDIT:
Unless you're trying to say that I'm secretly the owner of the Walmart chain... In which case, damn, my secret is out.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
taste is a hard sell.

SuperWes wrote:
It's telling that Sczepaniak is the one that's pushing for Full Screen over Widescreen.

Does this help at all? I mean, he does like the CD-i Zelda games...

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The advantage of HD is pretty much the same advantage as playing a game in 1600x1200 resolution vs. playing it in 640x480. You get more detail and the picture just looks much more crisp. Widescreen images on HD TVs should theoretically not have the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen because the screen should already be widescreen. If anything you'll see black bars at the left and right sides of the screen because the image was made for standard television instead of HD television.

Black bars on the side distract me much more than on the top and bottom.

Therefore I will never own a widescreen TV.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone in Europe laughs at us in North America with our archaic 4x3 televisions. Aerisdead told me so.

I would rather have a widescreen television, but my Panasonic tube-TV is just so good there's no reason to upgrade. When this one dies (which may take a while), my wife and I would probably get something HD.

As far as movies go, though, I really have no interest in the forced "next-gen" format wars. DVDs + S-video = pretty damn good to me. Besides, have you seen the list of movies that are to come out on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD? Most of them are godawful shite anyway. I mean, are a few hundred lines of resolution going to make Doom 3 a good film? Hell, that's a movie I'd rather watch on a worn-out VHS tape, because it would take some of the taint away somehow.

Higher resolution games are all right for me, but I'll get to them on my own time. To be honest, I have an odd infatuation with playing videogames on little 14" tube-TVs; there's something beautifully intimate about a little TV with a game console propped up next to it. It's like cozying up with a book. I was in a vintage store two weeks ago and I saw an old, dial-operated, slightly miscoloured set with the SNES version of Street Fighter II running on it. I am sad to admit that I sort of caught my breath and looked on in awe. I suppose it reminds me of home, but I'm now determined to get one of these little TVs.

I played Silent Hill 1 on a 14" TV that sat a few feet from my couch. As I've said before, I've never been more terrified by a videogame in my life!
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Everyone in Europe laughs at us in North America with our archaic 4x3 televisions.

That's rich, coming from a place where 50Hz PAL is the signal standard.

Then again, I am a little jealous of the fact that RGB SCART inputs have been standard on most European TVs for much longer than US TVs have had component-in.
thatbox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are videophiles just like there are audiophiles, and there are videophilistines just like there are audiophilistines. Some people can't tell the difference between a 92kbps WMA and a 256kbps VBR Ogg Vorbis, and some people can and don't care. It's generally cheaper to be one of the guys who can't notice or doesn't give a shit, so more power to them.

But the difference between 640i's 204800 pixels and, say, 720p's 921600 exists all the same. Look at a crappy webcam shot and put it up against a 1280x720 digital picture. Voila. And it isn't even just raw resolution, it's interlacing vs. progressive scan. 60 fields per second is 30 frames per second, while 60 frames per second is 60 frames per second - which means you're getting even more information per unit time even on top of the size disparities.

Some of you like playing games on 15 inch CRT TVs. Challenge! Take your 15 inch CRT TV and put it next to your similarly sized CRT computer monitor. Grab your Dreamcast and your VGA box, and then start up Skies of Arcadia or something on one and then the other. Oh man! And that's not even HD! (It's just 480p, while HD proper is 720p or greater!)

It certainly is a different feel from the era of playing SMB3 via coaxial RF cable plugged into a TV from 1970, but there's a place for each paradigm in The New World.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: