The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silent Hill: The Movie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Silent Hill: The Movie Reply with quote

I have it on good word that Matt went to go see this last night. I have sort of middle road expectations for it. I'll be happy if it keeps the feeling of Silent Hill and don't really care if it sticks to the plot at all. Strangely, this is the opposite of why I liked the Resident Evil movie. It really kind of established its own style and dropped in plot and visual ties to the games when neccessary. The second one stuck a lot closer to the games plotwise and ended up pretty terrible as a result.

Matt and his wife are going to Silent Hill again tonight to see it with me and my woman. I read a review that seemed to imply that there are gaping plot holes. For some reason that raised my expectations that it might actually have a lot in common with the games. We'll see!

// Space Reserved for further impressions //

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, uhh. What are you guys expecting? Is anyone NOT going to see it tonight?

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not going to see it tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am.
B coma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna see it! woo!
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might go see it tonight. That depends if I can find the money to go see it. I'm not expecting much honestly. As long as Pyramid Head doesn't do any Kung-Fu moves, it will be all right with me.

By Kung-Fu I mean, jumping off a wall to kick someone. Grappling with the main character while she uses some form of duel melee weapons, and or suddenly having a change of heart and deciding to help the main character against a GREATER EVIL!!

Wait, Resident Evil Apocalypse already did that. The first movie pushed the limits, but the second one was just outrageous. So as long as they don't treat Pyramid Head, or any other creature in Silent Hill like Nemesis, it will be o.k. I hope.

KUNG FU!

SuperWes wrote:
Strangely, this is the opposite of why I liked the Resident Evil movie. It really kind of established its own style and dropped in plot and visual ties to the games when neccessary. The second one stuck a lot closer to the games plotwise and ended up pretty terrible as a result.

-Wes

Also, I'm not attacking why you like the first movie either. I kind of did too, in a sick way. But I just don't want a Nemesis Kung Fu Pyramid Head creation. Or do I?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not.

i was kinda into it until i saw recent trailers. also: sitting through movies is really boring.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i'm not.

i was kinda into it until i saw recent trailers. also: sitting through movies is really boring.

Unless, Steven Seagal is in them?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to see it. I initially had no hope of it being worthwhile, then I had a little hope for a short time, but then I lost it all again.

As with movie adaptations of books that I like, if it's bad or even mediocre, I don't want to be stuck with the movie images and events in my mind instead of the real ones when I think about the story.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
dhex wrote:
i'm not.

It was my mentioning of Kung Fu that brought Steven Seagal up. Protipx4: Steven Seagal is one of the top three leading entries for the term "Weeaboo". Just fire up Wikipedia and type in "weeaboo". He also has an energy drink and likes to sleep with baby-sitters. The Colt M1911 is featured in almost every single one of his films.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
seryogin wrote:
dhex wrote:
i'm not.

It was my mentioning of Kung Fu that brought Steven Seagal up. Protipx4: Steven Seagal is one of the top three leading entries for the term "Weeaboo". Just fire up Wikipedia and type in "weeaboo". He also has an energy drink and likes to sleep with baby-sitters. The Colt M1911 is featured in almost every single one of his films.

Nah, it's a running joke between "those in the know" that dhex has a taste in movies of an Afghan schoolchild: Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, and the Belgian dude. I'm not sure if he likes Dolph Lungred or not, but that would totally make him cooler.

Trvia: dhex's favorite movie is Bloodsport, which is a movie I haven't watched since I was five.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Trvia: dhex's favorite movie is Bloodsport, which is a movie I haven't watched since I was five.

That's a movie which I shouldn't have watched since I was five.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who works at the local five-screen cinema said it was really good (they got to preview it last night), and if he said it's really good it must be pretty damn good because he's pretty hard to impress, movie-wise.

I'm going to go see it either tomorrow or Sunday, depending on if I have time or not.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, it's kickboxer, which is far superior to bloodsport in every way, including a keith hernandez look-alike.

runner ups include lionheart, above the law (whose hot dog is this?) and breaking the waves.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
actually, it's kickboxer, which is far superior to bloodsport in every way, including a keith hernandez look-alike.

runner ups include lionheart, above the law (whose hot dog is this?) and breaking the waves.

What's you opinion of Michael Dudakoff?

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Cyborg was pretty good, to take the Van Damme angle.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it~!!

It was better than I expected, coming from the same guy who directed Brotherhood of the Wolf. You should watch it just to see Pyramid Head~!!

...and the T-1000-like lady!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit Seryogin, you had to drop Seagal's name into the conversation and just totally curdle it like month-old milk. The mere mention of Steven Seagal creates almost as much blinding hatred in me as Dan Brown does. I suppose I hate Seagal because he's the original Wapanese otaku. Long before we had students that sat in their college Japanese classes and asked the teacher to translate lines from Dragonball Z, or gushed about their cosplay experience at the last anime convention they attended, Seagal was out there aping the whole white-disciple-of-every-goddamn-Asian-martial-art-that-may-have-but-probably-didn't-exist role, along with whatever random cultural references he felt like awkwardly sprinkling in. I mean, hell, his new energy drink thing has the goddamn character for--wait for it--ENERGY featured front and center on the can! That only a half-step less trite and passe (please imagine that silly accent mark over the 'e') than seeing some white honkey walking around with the character for 'power' tatooed on his bulging bicep.
Also, I blame Seagal's for allowing Chuck Norris to achieve popularity, which is a mortal sin in its own right.
And that damn ponytail!

But, uh, anyways... I'd like to see Silent Hill, as the previews have not given me that creeping sense of impending doom that most videogame movies do; it actually looked to be rather true to the game in all the ways that matter. I'm just not sure if I'll see it tonight--I doubt any theaters here are showing it yet, and if they are, I may have a schedule conflict. I might try to check it out Saturday though, time permitting.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
TheRumblefish wrote:
seryogin wrote:
dhex wrote:
i'm not.

Nah, it's a running joke between "those in the know" that dhex has a taste in movies of an Afghan schoolchild: Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, and the Belgian dude. I'm not sure if he likes Dolph Lungred or not, but that would totally make him cooler.

I understand now. That makes me smile.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

american ninja is lame.

Quote:
Also, I blame Seagal's for allowing Chuck Norris to achieve popularity, which is a mortal sin in its own right.

lies. the first four segal films are SOLID GOLD. everything else is viscous dreck of suckitude.

also: i used to tell people that walker texas ranger was a great show to watch when you wanted a pick me up and everyone laughed at me.

WELL THEY FUCKING LAUGHED AT HITLER TOO.
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing this tomorrow.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
dhex wrote:

What's you opinion of Michael Dudakoff?

-Wes

The American Ninja movies were my favorite movies when I was 5-7. It's pretty hard to describe how awesome they seemed at the time.

EDIT: dhex, you suck, American Ninja rocks. Though, hell, I was five and didn't know English or really what the fuck was going on and why this dude was throwing screwdrivers at other dudes, but it was damn compelling at the time.

At twelve I thought Walker Texas Ranger was great. See previous paragraph for context.

EDIT2: greatsaintlouis, Seagal is great. How can you not like a walking joke of a human being? (no ire for the hex meant)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it.

This movie really was made for people who take gaming somewhat seriously! So I enjoyed it.
Kinuko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it this morning, first show in the area.

I really enjoyed it, actually. The parts where it stuck to the game were done pretty accurately and beautifully, and Pyramid Head's appearance was absolutely amazing. The second half of the movie kinda split off from the game and went into its own thing, which was kinda mediocre and the ending was really iffy. The acting (especially Cheryl/Alessa/Sharon) was pretty bad, but you're not gonna go see the movie to see great acting anyway, right? The biggest thing going for the movie are is the visuals. I think it was done absolutely perfectly.

I'm going to go see it again this weekend, and possibly a few more times after that. I dunno, I just really liked it.
GSL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
EDIT2: greatsaintlouis, Seagal is great. How can you not like a walking joke of a human being?

Doesn't that question answer itself?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it last night. I really liked it a lot, but everyone I was with pretty much hated it. As a movie it was pretty much crap. Silent Hill's story itself is a waste. It's just an excuse for a town that I'd be pretty happy existing with no excuse. The themes, visuals, and feelings are really what Silent Hill is about to me and these were captured dead on.

Thankfully, as mentioned above, this is the stuff I went to see and I walked away happy. Oh yeah, the barbed wire tentacle rape was pretty cool too.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
american ninja is lame.

Quote:

lies. the first four segal films are SOLID GOLD. everything else is viscous dreck of suckitude.

also: i used to tell people that walker texas ranger was a great show to watch when you wanted a pick me up and everyone laughed at me.

WELL THEY FUCKING LAUGHED AT HITLER TOO.

Walker Texas Ranger is not a great show, when you're hospitalized and you have to watch it for two days straight. Otherwise, it is just fine.

American Ninja is one of the most silly things I have ever seen. When I was a kid though, it was AMAZING.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sister saw silent hill with her boyfriend.

apparently, she thought it was stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks good, anyway.

My one sentence review of the movie:

I can't wait to play the game!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Silent Hill's story itself is a waste. It's just an excuse for a town that I'd be pretty happy existing with no excuse.

This is obviously because you don't listen to the things I say to you. Silent Hill neverwas--never has been, never will be--a town.

Anyways, I just wrote up my complaints about it and I am going to spoiler text everything except my positive (non-spoiler) comments... which are few. Only reply if you honestly want to fight me tooth and nail about it.

I can pretty firmly state that these two camps you are talking (refering to this quote of ajutla: "one camp wanted it to be an atmospheric tribute to the game, and the other camp wanted it to be A HORROR MOVIE.") about were always there and they were not two camps. Purchasing <i>The Silent Hill Experience</i> for the PSP I have to say that, well aside from having almost all the video in the wrong aspect ratio, it sheds some light onto things.

See, what Gans said he was trying to do was portray his experience of playing the games to the audience. You can see that he understood the symbolism (and even fixed the absence of symbolism from the first game), but, then why pull things out of their elements?

Simply, he had to think they were the coolest things ever. If you look at the two main elements that were taken out of the second game (the straightjacket-walking-spewing-things and Pyramid Head) they don’t fit into the symbolism of the movie. Even if take PH at face value from SH2 (as an executioner from the towns history) it still just barely works. The straightjacket things still don’t fit into the symbolism at all. Both of these were there before the parts that you refer to lovingly as when “things start to suck pretty hard.”

So here is the first tip that things have been planned this way from the start.

I am going to break off from that line of thought for a second because I don’t want to get overly excited about how bad those choices were.

There is really nothing too wrong with that fade from white exposition theme: granted if it was broken up into about 3 parts, spread throughout the movie, and did not have a voice over. But that’s besides the point—not really. The other half to this is that there is a lot of excess in the movie. While I <i>get</i> what they are trying to do with the husband (I must say his role worked out better than I expected) I think that a good 75% of his scenes should have been cut/trimmed down.

This is not all, just the largest things that I can point to.
There really is a good 80-90 minute film in the movie: even barring the bad acting, and the sometimes poor attempts at a Lynchian style.

So now I vent a little:

The acting of the little girl is terrible 70% of the time. When she is acting as Samael (sp?) she is a little better then when being a little girl, but not too much. The other side to this is that almost all of here acting as a little girl is unnecessary. Overall there is a lot of unnecessary acting (though there are many points where the amount of dialogue is appropriate). The entire sleepwalking bit at the beginning needs to be cut out, it is terrible: it set me up for major disappointment.

Now, let’s move onto me complaining about the fact that there are <b>too many damn people in the <s>game</s> movie</b>. Silent Hill... umm, I don’t how to put this: Silent Hill has the capacity to hold that many people, because it is not a town, and while it “makes sense” internally with the new plot (and the amount of death at the end is cool) it does not capture the feel at all. It is the polar opposite and actually betrays the feel of the game.

So what is left? Not much. I don’t think I will ever play Silent Hill again. Like Gans said: he was trying to turn his experience of Silent Hill into a movie. Now the game is soiled on and ruined for me. I can’t really explain why. It is not even that someone who has not played the game will get the same feel from it, not at all, it is just that Silent Hill is a place that calls you and takes you there. Now the whole damn country and soon anyone willing can have the experience at home, or on their computers. They don’t have to think or act, it will just be fed to them. Then they will all have the same, hive-mind-esq, experience: that is what Silent Hill will become. One of the reasons that I could talk at such lengths about the game was because everyone had a slightly different experience with the game, had a slightly different interpretation of the game, picked up on slightly different facts of the game. Those are gone now.

Anyways *(SPOILERS)* the PH “ripping” sequence on the steps, and the <s>barbed-wire</s> tentacle rape sequences were pretty bitchin’.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Silent Hill's story itself is a waste. It's just an excuse for a town that I'd be pretty happy existing with no excuse.

EXACTLY.

Yeah, the movie was bad. I wrote a post in my LiveJournal describing my feelings. Despite your protests, I'll duplicate that post here. :-) There are spoilers, of course, so read at your own peril.

- -

I'm going to make the same post I'm sure a lot of other people are making. So... Silent Hill.

It really is too bad that thet movie was, in the end, not great. I place personal blame solely on the one man who swore he wouldn't let this happen, yet ultimately was the chief reason it did: Roger Avary. At least, I'm blaming him because one of the two points that dragged the film down were the most important: the screenplay. I'm also blaming him in an indirect way for the other major shortcoming of Silent Hill: the acting. I imagine it's difficult to really bust your acting chops with lines as bad as the ones Avary penned.

To wit: the main character, Rose, bursts into a scene, sees her only ally is dead and burned to a crisp, sees her daughter about to share this fate, and then actually has the gall to call to her daughter, as if her husband left her and she's still in shock, and say, "Don't worry, baby, everything's going to be all right!" The theatre met this with understandably uproarious laughter.

The direction wasn't bad; the camera work was mostly spot-on (I liked the occasional nods the camera angles used in the game), the film sure looked fantastic, and the sound, in places, really worked. But Roger Ebert really did have it right when he said, "... I cannot describe the plot of this movie." You sure can't, and it really didn't have to be that way.

Silent Hill is not about the "cult" that once practiced there. Cults are one of those lazy literary clichés, like amnesia and satanism. There isn't a movie-going audience alive in the western world who isn't so jaded that the mere mention of a "cult" ruins the suspension of disbelief. So using the games' cult subplot as the main focal point of the movie was a big, big mistake.

In essence, Silent Hll is about these things: lonliness, fear, confusion, paranoia, and a real, in-your-marrow brand of horror. It is not primarily about: running around a foggy town, following clues, or trading barbs with glassy-eyed cult leaders. Those are more like gameplay elements, not cinematic ones. The fact that Avary and co. decided the most compelling aspect of the Silent Hill games was the endless running around town is disconcerting. Maybe they shouldn't have played the games; maybe they should have watched tapes of somebody else, and fast-forwarded all the gameplay filler.

In the game, we have no choice but to endure (and, honestly, enjoy) the endless running, clue-hunting, and exploration because without these elements, we'd have no game to play. Film is another medium altogether — why would you ever want to focus on these elements? Where's a cinematic character's motivation for running around a ghost-town willy-nilly, with no real concern for her own safety (or for common sense)? It's a hard sell, and in the theatre I was in, no one was buying.

What Gans and Avary should have done is look at the cinematic works that inspired the games and use them for inspiration. Lost Highway, The Shining, Jacob's Ladder — studying these films would have revealed Silent Hill's biggest inspirations as a game and a treasure trove of film material. In all three of these movies, the storyline is intentionally kept vague while the frightening results of what's going on are always centre stage. I think the plot to Jacob's Ladder is quite clear once you've watched the entire film, but during the process you are always guessing, desparate to piece the separate bits together into a cohesive narrative. The Shining (somewhat less so) and Lost Highway are the same. The benefit to all three films is their visceral impact; when you're as disoriented and scared as the characters, the truly frightening stuff starts to get past your armour and really do some damage.

And yet, in all three movies, you never question the motivation of the characters. They behave like real people, and when horrible things start happening to them, they react accordingly. This is simply not so in the Silent Hill movie, because Avary didn't understand the motivations of the characters.

Looking for your child: yes, we get it. The cult? No, not so much. You don't believe in the cult because the notion of a cult, as I mentioned, seems so silly, so cartoonish. Besides, the cult — and the film's one big admission that its plot doesn't work — aren't important! They don't explain what's going on in Silent Hill.

And here's the kicker, the point of all this: they were never meant to. That is, they don't matter. Strip away all mention of the Silent Hill cult, and the core of the story remains the same. I mean, the idea of some dim-witted, small-town moms and dads deciding that birthing a demon-god would be a good idea (or the movie's version of this) — well, that's a tough sell in itself. So why bother? My wife said it best: "Why did they have to explain everything?"

And she's right. They didn't. They shouldn't have. Silent Hill isn't as scary near the end, when you know what's "going on," as it is in the beginning, when you haven't a clue. When you're wondering what that siren is, and why everything's dark, etc. the game has complete hold over you. The film should have taken Silent Hill's best elements and made a related movie, instead of trying to directly translate a plot that was written by Japanese writers about a fictional American town in order to flesh out a six- to twelve-hour videogame.

Keep the cast small, like all three movies above did. Keep the movie focused. Keep the plot simple: woman loses her daughter in an old, abandoned town, and holyfuckwhatdidIjustseeoverthere? Don't show the monsters so much; make it seem like Rose is losing her mind, or that she's seeing things. Hell, even the first game used the light-dark dynamic better by never showing the transition (until the end). What this did was create disbelief and confusion in the player; you didn't know if your character was hallucinating, dreaming, going crazy, or what. And my, isn't that a powerful cinematic element right there! Make us care about your three main characters: Rose, Sharon, and Cybill. Sharon's missing, Rose reluctantly looks for her, Cybill is investigating but has problems of her own.

Give us scenes where Rose questions herself, where she perhaps doesn't want to find her daughter, because she is just too goddamn scared and torn because of what she's seeing (or thinks she's seeing). (In narrative terms, that's called conflict!) Make all the parents in the audience think, Would I do it? Would I continue on? Cybill makes the perfect Doubting Thomas, the audience's point-of-view. If Rose experiences something terrible and unimaginable, and Cybill sees this, what will she see? The same as Rose, or something altogether different? Or, perhaps, nothing at all, further causing we the audience to wonder if Rose is truly going mad? *

The end of The Shining could be interpreted different ways, and the film's ambiguity made it better, more terrifying than the book it was based on. At the end of the day, what mattered is a little boy's father was stark, raving mad and was trying to hack him up with an axe the way his predecessor did his own family. The specific reasons were better left to the imagination of the audience, who — as always — will pencil in their own fears in place of those given to them.

This is Silent Hill's biggest failure: it tried to explain something that defies cohesive explanation. Better to blacken out all the plot bits that confound to the point of contradiction, and focus on the characters instead. In the end, I know I'll get the DVD anyway, because I'm a sucker, but it won't be without a heavy heart.

(The demon babies truly freaked me out though, sending an icy chill down my spine when the first one let loose with its terrible cry. God, it was like I was alone at home at 3 AM again, playing the game.)

* Note that the original game actually did this, thereby trumping the movie!
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first reaction to the movie:

"Goddamnit Gans... how could you fuck this up?"

LJ -- Profile
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think expectations were a little too high.

the reason something like silent hill 2 gets recognized for being what it is (groundbreaking) is because it's a video game doing something outside the set boundaries of "video game" topics. it's not because it's truly breaking new ground; the plot and characters are only a few steps up from mid-level lovecraft.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup Lestrade, we saw the same movie.

Although, I can't say that I blame Avery as much as you do. The more you know about movies the more you know how little the real script actually ends up being the end product if you have good actors.

[EDIT]: I am about to re-edit the movie and basically go over the entire things scene for scene. This is probably the worst spoiler you could read!

Anyways, about Rose: imagine that the movie starts at the gas station. No, scratch that. The movie starts with Cybil writing down the license plate as Rose is driving off.

Why is she writing the license plate?

So then she is driving and gets pulled over, then sees Silent Hill off ramp and drives towards it. Why did she do that? Then the ghost girl walks in front and the accident happens. In the blackness of the knock out the title card for the movie comes up.

What the hell is going on?

So she wakes up and makes the call to the husband, things are starting to fall into place as to why she is there, but you are not expressly handed the information. You have to peice it together. So then the looking happens, the burned out children happen, then she hits the ground and blacks out right before Johnny Cash sequence: cue the first flashback.

Remember what I was saying about the HUGE flashback exposition being OK, just not how it was presented? Well you can take out the voice over and have section of the burning happen here. Now the smart section of the audience would have made the symbolic association with the enemies when the movie was finished.

So then the movie proceeds as it did before, the handcuffing, the maps, then the school. This is where it gets tricky. Like I said, I would have cut a lot of the husband sequences. I would have shown him pulling up to the car around the same time, but no where near the amount of explanation/exposition. I mean, the whole "Cybil stayed with a kid for 3 days" story is told 3 times during the movie. Just him pulling up and having enough to show that it was the same day/time, but NOT the same place at all. Anyways, sometime around when Rose and Him are in the same area I would do much shorter cuts and better interlacing with more fearful/dramatic/heavy music (still, I would use it from the games) so that if you are in the right frame of mind you would think something climactic may happen then he just says "I smelled her" and it cuts to Rose then running into PH. That other cop would have almost no dialogue.

Now, see when the school starts to go black (sorry to back track a little, bear with me), between the flash light flickers I would interlace the other school flashbacks (they start the damn flashbacks while she is awake anyways). You get the part where the Janitor (who.... I really don't like. He feels like he is in there just to have a sexual related symbolic monster) is in the bathroom when she bursts in. Then flashlight flicker. Then the mother (Dalia) is pulling her out of the stall. Flashlight flicker. Then you have just a very short sequence where the cult leader says "just tell us the fathers name". Then the flashlight turns on permanently.

Ok NOW! Moving on.

Hopefully even by this point the most inept of viewer is making the connections and starting to piece together what the hell is going on. When Rose is questioned about "why are you here" or starts talking about her daughter you get the same "she sleepwalks, and talks about Silent Hill" but instead of recalling the HORRID intro you get this almost profound... "what the fuck is going on?" moment.

Back to the light, follow the clues. Get to the hotel. Now... I would have to do a bit of work, but I think that the one villager is still ok. I would definitely cut a bunch of lines from her. Then you follow the clues, go behind the wall (COMPLETELY remove the knife from the movie at all. I am almost thinking it is a nod towards SH2, but either way, everything involving the knife is clichéd) then follow Samael/Demon Girl, and when you corner her, you cut her speaking part and you just show her burst into flame. NOW, before you cut back to Rose freaking out, show the part of the flash back of them getting out of the car and going to the room and then the screaming and the burning. Cut out the cop carrying her away, and end right before the hospital.

Cut back to Rose freaking out and being like, "did you see her?" Then you can see that grate/grill cover, that is over the center of the pit and INSTANTLY make the connection again, not be dependant on remembering this inane detail to a cheesy part of the movie an hour later.

This is where it become more difficult to work with what is available.

So, if the audience was paying attention you should have pieced together most of the plot while other things are still lost to you, or just foggy (like the town). So you can cram the rest of the horror down the throat of the viewer with the “plot” out of the way. You follow the girl to the church, show Dalia on the steps, PH comes up and does the awesome rip, then the whole church stares at them soaked in blood.

None of this “BURN THEM” shit that happens so damn frequently (all I could think of was Monty Python during this section). Just cut to the cult leader leading them around upstairs with the 3 cult members and asking how they got there. Then she agrees to take them to the elevator. Then you have the outside the elevator sequence and then Cybil pulls the stopper, elevator falls, Rose screams/cries, then after the final wack of the pipe on Cybil’s head it cuts to the final flashback: Alyssa in the hospital. You see the nurse look in, then Samael comes up, peers in and promises that they all live in her eternal dream/nightmare (or not! Which may make things much more interesting and allows the viewer to draw whatever conclusion they want) then cut back to the elevator door opening.

So then when she gets to the end of the hall you have the flash of white (because, honestly the impact of the brightness works) and then fades out slowly to the dark hospital. This would also involve some cutting, but then the womb section would happen and she would go back (which is never quite stated how she gets back).

First: Leave Cybil dead. She was heroic and proud when she died originally. I think that they honestly forgot to write in enough “good guys” to die at the hands of the cultist, so they just brought her back to life. Cutting this would be difficult, but you basically have to make it so that you cut to the girl screaming (no cult talking) while tied to the ladder. The door bursts open and Rose comes in and walks straight up to the cult leader (I could edit in the walking and the punches with no talking I think) and then she confronts her and then the ending sequence happens. The movie would proceed as previously.

This would do a couple of things: the cult would remain more unified in the audience mind, not a bunch of people in a cult, but just a cult, just one new character. It also gives the end wires an excuse to kill a fuck ton of people (which… I admit is cool). It also cuts down on the terrible lines at this point. Rose holding her daughter, Samael trying to freak out the daughter.

Since it was already written this way I couldn’t do what I would love to, and that be the rebirth ending. Completely remove--what the hell was the daughters name?—the part where she gets found with Dalia, completely remove her from being burned, still have the mother being distraught and the audience being confused as to what is going on. Then have the rebirth. Have Sameal let Rose go from Silent Hill with a new daughter in her womb, and have Rose cry with Chris in their loss of their daughter. But, no this can’t happen, so I won’t do it (although it would be the better thing. . . or not, because this current ending leaves no room for a direct sequel).

There are a few more overall changes I would make, but most important I would add a really light film grain to all the “dark” sequences.

Anyways, yea, so like I said in my (bottom of last page) post, there is a good 80 or so min movie in there. I can see it. I am SERIOUSLY debating on trying my hand at editing film again (I have not touched the stuff in about 6 years) when the DVD of Silent Hill comes out just to see if I could reveal the gem in the shit that is currently being passed as this movie.

Sorry if this is really confusing.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper: SHIT YES.

It's amazing what a little editing can do. Seriously, that was some serious turd polishing. With the available footage it still couldn't be perfect, but you have made it into a very workable film.

I was thinking before you wrote it: get the DVD and try your hand! I'll pay for my copy. :-) I'll even create the box art for it.* Who thought that 1.5 hours of running around and then some forced exposition was a good idea? (Suddenly I'm remembering The Matrix: Reloaded.)

P.S. Everyone I was with also thought that Cybill was dead, and accepted that, because the implied death seemed so brutal that everyone was wincing at the scene. It was a scene — one of the few — that had any impact.

* I'm deadly serious: I want to see this. I'll do whatever I can to help.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
* I'm deadly serious: I want to see this. I'll do whatever I can to help.

I am deadly serious, I will do this. I have worked with Adobe Premire before, and I can't imagine that it would change that much. But it would be kind of rough when it was finally finished, more of a proof of concept than actually a fully new movie. I mean, it would sure as hell be watchable, but it would probably be a bit jarring with some of the cuts.

Fuck it, I am doing it. I just have no idea how to convert DVD into an editable movie format.

Lestrade wrote:
With the available footage it still couldn't be perfect, but you have made it into a very workable film.

Yea, it would go from bad to acceptable.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCK AND/OR ROLL. I'm sure there's a way to take a ripped DVD (a VIDEO_TS folder) and use the files from that. Programs such as VLC Player allow playback of these folders; perhaps something will also allow encoding/exporting to another format, such as MPEG4? I don't know what Premiere uses, but if it has the option of accepting AVIs, you're golden.

Also, since the movie's "score" just uses music from the game (except for one noticeable "remix"), you (or I) already have all the files necessary to overlay if you needed to better link two edited scenes, aurally speaking. If the song's playing on one clip but isn't all the next, could you sync an MP3 with the scene that does contain the music and then allow it to run into the next clip, for continuity?

I'm also all for really fucking with the sound. One good example in the actual film is when Rose's hearing becomes muffled. That was truly unsettling. (Just do me a favour and keep the Johnny Cash!)
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm going to ask this because I haven't totally played through the games and my interpretation could be totally wrong, but what was Rose's sin? I think there was a scene in the movie where they tell you explicitly that Silent Hill is a place only for sinners. My understanding of Silent Hill is that it's a place that your guilt forces you into, so if this is the case, what was her sin? She seemed to treat her daughter pretty well. Was it just that she happened to be the parent of the good half of a demon child? Then again, why was the child a demon? Doesn't that lend a sort of authenticity to the cult's existance? I kinda wondered this when I played the first game as well but never really bothered to think through it.

My understanding of the scenes where the husband was in the same room as Rose but couldn't see her is that he was sinless and didn't belong in Silent Hill. These scenes were very poignant for me, and actually seemed to add an understanding of the world that isn't present in the games. Yeah, they came off as kind of cheesy, but the concept helped add to the world without ruining any of the mystery.

Any thoughts?

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did she mention her sin specifically? In the game and in the film, the reason why she (or Harry) goes to Silent Hill isn't for herself/himself, but because her daughter (or Harry's daughter in the game) is being drawn back by her other "half."

Which of course sounds like a fuckload of nonsense in a theatre, but nevermind that.

The cultists' sin is obvious: they burned an innocent child for being a witch. And then she sort of proved them right by creating a nightmare world to punish them all. (IRONY!?!?) The deceptive part of this retelling is that it negates the other entries in the series. In the game, Silent Hill as a whole isn't Alessa's doing; just the version that Harry sees. The reason the place is so... well, screwed up, I suppose, is more to do with the cult practices and the demons over the years blah blah blah.

I prefer the less descriptive, more romantic notion that you stated simply: Silent Hill is a place only for sinners. The reason is sort of moot, I think.

EDIT: Perhaps the reason why Sean Bean's character didn't find anything but a ghost town is that he is not Sharon's mother, adoptive or otherwise. The film makes an obvious case for the mother-daughter connection (the nearly all-female cast is rather noticeable). Then there's that forced line that gets OH SO DRAMATICALLY repeated at the end: "Mother is God in a child's eyes."

So Sharon/Alessa (in this version) wanted Rose to understand, or to help, and "allowed her in."
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
So I'm going to ask this because I haven't totally played through the games and my interpretation could be totally wrong, but what was Rose's sin? I think there was a scene in the movie where they tell you explicitly that Silent Hill is a place only for sinners. My understanding of Silent Hill is that it's a place that your guilt forces you into, so if this is the case, what was her sin? She seemed to treat her daughter pretty well. Was it just that she happened to be the parent of the good half of a demon child? Then again, why was the child a demon? Doesn't that lend a sort of authenticity to the cult's existance? I kinda wondered this when I played the first game as well but never really bothered to think through it.

EDIT: THERE ARE OBVIOUS GAME SPOILERS IN THIS

Silent Hill is not so much a place for sinners as it is literally a state of mind. In this case it is Alyssa's mind that has created SH and it exists only under her control. The reason that Rose and Cybil got in was becasue when she opened "the gate" (which the cult leader inferes that only the demon--Samael--can open) they were close enough to her. Also the daughter was the exact opposite of a demon, she was Alyssa re-incarnated (well the good that was left in her after all the hatred she harbored from being picked on and burned).

In order to get to the cult the real Allysa and Sameal (the evil little girl who says she takes many forms) needed a catalyst, which is Rose. The cult all looks dead aside from the cult leader (I am assuming here) because they all died in the fire, which would also explain why the stupid girl is getting food for "the mother." Anyways, when the blackness happens on the screen with the little demon girl and Alyssa when their hands touch in 1974 all the things she directed hatred towards (and her mother Dalia which she... uh, considered god, or something) to "Silent Hill" which is a sort of parallel hell that Alyssa is in control of.

The monsters that she creates are all there by her own will and represtent something sybolically (the burning children in the begining that grab at Rose represent her in her chared state, the nurses are the nurse that she took with her who looked in on her, the janitor, etc). This is also why the Straightjacket monsters that spew black stuff don't make sense, and PH only kind of makes sense. So they are all there to be tortured by Alyssa.

This is where things get a little complicated. James in SH2 created Silent Hill to torture himself, and there were others there that were there to torture themself. I can't fully explain the other people in SH2, but I could try and it would only be confusing. PH in SH2 makes sense because he was an exocutioner in SH history, so he is literally the physical embodyment of James' sexual frustration while his wife was in the hospital and what caused him to (in his eyes) "kill his wife." I am using quotes to be vauge here on purpose.

Anyways, Samael kind of controls all of this. He/She/It allows these alternate realties to happen and the demon takes many forms over the games. He allows the tormented to take out their hatred within them and takes glee from seeing it happen (note the demon girl dancing in the raining blood of the cult leader in the movie). I can't pretend to have all the answers here either.

Hopefully this helps you a bit.

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
In the game and in the film, the reason why she (or Harry) goes to Silent Hill isn't for herself/himself, but because her daughter (or Harry's daughter in the game) is being drawn back by her other "half."
[...]
EDIT: Perhaps the reason why Sean Bean's character didn't find anything but a ghost town is that he is not Sharon's mother, adoptive or otherwise. The film makes an obvious case for the mother-daughter connection (the nearly all-female cast is rather noticeable). Then there's that forced line that gets OH SO DRAMATICALLY repeated at the end: "Mother is God in a child's eyes."

One of the neat things in The Silent Hill Experience is that Gans actually says when they were trying to write the movie that they realised that everything Harry does in the first game is very motherly and feminine, even his lines. To keep it more faithful to the original game he just changed Harry to a female. This... almost makes sense.

Also, Chris did not find anything for the reasons stated above. Alyssa was not a witch and did not create the nightmare world to prove them wrong, Sameal did. I would argure with you about these points but I kind of state them in my last post, so let me know if you want to discuss further.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Also, Chris did not find anything for the reasons stated above. Alyssa was not a witch and did not create the nightmare world to prove them wrong, Sameal did. I would argure with you about these points but I kind of state them in my last post, so let me know if you want to discuss further.

No, you're right. I missed that little detail. I was thinking of the game, which I think is more vague in terms of the Alessa/Cheryl split.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I was thinking of the game, which I think is more vague in terms of the Alessa/Cheryl split.

Right, the movie cleans up the plot holes big enough to drive a truck through that the first game had. SH3 attempts to do it as well, but not as successfully.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, another point: I actually like how Gans & Co. used the story of Centralia (fo' realz) to give a probable explanation for all the fog (and ash, I suppose). It's a lot easier to believe that SH is a ghost town for this reason, rather than the game's insistence that rampant drug use and demons drove everyone away.

In fact, a lot of the first game's imagery makes a bit more sense given this context. And I liked how the men in miner's suits had the canary, except this one could sense The Darkness (and I'm not talking about the bad, ironic, hair-metal band).

EDIT: Hey, isn't the neighbouring town in Silent Hill 4 Ashbury? Har har!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's taking me and some friends to see the movie tonight. It should be interesting, I've heard only mixed things since the movie came out.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
EDIT: Hey, isn't the neighbouring town in Silent Hill 4 <i>Ashbury?</i> Har har!

I want to say that the sign for the archives said: "BRAHMS ARCHIVES (below)Also serving Ashbury" or something similar. When I noticed it I did not have time to really take it in what it said.

Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's ashville, actually Sad
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
(and I'm not talking about the bad, ironic, hair-metal band).

or so we think!

LJ -- Profile
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think the movie was that bad. I really enjoyed it, in fact. Granted it didn't scare me as much as I would've liked to have been scared, and I thought the CG was off in some parts, but I'm so glad there were no Rose vs Pyramid Head Kung Fu sequences. I'm also glad there were no cheesy nu-metal songs during the credits (unless I left too early). If I really wanted to nitpick I could find a lot of things I didn't like about the movie but overall it was an enjoyable experience.

The worst part about the whole thing was the trailer for The Fast and The Furious 3 that played before the movie at the theater I went to, in which a guy with a really thick, almost stereotypical (and way exaggerated) southern accent (the likes of which I've never heard before, and I live in south TX) travels to Tokyo and talks about how he fits in so well. Pretty much every anime-obsessed junior high student will see this movie over and over again... personally I'd rather buy herpes in a paper bag than sit through that trailer again, much less watch the whole movie.

There is a way to export a DVD into .avi and MPEG-4 files. I have a friend who has done it, he showed me an online tutorial once and I bookmarked it; when I get home I'll find said bookmark.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can rip any DVD easily; that's not the issue. The issue will be seeing what file formats Adobe Premiere allows you to edit.

OtakupunkX wrote:
The worst part about the whole thing was the trailer for The Fast and The Furious 3... Pretty much every anime-obsessed junior high student will see this movie over and over again...

Given your handle, this statement is sort of funny!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: