The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dessgeega's development diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incidentally, does anyone have a usb saturn pad? i'd like to know how the buttons are mapped. that is, which letter button is BUTTON 1, which is BUTTON 2, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

updates!

based on suggestions from ApM after playing shaft A, i diminished the radius of rhonda's torchlight. i think it makes the game stronger - i find myself keeping towards the bottom of the screen when i do this, instead of hanging near the top, which is what i want the player to be doing. i also made the wall bats more sensitive.

also, why not, here's a partial screen grab from the SEKRIT PROJECT. recognize anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
That looks gorgeous.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Gamemaker handle tate?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:

Can you?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Gauntlet!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Gauntlet!

-Wes

Mixed with Space Invaders, perhaps?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i did most of the graphics for the next two stages (whichever stage the player chooses to visit as stage 2) in rhonda. the walls are going to be a slightly different color - a more reddish hue - to signify that we've gone deeper. later stages will have more significant shifts in hue and/or texture. i drew the arrows and goblins, though they might warrent some redrawing when i see them in motion.

i still need to draw the rock monsters and their chuckin' boulders. i think i am going to have them hide as breakable blocks until you get close, like in plunder-mine. any block could potentially be a vicious boulder-chuckin' monster, and you won't know it until you see their red, red eyes.

i also made three stages in the SEKRIT PROJECT, which we might as well go ahead and call by its working title, ladybug. i want to draw some more wall graphics for it, as i think the stages need more color. the enemies provide a lot, but most of them are dead by the end of the stage.

and i need to begin seriously planning the update to jaywalker.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:

so let me just say something: if it can tate, it can reverse tate, and you'd better make sure to include it. PLEASE!

see also: Psyvariar 2 is better than the other DC shooters precisely because of this very notion.

see also also: The Dell 2405FPW is a fantastic monitor with more inputs than I can count, but for some reason it rotates clockwise! Oh noes! Think of the children!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i want to draw some more wall graphics for it, as i think the stages need more color.

i drew sixteen new tiles for ladybug that serve no purpose beyond scenery. they make the background of the stages look more colorful and varied, though. here is the test stage (not appearing in the actual game) before and after.

most of them are modular rather than single tiles. i prefer this because it allows me to create things that are new and interesting-looking in each stage. the bolted green panels use two different sprites and allow for all sorts of shapes and sizes of things. i'm fond of the wires too.

the danger of course is making the screen overly busy with things that convey no information to the player, as these screenshots kind of demonstrate. the actual stages won't contain so many different elements that it becomes distracting and samey. hopefully!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These demos look promising. I really enjoyed the Invader game which is why I'm here really. Am a GM user myself and like checking out the quality games made with it.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded both Invader and Jaywalker yesterday. Makes me want to start working with GM again.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i've finally started drawing some sprites for the updated game of pedestrian revenge.

besides sammie, marjorie is totally my favorite character that i've designed.

aside from looking much prettier, the update will bring these changes to the original game: cars that don't swerve will mix with the other cars from the beginning, and there will be no safe place to stand in the intersection.

and hopefully music and better sound effects, if i can get a volunteer to produce them.

there's also a new stage in ladybug.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
incidentally, does anyone have a usb saturn pad? i'd like to know how the buttons are mapped. that is, which letter button is BUTTON 1, which is BUTTON 2, etc.

I do! I'm totally unsure as to how to answer your question, though.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

I do! I'm totally unsure as to how to answer your question, though.

can you open up game controllers under control panel, and click on the saturn pad and then on "properties"? a screen should come up with numbers that light up when you press the corresponding buttons, i think. what i want to know is which button makes number 1 light up, which number 2, etcetera. what i really want to know is which numbers the A, B, X and Y buttons light up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
what i really want to know is which numbers the A, B, X and Y buttons light up.

A = 1
B = 2
X = 4
Y = 5
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yikes. that makes a lot more sense than the way my ps2 saturn pad is mapped, but it means the joystick layout in ladybug is just not going to work with that controller. so i guess i'll make another control option!

thanks for the infos!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(this is one of those streets where the north-south-running sidewalks have been swallowed up in grey void.)

so, servicable but plain. i'm not sure if i want to stick with simple but recognizable or try to add lots of details i'll never be happy with. well, we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: oddball xxroads idea... Reply with quote

This morning between snooze alarms (after only around 3 1/2 hours sleep) I had an idea for xxroads that is brilliant, dumb, infeasible, or some mix and balance of the 3.

Here it is: I think a small # of the levels, maybe one in five, should be partially underwater. Have a waterline about 2/3 of the way up. Creatures and bullets move at 1/2 speed underwater, except for a small # of creatures that ONLY can be underwater that move with grace down there, fish (some critters that seem naturally amphibious, like the snakes of the original and manybe a green "merman" type might have their movement unchanged.)

There are two strong visual compoments to this: the less important one would be a little Mega Man 2-like visual 'splish' when a creature rises above or falls below the waterline. The other is gratuitous shimmering particle effect bubbles that rise up peridically from creatures underwater, just for show.

I think water would be an interesting twist for a game that is mostly following the iconic "overhead but side-perspective" view of Crossroads. I don't know if Gamemaker could tint everything below the line a bit blueish as well, it's not that important to my idea....

Anyway, obviously a kind of odd duck of an idea, fell free to incorporate or disregard it.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: oddball xxroads idea... Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I don't know if Gamemaker could tint everything below the line a bit blueish as well, it's not that important to my idea....

I would work this in Megazeux by detecting if a water tile was under the player's sprite. If so, it would change the player's sprite's color to reflect it being underwater. I imagine Gamemaker should be able to do something along those lines.

LJ -- Profile
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a followup, maybe the bubbles would just emerge when and where shots were fired, or maybe streaming from the soaring bullets as they make their merry way..
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
As a followup, maybe the bubbles would just emerge when and where shots were fired, or maybe streaming from the soaring bullets as they make their merry way..

The streaming would be a cool effect.

LJ -- Profile
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: oddball xxroads idea... Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
Here it is: I think a small # of the levels, maybe one in five, should be partially underwater. Have a waterline about 2/3 of the way up. Creatures and bullets move at 1/2 speed underwater, except for a small # of creatures that ONLY can be underwater that move with grace down there, fish (some critters that seem naturally amphibious, like the snakes of the original and manybe a green "merman" type might have their movement unchanged.)

that would just be playing too crazy with the perspective. a pool in the middle of the stage might work though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, fair enough.

Maybe instead of a pool of water (which kind of messes w/ the perspective, since it would seem to have to be sunk into a floor or something) it could be a great big wobbly mass of jello, with some of the same properties I described earlier, but with extra wobbliness on the edges.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're a mad scientist.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: oddball xxroads idea... Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I don't know if Gamemaker could tint everything below the line a bit blueish as well, it's not that important to my idea....

Not sure what you mean exactly but I'm fairly sure GM should be capable of it. Seen it do plenty of fancy graphic effects, especially since the last version was released. A blue tint shouldn't be a problem.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't know very much about Gamemaker at all, other then being a little bummed that it's not multiplatform and seems to only support 2 controllers.... it seems quite nifty overall
Wolverine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I actually don't know very much about Gamemaker at all, other then being a little bummed that it's not multiplatform and seems to only support 2 controllers.... it seems quite nifty overall

Yeah. Though it does support every button on both the Playstation Dual Shock joypads I have plugged in, including both analogue sticks and the L3/R3 buttons in those sticks. Just wish more people had similar joypads for PC.. I'd make more games that actually used these things.

Haven't been able to get it 'shocking' the pads yet though. It may be possible via a DLL file though which is how most people expand on the features of GM. Perhaps someone can write a DLL to support more than two pads too...
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, this actually makes me tempted to get a pad.

Quote:
Just wish more people had similar joypads for PC.. I'd make more games that actually used these things.

Why don't you just have customizable control settings?
Wolverine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Hm, this actually makes me tempted to get a pad.

Quote:
Just wish more people had similar joypads for PC.. I'd make more games that actually used these things.

Not quite that simple. I had some ideas that would use both analogue sticks and all shoulder buttons in a way that would be near impossible to do any other way. Trying to force some other control schemes in there would potentially harm the game in my opinion.

Might end up doing mini-game versions of them sometime anyways just to satisfy my own curiosity as to if the game would even be fun to play and actually work.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:

this is my solution. ladybug currently has three different control layouts implemented (one of them dual controller).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now, the lines in the middle should actually be yellow double lines and the others should be white dotted lines, right? that's what andy says. someone who drives help me out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drawin' cars!

move at different speeds, with the red cars being the slowest and the grey/black being the fastest. cars which have spoilers will not swerve around the player.

hummers will show up rarely as bonuses. they're extra big, so they can cause big crashes, but they won't swerve, so the player has to crash something into them.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
drawin' cars!

move at different speeds, with the red cars being the slowest and the grey/black being the fastest. cars which have spoilers will not swerve around the player.

Geez put a spoiler warning at least!!
sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

right?

Right.

I could have sworn it looked different earlier today. I can't say I'm a big fan of bloom on pixel art, but it still looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

movement has been implemented, and all the cars except the hummer. the routine that spawns them hasn't been written yet, and marjorie's facial expressions still have to be implemented.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywalker is nearly done.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywalker's done, unless i find any unexpected bugs. i'm writing up the readme right now.

expect it out sometime today!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywalker's out.

i'm going to annotate the source and release it publicly, probably.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else have the problem of Marjorie constantly trying to head southeast?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Does anyone else have the problem of Marjorie constantly trying to head southeast?

do you have a joystick plugged in?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Jaywalkers quite an addictive lil game. Didn't realise it had joypad controls too. Music sorta bugs me.. not the tunes itself (though not fond of sung vocals in simple games), just the bloaty format really but doesn't matter too much.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
That Jaywalkers quite an addictive lil game. Didn't realise it had joypad controls too. Music sorta bugs me.. not the tunes itself (though not fond of sung vocals in simple games), just the bloaty format really but doesn't matter too much.

well, you can turn the music off with the S key. i'm pretty sure both that and the joypad control is mentioned in the readme!

also i made a minor update to the game: the high score on the title screen now travels with the sign, rather than appearing after it's finished moving.

the source can be downloaded here.

the next thing i'll probably do is make ladybug's stages larger, which means redoing most of the stages i've already created. i think the game will work better with more space, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I've got a wired xbox360 controller plugged in. is there a process?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
yeah, I've got a wired xbox360 controller plugged in. is there a process?

the game auto reads from the joystick in port 1, so unplugging it or making sure it is calibrated correctly will probably solve your problem.

or just using the controller!

i've updated the game and source again. it seems the comments i put in the source threw off the code and created some bugs. i think i have them all fixed now. you should download the game again if you already have, but keep your gamedata file if you want to keep your high score.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unplugging the controller fixes the problem, and calibrating makes it a tiny bit better, but it's still a problem for me. Is there a way of turning down the sensitivity? (This is running off the analog stick, not the d-pad).

Also, I've had several problems with sound appearing to be from the next Oval album.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Also, I've had several problems with sound appearing to be from the next Oval album.

Hahah. I've always been interested in glitched-out music like that. Every time that happens to me I always make a recording of it. The music from seiklus sounds quite interesting when you're playing it on a too-slow virtual machine.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:

glitched sound, eh? you can turn off the music by pressing S, which will leave just the sound effects. if you can tell me which is glitching, the music or the sound effects or both, that'll be a help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: