The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dessgeega's development diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've rebuilt the first two stages of ladybug to take advantage of a bigger play area: 640x640. i think the larger size suits the game better, since the robotron-style controls are designed to facilitate fighting off enemies coming from multiple directions. redrawing the stages meant i was able to fill out most of the space that was being wasted, too, so i'm happy with the decision.

i've started implementing goblins in rhonda. they don't work at all yet.

i am going to start reading up on inform 7 with the goal of ultimately producing something in it.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inform 7 looks damned cool! i'd thought about doing something in inform 6 a while ago, but never got over the learning hurdle. the new version though... i'm very intrigued.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i am going to start reading up on inform 7 with the goal of ultimately producing something in it.

I just read up on this. I am more confused now than when the Interactive Fiction article came up.

That looks far more complicated than it probably should.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarf wrote:
Well, here is my first I7 test game:

"Testcase" by Andrew Plotkin
The Kitchen is a room. The wand is in the Kitchen.
Instead of waving the wand, say "Fizzy sparks."
Before waving the wand, if the wand is not held, instead say "You're not holding that."

That's the source code. Compile it and it runs.

Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, yea. That dosen't help. I mean... I kind of get it, like that should totally take more than just those four sentences and need a language that makes no sense, but... I can't wrap my head around it.

dark steve

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem that I can see is that it's SO much like english that it might be difficult to keep larger projects organized.

On the other hand, wow.
a_plus

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inform 7 does seem to come with a lot of very awesome organizational tools, though, so.... i dunno. we'll see.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had a question about Jaywalker, Dess: What resolution is it in? What resolution do you usually do your games in?

I'm curious!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
So I had a question about Jaywalker, Dess: What resolution is it in? What resolution do you usually do your games in?

jaywalker runs in a 600x600 window. i always make my games windowed.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
jaywalker runs in a 600x600 window. i always make my games windowed.

Any reason for this? Cos that's what bugs me most about playing Invader. I far prefer playing games that hide the fact I'm playing on Windows and it's one reason I love playing them when connected to my big TV set. I really wanted to have Invader change my resolution to something that filled the screen (without that cheap scaling crap so many Game Maker users think is ok to do). It sorta kills the arcade-like feel when you can clearly see Microsoft all around the game and has me playing a game a lot less than I would if it fullscreen...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i've always considered it somewhat rude to take over someone's entire desktop.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
well, i've always considered it somewhat rude to take over someone's entire desktop.

I always preferred it when games did that personally. Because if I'm loading the game it's cos I want to play it and get involved in it and not do anything else for a bit. In the games me and some of my buddies make though we usually have the Windowed mode on as default and then have various options for resolution switching or ugly scaling (if people prefer fullscreen without a resolution change) or doublesized window mode (for our 320x240 games running on a 1024x768 desktop), and then have that option saved in a .cfg or something like many other games I've downloaded from the net do. That way after the first time, us people who prefer the fullscreen game get it everytime and those who don't won't. I don't mean this as a rant or anything so sorry if it comes across as it. It's just one of those things I really hate about playing some games on PC. I just wanna focus on the game and not have the Windows surrounding it distracting me.

Though saying that... the other day I was playing Super Mario World on ZSNES in fullscreen on my TV and for a while it felt almost like playing on my SNES until for some unknown reason my PC 'bluescreened' on me and shattered the illusion...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:
In the games me and some of my buddies make though we usually have the Windowed mode on as default and then have various options for resolution switching or ugly scaling (if people prefer fullscreen without a resolution change) or doublesized window mode (for our 320x240 games running on a 1024x768 desktop), and then have that option saved in a .cfg or something like many other games I've downloaded from the net do.

see, i would tend to design whatever game i was working around specifically for whatever resolution i had chosen. so - it would be hard for me to go in afterward and tack some bizarro-stretched fullscreen mode onto a finished game.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
In the games me and some of my buddies make though we usually have the Windowed mode on as default and then have various options for resolution switching or ugly scaling (if people prefer fullscreen without a resolution change) or doublesized window mode (for our 320x240 games running on a 1024x768 desktop), and then have that option saved in a .cfg or something like many other games I've downloaded from the net do.

see, i would tend to design whatever game i was working around specifically for whatever resolution i had chosen. so - it would be hard for me to go in afterward and tack some bizarro-stretched fullscreen mode onto a finished game.

Wouldn't need to be stretched. Just noticed Invader seems to be 680x440 which wouldn't fit in the 640x480 resoution but would fit ok in 800x600 and have black borders making up the rest of the screen. Not ideal but a lot better than seeing Windows and being a UK gamer we've had to put up with black borders before with lousy PAL conversions over the last 20 years anyway. Also Ikaruga (on my DC, haven't play GC version so wouldn't know if its any different) on its default display settings (as in not rotated round for people who can tilt their TV's over) has black borders on either side of the game anyway I feel like I'm just annoying you now but it is something I do feel strongly about when it comes to playing any game on a PC. I really really like Invader and it's only really that thing that stops me playing a lot sooner than I would normally.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
See, yea. That dosen't help. I mean... I kind of get it, like that should totally take more than just those four sentences and need a language that makes no sense, but... I can't wrap my head around it.

Well, as someone who's familiar with earlier TADS and Inform, this stuff is absolutley amazing. A lot of the basics are the same, but the whole thing with relationships is incredible. It automates a whole bunch of related variables, properties, and functions that had to be considered.

And while the programs still look awkward (they are programs after all), it's still amazing how readable they are. Emily Short wrote some examples which, unlike Zarf's above, create full-fledged games. It's incredible how much can be gleaned from the source code now. Short's works are also great because they showcase some of the power of the new functions of the language.

Savoir-Faire is a great game with a neat gimmick that took Short an incredible amount of time to make work. Damnatio Memoriae is a short game set in the same world where the same gimmick took a few hours to implement.

In practice, the games aren't looking much different. But the code is thrilling.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is a question on i7: because so much of the code is "translated" won't a lot of the games end up feeling same-y?

Tablesaw

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
So here is a question on i7: because so much of the code is "translated" won't a lot of the games end up feeling same-y?

The fundamental parser will remain more or less the same, which means that making the game work will still require readers to learn the quirks of the parser.

On the other hand, I7 seems to make easier the kinds of sweeping changes to the parser that only a very few authors have been able to effect. The Short games I mentioned implement some complex verbs simply. By making it easier to add and modify verbs, it encourages authors to expand the range of actions and syntaxes available. I'd imagine that the game will also be better at the kind of hand-holding tutorial that Zarf put in The Dreamhold.

It's also clear that they're really focusing on encouraging extensions (previously libraries) to help expand the capabilities of the games. If the extensions are easier to write and manipulate, it's easier to get the language to grow.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
It's also clear that they're really focusing on encouraging extensions (previously libraries) to help expand the capabilities of the games. If the extensions are easier to write and manipulate, it's easier to get the language to grow.

So... like ebonics for nerds?

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGG.

(If you guys want to hear my lecture on "ebonics" (more properly known as African-American Vernacular English or AAVE) let me know and I'll be happy to witter on and on. If you want to avoid it, don't mention "ebonics". It's like a red flag to a bull.)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would prefer you did not talk about it in my thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll do it in the General Thread, no worries. I wouldn't have posted that reply at all except that my Linguistics Monomania is more out of control than my Internet Etiquette.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i'm officially working on something new. it's ambitious in some ways. i'm recycling some of the code from ladybug. (and the crossroads game hasn't been abandoned - i'm hoping to return to it sometime.)
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello again, little thread.

tiny update: most of the graphics for the new game are done. the engine, which i've modified from the old project, still needs some tweaking.

and there you have it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice sprites, dess.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the graphics are (even more!) done, the three main types of enemies are implemented, the engine is tweaked, and six or so input configurations are coded, though there's no menu to select them from yet.

so, i like it when the player can mechanically dictate her avatar's rate of fire (which is probably obvious to those who've played invader).button-mashing, however, does not quite work with an eight-directional firing scheme, especially when diagonals require two buttons to be pressed simultaneously. (the numpad control scheme can handle it, but that's more buttons than i'd personally prefer to play with, and i like my joypad besides.) so my solution was that to allow the player to hold a button (or buttons) for a constant rate of fire, but also (in tense situations!) to be able to mash buttons for an increased rate of fire, up to about twice the original rate (similiar to in metal black and some other taito shooters).

i think it works.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, today I just found out about a SUPER obscure (to the USA anyway) game for the Atari 2600, Ghostbusters II. Very odd title, taking that scene where they get lowered into a subway tunnel system via a rope to scoop up the good karma goo, but it wasn't 'til hours later that I noitced that it bears some strong resemblance to that Pitfall Rhonda game... take a look!

So basically take that game, and the flashlight from Haunted House/Adventure, and it looks like a backport of what you were playing around with...

those graphics are big and klunky even by 2600 standards, looking almost more like parodies and mockups of Atari games than a proper Atari game itself. It also has a bit of H.E.R.O. karma to it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wacky!

current project update: the opening cinema (and the only one in the game), stage one, and the between-stage transition screen are completed. things are starting to roll! along!

at some point i will have to recruit an artist to draw one scene. and i'm going to need sound effects at some point. i will probably bug andy to do them or to explain the program he used to make the ones for invader. i havn't decided if i need music yet - if i do, it'd be just t2k-like pulsing background techno.

anyway, i'm kind of excited! are you excited?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am excited.

What would be required for sound effects? I think that could be an interesting thing to try and do.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
What would be required for sound effects?

a keen ear, a creative mind, and a heart of gold! and some way to make or record sound effects.

the first three stages are done! these stages form a set that teaches the player how to deal with the first (and most basic) enemy type. the next three will be built around the second. then, shennanigans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i took a week or so off and then resumed work on the game again today.

there are now seven stages, and i've tweaked the game to make it less dependent on button-mashing. button-mashing will be an optional, undocumented feature, existing purely to help players overcome situations with which they are struggling. it will make the game easier, but the player will be able to clear the game without ever mashing. i might implement it into the scoring mechanism somehow.

and andrew lord michael toupsings has signed aboard to record some sound effects for me. i'll probably have to compete with his wii for attention, though. story of my life!
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude can't keep his hands off his wii.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Dude can't keep his hands off his wii.

so i've implemented a three-hit lifebar now, as opposed to the one-hit kills the game originally had. the stages are long and linear enough that it was frustrating (and sometimes exhausting) to start over from the beginning when you got hit once by enemies. the health bar sits in the lower-left corner of the screen and is slightly transparent!

with each blue square representing one hit. i'll probably give bonus points for however many hits are left at the end of each stage. the game's score system is about due for an overhaul.

and the game is overdue for a name! the best i've come up with so far is "i'm in love with your strict machine", which is probably too long for me. it makes me giggle though.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't use a title that promises way more than it delivers, like Alien Rape Escape.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, my game will not be called that.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanical Insect Cunnilingus!
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strict Machine Love

a_plus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Laws of Robomance?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:

that's amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here's what happened with this thread. i took on a lot of projects after finishing invader because i wanted to learn how to implement a lot of different things in game maker. and i learned a lot. i really didn't expect to finish those projects, and i didn't finish them. (the crossroads game i would like to come back to.) at the moment i'm working on a platformer, just because i want to learn how to implement gravity and acceleration and jumping and things like that. don't expect a finished game to come of it, though it would be great if it did.

i did intend to finish "strict machine" (as i'm going to refer to it), but didn't for a few reasons, and probably won't. i'm making what i did finish available for download. it'll run on a windows computer with directx. use the arrow keys to move and the WASD keys to shoot, or use joy2key. (i've implemented joypad controls, and a variety of keyboard arrangements, but there's no way to select from them.) ESC quits.

the game was to explore the D/s dynamic between a game and its player (which i speculated about in my piece on rule of rose in issue eight). the characters (they're robots) are tentatively named "prot" and "ant". it's an arena shooter. i abandoned it because it was boring, and overly orthogonal, and sometimes genuinely unfair. only six stages were completed.

the game, as seen in this release, lacks polish, and may be buggy. mine-laying enemies, though implemented, do not appear. when you're touched by an enemy, it simply disappears. when your health ticks are gone, the stage simply restarts. there's no music; the sound effects are borrowed from invader. the scoring system is not the way it should be (explanation below, in spoiler text, because it concerns a hidden feature).

you can hold a button down to fire in a direction at a constant speed, but if you mash the button you can shoot faster. this was to have been an undocumented feature, that the player would discover in a moment of stress. i would have liked to have made it so that enemies killed with the steady, controlled stream of fire would be worth more than enemies killed through desperate mashing, but i couldn't come up with a good way to implement this. as it is, you're scored on how quickly you destroy enemies, which is basically the opposite.

i might post some of the spritesheets later.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here's the spritesheet for what was completed of the game. you can see the development of the sprites that ended up in the game: i tried a lot of variations before settling on the sprites that made it. the sprites appear at double size in the game for a slightly blocky effect. this is their original resolution.

and here are the tiles that make up the walls of the stages and between-stage scenes, at the resolution they appear in game. as you can see, each tile contains a piece of wall and a bit of pipe behind it. this allowed for each stage to look slightly different, despite being essentially the same.

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

N.B. Keep refreshing this page until the text above makes sense within the context.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
N.B. Keep refreshing this page until the text above makes sense within the context.

If these boards had a karma system I'd be giving you karma right now.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i clicked on this thread and finally got the right message.

i love you, james.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw. I love you, too!
Six

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could try what you'd finished, but Game Maker stuff doesn't seem to work on here anymore. I love the sprites!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new game. you know that game where the snake is trying to eat an apple without crashing into itself? this is a two-player version. one player's the snake and the other's the apple.

don't expect it to be polished. it's an experiment. i made it in a week, then waited a few more weeks for andrew toups to make some sound effects. he didn't, so i solicited sounds from selectbutton poster beige.

further background and concept art in the next post!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the game was inspired by a dream the slut had: she dreamt that she and i were playing a two-player version of that calculator snake game. "player one's the snake and player two's the apple?" i asked. immediately i knew that i had to make this game.

the sprite sheet, including concept work, is below, at both the original resolution and at double resolution, the way it appears in game (the grass tile actually appears at quadruple resolution). each of the characters is made of four colors, sharing black and white. the final version of apple is drawn to resemble a heart, and is loosely modelled off of betty page.

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspired!

I really like the top sprites, which I assume are the concept work? They're a bit better constructed than the larger ones, which feel a bit loose.

Sounds effects are brilliant.

Quote:
apple tried to speak coolly, though she knew she was bright red.
"you'll have to catch me first." snake grinned, displaying a set of
fangs. "i wouldn't want it any other way."

This is definitely like one of those cartoons me and my sister would watch as kids and be disturbed by it without knowing why, and then realise in adulthood that it was because the artist was sneaking his depraved attitude to sex into the seemingly innocent proceedings. So, good work!!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
I really like the top sprites, which I assume are the concept work? They're a bit better constructed than the larger ones, which feel a bit loose.

the smaller sprites were the first ones i drew. i ended up working with bigger ones both because i couldn't convey the specific expressions i wanted and because the game ended up being five by five tiles, which would be awfully hard to read with tiny sprites. (the tiny sprites ended up being used in the game's windows icon.) the sprites at the bottom are the final ones which got included in the game, with the exception of the blinking frames which i decided not to implement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: