The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Disgaea PORTABLE hit the U.S. market?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Will Disgaea PORTABLE hit the U.S. market? Reply with quote

So, I got what I initially thought was just a standard press release for the release of Disgaea for the PSP. It turns out it is more like... a cry for support? Anyways, here is the interesting part of it:

Quote:
Because Disgaea™is an incredible fan favorite, NIS America is eager to bring Disgaea™PORTABLE to the U.S. fans.
But in order to make it happen, we will need to prove that there is enough support and demand for Disgaea™PORTABLE!
So, we would appreciate it if you could support us by raising your voice and making some noise for Disgaea™PORTABLEin the U.S.!!
Nippon Ichi and NIS America are also working on adding something SPECIAL to Disgaea™PORTABLE that will be exclusive to the U.S. market!

So, I don't know where else to make some noise. I know that there are some fans of the game here, and I know there are some people with PSPs that just want good games for it. Anyways, you don't often see a request for support.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just a port of the original or what?

I'd might consider a PSP if there were good games for it (and a hardware revision). Disgaea wouldn't do it alone, but it's a step in the right direction.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The press release said something about additional content. They even got the original voice actors back into the studio to record for the extended/new sections. Not that much though. The screen shots in the pr was even stated as PS2 shots, so I can't say too much. I just figured if anyone wanted to support this "movement" I might as well get the word out.

DaleNixon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This and a PSP redesign would be compelling reasons to pick one up.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a job for Tollmaster!

Yeah, speaking as a PSP owner, this would be a good step toward making it worth owning in the US. It would also make it much more likely that I'd play more of Disgaea.

Speaking of Tollmaster, where the hell is he, what with Disgaea 2 being released and all?
Pijaibros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it needed "30% more content" or some other silly rule to be released in the US. Ports are probably the best thing the PSP could be used for, but SCEA are a bunch of bastards.

I believe it's what has kept many of the other RPG ports from crossing the Pacific. Like Suikoden II, I don't think it will come over anytime soon. I will be surprised if it does.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the 30% rule. Valkyrie Profile just came out and that's pretty much a straight port with a few extra cutscenes. Maybe because it's such a hard-to-find game? If so, you'd think maybe Disgaea and Suikoden II would fall into that category as well? Whatever the case, maybe this is a good thing. With the DS having a substantial lead over the PSP in Japan, and the inability to release their games on the PSP in the US maybe they'll just start putting their games out on the DS instead. Atlus has certainly been able to make a lot of money on it.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you gotta understand how vague and unquantifiable "30%" is.
Wilkes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone else see this as a clever marketing ploy fueled by experienced PR or am I the last sane man in new jersey?
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
This sounds like a job for Tollmaster!

Speaking of Tollmaster, where the hell is he, what with Disgaea 2 being released and all?

The answer is pretty damn obvious. It was the Nippon Ichi cycle all over again: get excited for the game's release months in advance, make a post on the Internet about not wanting to buy it two weeks before release because "it isn't new enough", succumbing to temptation the first day it's available, and loving every minute you spend with the game.

It's a lot like crack, in other words. At some point, I'm aware that I have to stop feeding the addiction, but I tell myself I can stop anytime I want to, and I'm having fun for the moment, so it's OK!

The Disgaea portable thing bothers me. It really depends on the new content. If this were, say, an entirely new game I would be all over it; but why would I want to buy a port of a PS2 game I already own, and have clocked at least a hundred hours on?

Their other PSP games, Generation of Chaos and their other upcoming Idea Factory game (Spectral Souls? The name escapes me at the moment) look pretty awesome. I avoided the former at release because of negative reactions from people who would normally support anything Nippon Ichi brought over, but I thought about it, and really: I haven't picked up a PSP game yet, and my little brother's copy of Midnight Club 3 isn't really doing it for me. I need a reason to play that thing, if I'm not allowed to downgrade it.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Extend Extra is pretty good.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
Every Extend Extra is pretty good.

Is it out, or just the demo? I know it's coming soon!

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's out, babe.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's out in Japan, which is the version I got and I do recommend it, even if the domestic version is coming out later this year because WAITING IS NOT AN OPTION.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, it looks like the big addition to Disgaea Portable is the characters from Disgaea 2.

Link

As much as I liked Disgaea 2, I don't feel like shoehorning its characters into the first game is really all that special.

-Wes
nippon ichi PR man
nippon ichi PR man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Hey guys, it looks like the big addition to Disgaea Portable is the characters from Disgaea 2.

Link

As much as I liked Disgaea 2, I don't feel like shoehorning its characters into the first game is really all that special.

-Wes

C'mon! It's a tradition now to feature past Nippon Ichi characters in their new games. Disgaea PS2 had Marjoly and Prier, and all the others...would probably be considered spoilers, still. The official site for Makai Kingdom even made fun of this trend back in the day, with a huge list of possible cameos.

And the discriminating Phantom Brave fan will notice that Nippon Ichi's new game, Soul Cradle, features a familiar face in the main cast, albeit done in a far different style. It even fits in with the plot this time, but it seems (so far) to be an "open secret" type of deal.

Besides, there is supposed to be more content than just that--I'm not sure on the specifics, not being able to read Japanese, but there are some other extras, and a few other modes (I'm guessing a music player and enemy data viewer, not sure) added in. And if there is a US release, they'd probably have to add in more stuff to get away with the "no ports" rule--though I guess that didn't apply to Valkyrie Profile and a few other games?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: