The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A WANDERER, A WEASEL, AND THE TRIP THROUGH IMPASSE VALLEY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they seem to really be generous with the healing pots in this version.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
they seem to really be generous with the healing pots in this version.

Yeah, but clearly the item odds are different based on the Dungeon. Like in the now called "Final Puzzle", melding pots are a LOT more common than they ever were in the Table Mountain Dungeon.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkor wrote:
Swimmy, I am pretty awed that you did that good having never played the game before this week.

I played it a little. I just never got past the marshes. It still took me 17 hours to beat it, and I'm sure that'll be nothing compared to Fay's dungeon. Which, now that I understand the context, is a fucking insane task. Table Mountain is so obviously a learn-the-monsters game, I can't imagine repeating it for something that's three times the length.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Bulkor wrote:
Swimmy, I am pretty awed that you did that good having never played the game before this week.

I played it a little. I just never got past the marshes. It still took me 17 hours to beat it, and I'm sure that'll be nothing compared to Fay's dungeon. Which, now that I understand the context, is a fucking insane task. Table Mountain is so obviously a learn-the-monsters game, I can't imagine repeating it for something that's three times the length.

I also give the game huge props for two of its dungeons at least.

You want to keep on going with your UBER GEAR? Tainted Path is 99 levels with loads of bosses and REQUIRES you to have the ultimately buffed equipment.

Want to start off naked and see how far you can make it? Then The Final Puzzle is just for you.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsimpso wrote:
Man, those gazer enemies are a pain! Ditto for the polygons if you are low on riceballs. I died due to gazers on 25 or 26. I'm with Swimmy in that I'm not sure how I should deal with those bastards.

By the way, on my mountain-clearing run, my two best friends when I got to these monsters were my doppelganger staff and my staff of postpone. Doppelgang a polygon and he'll move normally and not be able to attack you. Same with a gazer. Just don't do it in front of another monster, as, by that point, the last thing you want is for another monster to level up. (Unless you have a Bufu staff and can net some sweet, sweet high-ranking monster meat.)

The postpone staff just lets you manage your position. Paralyzed gazers in an open room are better than moving gazers in a hallway.

-seryogin
Bulkor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try shooting arrows in hallways if you're worried about gazers. You're told a monster's name if you hit it, and whiffed shots will just fall in the hallway. Knockback staffs do the same thing but you generally want to hoard your staffs.

The old Fei's final problem had an item combo that allowed you to clone stuff forever, which was really the only way I could see to beat it. (cloning up air devil meats and just running for the stairs every level) I would always screw up the cloning process at some point and end up dying in a monster house the next floor or something, but I've gotten into the seventies. I don't know if the same stuff is around this time, though.

Meanwhile, I keep dying via stupidity in the Food God shrine. I just want to get me a Bufu cleaver and see how much tomfoolery I can pull in the pre-Cryptic Rock Valley levels.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkor wrote:

The old Fei's final problem had an item combo that allowed you to clone stuff forever, which was really the only way I could see to beat it. (cloning up air devil meats and just running for the stairs every level) I would always screw up the cloning process at some point and end up dying in a monster house the next floor or something, but I've gotten into the seventies. I don't know if the same stuff is around this time, though.

Nope. For all of the wussyfying that has gone on in this DS port its nice to know that they REMOVED the Clone Pot!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. That's going to make it completely impossible for me. Actually I was kind of excited to pump through it after reading the @Play column on the matter. Now I know just how brutal it's going to be.

-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty pissed because i was sure that I was going to have "the run" on my last game. I was up to floor 28, I had a TON of scrolls which incapacitate rooms of enemies (sleep/confuse), but I had SO little weapons. I also had a good amount of food, but that ran out around level 22 or so. Anyways, my weapons were the same since the mountain top town and my ending equip items were: Polearm +1 and Bronzeward +1.

Anyways, I knew that I could make it to the end with the items/scrolls I had, so my plan had been just to run to the end from the waterfall town on. I made it through a gigantic monster house, many enemies, and then was in the room to the stairs to level 29... when i stepped on a riceball trap and turned into a riceball... WTF is this trap? That pissed me off because i was in the room with a piggo and even still managed to make it to the stairs as a riceball but found out that I can't leave the level while polymorphed. So, yeah, Piggo threw a rock at me while on the stiars and killed me. I had so many scrolls left, seriously ;_;

Anyways, it feels like the marsh cripples me almost every time, this time I had a protection scroll which made all my equipment non-corrodible, and this allowed me to get further than usual. I really need to figure out a way to get through the marshes unscathed. I'm also pretty worthless after Tabletop Mountain anyways, I really thought I may make it this time because I had so many scrolls.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Anyways, it feels like the marsh cripples me almost every time, this time I had a protection scroll which made all my equipment non-corrodible, and this allowed me to get further than usual. I really need to figure out a way to get through the marshes unscathed. I'm also pretty worthless after Tabletop Mountain anyways, I really thought I may make it this time because I had so many scrolls.

Unless fully plated and buffed I just DIVE through the two swamp levels. too deadly to spend time on, I think.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, always find the exits in the marsh as soon as you can, and go through them as soon as you find them. avoid conflict when you can; otherwise use staffs (staves?) to keep enemies at a distance and arrows to pick them off before they reach you. if you get surrounded, use a scroll and flee the area.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you apply herbs to NPCs? I found the blind girl and I have an herb that I think would help, I only have one of them though and I'm kind of loath to test my theory that throwing it at her will work*.

* - Probably because I'm too used to Adventure Mode in Dwarf Fortress, where throwing is ridiculously deadly -- you can throw vomit through people's heads!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
How do you apply herbs to NPCs? I found the blind girl and I have an herb that I think would help, I only have one of them though and I'm kind of loath to test my theory that throwing it at her will work*.

throwing it at her will work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

Unless fully plated and buffed I just DIVE through the two swamp levels. too deadly to spend time on, I think.

There's a person, Heiji I believe his name is, on the 2nd floor of the inn just prior to the marsh who has given me a plating scroll every time I've been through there. Also, I've found a couple more and have stockpiled them in the warehouse in that same town just in case he stops handing them out. So the marsh has been pretty easy for me so far. Does that guy eventually run out of scrolls?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I find a plating scroll, I dump it in the warehouse just before the marsh. I'm always plated up before I go in. Also, if I have scrolls of light, I save them for that area.

-seryogin
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsimpso wrote:
LordGek wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

There's a person, Heiji I believe his name is, on the 2nd floor of the inn just prior to the marsh who has given me a plating scroll every time I've been through there. Also, I've found a couple more and have stockpiled them in the warehouse in that same town just in case he stops handing them out. So the marsh has been pretty easy for me so far. Does that guy eventually run out of scrolls?

HOLY CRAP! Here I just assumed that was a one time thing! I'm assuming this is another one of the DS Wussifications at play.

Actually...okay, maybe there is a balance. Once you unlock the Swamp Dungeon (I can't recall the name it has now), he probably is no longer upstairs waiting for you.
sharc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i followed this thread pretty closely back when the snes patch came out ,so it's a real treat to be able to play it on ds now and see all the things i heard about.

i've never had much trouble with the marshes, for whatever reason - usually have enough items and a decent weapon to handle everything, and one or two followers that are still good to assist since this is pretty much the last area they can still reliably kill monsters on their own. table mountain on the other hand kills me constantly.

last night i got further than i ever had; my previous attempt ended on ravine of illusions when a death reaper shot over and instantly killed me after my first move. this time i was ready with a scroll of light and enough arrows to pick off everything before it got to me. also lucked out and had the door a short walk away, so off i went with minimal hassle. appeared near the exit again on phantom trials, and almost bit it on dragoncry trials but get saved by a scroll of need that takes me from 2hp to a full 100 or so and paralyzes every monster in the room, leaving me enough time to reach the stairs and climb up to the final level with no healing items or riceballs remaining.

first move, i step onto a trap that generates other traps all over the room. the next step puts me on a pitfall trap that drops me back in dragoncry trials, right in the middle of a mob of nasty critters. the step after that is a big landmine that drops me to 1 hp and kills all of the monsters except for a lone dragonhead. i spend the last few moments trying to escape it, and then run directly into another one in a vision-limited tunnel.

soooo close. damn do i love this game.
Bulkor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, so, the Food God Shrine. (only there's no "Shrine" on there now, I don't know why) As a quick summary, it's a dungeon based around monster meats; you get a weapon which sometimes makes enemies drop meat when killed, and can't find much in the way of other items. (Bufu staff being the notable exception) This means you have to a) rely on monster abilities to get by and b) grind pretty badly, because Bufu staffseses aside you need to kill things with a weak weapon to get monster meat.

The biggest change on the DS is that you now keep your level and status from Table Mountain when you go in. This is a reasonable improvement because the absolute worst part of this dungeon was grinding mamels and little robbers until the wind blows on the first floors, just to make sure knife gators and ghost radishes don't totally ruin your shit once they show up. At least the grinding trip through Table Mountain has changes in scenery. It is still a pretty goofy dungeon, mostly about getting the right meats to drop and then exploiting them, but it's no longer as annoying.
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkor wrote:
Man, so, the Food God Shrine. (only there's no "Shrine" on there now, I don't know why) As a quick summary, it's a dungeon based around monster meats; you get a weapon which sometimes makes enemies drop meat when killed, and can't find much in the way of other items. (Bufu staff being the notable exception) This means you have to a) rely on monster abilities to get by and b) grind pretty badly, because Bufu staffseses aside you need to kill things with a weak weapon to get monster meat.

The biggest change on the DS is that you now keep your level and status from Table Mountain when you go in. This is a reasonable improvement because the absolute worst part of this dungeon was grinding mamels and little robbers until the wind blows on the first floors, just to make sure knife gators and ghost radishes don't totally ruin your shit once they show up. At least the grinding trip through Table Mountain has changes in scenery. It is still a pretty goofy dungeon, mostly about getting the right meats to drop and then exploiting them, but it's no longer as annoying.

Its all a matter of opinion, I'm sure, but I've more recently noted its NOT WORTH heavily grinding on early levels.

Sitting in the early levels too long means I blast through my REAL FOOD too quickly. I don't feel safe even slightly camping until I've got some food making monster abilities.

I'm sure pre-leveling before you go in is the safest bet but, much like camping in the early levels, its boring AND, out in the wild, food isn't as reliable by the point you've reached Bamboo Village. I guess if one REALLY wants to be cheesey it might be worth making a "naked run" to as far as the Mountain Top Town, getting a nice meal at the cafe, and then backtracking back to Kitchen Shrine but that feels too cheap to me.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What beside shields affects the rate at which you go through food? Also, does that make Hide Shields worth it?

Feeling like a newbie in this thread, but I'm really getting into this on DS in a way I was never able to with the emulated version.
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
What beside shields affects the rate at which you go through food? Also, does that make Hide Shields worth it?

Feeling like a newbie in this thread, but I'm really getting into this on DS in a way I was never able to with the emulated version.

Only the Heavy Shield speeds you hunger, as far as shields go. I'd imagine Armbands are the biggest food sucker and I *THINK* they drain it at different rates, not sure, but some real powerful ones like Passage that let you travel through walls will do it big time (at least that's how it was in other MD games). I also think, but am not sure, being in monster form drains food quicker.

Is the Hide Shield worth it? Its a great melding element, to be sure, starvation is a major pain in this game, but as an actual armor itself, it sucks. You have to make the call if, when you are all out of rice balls you, want to risk running around in such a minimalistic shield.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel like starvation is significantly less of a risk in this version than in the original.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so in my last run (well, current run as my DS is charging right now and I'm on a break) the wind blew... what the hell?

Also, I've been reading the thread and noticed that people are talking about other companions other than ones I've found. Is there a list of all the companions or anything?

Also... second floor of the inn you get a scroll? Huh?

EDIT: There's also a Shiren wiki in english now: http://shiren.wetpaint.com/

simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there ever a reason to do anything with Pekeji? I just got him killed after he became too hungry to move, which I didn't feel bad about at all.

I had a courier refuse to take my item, claiming the warehouse was full. On my next start, I found a good 6 spaces open in there. What?

After a few plays, including a couple up to the early levels of table mountain, I have yet to come across a storehouse jar. Do those come later?
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Is there ever a reason to do anything with Pekeji? I just got him killed after he became too hungry to move, which I didn't feel bad about at all.

I had a courier refuse to take my item, claiming the warehouse was full. On my next start, I found a good 6 spaces open in there. What?

After a few plays, including a couple up to the early levels of table mountain, I have yet to come across a storehouse jar. Do those come later?

Pekeji gets tougher each time you meet him again AND I'm pretty sure demands less riceballs. He also is key to unlocking one of the bonus dungeons.

Look carefully, next time, at which warehouse he's talking about as you can have three different little storage areas in the game that are completely independent from one another. He'll always tell you WHICH location he's heading to.

The Storehouse jars are definitely in there but probably rare, like Melding jars. I know some more experienced players than me, however, that claim they still haven't seen any in this English port but I personally have seen and used quite a few. No clue if I did something accidentally that unlocked them or something (but I think they are just rare and possibly only generated in the later levels of Table Mountain).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pekeji: deal with him for a while. Give him a riceball (ONLY ONCE) each trip. If you run into him and he says something like "I've trained with an old hermit and am much stronger!" or something similar, that means he's leveled up. Once he hits max level he's very-very strong and stops asking for riceballs.

Anyways, I still haven't gotten an answer on my plating scroll question, and haven't found this guy that someone claims hands them out (I've never even seen him once).

Also, I'm building up for my FINAL RUN so to speak. I've got about 12 hours of the game in and about two dozen runs. I finally found a master sword (my second total) so I've started building it up. It's currently +2 and sitting in the Mountaintop Town. When I can save up enough to get it to +10 and I have a Hide Shield/Armor Ward hybrid from a melding pot (which I have in the mountaintop town storage as well) I'm going to evaluate all my equipment and give it a fair try. I have a feeling that this will be difficult to actually do because once I have all my gear built up I'm going to be very cautious on using it.

Anyways, one other question: on swords I know that it takes the [+X] amounts and adds them up, but if I have a Hide Shield +2 and an Armor Ward +3, when they're combined will it be a Armor Ward +5 that doesn't use up ,my hunger twice as fast?

LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Anyways, one other question: on swords I know that it takes the [+X] amounts and adds them up, but if I have a Hide Shield +2 and an Armor Ward +3, when they're combined will it be a Armor Ward +5 that doesn't use up ,my hunger twice as fast?

The effects cancel each other out so that your Armor Ward will now have NO special food related effects listed.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Anyways, I still haven't gotten an answer on my plating scroll question, and haven't found this guy that someone claims hands them out (I've never even seen him once).

Go to the inn in Cryptic Rock Valley(this is the name of the village just before the marsh, right?) and walk towards the back of the inn. There should be a staircase leading up to the second floor. Up the stairs there is a small room with a guy who hands out plating scrolls. I'm not sure if I did anything special to unlock him or not. Let me know if you don't see the stairs and I'll double check on my next run for more specific directions.

One warning about plating: leveled up slimes can remove it! This really sucked when it happened to me. My two travelling companions went off and caused a bunch of purple slimes to level up to grey and red slimes. I attacked them thinking I was safe, but they removed my plating and rusted my shit! And here I was thinking I was perfectly safe in the marsh Sad
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

The effects cancel each other out so that your Armor Ward will now have NO special food related effects listed.

Perfect, as this is what I had intended to type.

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im really pissed at this game as all of you seem to be finding really cool things and on my PAST TEN RUNS stupid shit has happened that made me not able to get past the fifth floor

im pretty much done with shiren now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
im really pissed at this game as all of you seem to be finding really cool things and on my PAST TEN RUNS stupid shit has happened that made me not able to get past the fifth floor

You're probably just moving too fast. It's not like I got all this cool shit on one run. I haven't had better than a polearm +2 yet this entire game. Getting a master sword was what made me start prepping for a good run. I still haven't seen a storehouse jar. It just takes some getting use to, and dieing a lot at low levels can get really discouraging. Outside of some seriously, seriously bad luck it's pretty reasonable to expect to make it to the mountaintop town most trips in this version.

LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
daphaknee wrote:

You're probably just moving too fast. It's not like I got all this cool shit on one run. I haven't had better than a polearm +2 yet this entire game. Getting a master sword was what made me start prepping for a good run. I still haven't seen a storehouse jar. It just takes some getting use to, and dieing a lot at low levels can get really discouraging. Outside of some seriously, seriously bad luck it's pretty reasonable to expect to make it to the mountaintop town most trips in this version.

I also find it interesting how the game will let you get pretty far even with a +2 Cudgel and that EVEN IF you have a +30 Mastersword it isn't always that big of an advantage.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the plating scroll guy: he's no longer at there on my game. Not sure if he just ran out of scrolls or what. Luckily I stockpiled several scrolls in the warehouse.
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsimpso wrote:
Update on the plating scroll guy: he's no longer at there on my game. Not sure if he just ran out of scrolls or what. Luckily I stockpiled several scrolls in the warehouse.

Have you already cleared Table Mountain and or unlocked the Kingy Dungeon?
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, furthest I've made it is 28F. I'm not aware of unlocking any bonus dungeons either.
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsimpso wrote:
No, furthest I've made it is 28F. I'm not aware of unlocking any bonus dungeons either.

Oh, nope, you can't do any of those until you clear the main one first. I myself never even KNEW of that guy upstairs initially but, as I assumed he'd only give me the scroll once, never went back to check if he was still there until it was too late.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never rush in this game! i just hate how luck is such a huge part of it

but ill get over it eventually and play again in a while (hopefully)

anyway im gonna start playing adom now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Also, I've been reading the thread and noticed that people are talking about other companions other than ones I've found. Is there a list of all the companions or anything?

Bulkor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesides Pekeji, there's Oryu (the woman who blinds you), Kechi (the blind masseur), and one more you supposedly unlock after clearing Fay's Final Problem, but I'm not even close to getting that one.

And maybe you figured out the wind thing on your own, but it's a warning to stop camping that level. After two of those warnings you get a big gust that's an unavoidable game over.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get the Kechi on your team?

And yeah, I figured out the wind thing because I ran into someone that told me about it.

Anyways, I'm really pissed off right now. I went back a few levels because I picked up 3 weapon upgrade scrolls. I went back to Mountaintop town and grabbed the Mastersword that I was working on and got it up to +8 and then went to the next level... completely forgetting to put it back in storage. Very angry that the next level I hit was a Monster House and it devistated me. When asked if I wanted rescue I just said no instinctively because... well, I was still just working on leveling up that master sword. Super fucking upset. At least I swapped it with a Katana +2, so things could be much, much worse off.

My Armor Ward shield has been melded with 2 hide shields. I'm hoping that this makes it actually use up less food when traveling. I'm only hoping to get a gold shield at this point and get anti-rusting. I also need to buy another melding pot for the sword, but they are really-really expensive, so I'm going to need to just get a lucky run where I can sell enough in Bamboo Village and collect enough by the time I make it to mountaintop town. I have a few swords that do specific damage, and I want to pick up that one that does 3 way attacks and meld them all together. I also have the warehouse in Mountaintop Town FULL of herbs of life/strength/shield powerup scrolls for when I'm ready to make my run. I have a pot full of big rice balls too. Also a lot of general staffs and scrolls. All in pots of holding.

When I actually decide to make "the run" I have a feeling that this is all going to end tragically.

AND! I finished up The Cliffs restaurant story line. It is probably the most narrative in the game I've run across yet.

QUESTION: How do you do the bungee jumping? I hit the event that says it's supposed to happen, but when I got there it's still the same.

Bulkor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Kechi, first you need to run into him in Table Mountain once and let him try accupressure on you for 200 gitan. (You've probably already done that.) After that you can find him cornered by a bunch of guys in the lower part of the Bamboo Village--walk south right from the entrance. Watch the scene and talk to him. After that you can find him cornered by people at the Mountaintop, not the Bamboo Village again; save him and talk to him again.

For bungee jumping, you need to get to the Mountaintop town with Pekeji, (and nobody else) where you'll hear the rumor. Then you need to get to Janus Valley by yourself. The jumping spot will be set up, but the guy there will tell you to bring somebody fat, so you need to bring Pekeji there. Supposedly if you force Pekeji to jump he'll immediately hit max level. If you do it yourself you'll get a bunch of experience. You can do it on later runs if you have 500 gitan.

It sucks to hear about the Mastersword. That's how all my attempts at forging and melding some superweapon have gone, though; I always do something silly with it and lose it. Eventually I just gave up on that, and to date all my clearing runs have been with pretty lousy weapons. It does sounds like you've got good stuff for that one. A Minotaur Axe for critical hits is also pretty sweet, but you'll need a storage pot.

Edited because Kechi is actually in the Mountaintop Village the second time.

Last edited by Bulkor on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've got a gold plated Katana +6 and a gold plated Bronzeward +4 sitting in Mountaintop Town, but they're starting to feel unnecessary. My last two runs are my two top scores on my ranking chart. (Apparently I've fallen 29 times.)

#1: J Love Score: 428013
On floor 30 of Waterfall Cavern, Shiren was felled by Madremlas's attack.
Level: 27
Hit points: 141
Strength: 9/9
Gitans: 6303
Sword: Katana +2
Shield: Iron Shield +1
Armband: Antidote Armband

#2: J Love Score: 406115
On floor 28 of Dragoncry Trials, Shiren was felled by Dragon Head's attack.
Level: 27
Hit points: 152
Strength: 9/9
Gitans: 2217
Sword: Drain Buster +1 (Gold Plated)
Shield: Nothing
Armband: Nothing

I find the best way to get through the marsh is to have one or two other people with you. If you can keep Pekeji or Oryu between yourself and the nastier monsters, you have nothing to fear.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my first melding jar. When melding, does the base strength of the weapon or shield remain the same as the base item's strength? If I meld a katana +4 with a club +3 to make a katana +7, will the base strength still be 6? If I put the club in first to make a club +7, would it's base strength still be 2(or whatever a club's is)?
Bulkor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, whatever you put in first becomes the base item and retains its base strength.

Something I'm thinking about now that I've opened up the third freaking take-items-in dungeon is that you can make a really powerful sword (base strength 12) by tempering a katana up to +99, and an even crazier one (base strength 50) by tempering that up to +70. There's a shield you can do a similar thing with but it seems like you can only get it in Fay's Final Puzzle. It's sort of toss up whether I want to spend a whole lot of time building up some equipment for the dungeons that allow it, or spend the same time dying over and over again in the Final Puzzle while I try to adjust to the new enemy selection and maybe, just maybe, get out with good items.
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsimpso wrote:
I just received my first melding jar. When melding, does the base strength of the weapon or shield remain the same as the base item's strength? If I meld a katana +4 with a club +3 to make a katana +7, will the base strength still be 6? If I put the club in first to make a club +7, would it's base strength still be 2(or whatever a club's is)?

The base weapon/shield determines the base value and the maximum pluses allowed. Each added weapon/shield after that will add its pluses (or minuses) and its abilities to the first item. Some aspects aren't transferable (like a hide or club's rustproofness).
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkor wrote:
Yeah, whatever you put in first becomes the base item and retains its base strength.

Something I'm thinking about now that I've opened up the third freaking take-items-in dungeon is that you can make a really powerful sword (base strength 12) by tempering a katana up to +99, and an even crazier one (base strength 50) by tempering that up to +70. There's a shield you can do a similar thing with but it seems like you can only get it in Fay's Final Puzzle. It's sort of toss up whether I want to spend a whole lot of time building up some equipment for the dungeons that allow it, or spend the same time dying over and over again in the Final Puzzle while I try to adjust to the new enemy selection and maybe, just maybe, get out with good items.

This is why RESCUE RUNS of "The Final Puzzle" are key to item collecting. They're a great way to jump in, get some cool equipment you'll never find in Table Mountain, and then warp out once you tag the "rescuee".
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to avoid being turned into a riceball by the skull wraiths? And once transformed, is there anything at all you can do about it? I just died on 27F when an offscreen skull wraith transformed me into a riceball just as a death angel swept through the wall. This was in a pretty confined room and is the first time I've died where I felt there really wasn't anything I could have done differently. I thought I might make it out when the skull wraith level drained the death angel, but then I was confused one step from the doorway. This one really sucked. I was pretty well equiped and felt I had a good chance of winning.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the info on melding. My katana +7 served me well up until the point I was raped on 27F.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsimpso wrote:
Is there any way to avoid being turned into a riceball by the skull wraiths? And once transformed, is there anything at all you can do about it? I just died on 27F when an offscreen skull wraith transformed me into a riceball just as a death angel swept through the wall. This was in a pretty confined room and is the first time I've died where I felt there really wasn't anything I could have done differently. I thought I might make it out when the skull wraith level drained the death angel, but then I was confused one step from the doorway. This one really sucked. I was pretty well equiped and felt I had a good chance of winning.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the info on melding. My katana +7 served me well up until the point I was raped on 27F.

Not a whole lot you can do about this other than wait/walk it off. There is, however, the Prism Shield which will convert any magical attack into 10 points of damage (not sure this is necessarily better) but no wacky spell effects.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little disappointed that Upright Mugla and the other wandering NPCs don't have anything to say about my recent condor flight.
Keidrych

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Shiren's main game, and am enjoying the optional dungeons. I suck at them.

Has anyone here played Torneko: The Last Hope or Nightmare Of Druaga? How do they compare to Shiren DS?

Also, does anyone know exactly what was changed in this remake?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: