The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A WANDERER, A WEASEL, AND THE TRIP THROUGH IMPASSE VALLEY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, what a feeling of satisfaction! This isn't being clever because the game made a puzzle for you to be clever about, it's genuinely inventive the way you can use your items.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i the only one who kicked lil bro out of her party for good?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
am i the only one who kicked lil bro out of her party for good?

Not sure how you did that but too bad as it sure appears he becomes the most potent side-kick eventually.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
For the adventerous among you...

http://www.shiren.jp/install.html

This is a fully legal and official link to the 2002 Windows version of this game! Its in Japanese, of course, so you'll need to setup your system to allow Japanese text (just make sure its an enabled in your Regional/Language settings) and your good to go.

i've been trying to install this, and it hasn't been working. i type in an email address and hit enter, and get an error message. i don't even know what the error message is, because it's appearing as question marks even though my computer is supposedly configured to display japanese.

boo!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
LordGek wrote:
For the adventerous among you...

http://www.shiren.jp/install.html

This is a fully legal and official link to the 2002 Windows version of this game! Its in Japanese, of course, so you'll need to setup your system to allow Japanese text (just make sure its an enabled in your Regional/Language settings) and your good to go.

i've been trying to install this, and it hasn't been working. i type in an email address and hit enter, and get an error message. i don't even know what the error message is, because it's appearing as question marks even though my computer is supposedly configured to display japanese.

boo!

The adress was valid when I posted it but perhaps it was only a very limited time offer, either way, as I found out the hard way, it was only an evil tease! After you solved the first little quest (rescuing a little boy) about 12 levels in and then return BOOM, its time to enter your registration code or something. Like it was just a very limited demo. I also found out later that there were TWO Shiren Windows games released at about the same time in 2002 (are they trying to confuse us?) and what you had the link for was clearly the weaker of the two (IMHO) as its one based on the ORIGINAL Gameboy Shiren and the other that, for lack of a better ranslation I'll call Asuka Shiren is a Windows port of the Dreamcast Shiren game with all sorts of cool stuff! Here is a review somebody made of the Dreamcast version of this game to give you a clue what you're in for (the Windows port added a few extra challenge levels, I believe, but was pretty close to the same idea):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamcast/review/R60724.html

Doesn't it just make your mouth water!? The language barrier will be a pain but if all goes well I should have it in my hands in a couple of days from now!

Lastly, even with the Japanese language stuff installed you need to make sure, in your regionl/language settings of control panel, that you have Japanese set as your "Language for non-unicode" Stuff under the Advanced Language tab. While set this way your English shoot sould still work fine but youmight see a few Japanese characters appearing in weird places while web browsing and the like (probably best to set this BACK to English when not doing a lot of Japanese games at the moment). If you try one of these Japanese games WITHOUT that tweak to the settings the menus will just display a lot of unintelligible gobbledigook (although, when you can't read Japanese the Japanese isn't a whole lot more useful but at least then you can refer to the FAQs on the game and have a clue what they're talking about).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Torneko finally came in (actually I am a little shocked it got here so quick with the post office being as bad as it is). I tried at first to get the game to run on ePSXe, and it ran fine... it is just that I could not get the interlacing to work right or something so the image was squashed. So I decided to use my PS2 to play it (which I like to avoid because the PS1 memory card I am using is a 3rd party one and could die any minute, but I keep forgetting to get a new memory card and can't find my others), and the streching that I thought was just on ePSXe was also the same on the PS1.

So Torneko just has a really strange native resolution. Use screen streching if you are playing this with ePSXe. It looks odd, but that is how it looks on TV too. But I already had the save and cleared the room on my memory card so I might as well play on the PS2. Besides, ePSXe is a resource hog and makes my fan really loud.

So I started playing and got a fair amount of the game opened up. It feels (at first) like Shirin: a lot. But the more I played the more differences I found. The largest is that it is divided up into different mysterious (sorry Magical) dungeons. Most usually have a goal and most of the goals feel obtainable. This makes the sense of survival stronger in me and I play a little less haphazzardly.

The dungeons also seem to be themed. Some have a ton of wands, others herbs, and others have weapons/armor. The dungeons are also themed and have a real sense of depth as opposed to Shirin's stages which change. The dungeons are also not as organic feeling, they feel more like boxes connected with lines.

The music is fantastic though, much better than Shirin. I also really like the claymation and use of claymation as the background. The opening movie is fantastic. Also the world of Dragon Quest (enemies) really lends itself well to the Mysterious Dungeons. I am really looking forward to the Pokemon ones now.

Overall this is an evolution of Shirin for sure. It is not as tight of a single package, but it works well with all its parts. I know that I would not consider the game so easy were it not for my thirty or more runs of Shirin. I also feel that this game tells you more and prepairs you better for the dungeons (explination wise). The fact that you can only save at certain points makes the dungeons more tense (even though this really dosen't matter in the scheme of things). And being a "tubby" merchant is pretty great.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, lets go further. As we all know Yangus is getting a FnD game soon, but what about this one: Dragon Quest KYARAKUTAZU the large adventure 3 of TORUNEKO - wonderful dungeon?

Also, I was under the impression that the Slime Mori Mori games had something to do with FnD.

Anyways, I want to know more about Chun Soft and their FnD games. Also, how hard is it really to play these in Japanese... I imagine quite difficult.

Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think a Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon will be good Shaper? I am not so optimistic.
I am now very excited for this game, this "Furai no Shiren". But, the ROM I downloaded doesn't work Sad
I have patched a normal ROM using SNES tool, and it freezes at the opening screen. It's eating away at my soul...I need to play this game, it sounds awesome.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is again.

the thing with the rom is you have to strip the header before you apply the patch. i think that's the part most people are having trouble with.
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dessgeega. Sorry for making you yousendit this link for the umpteenth time.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's only the third!

my mission is to spread the joy of shiren.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Hell, lets go further. As we all know Yangus is getting a FnD game soon, but what about this one: Dragon Quest KYARAKUTAZU the large adventure 3 of TORUNEKO - wonderful dungeon?

Also, I was under the impression that the Slime Mori Mori games had something to do with FnD.

Anyways, I want to know more about Chun Soft and their FnD games. Also, how hard is it really to play these in Japanese... I imagine quite difficult.

Actually Torneko 3 is one of my all time favorites and I was able to play it without reading or speaking any Japanese myself. It initially was released as a PS2 game with some pretty snazzy 3/4 perspective graphics but, not having a modded PS2 I didn't snag the game until it was released on the GBA. The GBA version, not able to pull off the new 3D graphics instead does a PERFECT recreation of the PS1's Torneko: The Last Hope's style of graphics! This sequel is a big MORE OF EVERYTHING as far as more creatures with cool abilities, LOTS more items from every category, and even introduces Torneko's son that gets his own little half of the game in which he plays out a bit differently (he can't use normal weapons, armor, or read scrolls BUT INSTEAD has a chance with each creature he knocks out that it will become a pal (who levels, uses his special abilities and can be given basic instructions like actively engage any baddies to just try to avoid all contact with hostiles). While he's a lot harder to get started with, once you have a little entourage of upto 10 beasties following you around and you gaining all of the experience from their kills, you can become pretty amazingly powerful! The one downside, I felt, is that they went with persistent character levels for most of the game meaning that if you're knocked out in a dungeon you'll probably lose all of your stuff but you still keep your current level (there are a couple of dungeons at the end that reset your level to 1 while you're in them but it goes right back where you left off once you come back out). I much prefer the ALWAYS being reset to level 1 at the start of the dungeon so its not just a matter of playing easier dungeons over and over until your some ungodly level when you hit the big final dungeon and nothing can touch you.

I'm also very curious about this upcoming Yangus game. While it doesn't look like Chunsoft is involved in this one (clearly its using their engine but perhaps some other developers), it looks like its a continuation of the whole Torneko series of games since I see many of the same creatures, items, and even style of maps, but it adds a lot of interesting elements like taking on various creature forms and being able to ride some of the creatures.

Oh, I just got the Asuka Shiren game yesterday. A pretty cool sequel to the whole SNES Shiren game with lots of new elements. My only gripe so far, however, is that this REALLY IS just a pretty straight port of the Dreamcast game as their is actually NO REAL MOUSE or MENU support. So no right clicking on an enemy for options or even using the mouse to move (like WAS in the other Shiren PC game released about the same time). Also it appears that the game only will run in a window at 800x600 resolution but, to be fair, the graphics are very crisp and fluidly animated (much more than the original SNES Shiren). Some of the clever tweaks I've seen so far:

Healing Pots: Unlike the ones in the original Shiren or even Torneko, to get fully healed you need to insert an item into the pot that is then absorbed and gone forever.

Scrolls of Escape: This scroll lets you jump back ito town BUT you'll only keep your cash and items you're actually wearing, everything else in your inventory is lost forever and you're back to level 1 (in the dungeon and character level).
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
While it doesn't look like Chunsoft is involved in this one (clearly its using their engine but perhaps some other developers)

Scuttlebutt has it that it is being developed by cavia.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either they're really getting around these days or I need to stop using IC as a primary news source.
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've spent some more time with Asuka Shiren and its still pretty damned cool.

I just recently found out you CAN do different screen resolutions so at least I'm no longer playing in a little 800x600 postage stamp of a window.

I'm already on level 15 or later on my first run and the fact that everything so far starts off identified, even pots and bracelets, it seems to make things a bit easier in this first main dungeon. I know I shouldn't get too cocky yet, though, since I think there are two main story dungeons you have to go through before the 7 or more themed bonus dungeons open up (most of which I believe DON'T have all of the item pre-IDed).

Some of the more interesting new baddies I've seen:

Big Frog Men: Their big claim to fame being that if just two spaces away from you they can drag you over to themselves with their big tongues.

Ninjas: Obnoxious star throwing bastages that can teleport around. One of their favorite manuvers being letting you get right up to them and then jumping back a space while throwing a star at you right before you can smack them.

Big Tiger Guys: These guys love to just pick up and throw folk around the room. They may throw you across it or just pick up another nearby baddy and throw them at you!

Magical Wizard Hats: These floating wizard hats with arms have a fun trick...they love to JUMP INSIDE YOU (much like when a Musha Ghost possessed a creature in Shiren the Wanderer) and for a few turns you'll be confused until they jump out of you again and resume attacking you.

Lastly, much like in Torneko 3, the shops you find in the towns of the game so far seem to have infinite supplies of set items (this given shop will always sell these same items every time you play) but, unlike shops in Shiren the Wanderer, there is no way to rob them (the random shops in the dungeon are still the same old way with random items on the floor you can try to steal various ways). While in one way kind of cheesey at least it ensures, if you save your cash, you can always get at least some basic weapon and shield (these are usually some pretty basic low level items offered). Oh, also as in the Torneko games, this game introduces a couple of different types of "Town Portal" scrolls. The basic more common one will just warp you out with just whatever you're wearing/weilding whereas there is a rarer one that will warp you out with all of your stuff. Either way, once you warp out of a dungeon back into the initial town your level will be reset to one and you'll have to do the dungeon over again. So if your situation is pretty dire and you'd like another run through that same dungeon NOW with at least a few decent items from the getgo, these scrolls can save the day.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUCKING FUCKING FUCKING FUCK ON A BRANCH IN A TREE.

right next to the stairs to crooked boulder valley - with the lost child and o-ryu in tow. i had decided to dive, to hit the stairs as soon as i found them, to finally get this child back to her parents. i appeared on the floor right next to the stairs - and then again - and then again, on the lowest level of the mountain spirit cave.

o-ryu spotted something and moved towards it - an enemy, quickly dispatched. i wanted to collect her back, of course. so i moved next to her, and then to the space next to the stairs, because the kid was standing on them now.

PIT TRAP.

fucking fell to crooked boulder valley, with the lost child one step away from her parents.

fuck in a tree.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yeah. a super gaze killed me a floor 22 by having me take off my clothes* while a flame priest roasted me.

* not to mention my minotaur axe +1. grr.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I beat the Lost Forrest today.

I have to say that this game as not as easy as I once thought it. It is just more seperated and divided.

I like Torneko a lot.

NezumiKozo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Just found this forum doing a search Reply with quote

Is it too late to continue the discussion on Furai no Shiren?

After countless deaths I have finally beat the first quest without dying once Smile

I'm going to start a new thread entitled "Furai no Shiren Tactics Q&A" so if you have any questions please post there.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Just found this forum doing a search Reply with quote

NezumiKozo wrote:
After countless deaths I have finally beat the first quest without dying once Smile

woo!

good job!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Only a person who has played this game can appreciate what I have accomplished. I know it's only a game but......I'm still proud Cool
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
and yeah. a super gaze killed me a floor 22 by having me take off my clothes* while a flame priest roasted me.

* not to mention my minotaur axe +1. grr.

hott

LJ -- Profile
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it hurt so good

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: RE How to make video of Shiren Reply with quote

How do you make a video of Shiren and post it on the forum?

Appreciate your response.

It would be fun if everyone who gets in a dicey (is that a word?)situation would start a video to show how they got out of the situation or how they perished Laughing
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: RE How to make video of Shiren Reply with quote

NezumiKozo wrote:
How do you make a video of Shiren and post it on the forum?

well, i'm running the game on a game doctor sf7, a hong kong pirate device that lets me play the translated rom on my snes. and my snes composite output is hooked up to a video capture device connected to my computer.

if you want to just record from an emulator, there are a bunch of programs that will record your computer screen, like camtasia.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: RE Taking video Reply with quote

My newphew told me the new snes9x v1.43 has a avi recorder so I'll use that and upload it to YouTubes or something. Only problem with that is you can't hear any sounds while recording but it plays back with sound. What's up with that. I guess I can't complain because it's free.

Thanks

Edit: Well I tried the snes9x v1.43 avi recorder but doesn't work very well but I found a free software called Bulent"s Screen Recorder. It's very easy to use. Here it is if you want to try it:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Screen_Capture_Tools/Bulent_s_Screen_Recorder.html

Last edited by NezumiKozo on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any adventerous folk looking into snagging that latest PS2 Japanese import, Dragon Quest: Yangus, the latest in the Dragon Quest Mysterious Dungeon games? I'm hoping to snag it myself sometime soon but would first need to get a PS2 and some way to mod it to play import games.
NezumiKozo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Shiren Robs Store Reply with quote

This will be my first video post ever.

Easy pickens on the first floor of the "Bufoo Dungeon":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv6NYwCTpP8
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiren Robs Store Reply with quote

NezumiKozo wrote:
Easy pickens on the first floor of the "Bufoo Dungeon"

that video is great.

the sfdoctor bug is acting up in weird ways. now when i scribe blank scrolls and reset the game, my mighty genocide scrolls become far less useful "genoci" scrolls. the solution is probably to not scribe blank scrolls until i'm about to use them.

also, i just died in the mountain spirit cave (due to a series of unfortunate events) to find that i was number one on the high score list! it turns out my ranking was somehow reset, so it's just me and all those crazy people who are there from the beginning. fortunately i have my old high scores backed up on a floppy disk.

still! pretty crazy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: RE How to "milk" video Reply with quote

Check out the videos on HOW TO "MILK" THE FLOORS and
MAKING FLYING PEETANS

http://www.gamersquarter.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=17501#17501
a_plus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on identification:

it seems like you never get enough id scrolls/pots to see what all of your items are. some of them i can figure out easily enough (back pots especially) but for those staffs and things, what techniques do you use? wave them and figure out what they do? what about pots? sometimes you just can't tell what they do when you put things in them. i've wasted more than a couple pots/items figuring out what pots do...
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tricks with all of them, I guess, but here is what I usually do to find out what pot I have:

1) Put in some unidentified item.
2) Now, is it still there and IDed (ID Pot), is it still there un-IDed but allowing me to take it back out (Preservation Pot), is it still there, un-IDed but not letting me grab it (Fusion Pot), has it changed into something else (Transformation Pot), or has it disappeared (Warehouse Pot). I'm sure I'm still missing a few possibilities but those, as I recall, are the most common results.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
on identification:

it seems like you never get enough id scrolls/pots to see what all of your items are. some of them i can figure out easily enough (back pots especially) but for those staffs and things, what techniques do you use? wave them and figure out what they do? what about pots? sometimes you just can't tell what they do when you put things in them. i've wasted more than a couple pots/items figuring out what pots do...

I usually ID pots and shields/swords, but I just use the staves to see what they do.

LJ -- Profile
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torneko SNES 99% translated. Why do I have to find this out at other websites?

dark steve

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the deadline for issue six?

Academic interest.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
What's the deadline for issue six?

the nineteenth.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to get LordGek to post in these forums is by posting in this thread, so...

Anyways, I just found that there is a Letter section in the official Shirin site and it is pretty damn funny:
http://www.chunsoft.co.jp/game/shiren/letter.html

It is really just a secion of fan letters ranging from "this game is good" to "I have played every day for 300 days."

Also google translates Shirin the Wanderer as: John the Don of Wonder... which is kind of great.

LordGek

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The second bounce is expected!
-Mr. Chiba

No clue what that means but it doesn't mean its not true!

I have been for the last several weeks CONSUMED by Asuka Shiren...heck I even sucked NezumiKozo into the madness (and from his e-mails I don't think he regrets it).

The part that really has me reeling is that once you finish the main storyline quest (2 big dungeons one fairly easy and the next about equivalent difficulty to the main one in Shiren) the game unlocks some 30+ themed dungeons!! Cool updated takes on the Shiren Trap (now you can pickup and toss the various traps) and Food (as opposed to meat its little mechanical robots of all of the game's creatures that you can level up like some mini pokemon like game or simply wear to gain the creatures' unique powers) dungeons.

One of the weirder dungeons I just played was called something to the effect of "Free Economy". Picture a fairly standard Shiren dungeon with the big twist being that the ONLY itema you'll ever find in the dungeon floors is bags of cash...that is with the exception of the General Dungeon Store (specialty shops might be possible but I never saw them appear) on practically every level. It appears while almost anything can appear in these stores, everything in the game starts of un-IDed and it doesn't appear that any of the major robbing items have ever shown up (Big Room Scrolls, Teleportation Herbs, Pick-Axes. Wands of Digging, etc.). The other twist in this 99 level dungeon is that your final score is simply based on the CASH you have in hand when you die so if you buy a lot of cool equipment and are down to just 10 gp on the 80th level...you get 10 points and some newbie dying on the first floor after picking up a 324 gp pile of gold owns you arse (scoreboard-wise at least).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official Sega Chunsoft Sega Direct shop has opened!

Bad translation of the greeting wrote:

Thank you indeed for coming to the Sega Direct and official Chun Soft shop at this time.

This shop starts the commodity of Sega × Cheung project.

It would be greatly appreciated as "Catalog that can be right now bought" existence of the Chun Soft commodity if it could be your helping you because the commodity etc. that have not been obtained easily any longer are collected by the limited amount now.

Moreover, there is an excellent article obtained only by this "", too and see slow, please.[yea, I don't know what to do with this last line]

-Chun Soft Ltd.
The President and Representative Director
Koichi Nakamura

Damnit! I want one of those plushies. Unfortunatly most things there are for their Sound Novels, but if you go Here you will see that they are taking reservations for upcoming items including reprints of their two CD releases: Chunsoft Game Music Greatest Collection, and Shiren 20th Anniversary Special Collection (3 disc).

Funny that I found this out today as I just tracked down these two CD collections last night in mp3 form.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want the todo. so badly!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fushigi no dungeon 2 roms, both japanese and english for those who want them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a bit late to party, but could you possibly repost the patched copy of Shiren? I've tried for a week to get it working on my mac with no success.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the Shonen Yangus Fushigi No Dungeon game in the mail a while back. I played it for a couple hours and while it wouldn't be impossible to play (like Shiren would) it would require me to at least be able to know what all the kana are. I had a conversation with a friend of mine who is far too obsessed with nethack yet really likes Shiren. So here are some impressions on Mysterious Dungeon Yangus:

3:16 PM John: Ah hey
3:17 PM How go things?
me: I just got Fushigi no Dungeon Yangus from Play-Asia
3:18 PM Ah, cool. How is it?
Yangus was the coolest character in DQ8.
Wow, what happened?
Hm.
Ack
3:19 PM Bad scene, really bad scene
me: I understand that this game has a 999F dungeon as the last challenge though
John: Hm.
That's actually not too exciting.
me: Yea
well
The "gimmick" of the game is that you capture all the monsters you can come across and train them
John: In Shiren, the 99 level dungeon is hard until you figure out the duplication pot + withdraw scroll trick.
3:20 PM I could probably have gone another 100 levels after doing that.
If it works like Nethack pets, then that's really cool. If it works like Pokemon monsters, or Azure Dreams monsters, then it's ho-hum.
me: I guess that there are a few monsters that you can only get past the 500level mark
I ... don't know how any of those work
3:21 PM John: Shall I explain?
me: Well, I do with Pokemon, but I don't get the association
Sure
I haven't gotten to the monster capturing part of the game yet though
I am pretty sure that I am still in the tutorial part of the game
John: Azure Dreams monsters, to my knowledge, work like POkemon. You "catch" one, then you keep it forever. It persists between plays, and there's a "catch 'em all" type of goal.
3:22 PM I've not played AD, but I've read a little on it. I could have my facts wrong on the details, but I got a strong impression of monsters being like "extra party members".
In Nethack, you begin the game with a pet dog, cat or horse (depending on your options file and/or character class).
The monster is another monster in the dungeon, just like any other, with the difference that this one's not trying to kill you.
3:23 PM It can die, and forever, so it's to your best interest to get him out of trouble if he gets into it.
You can also have multiple pets. In fact, you can fill the whole dungeon level with your pets if you have the means.
You can also tame most (but not all) monsters.
There is no collection mechanic there, however.
3:24 PM Monsters can use many of their special abilities when they're on your side, too.
3:25 PM So, the Yangus game could have Nethack-like pets (an autonominous entity on your site exploring the dungeon who might stray away and fight on his own), or Pokemon like monsters (who are essentially party members who have no on-screen representation during exploration).
me: I am hoping that it will be a combination of the two
I know that there is a collection aspect to it all
3:26 PM John: The two types of monsters are suited to competely different types of games. A roguelike with all the characters condensed into one icon is bad idea, given their emphasis on movement, positioning and the combination of their exploration and combat games.
me: Well ...
John: A Pokemon game, on the other hand, IS its combat game.
3:27 PM me: right now there is a guy explaining it to me while standing on a dragon
John: There's little interesting in the exploration field.
me: perhaps you can ride them!
(I can't read japanese)
John: That'd be cool. Nethack has them too in a recent version, although in standard Nethack fashion there are drawbacks and dangers with riding mounted creatures.
3:28 PM By the way, I'm thinking about doing a Youtube movie of the last levels of Nethack.
I've got a recording of a recent win I'd be putting voice narration to.
me: nice
You should also write that article Wink
John: It's of the ASCII version of the game though, not the VGA graphics version.
3:29 PM Yeah, I've been going and compiling a list of games I'd like to write about, for the various web places I visit.
me: Yea, that is going to need naration
3:30 PM John: If you like games like Shiren, I think you
You'd probably really enjoy ToeJam & Earl. It looks like the furtherest thing from it at first, but it does stick close to the Roguelike design ethic.
3:31 PM TJ&E III has some of that too, TJ&E II is a different kind of game though.
me: I should probably get that game
John: I may have mentioned that before, heh.
I've got a ROM of it if you want a copy.
me: I remember playing it a little as a kid but not too much more than the aesthesis of it
3:32 PM John: (I actually own the physical cart too, though.)
I'm trying to remember all the games I've played that I enjoyed but are almost unknown today for my list.
3:33 PM me: Yea, I mean that I would have to obtain the cart again
I can't really play games emulated unless it is the only way to play them
Shiren for example
John: Understandable
3:41 PM me: Hmm, interesting
After you capture a slime by weakining him he is in your pot
but he is unhappy
me: you have to feed him to get him to like tyou
3:42 PM John: Hm, how do you feed him?
me: WIth bread
John: You put him in a special monster pot item?
me: Now I have let him out
3:43 PM Yes, something like that
John: Do the pots work like the ones in Shiren?
me: It is the only pot I have gotten so far and it seems to be unlimited
for sucking up weakend monsters
The Slime is following me now
3:44 PM John: He has his own spot in the dungeon? Is combat done roguelike-style?
me: I can't tell
so far he seems to just be following me and not doing anything
I also can't seem to capture any other monsters right now
But yes, he has his own spot
3:45 PM John: Shiren, now that I think of it, had Nethack-like pets in a way.
You had those NPCs that joined you.
me: yes
3:46 PM Hmmm
3:47 PM The slime leveled up by proxy of me attacking
John: Hm?
So, experience is pooled?
me: he still hasn't done anything but follow me yet
it seems like it is pooled
His health regenerates when he walks too
3:48 PM John: That's how RLs do it generally.
me: And you can talk to him and give him things
3:49 PM Hmmm.... so I just fed him two breads and he gained a point of health
John: Interesting
3:50 PM me: I fed him a sleep herb, but it made him like me more
I also gave him a few weapons...
I wonder what happen to them
3:51 PM John: Does he just eat them, or does he use them?
me: I can't tell
but you can change the formation of where he stays!
hmm
this is interesting
3:52 PM Ooops
It seems to be a she
John: Heh
me: and It seems like the weapons have added to her atributes, but the weapon itself is gone
John: Hm
3:53 PM me: Ok
the slime went off and kicked a red slimes ass
While I was fighting a different slime
3:54 PM John: Probably a result of deeply-ingrained slime prejudice.
3:55 PM They look cute, but that happy face hides a seething pot of racial tension.
me: haha
No, I think it has to do with that formation setting I messed with
Also, there are pots, but ...
You can only catch one creature per pot
3:56 PM and use a new pot each time
John: aaaah
me: ....
interesting stuff
John: Yep
3:58 PM me: So you can have one monster as a guard and the other as an attacker
John: Cool.
me: you can assign up to eight different formations it seems
4:10 PM me: Ghaa, I can't play Yangus anymore
me: There is too much to remember
John: In response to it having a lot to remember: HA! (bitter laughter)
me: (pokemon no dungeion games)
John: Take a look at what there is to learn about Nethack:
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/nethack/spoilerlist.html
4:12 PM me: Well, it is not just that it is a lot toremember, but it is a lot to remember WHILE remember what it looks like in Japanese
which is the main problem
John: Aah, true.
You know, Nethack's actually gotten no less than two translations into Japanese!
4:13 PM me: It also seems like you get to ride dragons if you catch those
John: Cool. Only dragons though?
One of the Nethack translations is notable for adding a new character class to the game, the "soldier," who is essentially a Sailor Moon schoolgirl clone.
4:14 PM Them's the perils of making your game open source, anyone can add whatever the hell they want, heh.
me: Well, a dragon is the only thing I found a picture of
John: Ah.
me: Man, it seems like this game has a lot of interesting things in it, and it looks really good.
John: In Nethack, monster riding depends on finding a saddle in the dungeon.
me: Damn shame it probably won't get translated
John: (And if the saddle gets cursed... mwa-ha-ha!)
It won't?
4:15 PM me: A saddle could be involved with this game too
I doubt it...
John: I thought you said it probably would?
me: DQVIII didn't sell that well

Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this just in: in japan, i bought a super famicom and a few games. one of them happened to be a furai no shiren 2 cart.

rejoice!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huzzah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most-requested file on the gamer's quarter forums is now back online.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread lives again!

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I have yet to download this game. All that will change today.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so hey, yangus looks pretty good.

and torneko is in it!!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so hey, yangus looks pretty good.

and torneko is in it!!

It is pretty good! Did you read my commetns??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: