The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lestrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a good thing. What was it with 32X games and their eye-searing colour palettes?

Hey, check this out! Bungie would be pleased with me.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think back in January I read a New Years horoscope that said this year, "everything would change." If that was the case, I should have kept that horoscope for reference, because it feels like my whole world has flipped upside-down.

My entire roster of friends has somehow mutated into something entirely different, and not always good. People are different now in bad ways, and some people haven't turned bad, but haven't done anything good in a long time—for themselves or anyone else. During the past 10 months, I have fought with almost all my friends. In the worst example, I discovered that one friend and her boyfriend were closet racists and so I gave them the boot.

My attitude towards the world around me has changed. I've told magazines to fuck off (check the next issue of Communication Arts for one possible example of that). I've told the Toronto Transit Commission to fuck off because they're trying to replace things like reliable service and reasonable fares with fucking security cameras. I've also told, in conjunction with this, two city councillors to fuck off, and one friend besides.

This year's big FanExpo convention—usually the highlight of my year—was so bad (nevermind the fact that I got sick halfway through) that I probably won't go back again. It's gotten so out of focus and expensive that I no longer have fun or make money, whereas a couple of years ago, I thought I was going somewhere, and I was destined for fun and adventure.

Even the smaller events have changed for the worse from last year. Today's Canzine—what should have been a joyous full day of wonderful independent zine convention goodness—was so terrible, I may have to tell it to fuck off as well.

Last year the cozy con hosting more than 3000 attendees and was great in terms of camaraderie and general sales. Today was godawful. The attendance was pathetic and everyone that was there was a goddamn scarf-wearing ironic "indie" asshole. I can't even go into details without making myself angry.

So all this too has changed, and it looks like my once-bright self-publishing plans have soured considerably. Things peaked early and then quickly slid downhill.

Furthermore, it seems like the whole city has changed. The arts don't really feel like a big thing anymore—and by "the arts" I don't mean stupid ironic meaningless bullshit performance art or corporate-sponsored exhibitions; I mean support for events like Canzine and the like.

My friend thinks that Torontonians are spoiled; a local band in every bar, a movie release on every corner. There's no room for anyone, and everyone that is here is trying to squeal louder than everyone else. There's so much to do that to the art-fucks it's all banal and "so yesterday." No one I meet in "art circles" or even the lesser "comic book circles" feels like being a human being to anyone. Literally, when I walk into a room, all smiles, ready to meet some "cool" people, all I get are cold shoulders and rolled eyes. There is no sincerity here.

And finally, my personal sphere has changed. I find myself less interested in my job, unable to make headway in what I love to do (art, comics, ziney-stuff, etc.), and utterly discouraged. These days there are only three things in life I don't hate: my wife, my cat and my TV.

Everyone else can, well, fuck off. Maybe some things never change.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to fuck off ben!

Anyways, yeah, I have a feeling this will be me next year for me. Then again, shit like this happens every couple years to me it seems. Sorry things have been nothing but hassle for you from this end Sad

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I join with shaper in refusing to fuck off!

I really dig your game/system comparison threads. Just thought I would throw that in there.

We don't have any scenes here, but I do understand what it feels like to think you're set and to have it fall through. There have been around 4 times when I thought I was finally about to 'make it,' only to have it fall out from under me. Just recently, a company that really likes us was setting to launch 12-15 titles this year, with us guaranteed work from them, and that being our main stable of income and how I can justify my efforts, just to have them sign on with someone else for publishing. I went from jazzed that I was finally about to have the income to save up and help with my girlfriend's student loans to 'AAAAHHHHHHH FFFUUUCCCCKKKKKK!' It's a horrible feeling, isn't it? But cats do make things better, don't they?

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, d00ds. For the record, here are some photos (terrible ones from my exposure-adjusted cell phone) of the event. Our room ended up turning really dark throughout the day (which is why I had to adjust my phone's camera) and it wasn't until 30 minutes till close that the hotel staff remembered a light in the room that would have helped. Fuckers.

Also, Ryan, I know exactly what you mean. I am not the feet-first hyper-optimistic type (I have friends who always get themselves in these kinds of situations), and those kind of false starts are maddening.

My Canzine table

Sugar Head's stash

Sugar Head's Set-up

Eating Zines

The Not-Dark Room

Screen prints
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's the big guy?

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my friend Adam, AKA "Sugar Head." He writes a really smart, twisted story called Rem Dim Sum. He is, by all accounts, a master of geography, zoology, and Canadian history, among other things. He's usually with me in all my convention videos.

So, today: my headphones at work broke and I (apparently) stepped in poo. I want to go out at lunch to get new shoes! :-(
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stream of consciousness time...

I'm here at home now (Shaper I know I owe you stuff but tomorrow morning, I promise) somewhat freaking. Just driving myself crazy because I'm bored and antsy and fuck I need to get out. Lately I'm being routined to death; work is boring as fuck, and 75% of my time is spent passing along emails. I'm losing my mind and the lack of stimulation is killing me. Home has fallen into a bit of routine as well, which is entirely my fault. I need to mix things up; I'm starting to go from antsy to angry—all the time. I never check my email outside of work hours, because I hate email. I hate typing too, which makes this post thick with either irony or something more malicious. I hate having barriers between me and other people. Or ideas, or expression. I'm not a good creator because I don't see the point of drawing a 300 page comic when I could tell someone the idea and it makes the same sense. I hate being on my computer. I hate voicemail. (I REALLY hate voicemail.) I hate not being able to create something and have it instantly accessible by my desired audience. I want an auto-scanner-publisher that will photograph a drawing or painting or something and put it somewhere online, without me having to touch a button. I hate friends who are unreliable, which unfortunately is most of them. Sadly, it's even harder to find people I'd like to work with on anything for many of the same reasons. I can think of one right now, and he feels the same about me. We should do something awesome. Over the past couple of years I've lost an edge I had once; that obsession to not own. I find myself coveting more and more, which is evil and bad and fucking annoying in more ways than I can count. I need to return to that better, simpler, healthier mentality when I had less money: borrow, don't own. Rent, don't buy. Share, don't horde. I'm probably going to sell a bunch of stuff to cleanse the palette, so to speak. When I was a kid, I was very internalized; I liked to use my imagination and write and draw and was perfectly happy and capable of being still and quiet. Now, not so much. I need to externalize all the time like a baby needs to be born when its time has come. I hate sitting in, I like going out. I don't want to go to friends' places and sit there, I want to head out and people-watch. I like having a small apartment, because it forces me not to rely on it; I can't horde or hide. I can't come up with ideas sitting in front of a computer or even a sketch pad; I need to go out and get my eyes, ears, tongue and hands working. I need that primal interaction with the world around me to jump-start the synapses; they don't turn on by themselves anymore. I hate writing, like I'm doing now. I enjoy talking. Before, the opposite was true. I hate repeating myself, which is why I have a hard time drawing comics about all the weird stuff that happens to me; I've seen it already, told somebody about it, so it's old hat. I don't like any project that takes me more than a day to complete. I like (1) Steal underwear, (2) ???, (3) Profit.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and guess whose Xbox just red-ringed?! WHOOOOO!!!

I've just scheduled my repair. I can't believe I'll be Xboxless for (potentially) a month and a half! I was going to buy Virtua Fighter tomorrow, too. Good thing I didn't end up getting Guitar Hero. Sucks for my wife, though; she just bought Katamari and now she can't play it...

I better get a fucking HDMI-enabled Xbox when it comes back!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Xbox 360 Logo
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to say, fuck you! To everyone.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be pink and adorable, but I hate you all the same!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
You may be pink and adorable, but I hate you all the same!

;_;

Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart, 'tis crushed.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Pink Teddy Bear, I didn't mean it.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm hoping to get to the game store to offload a tonne of crap today. I am pairing down my collection and getting rid of miscellaneous controllers, games I don't play, and consoles. Goodbye, Super Famicom! I will cling to you no more.

Anyway, as a courtesy, I'm posting what I'm getting rid of. If anyone will seriously PayPal me money for any of this today, I'll keep it for you instead of trading it in.

Selling:
Super Famicom (w/ composite & S-video cables + controllers)
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (JP; cart only)
Rez (PS2 - JP; entirely mint condition)
Zombies vs. Ambulances (PS2 - JP; entirely mint condition)
PS2 Street Fighter controller (Akuma)
Quake II (PS1)
Rebel Assault 2 (PS1 - JP)
Xbox 360 composite cable
Silver Gamecube controller
Killer Instinct (SNES; cart only)
3rd party GC memory card

--

I am also close to launching my updated website, which I hope will be lovely and beautiful.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, my updated website is a go. It's got some revised illustrations, a slightly different format, is expanded somewhat, and even includes an art blog. I'm really happy with it. Now just have to add new stuff to it!

Tomorrow I'm going to the game store to get rid of my junk and get something with the proceeds. I know Mario Galaxy comes out next week, but I'm not sure what to do about that. Am I in the mood right now? I dunno.

Played some more Ninja Gaiden II but my left thumb hurts like hell because of it! I switched to some Guilty Gear XX whatever edition. It's not 16:9, but it is 480p, and damn does it look good on my TV. I wish Street Fighter III was progressive scan too; it looks terrible, even when in 4:3 mode.

I kinda want to get Street Fighter Alpha Anthology because I know it's 480p too. I'm rediscovering my PS2 these days (thanks, Guitar Hero!), but now I refuse to play anything that isn't progressive-scan on it. Hell, if Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 can look downright amazing on this TV, I want all my other games to be be as equally impressive.

I wish they'd re-release a widescreen, 480p version of Ico. And MGS2. And Silent Hill 2. And... you get the point.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, you're missing a lot of TGQ illos ;_;
Lestrade wrote:
And Silent Hill 2

You can get a 480p version, though not widescreen on the Xbox. The 360 port has some weird errors, but apparently it is at least playable. The regular Xbox version is gorgeous with component cables.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on a no-games policy, apparently. I haven't played a thing since the weekend. Man, is my noggin clear!

Guess what? Hide your children, because I'm going to be teaching! I just got offered a position filling in for someone at OCAD, the city's biggest art and design college/university. I'm going to be teaching a software workshop. I start on Monday; crazy!
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Congratulations! That's a pretty rad thing to have offered out of nowhere.

And I wish I had seen that sale. Argh! I shouldn't be buying more stuff, but some of it was tempting.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the Super Famicom!

And thanks!

Oh, and here's the place where I'll be working. I'll be somewhere in the pixelized box on stilts, teaching in a room that is ironically named after the company I work for!

PROTIP! I also live somewhere in this photo!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By accident I now have a working copy of the original Silent Hill on my PSP. It's oddly compelling in that format.

I start teaching today.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So two weeks later and guess what? No fucking Xbox 360. I fact, I still haven't received my shipping carton. The support idiots had to cancel my ticket and start another one because—surprise—the person who originally helped me was from America and didn't know what Canada was. There is probably a UPS box floating around the States with my name on it, because the woman didn't understand that Canada is another country and we don't use UPS for these sorts of things.

The second person was a lot more helpful. But I was suppose to have my shipping box by Wednesday. I know where Microsoft Canada is; how can it take a week to ship a fucking cardboard fucking box from 30 minutes away!? What is the fucking problem with these retards!?

I phoned tonight to check in on things and the first person I got just told me to call back. He told me that with the holiday there could be a delay. I kindly reminded him that

AS I STATED IN MY ADDRESS I AM NOT IN FUCKING AMERICA AND THUS HAVE NO HOLIDAY TO APPARENTLY DELAY MY CARDBOARD FUCKING BOX, YOU INBRED STRAW-CHEWING COCKSUCKER

He agreed that yes, that's true; being a Canadian, I am not affected by the holiday and thus he had no excuse at all for what was happening. The best he could say was to call back in two or three business days.

Again: box. Thirty minutes away. I could walk there and pick it up if they like! I really don't mind!

A little bit later I called again to see if I could get a tracking number for Purolator, the shipping company we use here for these sorts of things. First, the phone system hung up on me. Second, the man I got this time wouldn't believe me when I told him my reference number. "You're missing some numbers!" he implored. I less-than-kindly told him that the troglodyte before him seemed to have no problem with the number.

After some back and forth I got the same answer; call back, but this time on Monday. I can't get a tracking number because, apparently, the cardboard box that comes from Microsoft doesn't get one. Only the system coming back does. Okay, that makes no sense, but fair enough; at least it was a straight answer.

So now I'm sitting here again, just fuming at this. I am going to call again tomorrow and ask if I can just take transit to fucking Mississauga and drop my machine off. I really don't mind! This is just fucking ridiculous.

The real question that's circling in my mind is; when all this is said and done, am I even going to want the thing back?

I've sort of quit video games and the internet the past two weeks, and I don't know why. I just said, "fuck it," and that was that. I can't bring myself to play anything, even Mario Galaxy, for more than a little while. I just don't seem to care anymore. And now this.

What the hell?

--

Okay, completely random thought: who else thinks that after this generation, no game system will ever have an actual hard drive—and by that I mean a spinning platter—ever again? For all the complaints about the Wii, I have nooooooo problems with flash memory or other solid-state storage. Who wants a big, expensive, stupid-looking, proprietary hard drive anyway? Or even a big, stupid, standard, off-the-shelf one?

Fuck this fucking fuck.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a few things have happened since angry last night:

1) I bought awesome Blackspot v1 sneakers (hi, Dess)

2) I installed Boot Camp and Windows Vista on my wife's iMac. I downloaded Steam and now have a demo of Half-Life 2 that runs beautifully. This means I can get HL2/the Orange Box and play mods like that Toronto one! I finally have access to PC games and doujin soft, which makes me very, very excited.

3) I went into FutureShop this morning, bought an Xbox Live Arcade box, and slapped my hard drive onto it. If you see me online, that's why. I have until January 8 to return the thing, and return it I will! Just as soon as Microfuck gets my own Xbox situation sorted. Consider it a gigantic, free rental.

Now, if I could only find a freaking copy of the Guitar Hero III bundle anywhere in this city...
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks and five phone calls later, I finally receiving my shipping carton. Actually, I received two—what the fuck?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for anyone keeping track, here is the quick low-down on my broken Xbox 360:

1) Xbox breaks

2) two and a half weeks later, after four or five phone calls and much bitching, I finally receive not one, but two (?) cardboard shipping cartons

3) Last Thursday at around 5:45 PM, I dropped my Xbox off at the local courier's

4) Yesterday, about one and a half business days later, I received my replacement Xbox

Almost three weeks to receive the shipping carton, and less than two days to actually get my replacement. Just... amazing.

My replacement Xbox is, sadly, not a newer, HDMI-sporting model, which is disappointing. Still, it's nice to have the beast back, even though it is now bland and sticker-less.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun dealing with MS again when you can't play your live arcade games off line, or even use your themes (if you're into that kind of thing).

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you were totally right, Shaper. I'm trying to recover my GamerTag but even that has stopped working (I think it's due to a wonky network connection, though). Can you let me in the steps I should take if this doesn't work?
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had to send your hard drive in as well? My friend sent one in recently but kept his hard drive; he shouldn't have any problems putting in his hard drive on a new unit, right? As far as I had heard, moving it to a new unit was just like moving an SD card from one computer to another.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
My friend sent one in recently but kept his hard drive; he shouldn't have any problems putting in his hard drive on a new unit, right? As far as I had heard, moving it to a new unit was just like moving an SD card from one computer to another.

Yeah, that's not the problem we're talking about. The hdd goes on very easily (I've moved mine quite a bit), it's just that when you download a game and pay for it the DRM locks into your serial number for your console and your hdd both. If you change your console you have to log online to confirm your "own" those things, and also stay online. I'm pissed because where I am right now I don't really have easy internet access and can't play almost any of my XBLA games.

Lestrade: I recommend starting here for the steps to follow.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Shaper. I'm going to do what you did so I hopefully don't get stuck on the phone quite as long.

The whole hard-drive-bone-is-connected-to-the-Xbox-bone thing is really a hassle. As usually with DRM plans, they end up only hurting honest customers.

On another, unrelated note, I'm rolling around the idea of buying an inexpensive BTO PC from a local, reputable shop. I might hook it up to my LCD HDTV and get a wireless mouse/keyboard setup for giant-screen rounds of Half-Life 2: Toronto Conflict. Or a wired Xbox 360 controller, for that matter.

Does HL2 offer gamepad support?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Xbox 360 and Wii controller support are built into the source engine now (could be wrong on this though). The only problem for me is that I would need a bluetooth adapter for playing with the Wii remote on my PC. It looks pretty awesome though.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh fuck: Wiimote support would be incredible. All our Macs have Bluetooth, so I should see if I can get this running on our Mac/PC mutant hybrid.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm selling stuff:

Sega CDX
• gorgeous condition
• comes with two 3-button pads
- AV and power cables includes
• works like a fuckin' charm

Here's a photo (minus one controller):

Sega CD-X

Last edited by Lestrade on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY?!

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because I'm not using it, and I don't think I will. I've got too many systems and miscellany and I need to pare down.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much, sir?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've PMed you, Ryan.

*** MY WIFE HAS VETOED THIS DECISION AND THE SATURN AND ITS VARIOUS GAMES AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE ***

And you know what? I'll put my Saturn on the block, too:

White Japanese Sega Saturn
• brilliant condition
• comes with new battery for save games (I installed it myself)
• includes one matching controller
• comes with Pro Action (or whatever it's called) 4 MB RAM cart; allows US/Euro games to be played

Saturn Nights Set
• the original Nights
• includes analogue controller, game, and original packaging

Saturn games
• Virtua Fighter 2 (US, disc only)
• Virtua Fighter 1 (JP, complete)
• Daytona USA (US, disc only)
• Christmas Nights (JP, complete)
• Quake (US, complete)
• Layer Section (JP, complete)
• Street Fighter II Collection (JP, complete)

Last edited by Lestrade on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have got the flu shot.

Someone commented yesterday on the bizarre speed a which I can get sick. I have a pretty fast metabolism, and the same speed seems to apply to illnesses as well. I went from hero to zero yesterday at work in about two hours.

First my legs felt stiff, which I thought was odd, and then boom—my whole body ached, my head swam and I was cold and weak.

I went home (something happened along the way I will explain later), and tried to sleep. By the time my lovely, lovely wife came home and made me some truly rocking chicken soup, I felt to be near death.

I've only been this flu-affected once before in my life. I was a teenager, and I seriously thought I was going to die; I was shaking so bad I could barely pour a cup of Neo Citran. I was in bed, wearing three layers of clothes, including good ol' Kodiak socks. It was the scariest night of my life, and the Neo Citran-fueled dream about Scrooge McDuck in the New York Library was a queer moment—in which I'm pretty sure I saw through time—i'll never forget.

Tonight was the closest I've come to that. I spent a freezing, fevered few hours in bed, dreaming God-knows-what, wondering how I'd ever possibly stay warm. Then after sleeping, I had to use the bathroom, and magically, the tide had turned, and I was sweating like my head was about to collapse into molten lava.

I couldn't find our goddamn thermometer, so I don't know how hot I was/am, but conversely I couldn't stay cool enough. Now I'm here, having taken over the living room, and feeling better, but oddly warm.

But the question is: why the fuck am I getting sick so much? Christ, the past 12 months have been brutal. Anyone else getting sick all the time? It's not like I sit there pawing babies and eating nothing but fast food, or injecting myself with HIV to purposely break down my immune system. Still, it's been a rough year.

Thus, my New Year's resolution is: do whatever it takes to not get sick this year.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. the thing I was going to mention before: I bought a PS3.

Yeah, yeah, I can't believe it either, to be honest. I'm actually experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse, because it's the 40 GB version (it's all I had the budget for), and I really fucking wish I could play Silent Hill 2 on it. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending) I bought it from a store that doesn't have a no-questions return policy, so I'm stuck with it.

That's pretty negative sounding, I know. This is the first game system I've ever bought for which I can't think of any games to buy. I played the Rachet and Clank demo and was bored within two minutes. Uh, PS1 games look nice on it, though...?

Truth be told, I bought it as a Blu-Ray player. There's a long story behind this, but it's stupid and boring. All that matters is, as of last week, it looks like Blu-Ray has won, and there are certain movies I really want to own in HD. Sorry, Xbox 360 HD-DVD player: you're going back to the store tomorrow.

So here we are. I can't spend any more money right now, which is a shame, as there's a tasty-looking downloadable version of Mortal Kombat II on PSN. Other than this, I can't think of a single game to play on this thing.

I spent hours last night, in my sickly state, setting the system up, which was as painful as I remember reading about a year ago. The PS3 somehow gimped my Airport, so today I had to reset and troubleshoot my entire wireless network. God. Now, everything's setup: I have a PSN account; my PS3 can talk to my PSP; both machines are online; I've got custom wallpaper and downloaded themes; I've seen what a good job the machine does with upscaling DVDs.

The machine seems nearly wonderful; I've got all these doo-dads and settings all cooked up. Now it sits there, begging for attention. Do something with me! it pleads. I'd like to, PS3, I really would.

I don't own a lot of DVDs, but the ones I really like are the ones I will re-purchase in HD; I imagine my first set of purchases for this thing will in fact be movies. And I guess that's all right. But until MGS4 comes out, what am I supposed to play on this thing?

P.S. When will Sony have downloadable PS2 games on PSN? All I really want are Silent Hill 2 and MGS2; please, Sony, please!
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love the CDX, but three companies are behind on paying me. If I get some cash in before you sell it, I'll take it off your hands.

The PS3 is a very handy DVD/BR player. Lately, I've taken to downloading episodes of The Computer Chronicles off archive.org, along with a few older movies (The Last Man on Earth), and streaming them to my living room from the system. The 360 can do this as well, but the Playstation has the optimal setup, so it wins as my main media hub. You could always return the newer one and buy an older one - a new old one, possibly - cheaper off ebay, if you feel too bad about it.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Ryan. There are other people gunning for it, so I'll let you know.

As I stated above, I can't actually return the PS3. Which is both good and bad; good in that I'm forced not to think about it, bad because—well.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncharted drakes fortune sounds like it could be good ala Lara Croft. who knows.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
But the question is: why the fuck am I getting sick so much? Christ, the past 12 months have been brutal. Anyone else getting sick all the time?

Yeah, starting about a year ago with an insanely nasty flu followed up by some regular flu, I've had 3 bouts of food poisoning/gastroenteritis and another nasty stomach bug that's turned into some sort of chronic bowel inflammation that I've had for almost 4 months now. I also got a head cold yesterday just to top it all off. I've heard loads of horror stories from various doctors that I've been shuttled to, there's a lot of stuff going around that's not only pretty nasty, a lot of it seems to be stuff where they're not entirely sure even what it is.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's horrific, Scratchmonkey. That really scares me.

I asked my mother on the phone: what the sweet fuck is wrong with me? In 2006 I think I had one cold, and it was minor. In 2007 I was sick four or more times. Maybe I was thinking, is there something wrong with me that I don't know about? But no, she had heard all the same things you're saying.

Then I was sitting in bed last night reading "I Am Legend" and I starting freaking out. All the talk about the bizarre weather, the superbugs, the strange sicknesses—I had to stop reading because I was really getting myself worked up.

We had a January thaw a week and a half ago that was frightening. It was PLUS SIX, which is ridiculous for this time of year. We should all be freezing our asses off by now. I was wearing a fall jacket. I'm pretty sure that period had a lot to do with all the people I know now who are sick.

Sweet fuck, we are all going to die.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we knew that already (with the possible exception of people who are way too into the Singularity).

And yeah, it can be pretty terrifying. I had to go through an insane amount of tests and various doctors saying "we don't know precisely what's going on; you don't appear to be in any serious danger though" before I stopped having panic attacks and basically being a nervous wreck.

In comparison to the Plague and the influenza epidemic, this is still small potatoes. The wheel goes round and round.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well, hmmm , the ebay-ebay route, maybe? That might be too much of a hassle though.

I've been sick since early November. The day after my last final, I came down with a nasty cold. I was pretty much stuck on the sofa for about four weeks, then I was okay for a week or so, but then relapsed while out of town for a wedding. Aside from being stuck and feeling like hell, I had just began to exercise again, after realizing that I had gained 20 pounds back of the 50 I had lost over a year and a half. That put me out of commission for a while.

I'm just now getting better, but since our house has to be on 80 before we actually get heat, I'm having to walk around with a blanket wrapped around me and in several layers of clothes - well, it's that or pay over $100 a month for gas, which my inner frugalness refuses to do. Unfortunately, the misses is now sick as well. So double boo to all this.

One thing that came out of my illness, and also living five minutes from a library, is that I watched all of season 2 of Stargate Atlantis. I've only seen one episode before, but it made for an excellent thing to have on while I drifted in and out of consciousness.

Having read about Scratchmonkey's problems elsewhere, the bumps on my leg don't even seem to warrant attention. I hope both of you - ya'll, if I may - feel better, because this here is not fun.

Oh yeah, lestrade, how is the teaching job working out?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Ryan, that's crazy. That is really terrible; even with my run of colds and flus, I've been feeling frustrated with it all. You must be going bonkers. I hope you can figure things out and stay warm and healthy. Get some big-ass woolen socks!

Thanks for asking about the job; I just started my second semester tonight (not that fun considering I wish I was sleeping/dead). The school sort of pulled a 180 on me, though; they told me I was teaching the Adobe Creative Suite as I did before, but then it came to light that they wanted me to teach Dreamweaver. Good thing I know that too, because they were going to give the job to someone else. I fought for it; I'm kind of hoping I can somehow spin this into a job teaching web design, but we'll see. That will be tough. Maybe in a year or two.

I think I scared the shit out of my students tonight. I had to in order to tell them what they were in for. Next week they'll understand.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not sure if you've still got the PS3 or not, but I've been using mine a lot lately. Even more than the Xbox believe it or not. Part of it's so that I can play movies on it, but a big part of it is the downloadable shit and a few good games.

First the in-store games: Uncharted should not be missed. Matt didn't like it at first, but he's come around and I think he actually enjoyed it. He thinks its flawed, which I can agree with, but I love it and I think it's the best game that came out last year (I like action adventure games a lot).

Ratchet and Clank Future I can also recommend wholeheartedly. Yeah, the demo sucked and talked me out of getting it, but I ended up getting it for Christmas and I'm glad I did. It's seriously much better as a whole package. I realize this is a risk, considering it's still $60 and the demo blew, but trust me when I say that it's a very good game. I thought I might like it better than Mario Galaxy for a while, but after a few more levels of Galaxy I think they're tied.

Other than that, I've been playing Ninja Gaiden: Sigma, which is superb, but only because it's the same game as an Xbox game you probably already have. Still, it's a good excuse to play it again if you never got around to finishing it the first time. Paid $40 for it and feel justified.

Heavenly Sword is also decent, but I wouldn't (and didn't) pay more than $40 for it. Again, it's much better than the demo would lead you to believe.

Other than this, there are some great downloadable games.

Everyday Shooter is the best for sure, followed by Flow, and then either Super Stardust HD or Blast Factor. Blast Factor is good if you like puzzle-shooters and Super Stardust is good if you like shoot 'em up shooters. I prefer Blast Factor. It's also the cheaper of the two and the only one that has 2-player co-op (albeit through an expansion pack). If you like Tekken, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection came out, and it's basically a pumped up, beautified version of the arcade game. It's also only $20 ($30 if you want online play). Calling all Cars is great for 4 people and pointless for anything less. I'd also recommend the part of "Go Puzzle" with the guy jumping over huge cubes on the side of a skyscraper. The other parts are terrible though and you'll regret it if you buy the package. There's also Castlevania: SOTN, but you probably know about that.

If you have the option to sell the PS3 and get a 60 gig you should do it, otherwise you can still find some good stuff on it if you're willing to buy downloadable shit.

Ugh. This is a crappy post and I have no time to edit it up. Well whatever!

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: