The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lestrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condimation?
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Hey, here I am, more sober this time.

Thanks for the kind words, Scratch. I think I'm just frustrated at my inability to jump into what I really want to be doing. Also, the people who surround me currently make me less than happy; I just can't relate to them. And that the art/comic "community" is not that at all; it's a clique-hive with clear disdain for all outside its ranks.

I guess I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, but it's all uphill and my chances are slim. Arrrgh. I know this sounds like high school bullshit, but it just gets to me sometimes....

My friend is going through a very rough time, too. He even has a good bit of experience - about 4 years at Dr. Master Publications, now a production manager, plus some freelance gig (a retail myth add-on and some freelance work on a DS and mobile phone game) - and he just can't seem to get anything in the industry he really wants (gaming), aside from the very rare scraps, and those are recent. I find him to be an extremely talented artist - and you too; I really like your stuff - so I really feel for him. Since we have a hard time getting work, despite our lengthy list of retail products released, I can relate to him, and to you.

I'm not sure what I can offer, since we're in the same boat, just that doing what you want and not being a success (yet) seems so much better than not doing it and meandering about.

The only good case is a friend of mine who was an associate editor at the then largest independent gaming site for 2-3 years, being flown all over for interviews and whatnot, but always working at a beer store to survive. He is the best editor and writer I know, and it took him something like 7 years of working at the beer store before he finally landed a job at a publisher in Ontario, reporting for their magazine and newspaper. It took him forever to get a job and position that he deserved, but it felt good to get the news through him. However you can, just try to stick with it. It sucks, but the alternative just seems worse.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you, Ryan. I have decided to do just that.

P.S.
I AM THE FUCKING WIND
Arrrrgh, I only have 199.0%. :-(

EDIT: 200.2%...
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aside: That's a sexy, sexy Saturn. I had to sell my Japanese Saturn when times got tough - not a sleek white model but the more pedestrian gray - so now I have around 20 games I can't play. I have a 4-in-1 cart, but I don't want to damage my original, circa 1996, domestic Saturn. I think it's time I check out eBay.

Also, I have a copy of Panzer Dragoon 2, but it has a woman's face and a traditional dragon on the disc. I've never been able to play it to see what it is, but a text file on the disc lists shoulder buttons and whatnot as being used for something. If you, or anyone else, has any idea as to what it is, please let me know so I can mark this mystery as Case Closed.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! I have no idea what that is, Ryan. Is it a burn?

The videogame therapy continues. My best friend and I rented NHL 07 to continue our long-standing hockey-game rivalry. The short version: he almost always wins. But I put on a good show, as I literally provide hours of hilarious colour commentary. Watch in awe as I give nicknames to every player on my team—such as "Zibart Tidy Car," "South Korea" and "Ogre-Headed Chara"—and literally scream mercilessly with each failed shot. My only defense against such a superior opponent is to try to cripple him with laughter.

Then, for dessert, I break into song whenever the in-game nu-rock emo garbage kicks in on a replay; marvel as I belt out such screamo classics at full volume as, "Daddy Didn't Let Me Borrow The Car," "I Love the Mall," and "I Wanted to Buy a New Wristband But I Failed English Class." My wife almost left me.

And speaking of emo idiots: I also worked on art and got organised about such things, which has me feeling a lot more positive.

I needed to be a complete and utter 'tard this weekend to shake off this downtrodden feeling, and it's working. After moving my friend yesterday—a surprisingly easy endeavour—the entirety of "the gang" was drinking beers and eating Portuguese chicken, and being a bunch of complete idiots. It was... well, it was very necessary.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
A very important message for our very own ShaperMC.

I found this... I should tell your girl, because this isn't her!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sssshh!!

For your viewing pleasure! TGQ Hits Akihabara!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't... stop... listening to the Castlevania IV soundtrack... So... freaking... good...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever heard the Sharp X68000 Soundtrack (the one for the original version of Castlevania Chronicles)? It's easily my overall favorite "chip tunes" soundtrack for a CV game.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that suggestion, I'm listening to it right now.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know what you think!

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I like it! I think I prefer the sweeping majesty of the CIV soundtrack, but this one has some really nice compositions. Uematsu's Black Mages really should perform this on-stage sometime, shouldn't they?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I post this stuff here, but I feel bizarrely compelled to, so bear with me or ignore this at your leisure.

My father went into the hospital late last week with a bad case of pneumonia. We realise now he probably was afflicted for a few weeks before chewing him out by yours truly finally got him to go to his doctor again, so by the time he was admitted, he was in pretty rough shape.

Unfortunately he was moved to intensive care yesterday, and he's not doing well. He's very positive-sounding (read: stubborn) on the phone, but he's also 72 and no stranger to near-death situations. So, my wife and I are leaving the city tomorrow morning to visit him—you know, just in case.

My father's place is connected, so I imagine I'll be online regularly, just to have something to do when I'm not visiting him or cleaning up around the house. Again, I don't know why I'm writing this; I just feel I should.

I also drew a whole lot of really cool Spider-Man and Venom drawings this weekend; I will put them up when I can.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck, lestrade.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the good luck giving. That would be rough.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best wished for your pops.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes over here, too.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, take care of everything. Good luck!

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. Thanks for the well-wishing; I really appreciate it. I'm in Pembroke now. Visited my dad yesterday; he seems to be doing much better, and I think just being in town will help him out. He's still in intensive care, but he's apparently recovering. My mom's coming up tomorrow to keep us company while we're here (expect stories of a new Wii convert).

I still have to talk to my father's doctor (in ICU) and get the full scoop, since my dad's not great at getting clarification on everything. ICU is a freaky place; it's like the labs in the first Resident Evil movie.

My dad's still got pneumonia, and they're draining him while nursing his other bits (heart, etc.) back to normal. He can eat solid food now, which is helping his mind immensely; he was going crazy looking for a decent meal.

My mom and I might fucking tag-team his GP though. That motherfucker has been so negligent that this is the second time his shitty doctor skillz have landed my dad in a near-death situation. I'm not even kidding. I have the bastard's phone number and address. We'll see what happens. I wish some of my scary large friends from the city were here.

Any advice on potential finishing moves to use on this idiot would be appreciated.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see things (GP not-withstanding) are going better. I'm sure that you're mom will improve the mood of things. Take care ben.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOMEONE'S TRYING TO KILL ME AND MY FAMILY

Holy fucking shit. I can't even believe this week. My mom arrived this morning, and around 12:20 we jumped in my dad's truck to get some food from the grocery store. We arrived there easily enough, did our shopping, and hopped back in the vehicle.

Mom drove cautiously out of the parking lot, onto the main road, and thank fuck that she did, because the next thing I know, she's saying, "I have no brakes!"

"What!?" I said, looking out the windshield at the traffic. Apparently mom realised this before she said anything, and only told us when she realised we were heading for an intersection. "Well—" I started, but mom was on it. She leaned on the horn, threw the truck into neutral and I rolled down the window in case I had to shout.

Luckily, no one was in the turning lane, and mom was able to coast the truck through a red light—heads from all sides turning and wondering at the sight (what were they thinking? That we were crazy?)—and roll the truck to a perfect stop in front of the local community college.

So after realising what had just happened, my mom and I went into the college to tell someone about the truck. A very nice, surprisingly helpful lady let us type up a sign to hang from the windshield of the truck: "BRAKES FAILED -- WILL RETURN FOR VEHICLE ASAP".

Mom, my wife and I grabbed our groceries and humped it back home, where we are now; thankfully safe, utterly bewildered.

And Nancy said this place was boring!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No brakes can be scary as hell man. All things said, I would rather have been in my situation than yours.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember when you posted about that and thought, "shit, I hope that never happens to me!" Well apparently I pissed some deity or another something fierce...

Still waiting to hear from my dad's mechanic who, apparently, "fixed" his brakes.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next he'll "fix" your wagon.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Har har!

Well, mechanic's taken the truck, so that'll be settled. We're looking to return on Sunday. Dad will be back by the weekend, I hope. We just have to make sure he's okay by himself, or else my sister will have to visit him. That and that he doesn't do anything stupid.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning to the city on Sunday. Made arrangements for my dad's well-being (he will hopefully be home before we leave).

Photos of the truck, post-brake-adventure:

Truck Aftermath

Truck – the Note
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to complete my Japan/Hong Kong 2007 photo set. Check this out from Kyoto: it's a Zelda shrine (not really, but you get the picture). Find the Master Sword for extra points!

Zelda Shrine

Don't believe me? Check this out!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was like "...huh?!"

then it clicked.

Large sword.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"SO VERY SICK OF HOSPITALS"

Just returned from this evening's visit with my dad. We don't know for sure if he's getting out tomorrow—all signs point to yes, but it's so hard to wrangle a straight answer out of anyone. I certainly hope so; currently he's in a ward with three other patients. One is a very old, very sick man; according to my mom, he most likely has cancer. He can barely make a sound (and what he does make was a ghastly, hollow sound), and appears to suffer from senility, alzheimer's, dementia, or some vile combination of all of these.

He wet himself while sitting in his chair. When we finally bade my dad good-night, I was tense, covered in a thick coat of pity, guilt and heartbreak. My mom uttered all that needed to be said: "There's no dignity in old age."

I remembered Empty Words, and why I wrote it. I thought of my parents, and what I'd do if they got to that point. Then I thought of myself; would I ever want to be like that? Of course not. Nobody would.

Then finally, I was thinking about modern life, about that tenacious need we seem to have developed to live longer, harder, stretching reality and natural existence.

I used to have the notion that I wanted to die young. I certainly don't believe that now, but I do think, I want to die with dignity. I don't want to be in that state, lost and alone in a hospital bed. God, no. I can't even bear to think of it.

I don't want to be 90, stretched so thin that there's nothing left of me; rather I'd "get while the gettin's good"; I'd rather exit on a dignifed course, instead of fighing and clawing for a life that doesn't even really exist anymore.

Yes, I'm so very sick of hospitals. My thanks and admiration goes out to all who deem to work in them.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Official Plan
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like all your dollar signs.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Is it that time of the year? Do you need some sent to you?

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time is approaching yes. If I could get some sent, that'd be great. I don't need a lot, and I'm in no rush.

- -

So while editing my travel video for Japan and Hong Kong yesterday (which I may or may not put up if some of you are interested), I found a whole bunch of little clips pertaining to TGQ, and to some staff members in particular.

I'm going to make a blooper reel or something of the sort and post it this week. It includes shotguns, Famitsu, and playing Street Fighter in a beat-up arcade in Hong Kong.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
The time is approaching yes. If I could get some sent, that'd be great. I don't need a lot, and I'm in no rush.

There should be 5 copies of Issue #8 in the mail on its way to you (and one to every staff member). Let me know if these don't find their way!

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 'em! Thanks!

I think I have a messed-up tooth. One of my front teeth (I just noticed in the mirror) has a vertical line running through it. Not sure how that happened. Oh Christ, am I going to need a false tooth?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been surprisingly quiet lately, haven't I? It's been a pretty busy time lately, but most of it is good-busy, which is nice.

I noticed that this week I have been positively itching for a new game. I never quite realised this until recently, but (and don't laugh) I'm like a smart dog. If you neglect a smart dog, they become highly destructive because they don't have anything to occupy themselves with. I'm the same way; when I'm bored, I become distracted, I do all sorts of unnecessary and stupid things, and I generally become completely wayward.

If I don't get a regular gaming fix, the same thing happens. But for me the trick is, I need a new game on a regular basis; you know, maybe one a month, tops. If there isn't anything to play, I start looking at my consoles and begin thinking, "Shit, I need to use these things for something." That's about the time you'll see me posting about maybe wanting to play an old GameCube game, or wondering if I should replay Game X, or asking about Virtual Console games I don't really want to buy, etc. That's me in smart-dog-is-bored mode.

Things are pretty thin as far as new gaming choices right now—at least according to my interests. I haven't played Super Paper Mario yet, and that's what I'm itching to get most. I don't even think there's anything good coming out in July, so I don't know what I'll do that month for a fix. I'm grateful that Metroid's coming out in August, and Halo 3 in September, which will keep me busy for some time. But the summer drought is upon us, and this is when I go stir-crazy.

Do any of you get like this too?
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just that way in general. I always thought I had too much free time, but I just think that whenever I have nothing to do. I review (2 titles currently), localize (4 games currently), am going for my MBA, and have a girlfriend a few hours away. I have a ton of nervous energy, which tends to me out as weird ticks, but if I don't do something I feel like I'll explode. Games are one of the few ways I can sit still and not realize how jittery I am. Like books (about 5 currently), I tend to have to go through several games at a time, switching between them to keep myself occupied. Film is probably the least of the ways I can relax - thanks, Twilight Zone ('60s). But yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. If I'm not doing something, I not only feel sluggish, I also tend to do really stupid stuff - complain, obsess over things, etc.

Is there a club for this? Can I be in this club?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a club. At club meetings, we'll go to a cottage, swim, and learn to relax. :-)

So, unexpectedly I've almost-finished my new illustration site. I have to change the home page image as well as add two more, and then get cracking on "real" work to replace the myriad filler that currently exists. Man, am I glad this is done! I'm really happy with it. I can't wait to print new business cards.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at an all-day Adobe Creative Suite 3 conference today. Don't believe me? Here's a blog post created live at the event. I'm on the right, about five rows from the front, wearing a red shirt.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Peter Cullen (from Montreal no less!) is the shit.

aerisdead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get him confused with Peter Mullan.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I ever mention how much I love the film Session 9? He's just spot-on in that.

And speaking of creepy, Silent Hill-esque decrepit buildings, check out this dream I had (copied and pasted from an email):

In the dream, I walked back to my apartment from the west, on Queen Street. As I got to the lot (which was different—wider, more spacious), I noticed an eerie silence and people milling about. I went to the site of the building and noticed that it looked run-down. The side entrance was blown open, and inside the walls were red and green and filthy, like an abandoned building smeared with blood. I moved to go inside and some tenants came out, slowly, looking shocked and dejected.

As I made my way into the building (which was strangely cramped), I saw that everything was like this. The walls, ceilings, floors; they were all ruinous, blackened by smoke, and splashes with bubbling, peeling crimson paint. Suddenly realizing that I didn't know what was going on or where Nancy was, I started climbing the only means up (since the elevators weren't working, and all the power was off); a thin, metal spiral staircase. I climbed up to our floor but Nancy caught me half-way up.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked her.

"It's like this with everybody," she said. "They got everybody."

"What? Who?"

"I don't know."

"You mean—this was a break-in?" I said. Nancy nodded. "Oh, man, what did they—"

"Everything," she stopped me, resigned. "They took everything."

Rather comically I thought, "Oh man, even my Wii?

The dream then skipped to a news report about the event, and showed footage of two men loading a huge dumpster with plastic water bottles. The report explained how this was the early stages of an elaborate plan that a group of criminals used to gradually breach a property like our apartment and then efficiently make off with everyone's stuff.

My alarm sounded and I woke up dazed, expecting to see green-and-red walls all around me. How thankful I was to enter the living room and see Nancy—and yes, my Wii!—safe and sound.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I am losing my mind. I am somewhat of a neat freak—I can admit it—and today I am making my wife buckle down. There is stuff that needs to be tossed, cleaned, or whatever; and we're doing it today. I'm just so sick of having too much stuff, and too much stuff we aren't using. I plan on being brutal and really cleaning house.

Other things I noticed during my obsessive episodes:

• I'm sick of hanging on to books I'll never read again. Those are going to get donated. I'm going to go to the library instead of the book store (most books I read are borrowed anyway)

• I really don't like owning VHS tapes or DVDs anymore. I prefer going to the theatre or renting. Again: goddammit, Apple, hurry up with the Canadian iTunes movie store!

• I won't feel so bad about all the old game discs I have if I could just clear some space and tuck it all away in a box somewhere

Driving myself crazy up in this piece!
aerisdead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obsessively put things in piles. I don't mind if I have a lot of useless stuff as long as it's all neatly piled up and squared away somewhere.

I have no idea why.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, like, Saruman's chamber kind of piles? Like a three-foot-high stack of books and scrolls? Organised chaos, and all that; I can get that. As long as there's a box neatly marked "Random Shit Related to, Say, Magazines" then I don't care how it looks inside.

Cleaning got done, but I've got more to do.

There is an attractive attendant at my gym with perfect eyeliner, sharply-coloured hair and lovely breasts wrapped in a flattering black tank top—oh noes!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't I get a version of Killer Instinct (arcade) anywhere? :-( Come on, Rare, release that shit! If I had it for MAME I wonder how it'd run? Probably like ass.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so enamoured with the forthcoming OSX desktop that I've faked it until the real deal arrives. I snipped the background image from Apple itself, and I've created a Photoshop file with an approximation of the new Dock, to which I can apply any desktop picture. I use ClearDock to remove Tiger's dock background, so it almost looks like the real thing! It all took me about 15 minutes to set up; now if I can only get that transparent menu bar... (EDIT: totally got the transparent menu bar now...)

(Click for larger version)
Fake Leopard Desktop

For reference, here's the real deal:
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the difference?
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'xactly! The top is my nerd-approximation, the bottom is what the thing will actually look like.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what's the difference?
$129.00 plus tax. Zing!

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: