The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lestrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerisdead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten

If you find it for less than $30 buy two and I will 100% pay you back in full for the second copy the second you put it in my hand.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade, take pictures of any Haruhi sightings you see around town, k?

AND WATCH OUT FOR GIANT ROLLING BALLS FULL OF BUILDINGS AND DOGS AND STUFF. I HEAR THAT SHIT IS RAMPANT IN JAYPAN.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, Persona! I am also looking for the cat-head-eating Shoko-tan.

Aerisdead, thanks for that. Thats what I thought. The cheapest Ive found it for so far is around 36200 yen. Do you want a copy? Im going tomorrow morning (uh, say six hours or so from the time of this post) so please let me know.

Did lots of stuff yesterday. Found some awesome used game stores, but I couldnt find anything to buy! Weirdest thing seen: some combo Rayforce-Rayracer??? PS1 game for freaking 165000 yen. Also Radiant Silvergun for the same price.

I have bought a Blue Hearts CD, which is awesome.

Again with the DSes everywhere, mostly owned by women and kids. Nancy bought a PSP game.

I ate at a tiny noodle restaurant owned by an old man. There was no English anywhere, he made our meals practically from scratch right there, and we were his only customers. It was quite an experience.

Watched two schoolgirl walk slowly in front of the path of a bus. The bus driver was too polite (I guess?) to honk, so they walked like this for a while, like they were walking the bus, without even realising it.

Yesterday we were in Mitaka to see the Studio Ghibli Museum. Holy sweet fuck that place is fantastic. I would like to buy it and live there. I bought books. We walked in the nearby park and along a beautiful, long, sakura-lined road. Japanese suburbs are very nice.

Tomorrow is Harajuku. Its 3:30 am and Im freaking hungry.
aerisdead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
The cheapest Ive found it for so far is around 36200 yen. Do you want a copy? Im going tomorrow morning (uh, say six hours or so from the time of this post) so please let me know.

you mean 3,620 yen, right?

That's about... $36, right? I'll buy a copy off you for that, sure. MAD CRAZY THANKS if you pick me up a copy, man.

p.s. Glad you're having a nice time. Enjoy Harajuku! Get a crepe. They're nice. And go to the punk shops! Black Market, round the corner from your apartment, always reminds me of the Harajuku punk stores.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you adding an extra 0 to your price tags? It's hard to believe that the DS Dictionary is over $300 and Radiant Silvergun is going for over $1000 USD...

You're staying in Akihabara, right? Every time I go there I find a game store that has a bunch of copies of some sort of recently released (within the past few months) Otaku-only game right in front of the store that they obviously overstocked in a major way and are trying to rid themselves of at an insanely low price. The first time I went it was one of the Tokimemo games (which I passed up) and the second time was the Psycho Onsen Ping Pong game (which I bought). Just out of curiosity, what game is that right now? Have you found a place that's selling a game for way less than it seems like it should be?

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, sorry, I did indeed get crazy mad wit' the zeroes. Okay, Aerisdead, I'll get two copies (and yeah, it's about 36 bucks).

Yeah, the whole point of Harajuku for me is the punk shops. I'm hoping to get something cool.

Wes, you're right about the game stores -- most new releases had used/marked-down versions of games for 800 - 1000 yen less. This was such a case. Funny note: Nancy was looking for PSP games, and I showed her both the Parodius and Twin Bee collections; she almost lost her shit right there. She's going to see if she has money left on the weekend and pick up at least one of them. She is also looking at the SimCity DS game. (Have I mentioned I love her recently?)

Will report in later! Video-ing is going well; hoepfully I have an interesting little project when I get back.

EDIT: Oh, I saw Star Fox 64 and TMNT for the NES were released on VC! That's awesome!

Also, Super Paper Mario is out here, innit? Damn, I wish I could play import games on my Wii; I would totally pick it up if I could, just because. Stupid draconian region lock-outs.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! You should buy me a tea table so I can get mad and flip it over at the next TGQ meet up!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. kanji software has been bought (for you too, Aerisdead). It is really good; I figured it out in about 30 minutes of use. It's a great way to learn the proper way to write kanji, I've found; if you write it in the wrong order, chances are the software will think you're trying to write something else, so you have to learn. It's been very handy, and I haven't even used it for a full day yet.

Nancy and I are in this comic cafe in Shibuya right now. I'm really, really tired from all the walking around.

We went through Harajuku, and I ended up getting a jacket from this nice girl at a punkish store. I also had a "korrope?" at Corochan's Corropes, or something like that. And the dude who would help me find a public washroom was this nice Jamaican guy. Everyone else said, "Sorry! Washrooms are for customers only!" :-(

I passed the myriad crepe joints, and recorded a little comment for you, Mr. Kumar.

Of course I went to -- uh, what was it called? Yellow Jacket, I think -- that punk store that is so not-punk it's hilarious. (Actually, obvious newsflash: it is impossible to live in Japan and truly be punk; sorry to break the illusion for anyone.) I took a picture of it the last time I was here -- they've been playing the same Rancid album (And Out Come The Wolves, my favourite) since at least four-and-a-half years ago.

After climbing the hilltastic Omotesando-dori (and stopping along the way, somewhat embarrasingly, at an upscale jewelry outfit), my loving wife and I ended up refueling at this fantastic little soup place called Tokyo Soup Stand (I think). Wow, great freaking soup. It was at the bottom of the stairs leading into the labyrinthine Omotesando Station. It was some truly memorable soup, no foolin'. I wish I had some more now.

Also in Harajuku, Nancy dragged me to the always-fascinating Mandarake uber-store. She went looking for manga and I beelined for the used game section (which is now devoid of the many Saturn games it held last time aroun, I noticed). After pawing through the PS1 section, I found one game I wanted.

I told Nancy that I'll only play PS1 games now that were released on or before 1997. If they are ports from the Saturn, 3DO or PC, so much the better. For some reason I am fascinated with this particular selection of titles. Anyway, I picked up the no-doubt-terrible Rebel Assault II, because it is the sequel to a Sega CD game, is an American game dubiously released in Japan, and because it comes in one of those why-the-hell-is-this-so-big? CD cases. Also, it cost me around three dollars. Besides, I've never played an FMV game before. So yeah, awesome.

I can't wait to get some sleep, and it's only 7:30! We head to Kyoto tomorrow.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I told Nancy that I'll only play PS1 games now that were released on or before 1997. If they are ports from the Saturn, 3DO or PC, so much the better. For some reason I am fascinated with this particular selection of titles. Anyway, I picked up the no-doubt-terrible Rebel Assault II, because it is the sequel to a Sega CD game, is an American game dubiously released in Japan, and because it comes in one of those why-the-hell-is-this-so-big? CD cases. Also, it cost me around three dollars. Besides, I've never played an FMV game before. So yeah, awesome.

Yes! Me too! I also have a thing for those big PS1 boxes.

Rebel Assault II wasn't too bad. I mean, keeping in mind that it's a FMV title. Since you haven't played any before, you might find it horrible; but I've played a good deal of them, thanks to my Sega CD, and found it surprisingly competent in comparison. I also found out that school was cancelled the next day due to rain while playing it a bunch, so I think that might be coloring my view a bit.
aerisdead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked Rebel Assault. I don't think I've played the sequel, though. I know they're not actually good, but they're old skool Star Wars, the kind of Star Wars that makes me happy and a kid again rather than suicidal.

I'd heard the dictionary requires proper stroke order, which is a good thing (I've always found stroke order helpful to memorisation, somehow.) Glad it's of use! Looking forward to fiddling with it.

I hear you can make it say swears!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want something from japan!

Can you pick me up like... an awesome flyer or something and write FU! on the back and then mail it to me (from canada)?

YOU'RE HAVING TOO MUCH FUN FOR JUST ONE MAN!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play IDOLM@STER and tell me how it is!
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to meet up with Tim or any other LPN people?

You should at least have curry with them once or something. :o

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from Kyoto. All I can say is, wow! I'm not feeling well -- I hope to hell I can avoid getting sick. I'm going to sleep for as long as I can.

The kanji software has saved my hide a few times. I just keep my DS in sleep mode in my pocket; it's so freaking handy.

Persona: I might be meeting Rud13, but Tim hasn't returned my emails, so I doubt he's interested in meeting. I'm hoping to meet my friend Megumi, though, and hit a sake bar or something.

Visited Nintendo! I have photos and video. The pilgrimage is complete!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Back from Kyoto.

Please tell me you went to San-ju-san Gendo! It's my favorite Kyoto Temple!

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Wes, we didn't! We passed it many times on the bus, though.

EDIT! Does anyone know if the cordless phone frequencies in Japan and Canada are the same/compatibile? There is a sweet phone/fax at Muji that my wife and I want. I've looked and looked online and can find no mention of incompatibilities, but I'd like to know for sure.

EDIT EDIT: Expect semi-hilarious footage of me losing badly at arcade Ridge Racer 2!

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Dammit, March of the Minis for DS comes out two days after I leave! I totally want that game!
aerisdead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March of the Minis is already out here, man.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerisdead wrote:
March of the Minis is already out here, man.

And it kinda sucks.

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's like lemmings with mario physics, but you don't get to run and jump around. all you do is tell your marios to go left, stop, wait for the pirahna plant to go back down, go left again.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is? What kind of sweet rock am I smoking? It's been out since September! And yeah, by all accounts it seems to suck. D'oh! Oh well, I can concentrate on Paper Mario when I get back.

I'm at an internet cafe in Ginza right now. I am so sick of seeing -- as Nancy puts it -- "ladies." Nancy wants me to create a flowchart of Japanese fashion, because the pigeonholes are few and obvious. In this case, I'm talking about the white trench-coated, clacky-booted pristine women whose perfect eyelashes and sparkly nails synchronize almost cosmically with their designer phones.

Gag.

I wish I had brought my real shitty jeans, and the goddamn drunken-country-boy shirt that my uncle made, as shitty and covered in storage-fuzz as it is, and my split-at-the-seams boots, so I could step into a Ginza store and nod my head in that particular way a Canadian driver nods his head over his headlights at a neighbour whose car he recognizes from the opposite side of a highway's yellow double-line.

This goes hand-in-hand with my theory about Japanese hamburgers. They are okay, but not great, because it is impossible for a burger from Japan to be truly great. The hamburger is the very symbol of chaos -- no two are alike, and they are best made from scratch from good chuck, in whatever shape they happen to take. They are not perfectly round and formed as the burger I ate today was. No, they are uneven like a worn, cracked strip of road, and smothered in a frighteningly random variety of toppings only hell could create (which should be entirely of one's choosing). They are messy, noisy affairs that are meant to elicit a simple feeling of release and joy -- for suddenly the notion of a sandwich has been taken to a perverse extreme. A hamburger is to be relished intensely and is entirely self-indulgent.

It is the least Japanese food I can think of.

My shining moment today was participating in hanami (flower-watching) in Ueno Park. You can't do hanami without drinking -- well, you COULD, but you'd be a total ass -- so I cracked a beer at 10:45 AM. It was the best beer I ever had.

I have no new game purchases to report, save for a white PSP pouch that I got for Nancy from the Sony building. There, a PS3 was playing the FFXIII trailer in TRUE HD(tm)(r), and it was fucking incredible. I even asked the girl tending the room if that was really 1080p. Unfortunately, I don't know the Japanese required to explain that I was about to poop my pants. Holy hell nice.

I am freaking tired. Time to partake of the free caffeine this 800-yen-an-hour joint affords me.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh boy. Did a complete Akihabara run yesterday. Went to Super Potato and almost wept with the sheer glory of it. Walked away at the end of the day with a shiny, beautiful copy of Symphony for PS1, complete. Oh, and a little thing I like to call a "Sega Saturn." I managed to find one of the games I really wanted for the system, Layer Section, for a decent price. I may -- MAY -- pick up Symphony for the Saturn as well, which means that:

a) I will own it for three different systems
b) I will have bought the game three times in the past two weeks alone

So sad, yet so awesome!

After dooming the whole possibility of meeting with anyone here, I quite serendipitously ran into -- quite literally -- Rud13 and Brendan yesterday. We hooked up with Tim and I have ridiculous video (most of which you will never see, unless you wanna see Tim and I busting out some MAD BEASTIE BOYS SKILLZ) of the whole affair. Shaper, there's a special nod to you again here, boss. Also, karaoke. And beer.

Yesterday will be a separate segment called "The Gamer's Quarter(tm) Hits Akihabara." I think you will all like it. I can't wait to edit it.

Today we leave for Hong Kong. I'm quite looking forward to it; there are no concessions to over-the-top manners in HK, and I get to speak my mother tongue or not at all. I imagine there'll be a lot of eating. And I don't have to do anything; Nancy gets to lead the charge.

Gotta go -- will post again soon!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
After dooming the whole possibility of meeting with anyone here, I quite serendipitously ran into -- quite literally -- Rud13 and Brendan yesterday. We hooked up with Tim and I have ridiculous video (most of which you will never see, unless you wanna see Tim and I busting out some MAD BEASTIE BOYS SKILLZ) of the whole affair. Shaper, there's a special nod to you again here, boss. Also, karaoke. And beer.

Oh, god.

Were you all making fun of my article?

FU TOO!!!!

(I want to see this video)

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I'm talking about the white trench-coated, clacky-booted pristine women whose perfect eyelashes and sparkly nails synchronize almost cosmically with their designer phones.

Man, I want to go to a Hanami.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, Nana, that picture is entirely wrong. That's a separate breed entirely.

In Hong Kong now. It's... like Toronto, but in reverse? It's Toronto's upside-down castle. Aerisdead, you would understand. I wish I could find a clean bathroom -- like anywhere. Going to touristy-type places because it's not like Chinese markets are anything new to me; went to a 29-floor bar last night that overlooked the harbour. They... have LASER SHOWS off the buildings every night. It's like a cross-harbour rave. Took the ferry, which was very nice indeed. Hoping to go to the Space Museum today, and maybe see a tailor.

Yesterday we came across a run-down arcade (well, everything is run down, it seems) that had Street Fighter II Turbo. Nancy filmed me playing and losing straight away -- it took me a while to notice that the Roundhouse Kick button didn't work! Oops!

Speaking of which, I managed to nab a cheap copy of SF Collection for the Saturn on our last day in Japan. I won't be able to play it until I return, of course, but I'm sure you'll all be happy to know that I bought Street Fighter for something like the 16th time.

Yesterday (well, the 11th) was my birthday so we went to an Italian restaurant in Soho -- a very surreal and interesting experience. I was in Hong Kong, eating Italian food, drinking Japanese beer, across the street from a 7-11, and our hostess was Indian. It really is like Bizarro Toronto here!

Don't know if I'll get back here before I come back. Aerisdead, I'll email you when I'm settled so you can get your game. Later, all.

EDIT: I have this Famitsu!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Yesterday (well, the 11th) was my birthday

Happy Birthday!

Also, there is absolutly nothing wrong with that photo.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
went to a 29-floor bar last night

a what?

holy crap.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a place that had Saturn SotN for 3,000. If I could have found the place again wellll!

Also SuperPotato ain't nothing compared to Friends. Completely different atmospheres!

Had a couple of things to comment on, so let me use this previous post scroller and find them!

Yellow Jacket and Jim's Inn (same hole in the ground) are quite nice stores. That's where Tim got his leather jacket. The Jackets are very nice for the price, but I couldn't justify anything else in the store.

Superwes, that current game is the DC robot controller game.

And I know where you can get a hella good hamburger so neah.

S'up Lestrade?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A message from Lestrade, who can't post because THE MAN is bringing him down:

"Rud13, thanks for meetin' and greetin'. I had a blast with you guys. I'll get you and the other dudes unedited video of the evening so you can have it.

I still have to get some Saturn stuff. I will send you an email aboot this; feel free to ignore it.

Hey, I did have a good burger, but like I said, it wasn't A-1 compared to what I'm used to. But after Hong Kong, I think I'm going to try to go vegetarian for a little while! I ate some things that I never want to see, alive and swimming in a tank, or dead, again. Shudder.

Hong Kong was great, although it was a completely different vibe. I did manage to do some cool stuff; we went to a restaurant that was on the 10th floor of the same building that housed the same bar I was at for my birthday. I think I managed to get some video of the Tron-like laser show over the harbour.

I'm in Narita airport right now, waiting for my connecting flight back home. I'm really going to miss Japan; I thought I wouldn't, but I do already. I'm really REALLY going to miss Kyoto -- that right there is the bestest spot in the whole world.

I've only been gone two weeks, but I feel like it's forever. Nancy bought me kanji study books (ones that seem to be in the same style as the method we were discussing with Brendan, Rud13), so I can pretend I'm still on vacation."

aerisdead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss Japan too ;_;

Lestrade let's move there together
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll do it. But Tokyo or Kyoto? Kyoto is so nice...

I'm baaaaaack! I have been awake now for around 24 hours. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I took a hot shower and shaved the despicable hobo-growth I was sporting; when I stepped out of the shower, I started hearing things. This includes: two men arguing in Cantonese with megaphones; a mariachi band; and some generic anime/J-pop commercial. I literally was hearing things out of nowhere. It's not like I'm suffering from any real sleep deprivation. Wow!

That's it; I'm going to bed. But for now: Shaper, here's your FU!

Shaper - FU

Shaper - FU (Pink)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME...

and is that an emo carebear?

Rud13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLS ARE AWESOME!
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Technically, he's EmoBear. I thought it was appropriate.

Oh god, being at work sucks.

Rud13: girls ARE awesome, but cell phone Ridge Racer is WAY MORE AWESOMER. :-( :-(
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AARRRGH JETLAAAAAGGGGG
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACHEIVEMENT UNLOCKED – HOLY PILGRIMAGE

Baring my chest at Nintendo HQ
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Shaper - FU (Pink)

japan has this quality to it like, uh, you know how when you run across a group of people who spent the entire night doing piles of mushrooms and they adopt some sort of silly behavior or item that sticks with them the entire time? like joe's got two different shoes on and sally kept writing "razzmatazz" on her arm in magic marker.

japan seems a lot like that.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: I know you hate Japan, Dhex, but please at least appreciate the hilarity of these images. And the fact that right then, right there, someone halfway across the world was thinking about TGQ and they didn't even know it.

Coming soon (I think): me reprising my role of master-performer of "More Than a Feeling" – karaoke edition.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i obviously appreciate the hilarity!

seriously though, it's totally like that.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drew two cats and a pug dog yesterday. My illustration empire is nigh.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very important message for our very own ShaperMC.

Also, pic of my recent purchase:

Le Sega Saturn
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gamer's Quarter Karaoke JAMZ Vol.1 Starring Tim Rogers
The Gamer's Quarter Karaoke JAMZ Vol.2 also Starring Tim Rogers

You're next, Rud13!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! The Action Replay Plus and S-Video cable for my Saturn came in the mail today. Now I can play the $2 and $4 copies of Daytona and Virtua Fighter 2 (respectively) that I found at my local game shop.

I also realised that my Saturn's battery was dead (no surprise, I guess); thankfully, I had an extra kicking around, that I'd tried to put into a Japanese-English dictionary a couple of years ago with no luck. It was in the same spot I left it and blammo! now it's not 1994 again each time I turn the Saturn on.

I eagerly await my Saturn-related eBay purchase, but it's fun to play the games I have now, at any rate. I also found the system's English option, which makes navigating the system menus a bit easier. This little beast is awesome!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went and saw The Host with two friends from out of town. I think I misled them when I called it a "monster movie" though—they didn't enjoy it, probably because they were expecting something different.

For my part, I loved the movie. Everything: the bizarre humour, the great photography, the wacky characters. And especially the monster. There were a few sketchy effects at the end, but for the majority of the movie that thing was just impressive; the way it moved, everything.

I thought the film had some truly great moments of tension, even when you could see the set-up coming a mile away. Its strength was that it never telegraphed from where. Despite conventions it managed to surprise and delight, and the over-the-top political and social commentary—ham-fisted, yes, but obviously so—really drove home the point that The Host isn't a monster movie, but a really fucked-up drama about a truly fucked-up family dealing with an extremely fucked-up situation.

Sitcom of the year?

On my way home from work today I saw a centre for overseas English teaching. I... I really got thinking. I think I'm going to drop in. Just to check.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some new illustrations. The first two are cats from Chococat, a Hong Kong-based "cat café"—far different than Japanese cat cafés, where girls wear cute dresses and cat outfits, mind. No, at Chococat, patrons have the questionable pleasure of sharing a run-of-the-mill third-floor café with a dozen cats, all in various states of repose.

Here are two of my favourites. The first cat latched on to me and made me his new pillow (that'd be my leg there).

Also during my trip, we visited my wife's friend's apartment in HK, where she keeps five very hyperactive pugs. Man, are those things crazy. I drew this eventually as a version of the "daddy pug," Bobby. I wanted the capture the queer looks those kinds of the dogs give you without even realising it.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am miserable. More miserable then I've ever been in all my years. While at a gallery for new illustrators I just sort of realised—I'm never going to amount to anything, am I? I'm going to be one of those lost causes on the periphery of everything else.

I've never felt this low. To be honest, if it wasn't for my wife—the only thing I really have—I would probably do something drastic. I would just finish this bullshit. I just... I just feel so incredibly hopeless. This is the lamest place on earth to even be writing this...

I will be 30 in two years, and what have I done? Where am I? Miserable as fuck, posting on a goddamn videogame forum about it. Every time I try to make something, try to succeed, I'm met with fucking cliques and politics and egos and bullshit. There are so many people I know and admire who are doing what they want to do—and where am I?

FUck. I'm jut... I'm just so lucky I have Nancy. Otherwise, this would be it. Tonight would be it. I'd be done.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?!? I don't know you, man; still, that sounds like silly talk. You have talent and you're applying it to creative ends. Relying on other people's acceptance of what you're doing is a recipe for unhappiness.

I could get all therapist-esque and shit, I'll try and keep it short. I'm 30. I'm not doing what I want yet. It's not the end of the world. I mean, running into people who are younger than you who are years "ahead" sucks, I know this quite well. That's just how it shakes down. I'm not saying that you have to lay back and take it; to say that it's enough to make you take your life sounds like madness.

I guess, I would wonder why you're so miserable. What's sticking in your craw that makes you want to choke?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, here I am, more sober this time.

Thanks for the kind words, Scratch. I think I'm just frustrated at my inability to jump into what I really want to be doing. Also, the people who surround me currently make me less than happy; I just can't relate to them. And that the art/comic "community" is not that at all; it's a clique-hive with clear disdain for all outside its ranks.

I guess I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, but it's all uphill and my chances are slim. Arrrgh. I know this sounds like high school bullshit, but it just gets to me sometimes....
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude if you move to new york i can get you illustration work for like, 3 months at slave wages. maybe six if you have a handy mouth if you know what i mean.

if it makes you feel better i turn 30 this year and the weekly world news still doesn't return my phone calls.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an avatar like that, you should be freaking top dog by now!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not until i finish the condi animation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: