The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lestrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I will be!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might in fact download this and have a go. Might as well!

I tried last night, upon realizing that my TV has component inputs, to hook up the Xbox 360 this way. I got a B&W image; I'm having a hard time understanding why, and my trip throughout the intertron isn't helping. Does anyone have any advice?

Also, Ridge Racer is really a great, great game. I am having so much fun with it. I could play it for weeks on end and not be bored.

Oh yes! I managed to play Doom deathmatch online last night, though the bitches kept kicking me because I was whooping their ass big-time. I don't even know if I have any wins to my name, the pussies. In any case, we'll have to see if I can go a few rounds with one of you folks.

Tomorrow is the big Halo 2/DDR/Guitar Hero party at my place. It is going to rock! I'm very excited. Maybe I will post a photo of the apartment with the poster I made?

Finally, I downloaded and played the Dead Rising demo. I was sort of disappointed; it's fun, and I was LOLing the whole time because of all the ridiculous things you can do, but the demo really makes the game seem dull. Furthermore, the terrible lip syncing on the characters really irks me, as do the soft textures. It doesn't matter, though, because the game is basically unplayable on my SDTV, with the itty-bitty typography just mocking me, urging me to try and read it. Maybe I'll play this game next year, when I get an HDTV.

I really love downloading demos. Half the time I don't want to play a game for more than an hour or two anyway!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://img244.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wiiorderji7.png

Canda preorder info!

EDIT: Trade in special*: http://www.ebgames.com/gs/wii/eb_trades.asp

*canada only

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but I've decided I'm going to leave it to chance and try to get a system with my local retailer. I just hate giving anyone but them my money. They've been so good to me over the years.

Hey, does anyone (Shaper) wanna see if I can play Doom tonight? Just to see?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Hey, does anyone (Shaper) wanna see if I can play Doom tonight? Just to see?
Sure! We can chat then

If that fails you have RR6 right?

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHMYFUCKINGGOD, I'm in tech-support hell. My father's internet account has been fuxx0red for two weeks because the ISP (Bell Sympatico) can't get their shit together. Half the reason for my $120 bus ticket back home was to help my dad set up his internet account for him. Even now, the goddamn thing still doesn't work. I'm fucking spitting blood here. I have to call the fuckmasters tomorrow again to get shit worked out.

Further to that, as some of you may have noticed, Empty Words has been down for almost the same length of time, because the fucking CIRA and my registrar like to point back at each other and not give me any help. I've lost my username and password, and you'd think the fuckers would be able to help me out after several emails to this effect. I'm going to chew them out on the phone too for some of the worst—worst—online customer service I have ever seen.

Also, Mortal Kombat Armageddon unfortunately sucks. A lot.

And finally, the intro to FF12 sucks. A lot. It's like watching a Simpsons clip show. It's also just... poorly done. I don't really look forward to watching my wife slog through it.

P.S. Guitar Hero rocks, and I am the Halo master, for a weekend at least.

P.P.S. Fuck.

P.P.P.S. UFC, despite all protests to the contrary, is nothing more than two men in Speedos hugging each other on a bloody mat for 20 minutes, Every time.

EDIT: To clarify my MK statement: I'm severely disappointed by the game because:

a) Graphically and aurally, it's just a repackaging of Deception
b) There are text-only endings! I always love to see what happens next in the crazy, all-over-the-place MK universe, and I've always been a fan of satisfying, fighting-game endings, but this time around, the huge number of characters is a disadvantage. After seeing DOA4's endings, I'm spoiled! Thankfully, I can read all the endings and avoid all the work. I know that previous MK games had text-only endings, but they at least had some interesting artwork to go along with them.
c) The combat in Konquest mode is fun and fluid; the actual one-on-one fighting is not. Shaolin Monks was so damn good; why retrograde to the stiff-and-clunky Deception engine?
d) Loooooooooooaaaaaaaading times...

I know I'll keep playing, though I hope there's a master unlock code somewhere, because I just feel like noodling around with it, instead of really diving into it. The game is to Deception what Ultimate MK was to MK3.

Also: so spoiled by next-gen graphics. :-)

EDIT 2: AWESOME.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man. How much do I want to buy this!?

Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, does this mean there are Rumble Roses faceplates? Oh baby oh baby.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of faceplates, does anyone know where to get one of the Dead Rising ones? Play-Asia sold out of their in about 3 hours Sad

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man. Meesa... very sleepy. Got up early today so I could work at home, then come in tto work some more! Deadline time... Somebody, wake me up!

EDIT: What. Why haven't I heard of this?!

EDIT 2: Whoa, I just played the Super Famicom version of MKII. Green blood! Black-and-white fatalities! It's like Bizarro World!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and Giant PS3 Banner
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Spiderman is taking over Canda-land?

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In monochrome spaceships!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking while trying to play Street Fighter II HF' the other day: if only Microsoft (or a good third-party manufacturer) would provide an alternate controller that switiched the left analogue stick and d-pad, the result could be the best (traditional) controller of this generation. Though the stock Dual Shock is handily trumped by the much-more-comfortable, wireless Logitech pad, I can't argue with Sony's decision to leave the d-pad where it is all these years.

I can (and have) played games like Halo on a PS2 pad, and the different position of the left analague stick doesn't bother me a bit. In fact, I hardly notice it. But I certainly notice the difference in d-pad position when trying to play Street Fighter! God, it just feels so unnatural, it throws my entire game off.

So, yes: Logitech! Make a reversy, wireless 360 controller please!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked at a 360 controller closely (and still have yet to ever play a 360), but does it use the Xbox-style D-pad or something more traditional? I tried to play Street Fighter anniversary collection on an Xbox controller and just couldn't take it.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sort of in-between. It's feels a bit more wieldy than the Controller S pad but not as precise as, say, a Saturn pad. I don't really mind its shape; it's the position that really throws me.

- -

Cross-post from IC:

Sony's trying to fuck us again. From this story at Gaming Edge:

Those wondering about battery life will be happy to note the controller is expected to get about 30 hours of playtime out of one 2.5 hour charge. As the battery isn't replaceable, when it's no longer recharging the controller needs to be replaced or sent for repairs.

Yes. Thank you, Sony! What a fantastic idea! I know how long it takes for me to actually get a watch battery replaced, so I certainly am excited that in the middle of the night, if my PS3 controller dies, I have to take it to a service technician to replace the battery! Let me guess, it's a proprietary Sony Atrac™Blu-Ray™Betamax™ battery, that only officially licensed Sony stores will carry? Maybe I'll just throw out the entire controller, since (as Kaz Hirai states) it's just so damn cheap, and while it dies in a landfill I'll go buy another! More trash! More money!

This just gets better every day!
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
As the battery isn't replaceable, when it's no longer recharging the controller needs to be replaced or sent for repairs.[/i]

Well, to be fair the system does allow the controllers to be connected, used, and charged using USB cables, and there are four USB slots in the front of it. Also, if my experience with rechargable batteries is any sign, the batteries should last about as long as a standard dual shock's R1 button.

Does anyone know what kind of slots are on the $600 unit's Memory Card Reader?

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Do you mean on the unit itself or the PS2 memory card dongle? According to the US PS3 site, the Uber-Pack™ supports Memory Stick, SD and Compact Flash.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Do you mean on the unit itself or the PS2 memory card dongle? According to the US PS3 site, the Uber-Pack™ supports Memory Stick, SD and Compact Flash.

I mean, check this out. More specifically this:

You can see three slots, and I didn't really read them closely until now: CF, SD, and Memory Stick. I guess there's no PS2/PS1 memory card slot in there. Why the hell not? Who uses CF cards anyway?

Looks like you can Rip CDs in mp3, AAC, and ATRAC formats.

Seems they want you to use it as a hub for all of your handheld electronics instead of using your PC. Wonder if it'll be easy to upload songs to your iPod from a PS3...

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, how does this sort of thing work for the 360 or the Wii? They both have rechargable batteries in their controlers, right?
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Wii controller just used a pair of AAs. Which can be rechargeable, I suppose, but that's up to you.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off-subject, but not too much: And why in the world is Sony charing $49.99 per controller? They don't even shake!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried to hook my wife's iPod up to my Xbox 360 yet, so I don't know how it is. Sony isn't including a PS2/1 slot in the PS3 because... I guess because then they can charge you $15 US for that functionality?

I use CF cards in a (oldish) camera, but I would never put photos on a PS3 anyway. Who will? is what I want to know? Fuck's sakes! All I need is game box with good controllers and good online support. Forget the bullshit functions that I won't ever use.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a report going around that the PS1 emulation for your PSP will require you to download the games via PS3 then send them to your PSP.

Hahahahahahaha. If that is how things turn out then Sony must really not give a rat's ass about the consumer.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMK3 has really sold me on the idea of Achievements. Because of the arcade nature of the game, I love having these arbitrary goals to reach. Now I'm going to go back and start earning achievements in Street Fighter and Doom. Ironically, though I despise collecting in games, I find these achievements enthralling. Must... raise... gamerscore!
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just a tool of the machine.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
UMK3 has really sold me on the idea of Achievements. Because of the arcade nature of the game, I love having these arbitrary goals to reach. Now I'm going to go back and start earning achievements in Street Fighter and Doom. Ironically, though I despise collecting in games, I find these achievements enthralling. Must... raise... gamerscore!

HELL YES!

I love these things. I'm sort of competing with a guy from my work for the higher gamer score. We're within a few hundred points of each other at all times, but I've been racking them up the past few days so hopefully he won't catch up. I'm winning now by 44 points thanks to a short burst brought on by Lego Starwars 2 and Lumines. Woo!

-Wes
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
There is a report going around that the PS1 emulation for your PSP will require you to download the games via PS3 then send them to your PSP.

Hahahahahahaha. If that is how things turn out then Sony must really not give a rat's ass about the consumer.

It's not true:
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14163

Quote:
We have the PSP downloads site now, and you're right; these PS1 games will be available either from the PSP downloads site directly, so you don't need a PS3 to get them
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so addicted to UMK3 that I keep checking everyone's Gamerscore to make sure I'm at the top of the stack. This is usually pretty easy since, as Kumar put it, who else plays Mortal Kombat?

Currently at 52 ranked wins, 9 losses. Anytime someone picks cyborg Smoke I fucking SCHOOL them with the sort-of hidden Human Smoke as punishment, because I know they're going to use the same two moves ad nauseum. Not on my watch, bitches!!

I also have an obsessive need to destroy anyone who plays as Sub-Zero. The wife was laughing at me as I yelled at the TV last night, "No one plays Sub-Zero in my house!" You think you can slide 'n' freeze? Fuck no you can't! Watch this! (And then I pummel them.)

I have to unlock Classic Sub-Zero soon or I'm going to go mad. Perhaps it's too late; I'm having waaay too much fun with this.

Also! Nerd acquisition! I found a Zork novel the other day. I bought it. I am reading it. I will post a photo if anyone wants to see it.

P.S. UMK3 is the first game that really demonstrates the flaws of the perfect-seeming Xbox 360 controller. My god, I can't wait for a decent third-party wireless option with a good d-pad. I even got into a conversation over Live how the 360 controller is no match for a well-maintained SNES one. Hitting left or right should not cause me to jump, you imprecise piece of shit! I've missed so many Fatalities because of that little grey disc... :-(
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Also! Nerd acquisition! I found a Zork novel the other day. I bought it. I am reading it. I will post a photo if anyone wants to see it.

i want to see it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Lestrade wrote:

i want to see it!

Ditto!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

Zork Novel
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Zork choose-your-own-adventurish book kicking around here somewhere...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the first Zork COYA book! I bought it the other day after I found it by accident. It's even written by Steven Meretzky!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo 3. I'm frothing already. Can't wait to own Master Chief's head! (Though I would rather just have another beautiful metal case).
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Halo 3. I'm frothing already. Can't wait to own Master Chief's head! (Though I would rather just have another beautiful metal case).

I was just reading the thread on this at NeoGAF (with much better up-close scans). Looks pretty good so far, and I've been playing Halo 2 on the new TV on my 360 again so I'm starting to feel the froth as well.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It begins: blinkylights.ca
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I downloaded the Dashboard update this morning over tea and yoghurt. It looks a bit nicer, for sure. I... I ran out of things to say.

I'm going to try my component cables tonight and see if they give me a vastly superior image to S-Video.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't. I mean you will be able to notice a difference, but not "vastly" different.

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm finally starting to get excited again for the Wii (my Xbox 360 dulled the pain for quite a while). Oddly enough, what interests me the most about the system right now is the Virtual Console.

Yes, I really want to pay $280 (CAD) so I can play games I already own or have ROMs for. I really want to play the original versions of, say, Final Fantasy IV, Super Castlevania and, yes, the original Mario. I also want to play ports of arcade games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, and I want them all in one place.

Oddly enough, XBLA is what excites me the most about my Xbox, too. I mean, the game I've played the most on the thing is UMK3! So there's obviously a bit of a pattern here...

Now if only Rare would release their old catalogue on VC. I really want Killer Instinct and Perfect Dark...
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Intertubes:

So I'm 100% sure I'm going to fail the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) I've signed up for. I'm not even taking the hardest level, only level 3, but there's no way in hell I will pass. The cram class I signed up for is just too fucking difficult, considering that I have to try to force dozens of contextless vocabulary words into my head every week, which leaves me little time to study kanji, which was what I was doing before the course.

Why did I sign up? I should have known it would come down to this. I've never been a good student; I haven't set foot in a school in almost seven years! I'm not a youngin' no more, either, and I can't just absorb new information like a teenager can.

How am I supposed to learn hundreds of new, random words (that I may or may not use in the meantime) and another 200 kanji in a month?! It's fucking hopeless.

The shittiest part is, I've already paid for the class, and there are no refunds for the test fees. It's like walking onto a battlefield, knowing you're not going to come out alive. It's so futile.

I'm so goddamn frustrated, I'm getting more and more stressed out every day. I'm not in fucking college; I have a job, freelance work, and a wife. I can't just sit there all day and study. I can't spend my fucking weekends studying, because I barely see my wife during the week!

Fucking cocksucker fucking fuckfuck! What am I going to do!?

Frustratingly yours,
Lestrade
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chin up ol' boy. I know you'll gain something from all this. Even if you don't come off the field alive.

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example from my friend's JLPT Study Guide:

Word: [the deck of a boat]

Example sentence: I'm sure glad that I know what [the deck of a boat] means.
Fred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My good friend Alan, who just moved to Brooklyn and is trying to learn Japanese as his fifth (!) language, recommended this study guide to me on the advice of these Japanese girls on whom he is crushing. But now that I look at it more closely, it's probably even worse than yours; just forget I even mentioned the damn thing. It--like so many formalized Japanese learning programs--is just a sort of reverse of the eikaiwa system, isn't it? "You've learned some basic grammar, now spend ten hours a week with our young, attractive Japanese speaker learning new vocabulary by rote!" Fun.

Anyway, just look at this as a practice run for next year's exam. Standardized testing is a fundamentally imperfect means of evaluation, and you can learn quite a bit about how to prepare for next year's test and how to answer the questions just by sitting for the exam, even if you don't have the full knowledge needed to pass (or even comprehend) the exam. Or you can just draw a giant picture of a cock on the answer sheet. Either way, you'll gain something from it.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Or you can just draw a giant picture of a cock on the answer sheet. Either way, you'll gain something from it.

That would be so great.

•--- <==3
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally won an eBay auction! Woo-hoooooo!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you win?
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Fred wrote:
Or you can just draw a giant picture of a cock on the answer sheet. Either way, you'll gain something from it.

That would be so great.

•--- <==3

I'm more fond of the 8===D variety of ASCII genitalia, but I suppose it's all a matter of taste, so to speak.

Anyways, think of the JLPT like this: You take it, you see how you did, and you get a good idea for next time what you'll really have to study hardcore, and what you can get by with just brushing up on occasionally until the next exam.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's pretty much what I decided last night after throwing shit around my apartment and kicking things. My god. I need to play some Mortal Kombat.

How 'bout this:

X-O <==8
GSL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8===D X-O <==8 ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 5 of 20

Jump to: