The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 player co-op?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: 2 player co-op? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any games that are good to play with two players? even when they weren't meant to be two-player ie. How about Donkey Konga, where one person does the handclaps and the other does the bongos?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

namco's arrangement titles - galaga, dig-dug, xevious, pac-man - all have 2-player co-op.

i cannot overemphasize how fun 2-player dig-dug is.

most of these titles can be found in namco museum for the gamecube and ps2 (the original, not the 50th anniversary one).

and of course, bubble bobble is the best 2-player game ever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Hell yeah it is. Worth the price of admission to the Taito collections all on it's own.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled a The New Zealand Story banner when I posted that. It is a sign!
wourme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
namco's arrangement titles - galaga, dig-dug, xevious, pac-man - all have 2-player co-op.

i cannot overemphasize how fun 2-player dig-dug is.

most of these titles can be found in namco museum for the gamecube and ps2 (the original, not the 50th anniversary one).

I had no idea that the Namco museum games were cooperative. I'll have to get a copy right away.

dessgeega wrote:

If platform isn't an issue, then Parasol Stars is also excellent.

I also recommend Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for PS2 or XBOX. (I understand the GC version was poorly executed.) DA was my favorite cooperative game since Secret of Mana.
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's talking about games that aren't officially 2-player games, though.

I don't have any great suggestions off the top of my head, but I read an article in Edge recently about Phantasy Star Online on the DC. Apparently, it spawned a co-op culture where one player would play the game proper and a second player would use a keyboard and "speak" on the player's behalf. Which sounds like one of the most awesome ideas for a co-op mode ever.

Also, Donkey Konga would be so much better if one player was Left Bongo, one was Right Bongo, and you had to supply one hand each to do the handclaps.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Full Auto demo on the 360 had a bug where either the first or second controller could control the car. Using this bug, people were playing the game by having one player drive while the other shoots.

This feature was taken out of the retail version because it was unintentionally there in the first place and they didn't realize its potential until after they had taken it out.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of any games that were really not intentionally two players (except for Duck Hunt), but:

Double Dash isn't the most loved Mario Kart, though it was really fun finishing all of the regular races in co-op with Jeanine, taking turns with the driving/weapon duties. The game requires that both players to do certain techniques like powersliding simultaneously, which keeps even the weapon tosser on her/his toes.

Lode Runner 3D has an interesting co-op campaign (one that actually demands a great deal of cooperation), if you can get a hold of the game and have two networked PC's.

Also, if you're going to play Halo games, I would say co-op all the way.
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only play Halo in co-op mode.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got another one! A few weeks ago we had a bunch of people over for one of my friends' birthdays. A few of the guys looked in the corner, saw my Guitar Hero boxes and wanted to play so we busted it out. After a while the girls wanted in so we handed the guitars over and let them try. My girlfriend did pretty good but this one girl was just terrible. She couldn't understand the concept of buttons with one hand strumming with the other, so I ended up controlling her button hand for her in true co-op fashion. It was actually a lot more fun than you would think!

Another great unintentional co-op game is Gyromite. Fuck that robot, hand the button pushing over to a friend and you'll get a lot further.

-Wes
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When everyone comes home from college, Pac-Man Vs. is still played.

The sense of teamwork is forced in a good way. Of course, competition ensnarls people over fruit most often and it becomes more of a general multiplayer game. Still good fun.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The multiplayer in We <3 Katamari is pretty pointless. Just share the same controller.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Wolverine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit old thread but I wanted to say I always had fun playing Timesplitters (all three of them) in 2 player co op with a buddy even though I don't really like FPS games that much (the TS series is a rare exception).

Also been loving the hell out of X-Men Legends as well. Even though the game glitched and messed up one of our 15 hour saved games we didn't mind starting over and doing it all again better than before. I especially like how the ability to just take over a CPU controlled team member, play a bit, and then leave when yer done, givin control back to the CPU, works and reminds me of Secret of Mana on SNES.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunstar Heroes.

One time I played DDR with four other people on one pad (we each had one arrow). It was strange (but not as strange as when I played KoF with a DDR pad).
player 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverine wrote:

What's this from?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp

Last edited by player 2 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolverine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
http://darkarchermedia.houseofninzha.co.uk/temp/Mal_Walk.gif

What's this from?

That's from a game I'm developing for my first ever computer the Amstrad CPC (about 22 years old now).
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armored Core 2: Another Age, had a very interesting two player co-op mode that allowed the players to test their skils in five or so levels with rewards and everything. They never bothered to use the concept again. A shame really.

I've had a lot of fun with Rainbow Six 3 and friends. Resident Evil DS was a lot of fun with it's mutli-player co-op mode. A lot of fun.

Also, the king of them all FINAL FIGHT.

Edit for: Jackal. Plain and simple.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Gunstar Heroes.

One time I played DDR with four other people on one pad (we each had one arrow). It was strange.

I tried that once with three other friends. We almost beat Max 300 on Heavy, too.
And you totally stole my Gunstar Heroes mention!

If we're not specifically looking at games meant to be played with two players (or containing a two-player mode), I have to mention Super Mario World. Yes, it has 2P mode, but I lent my second SNES controller out to a friend and have yet to get it back. In the interim, myself and a pair of friends have turned SMW into a THREE- (!) player game, basically by just passing on the controller when a level is cleared or a life lost. The game's huge enough that this can go on for some time, especially considering my anal-retentive desire to open every secret level. It's not co-op in the least, but it IS a fun new multiplayer take on an old classic.

As far as co-op goes, did you know that a player can use controller 1 to move the ducks in Duck Hunt?

Last edited by GSL on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
As far as co-op goes, did you know that a player can use controller 1 to move the ducks in Duck Hunt?

this is how we used to play the game.

it was great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that qualifies as competative though.

Me and my friends used to play Worms by trying to build little underground cities with blowtorches and jackhammers. The goal was to try and avoid killing the other team's players while still clearing as much land as possible.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:

Me and my friends used to play Worms by trying to build little underground cities with blowtorches and jackhammers. The goal was to try and avoid killing the other team's players while still clearing as much land as possible.

I did the same exact thing. It always ended up in as a bloody struggle for land that soon turned violent. Much like a real life scenario! It was fun while it lasted though.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic 2 is the best game in the world to play with someone who can't play games (my younger sister for example). They can run around with tails and have fun and not be harmful at all while you play the game right.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:

No way. The second player is there to help get the first player to the highest level possible.

-seryogin
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgotten Worlds' two player is megafun since you can power each other up by connecting your genital beams.

LJ -- Profile
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as true in life as it is in art.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends of mine were playing "Treadmill of Loathing".... him treading on a treadmill in front of their big video projector screen (I copied them, btw; having a video projector is a great reasonably priced (relatively speaking) and very portable alternative to a TV) , directing her clickage on "Kingdom of Loathing", the laptop wired to the projector. They played his game, but she was ahead of him w/ her own charater so she could offer advice.

Weirdly romantic I thought.

Oh, and not it's an example of "wasn't meant to be 2 player" (though that isn't a stringent requirement of the original poster) but SNES Donkey Kong Country is one of the friendlier games to team up w/ an enthusiastic non-gamer with... the tagteam style lets the experience person get through the tough stuff, and it's pretty enough that the other player usually doesn't feel too neglected.
Fred

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man. Growing up, I seem to recall wasting a lot of time during those long, inhospitable South Dakota winters with a buddy doing tricks in Super Mario Kart. We would roll onto the grassy battle field, then use the mushroom and feather together to try to get onto the outlying islands that were supposed to be inaccessible. Good times.

When the PSX came out, we extended this concept to Need for Speed 2 by unlocking the secret log car and seeing how many times we could get it to flip end over end by crashing it into the McLaren F1 at 225 mph. Juvenile and sophomoric? Definitely. But still, it was more fun than certain other launch titles.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CURRY HOUSE! CURRY HOUSE! CURRY HOUSE!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
Oh man. Growing up, I seem to recall wasting a lot of time during those long, inhospitable South Dakota winters with a buddy doing tricks in Super Mario Kart. We would roll onto the grassy battle field, then use the mushroom and feather together to try to get onto the outlying islands that were supposed to be inaccessible. Good times.

When the PSX came out, we extended this concept to Need for Speed 2 by unlocking the secret log car and seeing how many times we could get it to flip end over end by crashing it into the McLaren F1 at 225 mph. Juvenile and sophomoric? Definitely. But still, it was more fun than certain other launch titles.

Need for Speed 2's secret cars were pretty fun to experiment with back in the day. Wasn't there a drivable dinosaur car?
yuhana

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to dredge the archives and make use of some open-source interpreters, Marathon Infinity had some pretty decent co-op play. And unlike, say, Perfect Dark Zero, there was actually a point to playing co-op as certain levels could only be accessed with someone else's help.

(Plus it's nice to have a second brain on hand to help you unravel the game's plot.)
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, if you want some real co-op fun, try the water maze in the C64 version of Marble Madness.

-seryogin
Fred

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Need for Speed 2's secret cars were pretty fun to experiment with back in the day. Wasn't there a drivable dinosaur car?
I had to look it up, but I guess there was. I don't think we ever got that one, though. We just boosted the codes out of a copy of GamePro, which only had half the codes, and guessed as many as we could. We had the outhouse cheat, though, and the box, and the three newsstands that were identical except for their color and one which went much faster than the others. Green paint is very aerodynamic, it turns out.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:
I had to look it up, but I guess there was. I don't think we ever got that one, though. We just boosted the codes out of a copy of GamePro, which only had half the codes, and guessed as many as we could. We had the outhouse cheat, though, and the box, and the three newsstands that were identical except for their color and one which went much faster than the others. Green paint is very aerodynamic, it turns out.

I had totally forgotten about those newstands. I wish EA was still that creative.
GilloD

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a special Halo mode called "Gentleman's Duel", wherein you'd stand at opposite ends of a map (The one with the 2 bases and the Cliff sniping spot and, uh, the teleporters and the, crap, I just described every Halo map. Something Gulch? was great), grab rockets and attempt to rocket-snipe at 1000000 feet. It's called "Gentleman's" duel because it was based around a verbal agreement that neither of you would move once the rocket was fired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: