The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

free games: way better than smack.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xvs07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: free games: way better than smack. Reply with quote

I miss TIGSource, and am having that awful feeling again where I feel like I've played it all, freeware-wise (I'm poor, so that's the option). If people are interested, I'd like to get a topic going where we put forth our favorite free games, the more obscure the better, as fewer of us will have played them. I'll go first.

Drainstorm opens like this:

"IN THE MURKY CHAMBERS beneath your shower drain, an army of gruesome invaders is mobilizing. Their evil plan: to take over the shower, then the whole bathroom, then the ENTIRE GALAXY.

Only you can stop them. Fortunately you have help in the form of a sophisticated and powerful drain probe .... the Effer-vessel."

Honestly, I could give you adjectives, but I really think this is one of those creations that can stand purely on its whimsy and tight code. Just give it a play. It's a tiny download.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drain storm is a wonderful game. it's sort of what i'd imagine a roguelike of an fps to be like (doom: the roguelike doesn't count). it's sad it hasn't been updated in years though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this thread doing down here? There's so much subject matter to discuss.

I have to recommend Lyle in Cube Sector. It's pretty much like a somewhat more western and somewhat less charming version of Cave Story. The actual action in the game is deeply satisfying, and I love exploring every inch of it. It's also the first time I've felt compelled to make a screenshot map of a game (even if I haven't finished it).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
It's also the first time I've felt compelled to make a screenshot map of a game (even if I haven't finished it).

i would love to see this, even if i don't find cube sector terribly exciting. i am obsessed with maps*. i actually have a full screenshot map of a game i havn't even released yet, which i keep constantly updated.

* see the gamer's quarter issue 5.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it much more exciting after I got the double jump. That greatly increases your movement options.
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost gave up on Cube Sector due to poor joystick support and the fact that jumping on top of a cube which is moving damages you, because I'm a crotchety bastard. I'm glad I didn't, it gets immensely better the more you play, but now I'm rather stuck at very nearly the end and walkthroughs don't exist. Anyone finished it?

In the meantime, how about Acwabatiacs? "Control a centipede with a bear tethered to its rear, avoiding hazardous objects and swinging your bear-butt around to chomp on frolicking sheep. No, seriously, that's the premise of the game. Online high scores are included, of course."

Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished it a couple times. What do you need to know?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XOP became free recently.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's too bad that game is so bland.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the music in "The Gray World," though. And the Gray World itself. It's almost like it recognizes that it's bland.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been meaning to contribute to this thread for a while now. Possibly most of you already know these games, but what the hell:

5 Days a Stranger: An effective fan-made graphic adventure. A slow-paced, but somewhat entrancing while it lasts horror title. The lead character, Trilby, is one of my fav adventure game characters.
Then you have its sequel, in space, 7 Days a Skeptic.
No-Action Jackson: A fan-made graphic adventure following the LucasArts style. You play the role of an RPG nerd who has to find his friends for thrilling dungeon-looting adventures.
Keptosh: Fan game taking place in a dystopian, drug-addled future. People get high, literally, on information and electric power. Which is why it's a slight problem when their "junc" fix is no longer available. I love the low-tech style of this one, coupled with the great low-key ambient music. Short, but worth a look.
Maniac Mansion Deluxe: A fan update for the adventure game classic (Linking to Abandonia because their official website is down).

P.S. Play Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Outside of adventure games:
Warning Forever: A good old scrolling shooter focusing entirely on boss battles. Love the style, and there are a variety of different modes of play to enjoy.
Sky Puppy: A.K.A. The Magical Press Spacebar Exodus.
That Cloud Game: I'd rather not give info on this one. It's just incredibly soothing.
Wings of Fury Remake: Title says it all. Great action game updated.

Last edited by Dracko on Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there an official Flashback/OoTW sequel for the GBA that got put up on the internet for download because they could not liscense it or something? I remember this, but can't find any info. I was just playing OoTW last night and it still looks wonderful on the Genesis today.

Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they were indeed working on a Flashback sequel, but that got cancelled for some reason. Don't know the details.

Someone is also working on Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire graphic adventure.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidlarkin wrote:
In the meantime, how about Acwabatiacs? "Control a centipede with a bear tethered to its rear, avoiding hazardous objects and swinging your bear-butt around to chomp on frolicking sheep. No, seriously, that's the premise of the game. Online high scores are included, of course."

Cool Moose is pretty great. See also, RunMan's Monster Fracas which provides a much better excuse for the Rightwards-Ever-Onward convention than Mario ever did.
a_plus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some interesting stuff at http://iterationgames.com/.

it's got a lot of unpolished, unfinished stuff and a lot of these play like a sketch of game, but what's there is very stylish and intriguing. the sound design on all of them is so wonderful!
100 invaders, especially, interests me.

edit: typo typo typo

Last edited by a_plus on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/63

Mario Adventure is a ROM hack of Super Mario Bros. 3. It no longer feels like SMB3 at all, though. It's a new game altogether, and you can tell tons of work went into this. It's considerably harder, so I wouldn't be shy about using save states, even though you have infinite lives.
a_plus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, gosh, i don't know how i forgot to mention mario adventure! my girlfriend and i have been playing it a lot over the past week or so -- world 7 in it, desert dares, is totally perfect. it's like mario 3 meets wario ware meets.. i dunno, gradius? i love it.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very recently, the second episode of the Half-Life 2 mod, Minerva, was released. It is just as good, if not better, than the first one. It's smart, sinister, well-written and subtly story driven. The beauty of this being it doesn't add anything in particular to the game, using only the basics. There is a great deal of devotion seemingly put into the level design and it honestly pays off. It sucks you in with its mystery and build. Somewhat reminds me of the System Shock series, in a way. Combat is involved, but not heavily. It is also quite small in size. If there's one Half-Life 2 single player mod to check out, it is this one.

And I agree, World 7 is pretty much perfect, if not sometimes head-racking.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for 5 days and 7 days. Although I never beat the latter, they are a testament to quality AGM games.

Can I do a quick cop-out? Mnyah. It's actually a fairly interesting list.

I'm still dying to make my machine not shit so I can fully experience Half-Life 2's mod community.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flow is really amazing. It was the perfect thing to ease me on possibly the shittiest work day in a while.

NOTE: The site likes to have errors for some unknown reason. If it gives you an error, just try again in a bit.

xvs07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. I have yet to play Cloud, but it impressed me, and Flow is probably the most attractive flash game I've played. It could be fantastic on the DS with little change.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the game is called Noitu Love and the Army of the Grinning Darns.

at insert credit i wrote:
Beat'em'up/Megaman/Retro whatever. It's a Klik game, and it's good. Please enjoy.

http://www.konjak.org/noitu.htm

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flow is amazing. Reminds me of Evo, except better. Really quite relaxing. Noiyu Love is amusing too.

I've known of these for ages, but only now remember their URLs:

Die Anstalt: It's a German game, wherein you play a therapist for plush toys.
99 Rooms: I may have mentioned this one before, damn my memory, but it's just so great, it has to be seen to be believed. Probably doesn't qualify as a game, though.

Finally: Gook dog's sushi brain has spilled onto the forest soil and is at risk of being devoured by carrion radioactive birds! Help gook dog save his precious thought center as a Spice Girls sample loops badly!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noiyu love is charming but easy. and it crashed on me during stage 4. boo!

die anstalt is excellent. the hippo's dreams are pretty genuinely terrifying.

i don't think i've ever avoided letting gook's friends down. it saddens me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Kenta Cho games for the win.

I'm an rRootage junkie.

LJ -- Profile
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could at least post a link. Not that anyone here doesn't know how to use Google.

And I agree. I need to repopulate my Kenta Cho folder.

Plus: Isn't simultaneous posting rad?
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded Noitu Love. It looks pretty interesting, but I can't play it until I get home because if I install anything at school it's instant in-school suspension (a friend of mine got 3 days last year just for playing Counter-Strike in a computer lab). I'm going to check out these Kenta Cho games too...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of which, val & rick is excellent. that being a kenta cho prototype ("chototype") created as an example game for a development message board, and using a similiar engine to gunroar and xevious/star soldiery sprites.

it's not quite perfect but it's pretty excellent. gunroar is my favorite kenta cho game so far. note that "wok" is a pretty fantastic non-shooter from aba games that is totally worth playing too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noitu Love is pretty good, if a little spare. I think the big reason the limited, simple enemies thing worked so well in Astro Boy is there were tons of them, in different sizes, and they had the whole ricochet thing going. In Noitu combat is more limited with more space to move, and then it combines with the whole transformation thing and it's a bit of a mess. But it's free and homemade and the music's great and I'm not complaining, just criticizing.

I'm hoping for a second release where I don't have to set controls back to the gamepad every level.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a lot of Kenta Cho's Mu-Cade. It works really well with a PS2 Dual Shock controller. My record so far is a little under 6 minutes.

As for Noitu Love, I'm on the fourth level. I'm really enjoying the game and having to set the joysticks each level isn't really bothering me as much as I thought would. Everything about it reminds me of Treasure titles.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been playing a lot of Kenta Cho's Mu-Cade.

Me too! No controller though, I'm all cursor keys. My longest time is 4 minutes or so.

I love wrapping myself around a bunch of blocks and turning into a huge combo-bonusing fortress.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gamepad helps. Especially one with two joysticks on it.

The version I downloaded has special options just for the wired Xbox 360 controller. I may consider picking one up when I have the funds now, especially since Microsoft finally released one with built-in PC drivers so you don't have to use 3rd party ones.

Gah, I'm so addicted to Mu-Cade. My goal is to be able to last 10 minutes and be able to call that a bad game.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunroar. GUNROAR. That's definitely been on the top of my list. It's twin sticks mode is incredible at times. Definitely good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunroar is my favorite kenta cho game to date. partly for the random stages, partly for the river raid homage. mostly because it's awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i havn't played it yet, but yes please on a bicycle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SInce Gunroar has a twin sticks mode I will be downloading that for sure. I'm a sucker for any kind of dual joystick game.

I wish someone would do a great freeware version of Crazy Climber...
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
gunroar is my favorite kenta cho game to date. partly for the random stages, partly for the river raid homage. mostly because it's awesome.

I think it does out rightly beat out the rest of his body of work. NOIZ and Rrootage were the paramount for a while there, but Gunroar just takes the cake. I can;t get over the music, something about it feels more compeeling then the rest of his techno adrenaline fests.

OtakupunkX wrote:
SInce Gunroar has a twin sticks mode I will be downloading that for sure. I'm a sucker for any kind of dual joystick game.

I wish someone would do a great freeware version of Crazy Climber...

Who isn't a sucker for dual joysticks?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like A7xpG or whatever it's called. It has a very straightforward method of play that gets very intense very fast.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did someone want a mecha remake of baraduke for the gameboy advance?

cause i've got you covered.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing the hell out of DryMouth for the GBC recently. I don't know if there are better battle picross-type games out there, but this one's kept my interest even though I'm getting a lot of the same puzzles over and over again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I've been playing the hell out of DryMouth for the GBC recently. I don't know if there are better battle picross-type games out there, but this one's kept my interest even though I'm getting a lot of the same puzzles over and over again.

DryMouth seems to have an interesting back story

Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The creator of 5 Days a Stranger has come up with a new horror title, 1213. It uses the AGS engine just like his other games, but it's an action-adventure game instead, like a darker Flashback. It starts off fairly standard, but I've only played the first episode so far so it's hard to determine if the plot is going anywhere interesting. It's well written, though.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't find it that impressive, beyond as a technical feat. i didn't like 5 days that much either, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few things make me happier than when keen freeware garnering enough attention to merit retail versions:

"American PSPs will also get Every Extend Extra, which was previously only scheduled for release in Japan. The game is a unique blend of shooting and music, featuring Mizuguchi's trademark psychedelic graphics."

Granted, they're *idiots* for going with the PSP; it's the kind of game that benefits greatly from analog control.

The full article and the original game for those who haven't seen it. (Snap it up, folks, 'cause this is some tasty freeware.)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:
Granted, they're *idiots* for going with the PSP; it's the kind of game that benefits greatly from analog control.

i'm really saddened by this, as the new screens look lovely. and the whole project is a wonderful endevour.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:
it's the kind of game that benefits greatly from analog control.

Uhh, you do know that the psp has an analog controller, right? It's not perfect, but it's there.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:

Not really from a business perspective. From a "I wish I could play it but don't want a PSP because it is not worth it in any way at all" perspective they are idiots... but I have a PSP.

And Wes, I would put the PSPs analogue nub in the catagory of "worst method of control ever, yes worse than that"

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
xvs07 wrote:

Not really from a business perspective. From a "I wish I could play it but don't want a PSP because it is not worth it in any way at all" perspective they are idiots... but I have a PSP.

And Wes, I would put the PSPs analogue nub in the catagory of "worst method of control ever, yes worse than that"

Power Glove > PSP Analog "Stick".
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
Power Glove > PSP Analog "Stick".

Power Glove > U-Force > PSP Nub

SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

And you're basing this on your experience with which game? I'm not saying it's as good as it should be, but I really don't think it's that bad after playing the Syphon Filter demo and Daxter. It works well for some games.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: