The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

free games: way better than smack.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got no problem with the PSP's analog either... I do however, dislike the DS's stylus (and the darn tiny buttons on the main unit but that's another matter), and really get annoyed when a game seems to just force usage of that and the touchscreen into a game that really didn't need it at all.... Castlevania being the one that annoys me most as I love the game but hate the stylus bits...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
And you're basing this on your experience with which game?

Mainly Lumines and Ridge Racer(s). But those are just what made me build my opinion, almost every other game I have played has helped solidify it.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just played the first episode of 1213. It's good! I'm definately going to play the other two.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
And you're basing this on your experience with which game?

Mainly Lumines and Ridge Racer(s). But those are just what made me build my opinion, almost every other game I have played has helped solidify it.

So you're basing it on two games that are primarily digital games? That seems kind of stange. Actually, you could walk away from Mario 64 DS and Ridge Racer DS thinking the touch screen is a horrible idea. The PSP's analog stick works well for 360 degree motion (what every extend would need btw), but not so well for detecting variable amounts of depression. The 360 degrees of motion is much more important in my opinion. How often did you need to walk in Mario 64? Twice? Three times? I'm not saying the PSP's nub is the best solution, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. It's a much better alternative to an actual analog stick than the DS's touch screen and some people seem happy with that...

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
So you're basing it on two games that are primarily digital games? That seems kind of stange. Actually, you could walk away from Mario 64 DS and Ridge Racer DS thinking the touch screen is a horrible idea. The PSP's analog stick works well for 360 degree motion (what every extend would need btw), but not so well for detecting variable amounts of depression. The 360 degrees of motion is much more important in my opinion.

The thumb as analogue touch screen control IS terrible. The PSP is still worse. And Ridge Racer is not primarily a digital game. And every other game I have attempted to use it on has been terrible as well. It literally hurts my thumb to use it for prolonged peroids of time. The only game that I find uses it decently is Exit.

simplicio

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two interesting ones in the past few days: Reflections Haiki, which is a lot of bullet hell and a little bit of... something else. Every Extend maybe? I really appreciate games that are totally self-determined like this.

And the Sky Full of Stars is one of those projects which relies on some nebulous environmental feeling (Tim W. says Katamari and Ico on the indygamer blog; I'm gonna add Seiklus [and perhaps Missile Command and maybe even some Out of This World]).

Neither of these are polished really, though Sky is probably more consistent than Reflection on the whole. But they're interesting ideas and I like them.

These were brought to my attention by the2bears and indygamer respectively; the only other source I check regularly (since tigsource went down anyway) is gamesetwatch. Are there any other good (and regularly updated) indie sites you folks know of?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim's site is about as close to tigsource as you can get, since he used to post on tigsource. he also may be stalking me. he updated his site about jaywalker's release before i could update my livejournal about it. not that i mind the exposure!

tigsource is supposed to be back online, by the way. it's not, of course, and i don't know why, because derek never tells the rest of us anything. consider that an official status report, i guess.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

within a deep forest.

i was admittedly sold by the name, but this game is pretty fantastic (even if it does have a mine cart stage). it has the perfect videogame mood.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Façade been mentioned yet?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two online only (and therefore vulnerable I'd say unless theres a way to download them I missed) and rather commercial strategic games, the best bits of theoretical Adware I've seen...:

Lego commisioned indy developer gamelab to make some games...

Junkbot is a not TOO difficult puzzle game that's the only Lego theme game I've seen where the traditional lego task of building is front and center. There's additional challenge in doing each level in a minimal # of moves, which is a target goal shown on the right. There's a sequel as well, Junkbot Undercover

Spybotics: the Nightfall Incident has a tie-in that's a lot less direct than with Junkbot. At it's core, it's a serious of puzzle-y battles... it has a warrior collection element ala Pokemon, but the turn based battles have a grid-based physicality to them ala Intellivisions SNAFU / Tron Lightcycles. Plus, they had a lot of fun w/ graphics design, assigning each battle node to various companies, each with a unique logo. The game is slightly glitchy from time to time, but still rewarding. I wrote what I think is the only FAQ/walkthru for this game, half to try to get it a shred more publicity, half because I was interested in cataloging all of its various computer program warriors and levels.

It's a damn shame most comissioned games are dorky little side scroller bits of ephemera.... it would be nice if gmlb's "third way" caught on more, with deep and unique polished games like these being sponsored by larger companies. I have no idea if its effective as advertising, but I"m grateful Lego gave it a try.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Goutte. A French project wherein you take on the role of a water droplet.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A remake of the arcade classic Vigilante.

Within a Deep Forest was a very rewarding experience, and the bonus games were equally as clever and well thought out than the main one.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromatron. One is free; three are cheap.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamma Bros. is about the most dangerous commute ever made through space, and it is made everyday!

The reason I even played it was because the game toted this quote: "akin to galaga, gradius, robotron, etc" and I was like: This is going to be terrible because every time people just list random shooters like this they never know what they are doing in games. I must say that I was pleasantly supprised! Not only does it include all these as well, but it pulls them all off well. Also, really excellent chunky animation and style for a shock/flash game. I will donate some money to them when I get a response to my email about a soundtrack! (I want the soundtrack in mp3 form. Someone really knew what they were doing when they made it.).

dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
The reason I even played it was because the game toted this quote: "akin to galaga, gradius, robotron, etc"

when i wrote the game up on tigsource i totally described it as "robotron versus galaga". i feel like there's more defender influence than gradius, actually!

Shapermc wrote:
(I want the soundtrack in mp3 form. Someone really knew what they were doing when they made it.).

finish the game!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Hell.

It's like all the lessons of retro arcade schmup gaming in one, awesome, simple, ambient and intense package.
macdonaldez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else for more shmupping? (sp? shmuppage? shmuppery? shmuppet show?)

http://temp.macdock.com/charliesgames/page11/page11.html

ok, so not really free, but you can get a demo...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macdonaldez wrote:
http://temp.macdock.com/charliesgames/page11/page11.html

i got a free review copy of this.

it'd be a really good game if it actually worked with my dual stick controller.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there's a point- i don't know if many other games have done this, but i only noticed it recently when playing gunroar: due to my only having a digital gamepad (for my ibook- yes! i'm a mac gamer), i can't avail of the twin sticks mode. When playing normally, and having to release the trigger and change direction to adjust my angle of fire, the ship continues to release bullet death for a short time after the trigger is released- this seems to be a neat (although not as perfect as two sticks) workaround. Is it seen in any other games?

anyway, back to the freeness:

http://www.studiotrophis.com/wc.php
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A remake of the Commodore 64 game Bruce Lee

And another one: Adventure.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamma Bros is really really special. The ending is precious. In fact, the whole end game is. Actually the whole arc of the game is really well done.

And I love Adventure. It's one of the only Atari 2600 games I feel really in love with. Maybe it's just the idea of emergent gameplay on such an early console. Weird stuff that happens like sitting in the dragon's belly while a bat flies around with it. Stuff the developers probably didn't even predict.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sequel to 5 Days a Stranger, Trilby's Notes follows the same lead character, cat burglar Trilby, now paranormal investigator, leaving to a Welsh island where he fears old ghosts have returned anew.

It's more professional than his previous games, it shows he's learning, and it's good to see a favourite character of mine back. The game now uses a text parser, which works surprisisingly well.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised this thread isn't more lively.

Vertigo Gaming have released Ac!dbomb, a Metal Gear Ac!d inspired bomb-defusal puzzle game, so I can pretend that I feel guilty about waiting for Defcon.

I'd rather not say a word about Illegal Communications, save that's it frustrating, but eerie and definitely freakishly rewarding once you reach the end. Just make sure you're comfortable with your mouse sensitivity.

Finally, possibly the best use of Flash as an adventure game platform ever. And in this cute little gadget, help a giraffe reach the stars!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Vertigo Gaming have released Ac!dbomb, a Metal Gear Ac!d inspired bomb-defusal puzzle game, so I can pretend that I feel guilty about waiting for Defcon.

i've been playing acidbomb. i really want to like it, but the tutorial (i havn't played metal gear acid, where the game apparently originates) is stupidly inadequate. i'm always getting into situations where i can see which of two spaces should contain the bomb and which shouldn't. i could just guess/restart my way through each stage, but why bother?

i got too frustrated with illegal communication's controls to get very far in it.

i have been playing noboyuki forces 3, which is a fairly clever kind of flash-based time crisis. i said on another forum that it's pretty rare for me to find a female protagonist in a japanese videogame sexy. i've been dressing her up like beat takeshi and putting holes in soldiers. i one-credited the game on hard last night and i'm going to get into very hard mode soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'm always getting into situations where i can see which of two spaces should contain the bomb and which shouldn't. i could just guess/restart my way through each stage, but why bother?

The best cheat code for that game is maths. You take a horizontal count and the vertical one. If the point where they meet adds up, then the piston isn't there.

dessgeega wrote:
i got too frustrated with illegal communication's controls to get very far in it.

Dare I say it: It's worth it. It was a very angering experience for me too, but the way your avatar evolves as you progress is fairly clever and the last boss has to be seen to be believed.

dessgeega wrote:
i have been playing noboyuki forces 3, which is a fairly clever kind of flash-based time crisis. i said on another forum that it's pretty rare for me to find a female protagonist in a japanese videogame sexy. i've been dressing her up like beat takeshi and putting holes in soldiers. i one-credited the game on hard last night and i'm going to get into very hard mode soon.

I just remembered playing this last night. Very competently made, somewhat generic, but it does have a feel of its own. I enjoyed it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I just remembered playing this last night. Very competently made, somewhat generic, but it does have a feel of its own. I enjoyed it.

what you call generic i call straightforward! i like that there are no flamboyant wolverine-claw ninjas speed-hopping around a train of explosives delivering ridiculous taunts. i like it a lot, in fact.

i just one-credited the game on very hard mode, earning me my sixteenth title (specialist) and a very nice "accessory".

also chasm's been around for a while but it's still probably the best flash adventure game i've played. samorost 2 has its own charm, though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't mean it was generic in a poor way. It's certainly clever in its simplicity.

But can you solve the mystery behind The Maze?
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.schadenfreudeinteractive.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maze is good stuff, Dess actually pointed me to it on another board when I asked about that weird book I'd seen when I was a child.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, I pulled my usual routine of trying to do the Maze after midnight, which previously had led to me duplicating a couple rooms in my diagram and brutally screwing me up and tonight led me to creating a seemingly-perfect map where I'd covered every possible path, only there are 4 rooms that seemingly don't appear at all, meaning that I made a mistake somewhere, only I have no idea where.

(Either that or there's a trick which is completely escaping my befuddled brain, which would be weird because the structure seems to be something that you could totally brute force.)

And I can't go look up the answer because it would run the "fun". Arrrrrrrgh.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Um. Yeah.

Won't spoil it for anybody else, I got the basic "goal" though.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jayisgames.com/

Apparently, this fellow ran a competition for flash puzzle games. These games are playable via links from this site...something like 20+ of them, so at least a few are probably worth tinkering with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Well. Um. Yeah.

Won't spoil it for anybody else, I got the basic "goal" though.

I saw this, thought it looked fascinating, and on my first Google search for 'Christopher Manson Maze' the solution popped up. Readable in its entirity on the search results page.

fuck.

I think I know what I'm buying my Dad for christmas, though.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys heard of Masquerade?

'Like a lot of kids who grew up in the late 70's/early 80's, I was absolutely enthralled with a picture book called Masquerade. The book, written and illustrated by Kit Williams, could be read as a standard child's fable about the moon falling in love with the sun, but it was designed as a real-world treasure hunt: Follow the subtle clues dropped throughout the book, and you'd discover the location of a very real hand-made jewel buried somewhere in England, valued at the time at $5,000. My father brought the book home one day as a gift and I was hooked. I was sure I would be able to solve the riddle.'

The book was a minor cult in its time. Some locations got wrongly dug up so much the local councils had to erect signposts confirming it was not the location of the Masquerade treasure. Once you read the solution, you can appreciate how clever it is, but I don't know if anyone ever really worked it out. The treasure was actually found by a man who just asked Kit Williams' girlfriend where it was.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it this was mainly an American thing? It sounds interesting. Might be the sort of book I'd go for if I found it.

Haven't found much of note as of late, save this Flash-based games site: http://www.vectorpark.com/
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mainly an English thing, but Masquerade fever was far-reaching. A woman from Germany sold her house to come and live in England, just so she could hunt the treasure.

100th POST WHOO
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might wish to check out planetarium.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you guys caught this the first time it came out a couple years ago, but here's The Spirit Engine. Mark's a really talented guy, and I respect a lot of his work. His graphics are unbelievably good, and he's working pretty hard on TSE2. Go check out the original and then check out the work he's doing on the sequel. Kthx guys

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
It was mainly an English thing, but Masquerade fever was far-reaching. A woman from Germany sold her house to come and live in England, just so she could hunt the treasure.

Then it's definitely something I'll have to check out.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dot fighters is the funniest and most fabulous game i've played in a long time. the final boss is amazing.

download mirrors here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried downloading the third version, but my download keeps cutting off and I end up with a 2 meg installation file.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you like IF, becuase the 12th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition has released the sumitted games to the public.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so out of the ifcomp games i've played so far, legion and delightful wallpaper have been the most interesting.

the former has easily the best premise of any if i've played in a while, with a number of different endings, none of which is designated the "right" one. towards the beginning puzzles hinge on making sense of the protagonist's (protagonists') narration, though towards the end the game . . . changes.

the latter game is similiar in this regard, with the first and second halves being distinctly different games (the walkthrough will let you skip the first if it frustrates you). the first half is a clever puzzle, but the kind that would be much easier to solve were it not in text form. the second is probably not as tight as it could be, but is pretty fabulous.

and floatpoint has some amazing worldbuilding, though i havn't finished it yet. i'm sure i've played for over two hours already, too.

(spoiler colors because people who intend to act as judges are asked not to discuss the entries until the judging period has finished. i think the competition is a bad idea, of course, so i have no qualms talking about them.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
(spoiler colors because people who intend to act as judges are asked not to discuss the entries until the judging period has finished. i think the competition is a bad idea, of course, so i have no qualms talking about them.)

I think it's a better idea to split this into a separate spoiler-warned thread if you're planning to do this. Otherwise, there's always the possibility of browser conflicts (or the automatic quote feature) revealing the text to the unwary.

Also, my record on Red is <strike>467</strike> 535 seconds.
Lackey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: talking about Half-Life 2 mods.

Dracko: I played Minerva. It's a fine piece of work. I'm impressed that one person can make a mod with a level of quality that matches Valve; especially using all resources which were already in the game. He nails the "delve deeper" theme too, which makes it worthwhile. I wish the thing were finished! I think it will have a lot more punch when it doesn't end with a "tune in next week" sort of message.

I really love Mistake of Pythagoras though. The last stage alone is worth the whole rest of it. I flipped when I recognized the architectural reference to Claude-Nicholas Ledoux. I mean really; A and B; it's adorable.

dhex: what can you tell me about Coastline to Atmosphere? I've been playing it for a while now and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. There's a lot of the game telling you what arbitrary thing you need to do like "go find a keycard now."
wourme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Out of This World and homebrew games, you might like Between Heaven and Hell.

player 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=5308

It's a Fusion game again. It's made by a South American dude named Miguel Perez. He calls his company Konamig. And his game is called Double Dragon II: Fists of Rage. If that isn't a fucking awesome pedigree, I don't know what is. Try the game out, it's not bad.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seperate dimension is a pretty swell thrust-like search-and-destroy game. it's controlled entirely by the mouse! moving aims (mouse over enemies to lock onto them for homing shots), right button fires, left button thrusts, mouse wheel selects weapons, and middle button pauses. finally, a thrust-style game that i can actually control! (sorry, solar jetman.)

also you can convert all the in-game text to english via the options screen. also, replays.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting blank squares instead of sprites, so it's hard to tell what I'm doing. Is there a function in the configuration to activate them or something?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had to tinker with the configuration a little to get the sprites to show up right. i can't remember exactly what i did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: