The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a GameCube?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Getting a GameCube? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a GameCube to go along with my PS2, do you think it is worthwhile? What games would you recommend the most?

The games I'm thinking of getting are Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Four Swords adventure, and Pikmin 2 / Luigi's Mansion,edit: and maybe Animal Crossing.

Any comments?
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eternal darkness
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Game Cube is worth getting. It's fairly cheap at the moment, so you can play the five or six games on it that are truly worth playing.

You know, like Ikaruga, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil 4, and so forth.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, especially at this late stage.

Eternal Darkness is plenty for some, but I had real gripes with it. For horror, my preference goes to the Resident Evil Remake for some reason (even over Resident Evil 4 in certain respects).

Super Monkey Ball and FZero GX each justify the console, and then there's stuff like Metroid Prime, Paper Mario, Smash Bros: Melee. All can be had cheap.

Mario Sunshine is fine, if visually tedious after a while. Luigi's Mansion is greatly underrated (being Luigi's lot). Haven't played the others you mentioned, though I know Zelda: Four Swords demands like-minded friends and lots of hardware around.

Toups: has Gamer's Quarter 4 been published yet? In the mail?
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my favorites:

Wind Waker (not to mention the ported N64 games)
Skies of Arcadia
Pikmin 1 and 2 (if only one, then the first one)
Paper Mario 2
Metroid Prime (the first one)
Ikaruga
Eternal Darkness
Cubivore

I thought I would like these, but didn't:

Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
Luigi's Mansion
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David JS wrote:
Toups: has Gamer's Quarter 4 been published yet? In the mail?

The pdf is online, print should be shipping very soon. I'm not the authority on that question though.

The REmake is pretty damned good; it's one of the most masterful reenvisionings of anything I've ever played. They just got so many little details right.

It's definitely my favorite traditional resident evil game.
BrokenFiction

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cube has a little more life in it just yet, and it's a great deal. I'm looking forward to:

Chibi Robo
Odama
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Zelda: Twilight Princess

And if the gods smile upon us just right, maybe we'll get English versions of Giftpia and Homeland...
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for franchise collections, I think the gamecube is pretty much the go-to system as well. Mega man, Zelda, Sonic, Resident Evil, even Pac-man. I'm going to second everything here, as well as a GBA player. Overpriced as a peripheral, a steal for what it actually is. Also, if you're looking for high-definition output make sure you get an earlier-produced system, with two outputs on the back.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Monkey Ball hates you, with the firey passion of a thousand suns. And not the playful, let's-fuck-with-you hate of something like SMB2j, either. I mean, it would really rather you just shut it off and never look at it again.

Anyone here futz around with Gamecube homebrew? Is there even anything worth looking at?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kuzdu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Toups on REmake. I think I'm actually one of the few people on Earth who likes it more that RE 4 (and it's good to finally have some company David). But between those two and everything else mentioned above, a GameCube is worth a lot more than they're selling it for these days.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any of the hudson remakes (cubic lode runner, star soldier, pc genjin). mr. driller drill land. with a freeloader you can play all of these on an ntsc gamecube (you can't save in drill land, though).

and a gameboy player with a hori pad (which i believe are being marketed in north america as "gameboy player controllers" now - i've seen them at the nintendo store).
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, aside from what everyone else has put:

PN03: While a lot of people give it slack it is a really excellent game, it is just not what you will be expecting it to be. It is very excellent though.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (ONLY if you have 2 players both with GBA's*): While a terrible one player game it is an excellent Gauntlet-esq multiplayer game that only gets more interesting the more players you have.

Sonic Heroes (don't you bastards yell at me): I don't really know why I liked the game so much, but I really did. It was designed to be played with the GC controller, and you can easily see that once you start to play (I would not want to play it on any other system). I hated SA2, but for some reason loved this 3D sonic game. In fact I like it more than SA1 which I enjoyed quite a bit. But, don't get it if you want to listen to everyone else and/or hated both the previous sonic adventure games.

Viewtiful Joe: While it wares out its welcome towards the end of the game it is really great at points and (I assume) looks much better than the PS2 version.

Supporting these recomendations: Sonic Collections, Monkey Balls, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime (even though I never finished it), Resident Evil 4, Zelda 4 Swords (see FF:CC controller warning).

Going to go ahead and say this REmake is no better than any other RE game, it will not make you feel any different about RE as a series or about the first RE. The only good thing about the game is that the terrible voice acting is gone and there is a better intro movie.

*:Not micro's** or DS's
**Although I hear there is a way to make Micro's work
sawtooth wrote:
Also, if you're looking for high-definition output make sure you get an earlier-produced system, with two outputs on the back.

I remember hearing that if you buy a new one you can send it to Nintendo and they will replace it with an HD output GC, though I would look into that further before taking my word for it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and alien hominid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battalion Wars
Cubivore
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
Mario Golf
Mario Kart: Double Dash
MGS: Twin Snakes
P.N.03
Pac Man Vs.
Super Monkey Ball 2. Yes, it's damn hard, sometimes annoyingly so. I've been stuck on the last world for about 2 years now. It's still fantastic though.
Wario Ware

I've been looking forward to Chibi Robo forever, largely cause it always looked like something that should have been on the Dreamcast, but Game Informer recently panned it as a kid's game with no depth. Now I'm suspicious, because I wasn't aware that it was in that "kiddie" genre and it could be a dealbreaker as such, but on the other hand this is Game Informer so I'm not certain whether or not they ever played the game.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to third PN03, it's a bit obtuse, but it's brilliant, and the only rhythm game I ever loved (PROTIP: I gave you a protip in there).

Also, keeping in mind I'm not much of a survival horror fan, a store demo of Resident Evil 4 was the reason I bought my cube and it didn't disappoint. F-Zero is tough but fair but not particularly nice about it.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Super Monkey Ball hates you, with the firey passion of a thousand suns. And not the playful, let's-fuck-with-you hate of something like SMB2j, either. I mean, it would really rather you just shut it off and never look at it again.

I've never played the first super monkey ball, but number 2 is, I imagine, the same way. 2 is the only game to make me, a very reserved person, throw a controller down to the floor. But it's wonderful, in its own way--when you are tired of getting your ass handed to you in one-player mode, the multiplayer games are great fun either alone or with others. It's a dichotomy that works very well, in a way that's very similar to pilotwings 64 (tired of slamming into the mountain in the glider? go into bird mode and fly around holiday island at sunset. Nothing is more relaxing. not even that one hippy game where you jump around on pads while soft music plays)
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tranquility?
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's it. my description makes it sound like ddr: san-fran senior citizen's remix.
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrokenFiction wrote:
And if the gods smile upon us just right, maybe we'll get English versions of Giftpia and Homeland...

Pray to your deity of choice, sacrifice a beast of burden, or just plain beat bones against the ground, but we all need to do whatever it takes to ensure one or both of these games gets an English release. They're just too cool to not make it over.

Aside from what everyone else listed (although I must reaffirm the previous nominations for RE4), I really liked Tales Of Symphonia. It's an RPG that doesn't take itself TOO seriously, and the combination of a lack of random battles with a real-time battle system is too good to pass up. Plus, you know: 4-player mode. I'm also quite fond of the beautiful and challenging Star Wars: Rogue Leader, and will readily argue that both Beyond Good And Evil and Timesplitters 2 were made to be played on the Gamecube.
If you have some means of playing imported games and are a fan of the shooter genre, I highly recommend Shikigami No Shiro 2. True, the game was released stateside as Castle Shikigami 2 on PS2 and XBox, but the Gamecube port just seems oh-so-smooth.

On that note, Ikaruga: I'd advise (assuming you have the hardware) springing for the Dreamcast port if you have the means. It's an excellent thing that we got a release of the game at all here in the 'states, but it happens to be very sluggish in parts, the colors seem a little muted, and the Hori SNES-style controller is almost mandatory.
So, if you have the option, go with Dreamcast first, but if arcade fidelity doesn't concern you much, there's no shame at all in getting the Gamecube version.

Oh, and TOTALLY get Animal Crossing.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-Zero is more than worth the $10 you'll gladly pay for it.
Resident Evil 4 recently went down to $20, but it's a crapy sequel.

I most higly recommend the first Midway Arcade Treasures.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a rock monster? wrote:
Star Wars: Rogue Leader

This game is a little underrated.

Which is the first Arcade Treasures? I'm pretty sure I've been seeing it and wanting to buy it everywhere, but I couldn't decide if it'd be better for the Cube or Box.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
ApM wrote:

I've never played the first super monkey ball, but number 2 is, I imagine, the same way. 2 is the only game to make me, a very reserved person, throw a controller down to the floor.

1 is worse.

EDIT: Not that that is bad.
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've bought a second-hand one with some 2nd hand games (and 1st hand cheap copy of Vieutiful Joe).

Pikmin 2, Super Mario Sunshine (for some Mario nostalgia), Metroid Prime (was buying the first hand copy but they couldn't find it so offered 2nd hand one - rip off merchants!).

I'd prefer to have bought it all first hand, but saved a little bit of money this way. Payed about 75 pounds total. (A new GC with Super Mario Strikers) was 85 pounds. Sadly, I think that all these second hand sales does is support heroin habits.

Some good suggestions to put on the radar! I'll keep an eye on Chibi-robo, and fingers crossed they will bring out GiftPia.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got mine used it came with a bunch of cables for God Knows What (not a Cube) and it was covered in ugly stickers (for snowboards?). One of the controllers has buttons which are either loose or permanently half depressed and a mysterious greasy texture which doesn't seem to wipe off.

In conclusion, I want a silver one : (
Ketch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
a mysterious greasy texture which doesn't seem to wipe off.

Ditto, gluey substance on the control stick.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
When I got mine used it came with a bunch of cables for God Knows What (not a Cube) and it was covered in ugly stickers (for snowboards?). One of the controllers has buttons which are either loose or permanently half depressed and a mysterious greasy texture which doesn't seem to wipe off.

my sister got a used one for christmas. It's pretty sweet.

um. get a new controller. that sounds pretty ecch.

my left control stick is starting to wobble a bit; tilting to the right. it probably has to do with 70 hours of smash brothers.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add a few cool things about the GC Ikaruga.

1- it's on the GameCube.

2- there are a few new modes of play, including conquest (which awards you replay videos of each chapter, perfect (?) replays which are immensly helpful if you are interested in the game), arcade mode, ranking mode...most of the add ons are cool, but the replay videos are key.

3- I have both the DC and GC copies, and from what I can tell, the game is identical on both systems. I've heard talk of the GC having worse sound, choppiness, etc., yet I have never experienced any problems at all with the game. Even the post boss explosions slow down identically to the DC version. (I heard this was changed)

4-There's nothing wrong with the GC controller, and if you must have digital input, I imagine the Hori pad is just as responsive as the DC controller, and a whole hell of a lot more comfortable.

side note- they cut out all of the mid chapter poetry that is in the DC version. Also, in the extras section of the GC version, none of the character bios text, or the story has been translated. In fact I believe they cut it out of the game. (I would have preferred they just leave it in the game untranslated, at least)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
4-There's nothing wrong with the GC controller, and if you must have digital input, I imagine the Hori pad is just as responsive as the DC controller, and a whole hell of a lot more comfortable.

side note- they cut out all of the mid chapter poetry that is in the DC version. Also, in the extras section of the GC version, none of the character bios text, or the story has been translated. In fact I believe they cut it out of the game. (I would have preferred they just leave it in the game untranslated, at least)

side note: this saddened me greatly.

4: the control pad on the hori digital is much better than the horribly clicky d-pad on the dreamcast controller.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:

I've got the Japanese Cube version. Does anyone know if it has this stuff? I've only ever played it on the Gamecube so I don't know if I'm missing anything. I've also got it on the DC, but I never opened it since I already had the Cube version.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
2- there are a few new modes of play, including conquest (which awards you replay videos of each chapter, perfect (?) replays which are immensly helpful if you are interested in the game), arcade mode, ranking mode...most of the add ons are cool, but the replay videos are key.

3- I have both the DC and GC copies, and from what I can tell, the game is identical on both systems. I've heard talk of the GC having worse sound, choppiness, etc., yet I have never experienced any problems at all with the game. Even the post boss explosions slow down identically to the DC version. (I heard this was changed)

I didn't mention it earlier, as it has no REAL impact on the playability of the game, but one of my reasons for disliking the GC port was Atari's lazy removal of any and all Japanese text. I mean, it's not like Ikaruga is a freaking text adventure or anything, but we still ended up with this neutered edition.

The Gamecube controller just plain did not do it for me on Ikaruga. Thumbsticks (as opposed to a full-size joystick) just don't work with shooter titles that require a precise amount of control, and the Gamecube's stunted D-pad violates the Geneva Conventinos with its horrid crimes against human thumbs. As much as you may like the Gamecube's controller (and believe me, I love it everything other than the 3 shooters on the system), you will curse your dark days with much wailing and gnashing of teeth once you step into the light with a Hori pad or full joystick.

The occasional slowdown and choppiness on the Gamecube version is, trust me, very real. The best evidence of it (and thankfully, the least irritating, as it has no effect on your gameplay) is in the boss explosions. On the Dreamcast, the slowdown feels planned for effect, but on the Gamecube it moves a good deal slower, as if you could hear the machine chugging to render the effects. Now, the Gamecube is an amazing little machine, but you simply can't beat a home port on a system nearly identical to the arcade hardware - especially if the original developer is the one doing the port.
The visuals - especially the backgrounds - are also not quite as smooth in the Gamecube edition as on the Dreamcast. While they're nowhere near PS2 levels before developers figured out how to code for anti-aliasing, they're still a lot jaggier than on the Dreamcast.
A few other occurrances of slight slowdown that I remember off the top of my head was the intro to Chapter 2, the boss battle in Chapter 3, and the section closely following the Chapter 4 prologue. Of course, they don't adversely affect the gameplay THAT much, but if you put enough time into the Dreamcast port the flaws are obvious.

I did enjoy the extras in the GC version, however, especially the replay videos. It was sortof like getting the game and the Appreciate DVD for one low, low price. The internet ranking was also fun, but it's too bad that the site hasn't been up for a while.

Please note that I'm not saying that the Gamecube port of Ikaruga is bad - for what it is, it's well done. If someone is looking for a fun game to add to their GC collection, you can do far, far worse than Ikaruga. But if you're intent on a home experience as close to the arcade as possible, the Dreamcast port is the only way to go.
Or you could be really hardcore and shell out for a NAOMI setup, which would mean you are totally awesome.

SuperWes: If, after a chapter prologue when your screen looks like this and you have the small Japanese text under the Ikaruga logo on the left of your playing field, then that's the same as on the Dreamcast edition. You'll also have the various snatches of onscreen text before the different boss battles in Chapter 5.
As the directory I found this image under says Gamecube, I would think this is a valid picture of the Japanese Gamecube version. I also wouldn't see why they'd remove the Japanese text in Japan, but who knows! All I'm certain of is that I did not win the sake set.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get both versions.

The first time I made it to chapter four on one credit, I was playing with the GC controller. Weird, as I swear by digital input for shooters.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
get both versions.

don't get both versions.

there's no need for one person to own two copies of a single game.

(i may be looking at you, wes.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to spend some serious time with the GC version, after reading what St.Louis wrote about the choppiness factor. I seriously didn't notice it. Reminds me of playing GSH on the new SP, during the overhead shooter level, the background was a little jumpy. I thought it was weird but shrugged it off, and come to find out it was the hardware causing it.

Dess, the only reason I own both is because Wes said it was okay. I bought Ikaruga DC long before the GC version came out. When I saw the GC version in the game shop for seven bucks, I picked it up immediately.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
because Wes said it was okay

that's no way to live your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

there's no need for one person to own two copies of a single game.

uh oh, don't tell the KoF folks about this!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
chompers po pable wrote:
because Wes said it was okay

that's no way to live your life.

Ho oh! Let's not get into this...

You should have every great game AT LEAST once. But it's ok to have mediocre ones only once.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
When I saw the GC version in the game shop for seven bucks, I picked it up immediately.

At that price, there's no reason not to buy the game, even if you already had a Gamecube copy!

Remember people: buy multiple copies of your favorite games, so that you may play them twice.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
chompers po pable wrote:
When I saw the GC version in the game shop for seven bucks, I picked it up immediately.

At that price, there's no reason not to buy the game, even if you already had a Gamecube copy!

Remember people: buy multiple copies of your favorite games, so that you may play them twice.

You know, I actually have two copies of MGS 2, because I like it so much.

I bought the first one for eight dollars, though I was mad about the manual not being there. I mean, we all now that every juicy bit of the game, from the packaging to the actual disc was infused with Kojima's Shinto God lifeforce, so a missing manual was a serious concern.

After beating it, I felt compelled to buy another copy of the game when I saw it for five dollars at EB, the price of a lo mein lunch. This time the manual was included. Can't say that it made my life much better, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
Can't say that it made my life much better, though.

Come, now...that's crazy talk.

I recently picked up the only copy of Resident Evil 4 in Arizona...perfect in every way, sans the instructions. the fucking humanity.

I have two copies of Silent Hill 2. The original and GH.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompers po pable wrote:
I recently picked up the only copy of Resident Evil 4 in Arizona...perfect in every way, sans the instructions. the fucking humanity.

I made the mistake of trying to play RE4 after Killer7. It became very frustrating how I always had to "choose a direction for my character to move in" and "move at speeds less than a run" and "avoid enemies." I plan to restart it once the K7 effect has worn off.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took some getting used to for me as well. After hearing how the controls were the best ever etc., I was a bit surprised that the game still controls like a tank in some ways (tanks can't jump)...though after getting used to it, I can't imagine a better way of doing it...and the controls, along with the cheesy voice at the beginning of the game that says "Resident Eeeevil Fourrr," are both endearing throwbacks to the original.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'best controls ever' is definitely a thing that's relative to other games in the series. Playing through REmake and Zero made me ache for an eternal-darkness-like control scheme.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: