The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Were RPGs meant to be played on a portable system?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Were RPGs meant to be played on a portable system? Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the cooler the idea seems to me. Why play an engrossing RPG on a system at home that limits how often and when you can play it? With the recent release of FF1&2 Dawn of Souls, and FFIV on the GBA, life is just getting too sweet. To be able to just pick up and play a game like this is too good to be true. Games like Golden Sun, the BOF series, and the tactics genre are also great games to be played on a portable system (ie, Advanced Wars).

Like Pokemon was MEANT to be played on a portable system. The N64 and GC games that let you fight with your stuff is just a complement to the game. I really hope that one day we have games you can play on a system (like the Revolution), then transfer that game onto your portable system and continue to progress through the game and growing in strength while you're on your way to work/class or whatever. The days of the pocket station are long past, and I really hope to see this evolution to happen more frequently in the near future!
purplechair

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGs were meant to be played on a table, with dice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sawtooth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a buttload of Doritos and frozen pizza.
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a joint.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're at it, why not make every game on a portable system? Shit, lets make long, drawn out strategy games on a portable system! Lets make mother fucking Civilization for a portable system!!! Oh wait...

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think that FPS games transfer well onto portable systems for starters. At least I haven't played too many that I liked. I guess I got a little over excited that Final Fantasy's 1 -4 are all on the DS now. I think that's the coolest thing ever. I don't think that FFV and VI are that far behind, and that gets me drooling.

I think the only genresthat could benefit more from this new system of WiFi capability are fighting and sports games. If you can get both of those types of games on a portable with the type of graphics and smooth movement that you get on consoles, that would be a blast to play.

Perhaps if they had the original RBI baseball for the NES on the DS . . . now THAT would be fun!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real secret here is that quicksaves have made RPGs more palatable. We're at a point where it's pretty ridiculous if your drawn-out RPG doesn't have some sort of quit-at-any-time mechanic, no matter what system it's on.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Well, I don't think that FPS games transfer well onto portable systems for starters.

meh. That has more to do with control than anything else. If anything, FPS games should be even more immersive on the portable screen simply because of how much more personal the experience is when it's just you and the screen with nothing in between.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better question: Dynasty Warriors

The PS2/xbox versions feature levels that take anywhere from 25-90 minutes to finish. Can "stop 'n go" portables meet the need? Even with the implementation of the board game-like movements, there are still some good 5-10 minutes stretches where you can't save or turn off the system.

Hell. Puny GBA!

But... it gave me Ariea of Sorrows. Castlevania is a good RPG and it's on the GBA! I've defeated you implied suggestion, dhex! 61!
player 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
If anything, FPS games should be even more immersive on the portable screen simply because of how much more personal the experience is when it's just you and the screen with nothing in between

I'm not sure how true that is. Bigger screens seem to be better for FPSes, I think. It's just natural to look "all around". When you're playing a game on a handheld, the immersion comes from the game being right in your palms. Everything else on a handheld is pretty much secondary to whatever console you're currently playing.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there's no story to deal with. Save points are maybe 10 minutes apart, and if you have to turn it off suddenly and lose data, chances are good you'll only be replaying action and not scrolling through text. Replaying a room of Castlevania is far more desirable than rereading 3 minutes of FF melodrama.

Lots of games these days seem to have a sleep feature, though.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleep features rock . .. and I guess I'll make a better judgement about FPS when the new Metroid comes out for the DS. The demo was okay, but I felt the control was a little awkward.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
If anything, FPS games should be even more immersive on the portable screen simply because of how much more personal the experience is when it's just you and the screen with nothing in between

I'm not sure how true that is. Bigger screens seem to be better for FPSes, I think. It's just natural to look "all around". When you're playing a game on a handheld, the immersion comes from the game being right in your palms. Everything else on a handheld is pretty much secondary to whatever console you're currently playing.

Actually.

Proximity to screen is the weird way in which PC gaming and portable gaming overlap.

s!
purplechair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Metroid demo was pretty good. I thought it was better (edit: I mean... the controls felt better) than most console FPS games I've played - including the short blast I had on Metroid Prime a few years back (although judging from the way everyone goes on about it, it's quite possible I'll revise this opinion once I've played it a bit more).

I've yet to play a good fighting game on a handheld. The characters usually seem out of proportion with the rest of the screen, and trying to do complicated moves and combos while also trying to hold the screen steady is troublesome.

I think Civ could work on a handheld. It's not a million miles away from Advance Wars. I think I'd rather something like Civ 2 on my DS than something like Civ 1 on my phone, but maybe that's just me...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I've yet to play a good fighting game on a handheld. The characters usually seem out of proportion with the rest of the screen, and trying to do complicated moves and combos while also trying to hold the screen steady is troublesome.

Shonen Jump Superstars is pretty good at handeling this. It is not as deep a fighting system as a standard 2D fighter (more kin to Smash Bros than anything else) but it doesn't have most of the problems that 2D fighters seem to have on portable systems.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've defeated you implied suggestion, dhex! 61!

who did what now?

i can't portable game until they make a portable system for lumberjack hands. the micro is around the size of my keychain.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was that Darkstalkers game on the PSP?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Terrible

Yes, looked incredible, controlled like a turd.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Neo Geo pocket had an assload of great fighting games. I'm generally not a fan of SNK's fighting games, but their translations to the portable sphere seemed to play much better. The only drawback was that the logistics of actually playing them multiplayer mean that they were primarily single player games.

That said, SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millenium is better than either of the Capcom vs. SNK games in my opinion.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that all the time, and I'd really like to see an argument. I mean... Yeah, CvS1 is trash, but CvS2 is the Dream Match to end all Dream Matches.

_Marcel Duchamp
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:
CvS2 is the Dream Match to end all Dream Matches.

I am going to wait and play NG Battle Collesium before I make that call. I hear excellent things about it. I also prefer SNK over Capcom fighters.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no love for Samurai Spirits Tenka? The only way they could do better is to have Samurai Spirits vs Last Blade!
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNK is fun. I just don't think it's masochistic enough. Seriously.

_Marcel Duchamp
DonMarco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
player 2 wrote:
CvS2 is the Dream Match to end all Dream Matches.

I am going to wait and play NG Battle Collesium before I make that call. I hear excellent things about it. I also prefer SNK over Capcom fighters.

The version I played January this year was pretty good and fun. More like a Capcom game than a SNK 2D slug fest. By "slug" I was referring to the animals that travel in static paths, not really doing anything impressive. And it's more of a hurried shuffle, going nowhere fast.

I hate KoF.
GSL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Shonen Jump Superstars is pretty good at handeling this. It is not as deep a fighting system as a standard 2D fighter (more kin to Smash Bros than anything else) but it doesn't have most of the problems that 2D fighters seem to have on portable systems.

The upcoming Guilty Gear for the DS has me really excited. The series never required as many buttons as the Capcom games, and the DS control pad seems to be a lot more competent than the GBA's for the motions needed in proper fighting games.

Crawfish's port of Street Fighter Alpha/Zero 3 to the GBA was a stunning technical marvel, a perfect portable port of one of the high points in the Street Fighter series - aside from the whole thing about a lousy fighting D-pad and only two really accessable buttons. It's true that you CAN use the shoulder buttons for a total of four, but I've yet to see that combination executed competently in real life. Sakura's Shunpukyaku doesn't really come out right when your strong kick button is the L trigger.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
The upcoming Guilty Gear for the DS has me really excited. The series never required as many buttons as the Capcom games, and the DS control pad seems to be a lot more competent than the GBA's for the motions needed in proper fighting games.

Yeah, I'm a big Guilty Gear fan (although I wish they would stop with the Capcom-esque naming conventions and just release GGXXX). I've considered getting the PSP one, and like the idea of the DS version, but I think both platforms have problems relating to the D-pad, like Greatsaintlouis mentions.

That said, I'm unconvinced that a conversion of a conventional 2D fighter is plausible on either the DS or the PSP. The D-pad just sinks it for me every time. Jump Superstars is excellent, it's just non a conventional 2D fighter. It's more like a competitive platformer.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
although I wish they would stop with the Capcom-esque naming conventions and just release GGXXX
That version sounds like it would be hot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: