The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nintendo sound-effects.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Nintendo sound-effects. Reply with quote

I don't know how they did it, but they manage to get perfect "reward" noises, whether that is the ting of turning on the GBA/SNES or the fanfare in Zelda, or the noises of getting a coin / power-up in Super Mario Bros.

It seems to me that they must have studied the way that slot machines work (flashing lights and noises) and deliberately implemented these precise noises. Also notice in Zelda: WW even the camera makes a noise when you align it behind you, this seems to be a deliberate reward mechanism. Just as does the way that he shouts when he slashes his sword (even though this irks me).

At the same time it makes me wonder how come they got it so wrong with Navi "hey!" "look here". Was this the tranlation department or did Navi say Hey in the Japanese versions of Zelda:TOOT as well? -- Anyone want to look into this?
Alc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miyamoto's games quite often have small amounts of english voice acting in them. Super Mario Sunshine's intro was all in English in the Japanese version, with Japanese subs. So I'd bet that Navi sounds the same in the Japanese version of OoT.
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Nintendo sound-effects. Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
the noises of getting a coin / power-up in Super Mario Bros.

I don't really have anything to contribute to this except to say that it was very strange to read this message in the morning right after I had a dream in which I was admiring the sound effects in SMB.

It's true, though, and I think I had the dream because I've been thinking lately about just how good every aspect of SMB was. And also about how it's kind of sad what they turned Mario into after 3. Well, Mario World was okay--he wasn't a complete clown yet in that game. I much preferred him as a serious character--or at least abstract and ambiguous enough that I could pretend he was.

For some reason, the fairy noises never really bugged me in Ocarina. Maybe just because I was so impressed with the game, overall. And, speaking of reward effects, I think Nintendo also does a great job visually. The rupees in all the Zelda games just feel like they're worth collecting, even when you don't need any. Especially in Wind Waker, where they make a big deal about all the things you collect but most are kind of worthless. And the Super Mario coins, too--especially those flat ones that don't spin in SMB3.

Okay, I guess I sort of did contribute something, trivial or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: