The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I were to play one game of ____, which would it be?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: If I were to play one game of ____, which would it be? Reply with quote

Cause I've been seeing lots of series ranked recently and I'm curious about the ones I haven't played. Therefore:

Pokemon (I almost bought Emerald today cause I think I've heard Shaper referencing it on and off, but I figured maybe it's not The One and that's really the cause of this thread.)
Sonic (Maybe 2D & 3D, if the latter's actually worth it).
Mega Man (X counts, Battle Network doesn't)
Dragon Quest
and whatever else you want to throw in there with 4+ iterations.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Dragon Quest, I will say 1 or 5. 1 should put every RPG development since the NES in perspective. 5 should put every Dragon Quest development since the NES in perspective.

For Sonic, I'll actually suggest Sonic 2 for the Game Gear. It's very, very different from its Genesis counterpart. Chaos Emeralds lie about the stages for you to find on your own without going through annoying mini-games. (Tails cannot fucking jump on time in the Genesis mini-game, and it is motherfucking annoying.) I think it's an underappreciated game. Then again, I haven't played it since middle school, so I might have me some rose-colored glasses on.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of these series I've only had spotty exposure to, but I'd recommend one of the first-generation pokemon titles (red or blue, the difference is more or less lost on me). It's worth it just for the saffron city music alone (although Super Smash Brothers did a pretty nice rendition). I've played pokemon sapphire, and it really doesn't change much from all of the other games, so there's no Final Fantasy 1 - Final Fantasy 6 leap of difference, though.

Oh, and Kirby Superstar. Although there isn't a game in the kirby series that I don't absolutely adore (excluding the GBA ones, as I've never played those).
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the urge to play sonic 2 last night, so i did (on my gamecube). i played up to the final boss, and used up most of my continues re-learning mecha sonic's pattern. then i played the original sonic, up to the spring yard zone (because i can't stand the underwater labyrinth). conclusions: i still like sonic 3 the best, because i can play it from start to finish at whim. sonic & knuckles doesn't count, though, despite technically being an extension of sonic 3.

my favorite dragon quest is the third one, too. i think it's the one where horii & co. finally got everything figured out, and ever following dragon quest game is merely a variant on it. that being said, V is wonderful, but III is quintessential.

and kirby superstar is the best kirby ever, particularly with two players.

AND you know what? ultima V: warriors of destiny.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AND you know what? ultima V: warriors of destiny.

yeah. its a very dark game, not just ega pallette-wise.

(hint: the magic axe is your friend)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no way. Ultima VII beats the pants off V. I can't think of anything as immersive that predates it, and it cleared the way for the Western RPG as we know it today.

Was Kirby Superstar on the SNES? I'll check it out, but that series (up until the DS version) never did anything for me. Blue skies and all, I guess, but they always felt completely hollow when I played them.

[EDIT] Here's another addition to the list: Shin Megami Tensei.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Hollow? And yes, superstar is on the snes.

Actually, you know what? I'm changing my vote to Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland, for the NES. Every time I play it I can't help but feel that I've touched greatness.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really the Blue Skies thing then? That you can float your way through most levels without any sort of conflict? I'm all for that conceptually, but I was personally never drawn into the world of Kirby. It made me feel like I was observing a mental ward where all involved were too drugged to register the world around them. I can't even remember what Kirby is trying to do- is there a reason he's on his quest? I'm pretty sure Canvas Curse has something to do with an alternate dimension, but I have no idea why those bosses are there, or even what the nefarious mastermind was scheming; I loved it cause of the gameplay alone.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"floating above everything" is only really a problem on a select few stages of the early worlds in the first game. I don't recall doing that in any of the other games (except maybe the first kirby on gameboy, but I can't remember that game very well). I never floated above because that bored me and didn't help me uncover many secrets or get the good powers.

And I really don't care about the Blue Skies movement, joke, seriously, or otherwise.

oh, and in Kirby's Dreamland, kirby's on a quest to retrieve the rod of dreams (or something like that) that was stolen by King Dede. Said King broke up this rod and divided it among his friends for safekeeping (the bosses). When Kirby finally defeats King Dede, Nightmare comes along, ruins everything, and it's kirby's job to defeat Nightmare once and for all. And I think this is the basic plot for all of the games, too.

That's really not what sells each game for me, though. The powers are really interesting, balanced, and used well in each game, but that's not the best thing either.

For me, it's the secrets. So many well-hidden things behind puzzles and cleverly-concealed doorways, sometimes having to carry a single power through a gauntlet of enemies. Superstar always seemed a lot more straightforward than Dreamland, even though the powers you received were 1000% cooler. All of the puzzles were left for the Great Cave Offensive, which is not a bad thing, but I really liked the way they were integrated in Dreamland.

The mental ward observation isn't an entirely unwarranted comparison, though.

And I.... think it's wrong to like a platformer for anything but the gameplay.

What kirby games have you played?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ultima VII beats the pants off V

U7 part II, maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much with sawtooth on this one. I never owned a SNES but I played through Superstars several times with a good friend. Actually, other than the Bonk games, it may be the only platformer I've played to completion.

Quote:
When Kirby finally defeats King Dede, Nightmare comes along, ruins everything, and it's kirby's job to defeat Nightmare once and for all. And I think this is the basic plot for all of the games, too.

I forgot how awesome that whole leg of the game is. I mean really, it was just a great moment.

EDIT: My contribution to the actual subjuect of the thread...

If I were to play an X-Wing game it would be Tie-Fighter.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tie fighter is 90s awesomeness incarnate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly. It was from a time when Lucasarts seemed to know what to do with their licenses (Rebel Assualt excepted and such). And if I had to pick a Dark Forces game it would be the first. Lightsabers weren't so cool as people thought.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
Superstar always seemed a lot more straightforward than Dreamland, even though the powers you received were 1000% cooler. All of the puzzles were left for the Great Cave Offensive, which is not a bad thing, but I really liked the way they were integrated in Dreamland.

the powers are more fun in superstar because they're context-sensitive. if you use the "flame" ability in kirby's adventure, you will stop right where you are and spit fire. if you are flying through the air, you will stop and spit fire as you fall to the ground. in superstar you spit fire when you're standing still on the ground. if you jump into the air you will twirl as a big ball of fire. if you run and press fire you will transform into a comet. and the second player can do the same.

all the secrets in great cave offensive are hidden very cleverly. and they're great things, like samus's screw attack or a mr. saturn from mother 2. the last item is the triforce. i once got 100% in superstar (all secrets in all games, plus clearing the arena). truly, it was a ridiculous moment in my life.

the nightmare battle in kirby's adventure is such a great moment because the game suddenly becomes much, much more demanding, and you have to defeat an enemy in the sky in shooter mode before you crash to the ground and die. and then after that you fight the hardest boss in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:

What kirby games have you played?

Honestly, I couldn't even give you names. There was one (or two?) on the GB, one on the GBA, and a little bit of the NES one. I'm not sure if I ever played Superstar or not. Canvas Curse is the first to really register anything with me.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirby Superstar is strictly for two players, and it's mostly just there for Great Cave Offensive. Everything else is just candy. Though the Meta Knight one is very pretty candy. Everything has this setting sun tint... ah.

So, which Harvest Moon is the best these days? I played the hell out of the SNES one, in the days of emulation fever. Is the GBC one at least as good? 'Cause I saw it cheap.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]]Lightsabers weren't so cool as people thought.[/img]

yeah, but force jump ruled. plus, pulling out everyone's blasters and making them run away is fun. i never bothered with the dark side, though. i might pick up jedi outcast eventually.

but tie fighter...shit, the end missions when you have the tie advanced and you're fighting off what seems like hundreds of enemy ships, or trying to take down a star destroyer without any missiles or backup...yeah, that's cool stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it amusing that going to the dark side in Jedi Knight was simply a matter of murdering dozens of random civillians. I actually enjoyed Jedi Knight though. It had a great sense of scale that most FPSes of the time totally lacked. Some of those open areas were massive.

I was actually fairly involved with the level-making community for this game. You know people still release levels for it fairly regularly?

And tie fighter...hey pilot, why don't you just go and fight like, ten frigates? No, you don't need backup, silly! I lost a lot of sympathy for the rebel alliance with that game. I mean seriously, their ships are stacked.

The tie interceptor is a beautiful thing though, and you feel way more badass taking down an x-wing when you don't have shields. That's real piloting.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let me see what I can put together here:

Pokemon: I would not start with Emerald. I would go with Fire Red or Leaf Green. Emerald is like Hard Type Ruby and Saphire as I understand it. Fire/Leaf are remakes of the original games with some really nice touches added. They were really built to be played after you have Ruby/Saphire if you played the originals because of the nostalga value. I would not recommend them if you played the GB games, just jump straight to which ever of the new ones for the GBA. I personally don't like the 3D ones.

Sonic: Well, just get the Mega Collection. 1, 2 and 3 are all fantastic games for their own reasons and I suggest playing them in order. They are not too hard or too long. You don't want to ask me about the 3D ones because I like Heroes which most people (rightfully) don't.

Megaman: Well this is hard. I would say get the Anniversary collection and start on 2. From there just pick and choose what you like. Some are really bad. Megamand and Bass is one of my personal favorites but is pretty hard. I also really enjoyed X 1-4.

Dragon Quest: Jump straight to 8. I am playing it now and it is fantastic. Don't start with 7 whatever you do.

Swimmy wrote:
So, which Harvest Moon is the best these days? I played the hell out of the SNES one, in the days of emulation fever. Is the GBC one at least as good? 'Cause I saw it cheap.

My wife is probably one of the largest freaks I have known (online and in person) about the Harvest Moon series. She really, really enjoys the GC versions (boy and girl type) so I would have to say that those are the best ones right now. They are pretty deep and have excellent towns. I guess that the game was just released for the PS2 as some special edition, but don't mix it up with the PS2 only version of Harvest Moon - she claims that one is probably the worst. The GBA ones are also really good, but she spends a lot more time with GC versions so I have to guess that those are better.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really loved the SNES Harvest Moon, but I never got into the GC one to the same degree. Still, the scheduling and task planning in the GC Harvest Moon can be a lively mental exercise. It seems like you always have more going on at once than the other ones.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out of this thread for a while, but here's my catch up:

Harvest Moon - Harvest Moon PS1
I didn't play any of them until the N64 version, but my favorite is easily the PS1 version. It's more gameplay-oriented than the current-gen versions and the tension of trying to get everything done in a day is balanced so that you'll have to sacrifice something every day and you're left make that tough decision daily.

Pokemon - Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
I would recommend only playing Pokemon if you know someone else locally who is playing it. The game is all about building your Pokemon up and trading them. Even if you never do trade them, the possibility that you just might makes the game compelling enough to continue on.

Sonic 2D - Sonic Jam
It's a cop-out, but this is the best collection of Sonic games in existance.

Sonic 3D - Sonic Adventure
Not essential, but Sonic Adventure when playing as Sonic is a great balance of playing fun stages and exploring the possibilities of 3D. This stuff doesn't matter as much as it did when the game came out, but because of what the game did and when it did it there are parts of Sonic Adventure that stand out in my mind as some of my favorite gaming moments of all time.

Mega Man - Mega Man Legends
It's not really a Mega Man game, but if you haven't played any other ones your expectations won't turn this into a let-down.

Dragon Quest - Dragon Quest 8
Just like Shaper I'm really enjoying this one. Despite its length it's just a joy to play that I can actually see myself possibly finishing it some day. A must-play.

Kirby - Kirby's Dreamland 2
I'm not sure why nobody has suggested this one yet, but this is Kirby at his best and most complicated. Kirby's Dreamland 2 required you to have certain abilities while riding certain animals to reach certain secrets which made it the most replayable in the series and one that's maybe too complicated for its target audience. It's so good that I've been let down by every Kirby since (with the exception of the DS version).

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Kirby 2. While I like it, it doesn't feel as open and expansive as all of the other games. It is very good, though. I played Kirby 3 before 2, though, so it sort of spoiled the animals for me, and it has a lot of similar puzzles. 3 also has my favorite graphics. It really helps enhance the dreamlike feeling the series has.
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of Harvest Moon, I'm a big fan of the Nintendo 64 version. It's a bit more simplistic in its execution than any of the newer ones on GBA, Gamecube, or PS2, and plus I just LOVE the psuedo-3D sprites in the game. I also enjoy the static top-down view - the 3D camera gets a little annoying in the console versions. I dislike the GBA games mainly on account of what I find to be a rather screwy control scheme.

I can't authoratatively say this is THE best Harvest Moon game, however, as I haven't played the second and third GBC outing, nor (gasp!) the ridiculously-priced SNES installment. On its own, though, Harvest Moon 64 is still pretty darned good.
nICO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really posted much anywhere the past few months (busy reading, writing, and all), but I guess this thread is as good a place as any to slowly start up again.

I agree with Shaper that Sonic 1, 2, and 3 should all be played for different reasons. I especially suggest playing them in order, then -immediately- starting over again. As soon as you beat 3, play 1 for a while and the differences between the two games become strikingly apparent.

Star Light Zone of Sonic 1 is my favorite Sonic level. I like to think it's not just because of the music, but I don't know...

Oddly enough, I went to list my favorite Sonic games in order, and (today at least) each major entry in the series got lower than the last. From the top I like:

Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Heroes

With the last two thrown on to continue the pattern, despite the fact they both really suck.

I'd also like to throw out a question I would really appreciate a good answer to (Superwes maybe?). Which Mario Party, 1-6, is the best if you only want to own one and ignoring price?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario party 2 is the peak of the mario party series.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played Mario Party 4-6, and I like 6 the best; the night/day cycle adds a little gameplay, and NPCs move faster, which is of utmost importance. I've never once used the microphone though. I thought the N64 versions included thumb/controller-destroying analog rotation games? I haven't heard anything good about those.

Shaper, I got Megaman & Bass a while back when I sprang for a whole stack of cheap used stuff. After I completed the prologue, it's been sitting around unplayed. It's really disconcerting to me to see Megaman that cartoony (and tall!); what got you into the game? I really liked MM X back on the SNES but I think I might have been fooled into a notion of progress through the armor collection.

And could somebody just list me off the Pokemon titles and how they relate to each other? I'm so confused.

While we're on it, did you know the only Zelda title I ever finished was Wind Waker? I even own practically all of them (Missing one of the Oracles, the GBC Awakening DX and GC Four Swords) and I try really hard to be absorbed by them now and again but it's surprisingly difficult for me. There's a great TGQ story in me somewhere about my childhood friends and how we each latched onto a particular RPG; mine was Secret of Mana and for some reason I could never get into other Action RPGs afterward.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
I've only played Mario Party 4-6, and I like 6 the best; the night/day cycle adds a little gameplay, and NPCs move faster, which is of utmost importance. I've never once used the microphone though. I thought the N64 versions included thumb/controller-destroying analog rotation games? I haven't heard anything good about those.

Shaper, I got Megaman & Bass a while back when I sprang for a whole stack of cheap used stuff. After I completed the prologue, it's been sitting around unplayed. It's really disconcerting to me to see Megaman that cartoony (and tall!); what got you into the game? I really liked MM X back on the SNES but I think I might have been fooled into a notion of progress through the armor collection.

The N64 games indeed had the hand-destroying analog rotation. If you were smart, you used your palm because it was faster. And chances were your thumb was already blistered so you had to get creative. Eventually nintendo was distributing gloves with the game, I think?

Megaman and Bass has the same look and feel as Megaman eight. To date it's the only megaman game I've ever finished. And I think I only finished it because I used bass; the game was so much easier when you could aim your cannon in 7 directions. I wasn't very hardcore.
player 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Megaman debate has always been between Megaman 2 and 3. Always. What the fuck is this Rockman & Forte shit? It's good, but it's no Megaman 3.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
The N64 games indeed had the hand-destroying analog rotation.

only the first one. by the second game they'd ditched it. have i mentioned that the second game is the best? i believe i have.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I didn't play any of them until the N64 version, but my favorite is easily the PS1 version. It's more gameplay-oriented than the current-gen versions and the tension of trying to get everything done in a day is balanced so that you'll have to sacrifice something every day and you're left make that tough decision daily.

You is crazy. The PS1 game has a ton going on but the control is terrible and you can get a green house. The PS1 game (by having the most going on) is easily the most monotonous. Also, what the hell does gameplay-oriented mean when it comes to a Harvest Moon game? If anything there is tons more gameplay in the Gamecube version.

Just a small hint, you have not even seen a good chunk of the game until your third year for the GC version.

And, yes the N64 version is very excellent. It also has the most spelling/grammar errors and a little tough to get a hold of.

SuperWes wrote:
Megaman Legends

Copout. Anyways, MML is not as great as it is made out to be. MML is about as Megaman as … ummm… Super Mario 64 is Megaman.
player 2 wrote:
The Megaman debate has always been between Megaman 2 and 3. Always. What the fuck is this Rockman & Forte shit? It's good, but it's no Megaman 3.

Shapermc wrote:
I would say get the Anniversary collection and start on 2. From there just pick and choose what you like.

simplicio wrote:
And could somebody just list me off the Pokemon titles and how they relate to each other? I'm so confused.

Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green: These two are remakes of the original Pokemon GB games. Almost the only difference is a graphic overhaul for most of the game and there is a large added section after you beat the game not in the original. Both games have you explore the Kanto region collecting mostly the same pokemon. The main difference between the two is that you have about 12 or so pokemon you can only collect in one version and vice versa.

Pokemon Ruby/Saphire/Emerald: This is pretty much the direct sequel the GB/C games. The berry system is added (which is pretty much throw away) and you are now exploring the Hoeen region. The differences again are some dozen or so pokemon to catch and something about teams Magma and Aqua.

Pokemon Colosseum: The first 3D RPG for the series. The main difference here is the exploring and collecting aspect of the game which is completely different from the previous games. I don’t like the way you can’t wander around and collect new pokemon.

Pokemon XD: Sequel to Colosseum. Mostly the same though.

Older Pokemon:

Gold/Silver/Crystal: Explore the Johto region of pokemon. The day/night and pager systems are incorporated which turns the game to the area of being very complex. A lot of people don’t like it. See issue 2 of TGQ for a good article on it.

Red/Blue/Yellow: These are the first GB games for pokemon. Yellow has Pikachu as your main pokemon and a visualization of him fallows the main character on screen while exploring. Yellow was the first version of the game I played. These were the ones that were remade into Fire Red and Leaf Green (which was the Japanese names of the original games I think).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
If anything there is tons more gameplay in the Gamecube version..

there's not enough farming in the gamecube version. i like the episodes that are more farming-oriented. the snes version was the first one i played extensively, and i got a lot of satisfaction out of clearing the field, building fences, and planting crops (in those bracket-shaped patterns to minimize waste). i played the gba version and it seemed alright. the gbc game let me play as a woman, but i think i would have been expected to marry a man eventually.

also, my mother totally finished pokemon yellow recently.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

You is crazy. The PS1 game has a ton going on but the control is terrible and you can get a green house. The PS1 game (by having the most going on) is easily the most monotonous. Also, what the hell does gameplay-oriented mean when it comes to a Harvest Moon game? If anything there is tons more gameplay in the Gamecube version.

Just a small hint, you have not even seen a good chunk of the game until your third year for the GC version.

And, yes the N64 version is very excellent. It also has the most spelling/grammar errors and a little tough to get a hold of.

How can the controls be crap on the PS1 version? The controls and graphics are pretty much the same as on the N64 version you mention at the end of your post!

If anything, the control on the Gamecube version is where things go downhill. When I say gameplay-oriented I mean as opposed to story-oriented. In the Gamecube and PS2 versions you've got to spend half of your days going around and talking to people -people who say the same damn thing every day. I personally prefer the farming part of the game and the PS1 version is where that gets most of the focus.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
How can the controls be crap on the PS1 version? The controls and graphics are pretty much the same as on the N64 version you mention at the end of your post! If anything, the control on the Gamecube version is where things go downhill.

Hmm, ok. Well I don't think you remember the control scheme of the PS1 version very well. Also how does the control go downhill for the GC version?
SuperWes wrote:
When I say gameplay-oriented I mean as opposed to story-oriented. In the Gamecube and PS2 versions you've got to spend half of your days going around and talking to people -people who say the same damn thing every day. I personally prefer the farming part of the game and the PS1 version is where that gets most of the focus.

The PS2 (only) version yes, but the GC version is very heavy on the farming aspect of it all. I think it is funny that you mention the PS1 version being more gameplay over story oriented when the PS1 version is the N64 with added plot elements. You also have constant difficulties in the PS1 game like not being able to make any money for a long time because all products are too expensive. With more story elements and everything being harder to purchase, yes you are going to end up spending more time farming. This is the equivelent of level grinding which is no fun at all. In the GC version you do spend a lot of time on the farm and you start out doing some fishing so you can make easy money, but you are also alowed more time to explore the town and meet the people with out being as harshly punished. If you just want to focus on the farming the system is much deeper on the GC version than any other. Where previously you only had a milk and butter machine you now have a seed machine and the ability to make hybrid plants. On top of all this your interaction with the town has much more feedback to the "story line" of the game. Oh, sorry, I also forgot that you can set up your own shop and sell your own farm fresh produce in the GC version.

I am sure I am missing some main points here as I have only extensive watching time, no playing time.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The control in the Gamecube version sucks because it's in 3D but requires the precision of the 2D games. And level grinding in Harvest Moon rocks. If you haven't played the game yourself you don't really have a frame of reference as watching anyone level grind doesn't quite have the same effect as actually level grinding yourself.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stating impressions as they were told to me. Also, the precision of watering (which I belive you are refering to) was balanced out by having more water in your watering can. Yes, it is a little more difficult, but it is much easier to navigate the towns in general. The PS2 version is less precise than the GC version.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS2 version blows.

The PS1 version! That's where it's at!

My biggest gripe with the Gamecube version is that you have to constantly eat to keep your strength up or else you can't be effective at all.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The PS2 version blows.

The PS1 version! That's where it's at!

Well, this certainly wasn't the franchise I'd expected to sow such discord.

Anyone (or everyone) care to weigh in on the subject of "only one game of Castlevania"? I haven't played any of them since 3. I think there may have been one or two since then.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
Anyone (or everyone) care to weigh in on the subject of "only one game of Castlevania"? I haven't played any of them since 3. I think there may have been one or two since then.

This is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to easy. Symphony of the Night is a game that everyone should play. Casltevania fan or not.

Then play Super Castlevania 4. Then play Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon, and Harmony of Dissonance. There's also a Playstation remake called Chronicles, a TurboDuo CD version called Rondo of Blood, and an SNES remake of the Turboduo version, all of which are too expensive to be worth tracking down. There's also 2 3D versions that are pretty unneccessary.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, to make it more simple than Wes did:

Symphony of the Night is the one to play. If you like that move on to Harmony of Dissonance or Aria of Sorrow (more people like the later). If you don't like the style and want more of a throw back go with Castlevania Chronicles (fantastic game here) and Rondo of Blood (unless you have gobs of money I say emulate it).

There are others, but those are the branches I would take.

SuperWes wrote:
There's also 4 3D versions that are pretty unneccessary.

Fixed
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rondo of blood owns all castlevania.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castlevania 3 is the peak of the series.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Simon's Quest much better than the other classic ones. 3 kind of bored me, after that.

-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will praise c2 in a single line of text.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

Funny you should mention that. The N64 port has some wonderful grammar gaffes in it, for sure, but I doubt anything could beat Harvest Moon: More Friends Of Mineral Town on GBA. My girlfriend has had it since the release, and there's a hilarious amount of dialogue that some translator apparently missed - it's still in Japanese! There were also quite a few moments where her character was referred to as "<palyername>" instead of the name she inputted. Nice little typo from the programming team.

Castlevania. As much as I hate to, I'm going to have to disagree strongly with Symphony Of The Night as the only Castlevania game to play. Now, don't get me wrong: Symphony Of The Night is an AMAZING game, and one of if not THE best installment of the series. I just think a lot of the enjoyment that can be gleaned from the game comes from being familiar with elements in the series previously. There's no reason, obviously, why you CAN'T play it first, though. Let me put it this way: If you were going to play TWO Castlevania games, I'd suggest first Castlevania Chronicles, then Symphony Of The Night. Chronicles is (here we go) essentially a port of the Sharp X68000 version which in turn was based on the Famicom version with updated graphics and a few added levels. It's the perfect old-skool Castlevania title: it still features the classic gameplay left behind in Symphony and those horrid GBA incarnations, yet it's graphically on par with Dracula X.
Dracula X would be my first choice for the Castlevania game you MUST play if it weren't so damned expensive. Outfitting yourself with a PC Engine, Super CD-ROM, and the game itself will easily put you back $250 or more. The Super NES/Famicom ports, though less expensive but not as amazing, are still pretty good - not definitive, though.

If you're willing to put up with the often frustrating difficulty and sometimes sluggish controls, then you must play Castlevania and Castlevania II on the NES. They're where it began, and the never get old. III was excellent as well, but these two are just classics.

Oh, and Dawn Of Sorrow on the DS is amazing as well. So I really didn't answer the question of "which Castlevania should I play if I play only one?" at all, then.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Outfitting yourself with a PC Engine, Super CD-ROM, and the game itself will easily put you back $250 or more.

everyone should already have a pc engine. emulation's the way to go with rondo anyway.

and dawn of sorrow is a terrible game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

no its not.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nICO wrote:
no its not.

yes it is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Times infinity!
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
everyone should already have a pc engine. emulation's the way to go with rondo anyway.

Yeah, the PC Engine is sadly the cheap part of the equation (and yes, everyone SHOULD already have one, be it Core, Shuttle, or even a freaking SuperGrafx). Chi No Rondo plays wonderfully on most PCE emulators, but it's just not the same. Plus, a home-burned CD-R isn't really something one can exhibit with pride in one's collection.

And I suppose we'll agree to disagree on Dawn Of Sorrow. Razz Heck, I could even recommend it as someone's first Castlevania game. While SOTN requires, in my opinion, at least a passing familiarity to the series to truely love it as it was meant to be loved, you can pick up Dawn Of Sorrow cold and still have a blast - there's enough classic Castlevania to delight veterans -- especially when comparisons to SOTN are drawn -- but it doesn't feel as much like you're being dropped right in the middle of some story. I didn't even play Aria Of Sorrow. SOTN, by comparison, works much better after at least playing Dracula X (or one of the 16-bit mutations). The whole soul collecting thing might give first timers the wrong idea about the series, though. Granted, I had fun hunting down those rare souls that gave a nice stat boost, but the whole thing DOES smack of "Gotta Catch 'Em All!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i happen to think soul collecting is the worst thing that ever happened to the castlevania series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: