The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Thoughts on Advent Children and more

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Your Thoughts on Advent Children and more Reply with quote

So I've seen the movie about 7 times already since my friend sent me a copy about two weeks ago. Brilliant, didn't let me down at all. Even though it was entirely in Japanese, I still caught the gist of it and understood a good 80% of the movie. So of course FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus is coming out next year, and I hear that another one for the PSP or DS might be in the works as well, all based on the Advent Children movie. It's sold VERY well in Japan, and when it finally comes out in the USA I bet it will sell well too.

That being said, what are you thoughts about the movie and upcoming games? FFX-2 was a real let down in terms of an overall gaming experience . . . hope the same isn't true for this follow up game.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy is mainstream. And therefore, crap.

You play much of the Shadow Hearts? Shin Megami Tensei? What's the last Nippon Ichi game you played?
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Fantasy has plenty of faults, but don't dump on it simply for the reason of being mainstream.

I'm not terribly sure about this, but I heard that the shin megami tensei series is the third top-selling series in Japan, which would make it decidedly non-obscure. Unless you're just trolling so then whatever. Final Fantasy is crap because people like it Cool

Also, how can a person judge a movie if they don't understand it? It's like watching Lord of the Rings dubbed in Sanskrit (me not knowing Sanskrit, of course). Except that the general consensus is that Advent Children is a crap movie with too much awkward product placement. With Lord of the Rings in Sanskrit, I could understand that there are elves and explosions, but that's not the only thing that made the movie so great.

Last edited by sawtooth on Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
Also, how can a person judge a movie if they don't understand it? It's like watching Lord of the Rings dubbed in Sanskrit (me not knowing Sanskrit, of course). Except that the general consensus is that Advent Children is a crap movie with too much awkward product placement. With Lord of the Rings in Sanskrit, I could understand that there are elves and explosions, but that's not the only thing that made the movie so great.

To understand this you also have to understand Ryan. Ryan is the type of person who records and edits together all of the CG sequences in Final Fantasy games. I've made fun of him for this plenty of times, but really it's just a difference of opinion. Ryan's the type of gamer that cares primarily about the Story/cutscenes in a game, so obviously Advent Children is going to be the perfect game for him. It's like a Final Fantasy game without that pesky thing called gameplay getting in the way.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad I can't think of a way to invert Wes' logo like bizarro Superman's flipped "S." It would make a good avatar for Ryan, I think.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mwahahaha!

-Wes
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
Final Fantasy has plenty of faults, but don't dump on it simply for the reason of being mainstream.

Before that, you would be well advised not to take Marco that seriously.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:

No, just VII through (current sequel or spin-off here).

sawtooth wrote:
I'm not terribly sure about this, but I heard that the shin megami tensei series is the third top-selling series in Japan, which would make it decidedly non-obscure.

After Dragon Quest, you would have Final Fantasy. Then after that would probably be Pokemon. I don't see SMT anywhere in the top five.

sawtooth wrote:

Well that depends. Did people talk and understand you before you spoke whatever language you first learned?

Mister Toups wrote:
sawtooth wrote:

If I was carrying a Foma 900-i phone and had some fucking sweet $400 designer sunglasses, would that be better? Would I be more "ccredible" and less "absurd"?

FUCK YOU TOUPS, and the horse you rode in on!
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that FF took a dive AFTER FF7, and then went up again with FFX . .. and then way back down again. The remakes of FF1 an 2 were good, and FF3 looks sweet as well.

And I did take Japanese for the equivalent of 3 years in college and I've been studying it ever since. I understood about 60% of the movie from my current knowledge, but the more complex stuff was way over my head . . . still a blast though. Besides, AC was an action movie. Do you REALLY need to know what they are saying??
wourme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Final Fantasy games, even the modern ones, but I have no plans to bother with 11, X-2, or Crystal Chronicles. I'm looking forward to 12 even though I haven't really read anything about it other than some FFT/Vagrant Story designers are working on it.

I saw Advent Children about a week ago with English subtitles. I ended up fast-forwarding most of it. (It was easy to keep up with the conversations even at 2x speed.) It had some pretty impressive parts but I don't see myself caring to see it again. I guess I felt about it the same way I felt about Spirits Within--technically impressive but forgettable and unnecessary.

Sort of a spoiler, but not really:
I also wanted to see more to the fights than just guns and swords. I would have preferred that they dispense with the story altogether and just have one long battle full of monsters, summons, and spells--I counted one summon and one variety of monster, both of which were pretty boring compared to many of those in the game.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

Too late :'(

DonMarco wrote:
sawtooth wrote:

No, just VII through (current sequel or spin-off here).

you're not making any sense, logically or (as far as I understand it) linguistically.

DonMarco wrote:

sawtooth wrote:
I'm not terribly sure about this, but I heard that the shin megami tensei series is the third top-selling series in Japan, which would make it decidedly non-obscure.

After Dragon Quest, you would have Final Fantasy. Then after that would probably be Pokemon. I don't see SMT anywhere in the top five.

You have a list? Can I see it? I'm looking around on the internet, and I can't find anything. All of my EGM magazines are at home, too. It'd be nice to have a site that compiled series rankings and stuff like that.

I found something else, though: 4 million copies of the series have been sold and range across platforms from NES to SNES, Playstation, PC Engine, Sega Saturn, and finally Playstation 2.

So it's not in the top 5. But it's certainly no niche title.

DonMarco wrote:

sawtooth wrote:

Well that depends. Did people talk and understand you before you spoke whatever language you first learned?

Are you trying to prove something? A person's comprehension and appreciation of a language is diminished by that person not knowing that language.

Ryan - SuperWes' Ban wrote:
Besides, AC was an action movie. Do you REALLY need to know what they are saying??

True enough. (...because I'll accept it when you make a direct point, as opposed to DonMarco asking silly questions) And since you know a lot of the language, that's all well and good too.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advent Children was fucking awful.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I have a feeling the meeting went like this:

Minutes of a Post- FF: The Spirits Within Meeting wrote:
Squenix Boss: Right. The Spirits Within was a total flop. Why?
Lackey: Audiences couldn't identify with it. We were relying on brand association, but the content was too... different.
Squenix Boss: Okay. So for our next film, we should base it on one of our existing products. What's our most popular FF game?
Someone: Final Fantasy 7.
Squenix Boss: Excellent. Give me a list of what they liked about it.
Lackey: Uhh... *consults list* the battle of wills between Cloud of Sephiroth... the bike battle scene... the dark shadow of Shinra reaching out across the globe... Aeris' death struck a major emotional chord... and the bishonen characters were really popular with the ladies.
Squenix Boss: Right! Well, take all that stuff and put it in a film. Job done!
Someone: But.. but sir! Sephiroth is dead! Shinra has been destroyed! Hell, we were kind of implying in the ending sequence that all human life had been devoured by the Lifestream!
Squenix Boss: I SAID "JOB DONE!" I DON'T CARE ABOUT THESE PISSY LITTLE DETAILS! IF THEY'RE DEAD, BRING THEM BACK! IF THEY'RE NOT BISHONEN, LEAVE THEM OUT! I WANT PEOPLE FIGHTING ON MOTORBIKES ALL THE WAY THROUGH! JUST DO IT!

I think you can tell how I felt about much of the plot. I think what I resented most was the way that they undid everything I had fought so hard to achieve when I was playing the game. Fuck off, [Squenix-employed scriptwriter]. Fuck right off.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
With Lord of the Rings in Sanskrit, I could understand that there are elves and explosions, but that's not the only thing that made the movie so great.

Except I personally hated it, and in fact would place it at the top of my "worst films of all time list", AND! I saw it in English.

The film trilogy was basically 10 hours of nothing much happening. It should have been edited down to at most three... actually, don't let me start on this. I could easily launch into a 12 page diatribe on why it's the worst series of films to have ever been made.

Also, I never read the books. Razz

Looking forward to Advent Children though.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to get you started on this, but it's really besides the point. I was just choosing it as an example. In your mind, replace it with your most favorite film of all time.

And read the LoTR books, too. You'd understand a little better. I don't think the movie is for the people who never read the books.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not in that meeting, and I resent these allegations!
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
Advent Children was fucking awful.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I have a feeling the meeting went like this:

Minutes of a Post- FF: The Spirits Within Meeting wrote:
Squenix Boss: Right. The Spirits Within was a total flop. Why?
Lackey: Audiences couldn't identify with it. We were relying on brand association, but the content was too... different.
Squenix Boss: Okay. So for our next film, we should base it on one of our existing products. What's our most popular FF game?
Someone: Final Fantasy 7.
Squenix Boss: Excellent. Give me a list of what they liked about it.
Lackey: Uhh... *consults list* the battle of wills between Cloud of Sephiroth... the bike battle scene... the dark shadow of Shinra reaching out across the globe... Aeris' death struck a major emotional chord... and the bishonen characters were really popular with the ladies.
Squenix Boss: Right! Well, take all that stuff and put it in a film. Job done!
Someone: But.. but sir! Sephiroth is dead! Shinra has been destroyed! Hell, we were kind of implying in the ending sequence that all human life had been devoured by the Lifestream!
Squenix Boss: I SAID "JOB DONE!" I DON'T CARE ABOUT THESE PISSY LITTLE DETAILS! IF THEY'RE DEAD, BRING THEM BACK! IF THEY'RE NOT BISHONEN, LEAVE THEM OUT! I WANT PEOPLE FIGHTING ON MOTORBIKES ALL THE WAY THROUGH! JUST DO IT!

I think you can tell how I felt about much of the plot. I think what I resented most was the way that they undid everything I had fought so hard to achieve when I was playing the game. Fuck off, [Squenix-employed scriptwriter]. Fuck right off.

I think comparing Advent Children to FF:TSW is like comparing apples to oranges. TSW was made solely for a mainstream audience, and that audience was American. AC had the Japanese audience in mind when they made the movie which makes your argument a little off. And how did they undoe everything you played for in FFVII? WHat did you think was going to be the most logical next step in the game towards the end? FF6 had the best story of any game, and I think 7 was a close second. FFVIII on the other hand bothered the hell out of me. The final boss and last disk was so freaking random . . . that game made no sense whatsoever . . . and FF9 was a cliched piece of junk with pretty graphics for the PSOne
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some review I read wrote:
The movie is classic "Final Fantasy" all the way with its big swords, spiky hair, extravagant fashions, adolescent isolationism, emotional dysfunction, extreme violence, stylistically exagerrated combat, misplaced juvenile goofiness, fantasy wish fulfillment, heart-wrenching heroism, and naïve innocence.

This sounds like the archetype for every single action movie ever.

It's not an American-Japanese thing. The Spirits Within flopped everywhere. It didn't seem to fit in well with the spirit of the games. Square Enix realized their mistake in trying to appeal to a non-gamer audience. So Advent Children is just fanservice. Which might explain why you're so ardent to defend it.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those that think FFAC is good are those fans that have been serviced..

as for i.. it did not service me at all.

i feel, as well as others, that FF7 killed all of its own awesomeness when they left midgar. so naturally, a movie made mostly of the crap from the rest of the game would not work for me.

regarding the canonized game series from the seventh and onward, i feel they try hard to reach a bunch of specific mainstream demographics while trying to keep the game, atmosphere, and narrative working together with it... unfortunately, they arent good at it so it falls apart on one end or the other... such as FF9 which mainly targeted the classical FF conniseurs and didnt do much to to reach other demographics.. and the atmosphere was very dry too...

i beleive that the FF series should stop using prerendered cutscenes alltogether...

etc etc etc <insert more incoherent crap here> etc etc...
dark steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From this and the FFXII demo, I think Square should just sack their entire art department
Sushi d

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
From this and the FFXII demo, I think Square should just sack their entire art department

its not just their art department that needs sacking, i would like to have a spiteful word or two with the designers of this game.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:

Who should take over instead? I'd like to see a few designers/illustrators do a reinterpretation of the Final Fantasy worlds and characters.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a more productive expenditure of effort would be to make things that just aren't Final Fantasy. Not that I have fundamental issues with FF, but what's the point? I'm alarmed that the series is as long-running as it already is.

To be fair they do only have a few consistent details between games. Square could probably make anything and call if Final Fantasy if they wanted to.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:

You know what? I hate Amano. Seriously, I just despise everything he's ever put on paper.

I know he's not doing the art design for this stuff. I just wanted to throw it out there.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
To be fair they do only have a few consistent details between games. Square could probably make anything and call if Final Fantasy if they wanted to.

see: final fantasy tactics, final fantasy tactics advance, final fantasy crystal chronicles, final fantasy snowboarding.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My objection is that the whole talent pool just seems too inbred. The attempt at a sprawling, unified aesthetic that's been going on since at least VI or VII has been getting progressively more monstrous and needs to be cut off at the knees.

And yeah, shelving the whole franchise for a few years wouldn't hurt anyone.

(Also I kinda like the first FF Tactics)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

square should just make bushido blade its flagship franchise.

re-releasing internal section wouldn't hurt either.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See those games are actually made by Lightweight, is yet another problem. And the last one turned into Kabuki Fighters.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
My objection is that the whole talent pool just seems too inbred. The attempt at a sprawling, unified aesthetic that's been going on since at least VI or VII has been getting progressively more monstrous and needs to be cut off at the knees.

And yeah, shelving the whole franchise for a few years wouldn't hurt anyone.

(Also I kinda like the first FF Tactics)

I totally agree. It needs fresh air. It's been getting stagnant since FFVII. And yeah, I WAS serviced by Advent Children . . . but not sexually like all you guys are thinking . . . I'm not THAT bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: