The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do Voice Actors suck?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Why do Voice Actors suck? Reply with quote

While the quality has definitely been upped as of late, the English counterparts to Japanese games are severly lacking in quality voice overs and actors. Do you think the English versions will ever match up with the Japanese ones once translated? And can you name a handful of games where the voices were actually done WELL?? Even a game like FFX was far from perfect.

Please enlighten me with your experiences.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you still here?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the voice actors in Sacrifice. Stratos sounds vaguely like Tim Curry, and the lead character has this great overwrought Clint Eastwoodesque grittiness. Well, like a really wordy Clint Eastwood.

I don't really play many Japanese games, so there you go.

EDIT: Quotes mess up URL tags! The more you know...

Last edited by Lackey on Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

House of the Dead 2 has pretty good voicework.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castle of Shikigami 2 might be the best localization of all time.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you talk about the translated games and home grown games (such as Grand Theft Auto and the Legacy of Kain series which have done decent jobs) then there is no contest. Some games on the PSOne really hurt to listen to they were so bad. PS2 has done better, but only with the creamiest of the crop . .. like MGS3. I guess not everybody can afford the good people. Then again, even the good companies drop bombs sometime.

Another decent Localization was Xenosaga. Not too bad in my opinion.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Americans don't have souls. Why do you think they got Brits for Siren and DQVIII?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

98.2% of voice acting sucks, according to recent survey data by the Professional Voice Performers Guild of British Columbia.

what i don't understand is why people who don't speak japanese think the japanese voiceovers are better. or rather, how you're making that distinction. you're only missing an entire universe of nuance.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hell. How could I forget?

Download "The Alien Zit" for the best voice acting in a videogame ever done by 12-year-olds on a sugar high.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in the intonation (sp??) of somebody's voice. I feel that in both Video games and ANime Japanese have a better grasp of the emotion they are trying to convey, but some of that is lost in American releases . . . a painful reminder is Legend of Dragoon. I know it's an older game, but the voice acting was so lame it marred the great cinematic sequences.

Brits definitely have an upper hand in voice acting I believe . . . especially the classically trained ones that did Shakespeare. More often than not, the American voice actors are just regular actors that are there to sell their name rather than to make a good game. Kingdom Hearts is an example of that type of marketing. Haley Joel Osment, Lance Bass, Mandy Moore, David Boreanz .... etc. .. there were definitely better choices out there . . .and with Square's budget they could have gotten better ...
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Voice-actors usually aren't paid as well as visible actors, which means that better actors tend to move up to the lower levels of television and film.
  2. Game voice-acting can be very different than other voice-acting, and it doesn't appeal to many better actors who are already trying to pay the rent with a one-line role on Scrubs. Spending a day trying to make different sounds for being hit with different weapons in different parts of the body can be rough.
  3. If the actors are required to sync with preexisting animation, it greatly limits the ability of an actor to create an organic performance. Pauses are dictated by when lips move or don't move, and freedom can only be granted when the camera is looking elsewhere.
  4. Translations that strip away the undertones of culture and language without any replacement are tinny to start with, and there are few actors or directors who can salvage a good performance based on them.
  5. The only people who seem to tell me that Japanese voice-acting is fantastic are people who don't speak Japanese. It remains my suspicion that the majority of acting in Japan isn't notably better than the acting in America.
I'm enjoying the voice acting in Killer7. The Smiths have well-developed characters and distinct styles and rhythms. So far, I've only had a problem with the accent of Ulmeyda, which didn't connect precisely with any dialect I'm familiar with. (I'm ignoring the voice work by Metallus, though.)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what i don't understand is why people who don't speak japanese think the japanese voiceovers are better. or rather, how you're making that distinction. you're only missing an entire universe of nuance.

I have said it before and I will say it again: I would rather listen to someone who might be getting it right in japanese and miss the nuance than listen to someone obviously horrid in a language I perfectly comprehend, who butchers the nuance.

Also, mostly I can get the right emoitions from tone of voice.

EDIT: Killer 7 did have good voice acting mostly. DQ8 also has some pretty good voice acting. It may not be the most beliveable voices, but the actors take every role dead serious, no matter how silly they have to make themselves. Siren was horrible though.

Oh, how can I forget, Shadow of the Colossus had perfect voice acting.

And, I like Parappa's.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I have said it before and I will say it again: I would rather listen to someone who might be getting it right in japanese and miss the nuance than listen to someone obviously horrid in a language I perfectly comprehend, who butchers the nuance.

Plus there's at least some credibility associated with Japanese VA in a Japanese game. And there's the perception that translation has been handled badly in most games.

But I think American Voice Actors have a bad reputation that's just barely starting to come around-- probably because localizers realized they could sell their games to more people if the voice acting was shaped up. I mean, for all the criticism I have for God of War, a lot of the voice acting was pretty well done. Granted, one recent bad example comes to mind-- Soul Calibur 2's Astaroth had laughable acting, to the point that even though the Japanese track was present, my wife would switch it to English just to hear his pre-match speech. Ugh.

Anime's the same way. It's historically been dubbed into English awfully and without sensitivity, but there are some that are just perfect, like Cowboy Bebop.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I care far less about quality of voice acting than I do about on-screen text presentation. in far too many games the text populates the screen just a tiny bit too slowly for my tastes. For me this can make a game nearly unplayable. The first thing I do when I play any text-heavy game is hit the options screen and up the text display speed.

It's another pet peeve of mine when a game has you press the button once to advance to the next screen of text where it starts scrolling the text way too slow for anyone to read it and then requires you to press the button again to have the text pop into place. That drives me crazy! I always end up skipping something because one of the lines was too short.

And this also goes back to the voice acting thing. My biggestissue with voice acting is that I can read the text in the screen faster than the actor can say his lines. So I always end up just reading ahead and flipping through their lines. This is happening all the time in Dragon Quest and I think it's driving my girlfriend's sister (who's been watching me play because she likes the voice acting) crazy.

Someone else talk about how Phoenix Write handles text presentation better than any other game ever.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
And this also goes back to the voice acting thing. My biggestissue with voice acting is that I can read the text in the screen faster than the actor can say his lines. So I always end up just reading ahead and flipping through their lines. This is happening all the time in Dragon Quest and I think it's driving my girlfriend's sister (who's been watching me play because she likes the voice acting) crazy.

Yea, I don't like how you still have to progress through the text boxes with a button with the voice acting in DQ8. In order to try to make it seem more natural in the flow of the spoken word for the game I try to not read the text and just hit the button at a pause in the voice to move on. If you have played the game you will know that frequently these pauses will happen with some text left to speak from the text box. I wish there was a natural progression option for the text flow with speaking parts.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

Someone else talk about how Phoenix Write handles text presentation better than any other game ever.

Objection! I'd prefer it if I could speed through the dialogue the first time through.
Karoshi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working with a studio engineer for the last few months, in hopes of one day lending my sultry, smokey voice to SOME kind of game. I've done a few radio spots since then.
According to my peers within the voice over industry, video games aren't looked upon as a viable option for work as development studios and localization teams tend to look within thier own companies for "talent". Example: that lady who edited Nintendo Power as THE voice for Peach.
The exceptions to this rule are those few big budget mediocre titles that get "big name actors" to lend a hand, or the clique of voice actors who do EVERYTHING.
I'm talking about Cam Clarke, Jen Hale, Terry Dobson . . .all the folks up in Toronto.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad I have no interest in playing The Godfather, it seems like it is going to have good voice talent.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Leonard Nimoy was a pretty great choice of narrator for Civ 4.

It can't be too difficult to get former Star Trek cast members. I'd love to play a game narrated by George Takei.

(I just looked this up and he actually has been a voice actor in games. Figures.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: