The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is anyone getting Demon's Souls?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Is anyone getting Demon's Souls? Reply with quote

My copy should arrive tomorrow. I'm excited about it because of word of mouth, but all of the trailers and gameplay videos I've seen make it look atrocious. If I don't like it I'm blaming your mouth. My name on PSN is SuperWes BTW. Add me if you haven't already.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hours later and I've beaten the first level. It's an interesting game simply because it's so totally unforgiving. If you mess, you have to replay the level. Messing up could be something as small as forgetting to heal, hitting a trap, or falling off of a ledge. So you've got to always be on your guard and ready for something to try and kill you. What makes this ok is how you can watch bloodstain videos of people who died before you for there and read notes about how to deal with situations. After I hit the mid-way point of level 1 I figured out how to effectively use these and I didn't actually die again at all.

I'm still put off by the mostly generic fantasy style, but the boss was really amazing. If the game starts throwing more enemies like him at me I can see my distaste for the art direction being turned around completely.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have yet to beat any levels after the first one, but I'm digging the crap out of the game. It's hard as hell, but it feels fair, and every time you die you learn something new, so progress is always happening even when it's not being rewarded.

-Wes
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us updated, wes

i will not be playing this game so i will live it through you

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 hours in I've only killed 1.5 other bosses. The second one was a flying dragon in the middle of a level that I would have assumed was invincible had the strategy guide not told me otherwise. The best part about killing him was the realization that arrows are super effective. After beating him I went on to take down a mini-boss in another stage using almost nothing but arrows.

I was planning on playing the game as a pure swordsman, but now that I've had the taste of ranged weapons and magic I'm considering doing a Jack-of-all-trades thing.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 hours in. I'm Soul Level 33 and I'm getting kind of overpowered. My guy automatically regenerates health now. I took out the 1-2 and 2-1 bosses on my first try and now I'm grinding through 4-1 to get 50000 souls and buy a ring that ups the number of dropped souls. I'm greedy like that.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've spent too much time grinding. I'm soul level 38 and I just beat 3-1. It was difficult, but mostly because I kept running out of arrows and had to take the boss on using an enchanted sword. It felt good when it was over!

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: