The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where the hell did Pinball come from?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Where the hell did Pinball come from? Reply with quote

So I was at Best Buy last night finally picking up Shadow of the Colossus (which I did not get to play) and I saw that they changed out the DS demo from Nintendogs to... something. I go over, grab the DS and hit start. 'Pinball, neat. O, this is that Metroid Prime Pinball, neat.'

I had pretty much forgotten this game was coming out and had no plans/desire to purchase it. 5 min pass and my wife reminded me that we need to go to get to dinner on time and I should be buying a game not playing one. What a novel idea, I should buy this. I mean, I could use it as an excuse to test the Rumble Pack add on (which is not very rumbly).

So, this game is really fun. It feels like it was made by someone who wanted to make an excellent pinball game but had to do it within a license. There are little bits of; wall jumping, shooting and bombing. All are mixed in perfectly with the pinball theme as bonus games that are brief. Also, don't even try to use the stylus for the game, you can't, at all, they disabled touch sensitivity.

The screen layout is almost perfect for a pinball game. It feels like a double deck pool table for the most part. I am not a master Pinball gamer, but the physics seem much better than other pinball. The theme of Metroid is mixed in quite well and nothing really seems forced, even the music is fantastic.

It makes me wonder what I have been missing since I last played Devil's Crush. I know that I was interested in Pinball of the Dead (GBA) and Akira Pinball (PS2?). Are either of these good? Are either of these difficult to get? Anyways, I almost completely overlooked this game, if you were interested perhaps you should take a look.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon Pinball is pretty great. Pinball of the Dead was good. Sonic Pinball Party's not bad. Revenge of the Gator was awesome.

Mario Pinball is questionable. It's great in concept but terrible in execution. I think Metroid Pinball is by the same team, but from what I hear it's been made a bit better. I'll probably pick it up despite there being 100 other games I want this week. Apparently the touch screen is used to tilt the table. Huh?

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario pinball, aside from being pretty tedious and rather un-pinball-like, is really ugly. i've gotten the same impression of metroid pinball - but that could be just because it's metroid prime pinball.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinball of the Dead was great, not good.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
mario pinball, aside from being pretty tedious and rather un-pinball-like, is really ugly. i've gotten the same impression of metroid pinball - but that could be just because it's metroid prime pinball.

This game is no where near as bad as Mario Pinball. Nowhere. Leagues off.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

This game is no where near as bad as Mario Pinball. Nowhere. Leagues off.

I played it briefly at EB today and even though I had been underwhelmed by seeing screen shots of it, it looks so nice I'll probably end up getting it since it was so much fun. If it helps, just try to forget that it's a licensed pinball game, and just consider it generic 'sci fi' pinball. And yeah, nothing at all like Mario Pinball, which was thoroughly craptacular in most respects.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never quite got the love for Pinball of the Dead, other than just the points for the camp of another "... of the dead" game. I prefered Pokemon, and thought it fit a Pinball structure better.

Mario Pinball, in my 5 minutes with it, was way to minimal, disjointed and lateral. I mean, who the fuck thought to make wide pinball stages?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of the best pinball videogame ever, i'm trying to track down a devil crash hucard. hot tips would be appreciated!
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Metroid Prime pinball at Electronics Boutique. It was surprisingly not bad!

I... think I'm going to review it for Large Prime Number! Tim style, I'll play the entire game at EB. THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
I'll play the entire game at EB. THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!

That'll be somewhat difficult. My 3.3mil score was made over about a 30 min peroid of time and I still did not see all the levels.
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. The game is good. I shoved it into Agnes's reluctant hands, and then she wouldn't give me back the DS.

I'd take one more mode of play, just for posterity. What's there is good, though.

Curious that pinball is still called "pinball" even though it's not pachinko anymore, when pachinko is called "pachinko", which I suspect is onomatopoeia. Someone should swap the names.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinball of the Dead has crap physics and the table design felt unresolved.
GSL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So overall, Metroid Prime Pinball is a decent purchase, then? I'm just about done reading Murakami's Pinball, 1973 and have been feeling the severe jones for some flipper action. The DS, as wondrously beautiful and awesome as it is, is obviously no replacement for a real table, but at least I don't have to hunt for quarters. Makes me want to bust out Sonic Spinball again...

And what's the verdict on the Rumble Pack? I've heard differing reports that all seem to fall within the range from "total crap" to "really, really scary in the noises it makes."

Dessgeega: eBay would most likely be your best bet for Devil Crash - this one seems reasonably priced at the moment.
Also, it's not Devil Crash, but New York-based Akiba Games has Alien Crush for a measly ten dollars. Unless you were looking for the TurboGrafx versions; then these PC Engine titles will be no help at all.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say this is my favourite DS game so far.

The boss battles are excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karoshi wrote:
Pinball of the Dead has crap physics and the table design felt unresolved.

Pinball of the Dead is something you play for context instead of execution. It's good as a game that reinvisions the House of the Dead 2 world as a pinball game, but it's not quite as well-put-together as House of the Dead. It's not a bad purchase in my mind.

Metroid Prime Pinball is a good Pinball game with great physics, uneven table difficulty and a gimmicy rumble feature. The gimmicy rumble is a fun gimmic that doesn't really enhance the gameplay much, but it's not bad as far as gimmics go. It's a worthy purchase almost any time of year, but it's mid-November now and there are too many great purchases right now to consider it a must-have.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Dessgeega: eBay would most likely be your best bet for Devil Crash - this one seems reasonably priced at the moment.

thanks, but i picked up devil crash quite some time ago! my current high score is 35,456,000.

also i can't really stand alien crush. giger-inspired pinball just isn't my thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, my bad - guess I should pay closer attention to the dates on previous posts!
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

And what's the verdict on the Rumble Pack? I've heard differing reports that all seem to fall within the range from "total crap" to "really, really scary in the noises it makes."

You know what? I really like it. I think people are so accustomed to the overuse of whomping console rumble that they don't appreciate it. Between this and Wario Ware Twisted I think the DS/GBA houses the best rumble since ICO. It's not about force feedback as in "OH NO THE MISSILE HIT'S YOUR FACE" as it is a simple tactile affirmation of contact. It's really more clicky than rumbly anyway. I mean, it's pinball, not Psycho Mantis.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:

It is really, really scary. The first time I heard it I thought something was malfunctioning inside the system. It also drains the battery really hard. I am not a fan of it overall. It is a needless addition which I would have rather had $5 off the game.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so now that i have devil crash and psycho pinball, the pinball trinity is nearly complete. all i need is kaze's necronomicon for the saturn. has anyone played it?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the pinball trinity is nearly complete

Odama(?sp) for the PS2 interests me a lot. I don't even know why. By principal and concept alone I should mock myself for thinking the game could be fun.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Odama(?sp) for the PS2 interests me a lot. I don't even know why. By principal and concept alone I should mock myself for thinking the game could be fun.

Odama was amazing a few years ago at E3, but not so much last year. It seems like they're overcomplicating the game by adding in voice recognition as a gimmic in order to sell copies and appear more complete.

I'm sure it'll still be worth getting, but it's a shame that they couldn't just leave it simple and release it at a lower price.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my knowledge of videogame pinball begins and ends at the Epic Pinball Android demo table.

Oh, and that Time Cruise one for TG-16.

Last edited by Lackey on Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
that Time Cruise one for TG-16.

how did i miss this?

playing devil crash, probably.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like Darius cover art/font.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Cruise 2 is excellent. It's the only Pinball game I know with an overworld, and also, it has all these strange demo-scenish effects and a trippy sound mode that sequences floating balls to the music.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so now that i have devil crash and psycho pinball, the pinball trinity is nearly complete. all i need is kaze's necronomicon for the saturn. has anyone played it?

Yes I have and it's fantastic. Music by Dream Theater! Minutes of the cheesiest FMV you've ever seen... skulls and candles! woooo! And it has the best physics of any pinball game I've ever played. Highly recommended AAA++++++++++++.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, i'm getting a copy.

only my saturn seems to have vanished in transport.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Flipnic yet!

Necronomicon is pretty damned sharp, too, although my personal favorite video pinball games are still the Pro Pinball ones... anyone familiar with 'em?

Last edited by JasonMoses on Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Odama was amazing a few years ago at E3, but not so much last year. It seems like they're overcomplicating the game by adding in voice recognition as a gimmic in order to sell copies and appear more complete.

I'm sure it'll still be worth getting, but it's a shame that they couldn't just leave it simple and release it at a lower price.

Wait, so am I to take it Odama's a) getting released for the PS2, not the GC, and b) costing $30-50? Something seems wrong with this picture.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Wait, so am I to take it Odama's a) getting released for the PS2, not the GC.

No, Shaper doesn't know what he's talking about. It's a Gamecube exclusive.

simplicio wrote:
b) costing $30-50? Something seems wrong with this picture.

I'd be surprised if it costs less than $50. Nintendo published games rarely sell for below that, and Odama's going to come with a microphone and microphone controller strap thingy to hold the mic to the top of the controller.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought I'd just be playing it on my bongos. So it's going to require a second controller port then too? What a pain.

I may pick up Chibi Robo first then.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
No, Shaper doesn't know what he's talking about. It's a Gamecube exclusive.

Really? huh. I could have sworn I read PS2 somewhere.
Oh well. Not that big a deal.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Flipnic yet!

Necronomicon is pretty damned sharp, too, although my personal favorite video pinball games are still the Pro Pinball ones... anyone familiar with 'em?

Pro-Pinball: The Web is amazing stuff. I couldn't get into Flipnic.... the controls are way too unresponsive to me after playing Metroid Prime Pinball.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, necronomicon.

if you don't think pinball with cthulhu is the greatest idea ever, it's only because you think pinball with the devil is the greatest idea ever, and i can't judge you too harshly.

this is some fine pinball. when i got my first six-ball multiball i was laughing like a madperson.

whether i shouted "tekili-li!" i will leave to the reader to determine.

the only thing nearly as excellent as the pinball is this game's sound design, which features a narrator intoning lines like "far away a temple stands. far away in the dreamlands".

final analysis: fhtagn!
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
final analysis: fhtagn!

http://home.earthlink.net/~cyberangelz/CTHUVIAN.htm

so what's the connection between the ancient ones and pinball?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, now I think Necronomicon sounds awesome.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, yes, i made a video featuring all my favorite video pins.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!

I think I was expecting something a little more over the top from Necronomicon.
B coma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever game that was where the screen was tracking the ball looks like it might be difficult - especially during MUTLIBALL MADNESS - but perhaps the clean layout helps with that. Neat video, I sure wish my tv card didn't suck for recording so I could make things like that.

Anyhow, to chime in on this thread (in a late fashion), I hadn't seriously played pinball games since... NES Pinball and Revenge of the Gator, the latter of which I really enjoyed. Perhaps I stayed away from them because of the glut of generic looking PC ones I've been exposed to over the years.

Well, I picked up Metroid Prime Pinball, and I'm quite impressed. How it integrates the license is really pretty shocking, in the way that it everything that happens seems totally logical if you're a veteran of any game in the main series. It kicks the crap out of something like Sonic Spinball in that department, even. I also like how it emulates the look of a real life board (tilted viewing angle, traditional pinball board setups) but integrates the videogame tradition so well (weapon reserves, player health) ... which is incidentally something I look for in Pinball games, because I'm total suck at real pinball.
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, you need Pro Pinball: The Web for your saturn.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever mess around with Visual Pinball? It's quite a solid program, I'd like to find some good tables.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Anyone ever mess around with Visual Pinball?

i've seen it a bunch of times, but i'm always too daunted to try it out.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Visual Pinball, Visual PinMAME is also seriously awesome.

I've gotta try out Theatre of Magic, one of these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so my father bought metroid prime pinball, to play on my mother's flame-red ds, and i got the opportunity to give it a play.

the rumble pack is...not a rumble pack? it's more like a weird jolt pack. i took it out and started a new game and managed to collect 11 artifacts (whatever that means).

it played pretty well, despite its ugliness. i'll probably play it again! (also, the ds version of bust a move/puzzle bobble, which my mother bought for her flame-red ds, uses the touch screen fairly well.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
(also, the ds version of bust a move/puzzle bobble, which my mother bought for her flame-red ds, uses the touch screen fairly well.)

I <3ed it at E3. I'm a big fan of slingshots.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, i just cleared metroid prime pinball for the first time (saw the staff roll). i like this game more than i anticipated i would.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
anyway, i just cleared metroid prime pinball for the first time (saw the staff roll). i like this game more than i anticipated i would.

See!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, you sly dog you : teh pinball. Nice
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Dess, you sly dog you : teh pinball. Nice

i am somewhat mysterious! also, checking this site, it seems jiji has ported robotfindskitten to psp. double awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: