The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MMOs are... cultured?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: MMOs are... cultured? Reply with quote

The Escapist on why being The Matrix is why The Matrix Online is... cool?

Quote:
The game appealed to these guys because it represented something extremely familiar to them. They could quickly and easily identify with the setting and style. They played Star Wars Galaxies because Star Wars is ubiquitous. They played MXO because they dug it. It was visually dope, hip, cool, tight and splendidly designed. And although the game itself has faltered on the tightrope of internet criticism, the fact remains that - unlike most MMOGs - The Matrix Online took an important step in connecting with communities who are not usually catered to. My thoughts?

Do it more.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay? I guess different games will appeal to different subcultures. That makes sense.
player 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you listen to the first 5 seconds of a song and then make a judgment?

This is the same culture that Madden appeals to (partially). That, and it's an MMORPG that caters to something more transcendental than level grinding, power mongering, etc. etc. I'm fairly certain that it's a big deal when a game that caters to hip hop kids in a genre normally made for "geeky, white kids" that appeals on a, dare i say it, artistic level is pretty f-ing revolutionary.

_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do. after five seconds everyone knows that, for example, the arcade fire = rusted root.

compare the first five seconds of "they schools" by dead prez with any bad white backpacker rap (i.e. all of it).

sometimes you can judge a book by its cover fonts.

regardless, one of the signs of the barzunian decadence of our age is the constant use of the word "culture" to describe any group of 3 or more people who have the same hobby. it's a prevalent disease, borne out of the white supremecism of the early 20th century, but damn if it's not innacurate.

aren't there a few mmorpgs that cater to non-gamer types? or at the very least, not non-level grinding rpg type games? more of an online community thing and less of the "i am lothar of the hill people" stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. All of those are niche computer nerd things. I'm tempted to say they're not popular, but really, they're just not impactual.

_Marcel Duchamp
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I used to play a lot of MMORPGs, mostly looking for something that wasn't there. Hell, I played Star Wars Galaxies too. But you know what? I never played them because I was looking for level grinding or power mongering. I suppose this is why I never got very far, or played any one for very long. I was mostly hoping that playing with other people would make the game a less solitary experience, and that maybe I could get a thrill out of some genuine competition or exploration.

I guess I'm saying that it's a dissapointingly underexplored genre.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanna talk about disappointing? i just played counter strike for the first time on sunday. shit.

everquest and the sims seemed to have had, at one point, a fair amount of non-computer-nerds into them, at least based on people i'd talked to who played. it sort of surprised me, since i'd think the whole process is a bit chunky for a non technician type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: