The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Stranger... Whatcha Buyin'?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Hey Stranger... Whatcha Buyin'? Reply with quote

Now you're reading with Portable Power. The Gamer's Quarter online store is now fully functional!

Reading online is fun, but now you're ready to take it to the next level with this affordable and attractive printed version of The Gamer's Quarter #3. This issue features 128 digitally printed black-and-white pages with a sturdy full-color, perfect bound cover, printed by Johnson Printing Service. In case you forgot, our magazine is, in fact, a fantastically good read, and should be on every coffee table. In fact, I would give TGQ coffee table priority above an actual cup of coffee!

Copies are shipping now for only $5 USD. Don’t forget to pick up a couple buttons or stickers while you’re at the store.

Supplies are limited, so point your browser to shop.gamersquarter.com and order today!

Gaming journalism has never been so new... or affordable.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Stranger... Whatcha Buyin'? Reply with quote

The Gamer's Quarter Online Store wrote:
Shipping for orders over $5 (A book plus a few Stickers and Buttons):
within us: $1.50
canada & overseas: $2.00

Shipping for orders under $5 (Just a few Stickers and Buttons):
within us: $.50
canada & overseas: $.75

And if a person is buying only the book, the cost of which is neither over nor under $5?

Also, add some periods and uppercase letters, unless we expect customers to be living in our bowels.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent off my order. $13 dollars is like 4 hours of working at EB, goddammit.

Also!! I linked you all again

EDIT!!!

Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when can i send you twelve dollars for the first two issues
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethoscapade wrote:
when can i send you twelve dollars for the first two issues

To be honest, that kind of depends on how many people buy issue 3. If we sell out by the time the next issue comes out we'll more than likely offer hard copies of issues 1 and 2 in some form.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my print copy today. Looks very nice--I especially like the size.

I've been putting off reading many of the articles in all three issues because I don't especially like reading things on a screen (especially in PDF format).

I don't know how much marketing you've done and how much demand you're currently seeing, but I also hope that you're able to print the first two issues.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine in the mail today. When are the buttons shipping out?
ninjaboyjohn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Package came in the mail yesterday. Finally I can read the GQ while on the pot without having to print out vast amounts of laserjet pages.

Anyway, thanks!

The stickers are cool too, if a little small. They look nice on my sticker door though.
xvs07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. No package so far. Has anybody else who ordered not received anything yet?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:

Yes, there are a few people who have not received theirs yet. We were told it could take up to 3 weeks to receive (which we put on the shop page) and we did not ship out the first order until the day of the 26th. All orders have been shipped within a week or the order placement. So you should be getting it late next week at the worst. I am considering raising the price of shipping so that we can get these into people's hands faster. Any opinions on raising shipping to include that?
xvs07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder. I'm really not at all impatient, it's just that my grasp of time is tenuous at best. If faster, pricier shipping had been available I wouldn't have used it, but maybe there are others who would want the option.

Edit: On the other hand... I expect I will feel differently should subscriptions become available for purchase.
showka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how anyone who's had to wait might prefer a price hike to get a faster shipping time, but I think the fairly low price encouraged me to get an issue. I generally enjoy the parts I've read in Gamer's Quarter, but reading it in Adobe PDF Viewer is so frustrating it makes me want to stop so I generally don't read them thoroughly (though I really enjoyed the article about Seiklus in issue 2 - you guys should do one on Cave Story!). As a result, I ordered Issue 3 on kind of a whim, and might've been less likely if it was nine dollars or more. Since you have to wait three months between issues anyway, I'd think waiting a few extra weeks wouldn't be that big a deal, especially since the writing in Gamers Quarter strikes me as a bit deeper and less timely than other magazines.

The only raise in price I'd currently tolerate is one to make the thing full color, though the option of printing a full color mag would probably make things off the charts expensive right now. Who knows, after I get this issue I might be willing to pay more for a quicker delivery.
Zack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came back from out of town and found the magazine waiting for me. It's a lot nicer to read away from the monitor, although my (cosplaying!) girlfriend laughed at me for buying what I could only describe as a "zine."

I don't like the feeling the the black text on the back cover, but that's a pretty small quibble.

Can you guys not do a bleed on internal pages, or were you not focused on that while laying out the magazine for web? Also, the watermark background thing on Tim's article is too dark. The pictures are generally a little dark for my taste, but I can accept that as a stylistic decision ... except when it obscures text.

Also, bigger inside margins, please. As is, reading is kind of inconvenient, and Persona's art really sufers.

Sorry!

Giving people the option of paying more for expedited shipping would be nice. I wouldn't opt for it, though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, color is really out of the question. Each issue would end up running about $15 (or more) a piece. I did not want the cost to get that high.

If we were to increase shipping costs it would only be by about $0.50 or $0.75, I have not looked too much into it, but it would be small. I really wanted to keep it at an "on-a-whim" price, you know, like the amount you have just sitting around in your paypal account.

As far as the bleed... yea, there is a lot that we were not expecting to be problems that came up with getting it printed. Bleed is something we have already worked into the new layout for better printing. The color (or darkness of the ink) is something that, well, we tried to take care of. What ended up was that we said the printer they were using to make up our second proof was leaving weird marks, so if they could just clear that up it would be perfect. Well, they changed printers or ink or something and it made all the work we did to lighten up the images null.

We now have contingency plans for converting images to black and white.

As far as the back cover and the text... I really don't know what to say. We really knew almost nothing about layout and printing and the magazine was only layed out for the web, which it worked well for. We have a new template to work with now which is much more printer friendly.

Overall we learned a lot from the final product and what to do next time. I thank you all for the support of purchase and promise that next time we will deliver an even better product.
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not got my stuff!

Next update in... a week?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

If we were to increase shipping costs it would only be by about $0.50 or $0.75, I have not looked too much into it, but it would be small.

Hey I was gonna buy the issue and stuff today, but now I want to know more about faster shipping. Reading this on the comp is no problem for me, but I like to have something to take with me to work and school to read.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevengraff wrote:
Hey I was gonna buy the issue and stuff today, but now I want to know more about faster shipping.

Well, the cost of faster shipping would not take effect until the next issue. I am temporarily upgrading shipping out of pocket for now just because of all the problems with media mail.
GSL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feedback (not that it really means a whole helluva lot) is a bit late in coming. What can I say? I'm lazy.

My issue arrived sometime... um... after the batch was said to ship, and before Halloween. Or maybe a day or two after. Either way, I was really impressed. Chalk it up to my not reading the description well, but I was under the impression that this would be a magazine-like release - albeit square-bound, but still prone to falling apart after a few weeks' heavy reading. To my utter delight, it came in this awesome little book format! I jumped for joy in my apartment and said, "I could put this on my bookshelf!"

And it's wonderful to have a physical copy of the magazine, too. Like almost everyone else here, my reading of TGQ is done in very small doses, as I'm not a creature made for recreational reading on a monitor. Consider this my firm pledge to support any and all future physical releases of TGQ.

I ordered two stickers with the issue, and I'm very impressed with their quality as well. The only problem is deciding what to put them on - I think the guitar is a given, but I'll have to think long and hard about the second. I was considering putting it on my boring silver-colored DS, but the sticker's just a tad too big to go on sideways.

If you're reading this, Mr. Sticker Designer: Your stickers are beauty incarnate. Please make awesome stickers for the top of my DS. I will buy 2.

All told, I'm really happy with my order, and as I said before, I'll willingly buy more issues (and stickers!) as they're released.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about putting mine on my Dreamcast.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
If you're reading this, Mr. Sticker Designer: Your stickers are beauty incarnate. Please make awesome stickers for the top of my DS. I will buy 2.

That would be Lestrade. He did a fantastic job with them. I really liked them myself, and was very impressed with them. He should be proud.
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did in fact receive my order yesterday.

The binding on this is much more impressive than I expected. The whole volume feels... 95% real! Put a non-joke UPC on the back, regulate the interior chromacity better for black-and-white transfer, and slightly tighten up the editing, and you've got something that'll be basically professional in quality.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
I did in fact receive my order yesterday.

Yay! I was worried we were gonna have to perform an investigation for anti-TGQ employees at the post office!

aderack wrote:
Put a non-joke UPC on the back

We're working on a newish layout for the next issue and part of it involves removing the UPC from the back altogether. Does this sound like a good compromise? All of the other issues should be taken care of with the release of next issue as well, with the possible exception of editing, which I feel continues to get better with each issue, but could still see further improvement.

Also, Shaper semi-confirmed with me yesterday that our next issue will almost assuredly receive the hard copy treatment in some form or another. Good to know!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered your zine about 3 weeks ago.. but alas, my pins and zine have yet to arrive. Now, normally I don't mind waiting for things at all, but I would have gladly paid an extra dollar or so for shipping to get it here within 3 days or so. But I have not received the issue yet, so assuming it takes up to 3 weeks like mentioned, I may get it.. tommorow, which is the last day for the 3 week mark.

On a side note, I do love the magazine (I have the .pdf files), and I hope to write for it sometime in the future.

EDIT: I have recieved the magazine and stickers.. I really like the size of the magazine and the pins are cool (I just have to figure out where and what to put them on).
showka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: HELLA GREAT! Reply with quote

Just got mine today.

You guys are fucking wonderful. I don't think I've enjoyed a "video game magazine" this much since I was a kid and read all the biographies of all the Street Fighters in EGM's "1993 Video Game Buyer's Guide", though I like Gamer's Quarter for very different reasons. Every ten minutes, I'll pick up and get sucked into an article. I'll put it down, satisfied. A while later I'll go back. The process is so enjoyable that it's like losing some lesser form of virginity.

Ironically an issue of EGM arrived today as well. Thinking about that now I'm nearly dumb struck by how often I'll get that magazine and scan through massive chunks of it to find the parts that may actually excite or at the least interest me. I subscribed to the thing around issue 100, and will probably stop once they pass 200.

Gamer's Quarter makes every article so deep and meaningful. It's how it feels to play videogames, and be seriously interested them in ways that aren't old-school dorky (like Billy in "A Calculated Assault on Starcraft and All it Stands For"; I want to get my two cousins to read this thing but I'm afraid they may actually reflect Billy) or new aged reformed dorky (the abominable G4 channel and it's moderately attractive male and female acolytes who view gaming as a hollow element of style to be added to their personas). Even if I don't share or vehemently disagree with the authors, I always feel like I can connect with what they're saying.

I love the current size as well. Feels very sturdy and is something that's easy to carry around. I like that it's form isn't all floppy and nearly spineless like a normal magazine, it makes it easy to carry around. Don't ever change it. This stuff is so good it should be found in stores.
xvs07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
xvs07 wrote:

Yes, there are a few people who have not received theirs yet. We were told it could take up to 3 weeks to receive (which we put on the shop page) and we did not ship out the first order until the day of the 26th. All orders have been shipped within a week or the order placement. So you should be getting it late next week at the worst. I am considering raising the price of shipping so that we can get these into people's hands faster. Any opinions on raising shipping to include that?

Well. Drat. No package yet. Suggestions?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvs07 wrote:
Well. Drat. No package yet. Suggestions?

I have sent you a private message requesting your order information. I will straighten this out right away.
tangent23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: ::lurker alert:: Reply with quote

hi, just a quick question:

i'm in australia and was wondering whether there might be reduced shipping for bulk orders?

i'm thinking about ordering issues 3-5 and at US$8.50 a pop it's a little expensive..

cheers,
tangent23
Wink
tangent23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah.. anyone?

who'd the best person to contact about this sort of stuff?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Shapermc or SuperWes; they should be able to help you out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tangent23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issues came in today. Fantastic! It's so much more relaxing to read TGQ from the comfort of bed, as opposed to the lumbar-supporting stiffness of my desk chair. Thanks guys!

Nice quality too. I was half expecting staples.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to obstruct the forum with a new thread, so...

I really want physical copies of TGQ--but I'm leaving for Japan in less than a week, so if I do any ordering, it'll be in August. My worries: older issues seem to be "out of print." How long do issues stay in print, and if they aren't, how (if at all) would any of you suggest I go about acquiring every issue thus far?

I'm pissed that I can't have issue 6 with me in Nippon Sad
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they really only get one printing. So they are "in print" as long as they don't sell out. It seems to take about 6 months to sell out. We are running low on issue 4 right now. If you want to secure something shoot Wes a PM.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you guys honestly be willing to set aside issues until August? I mean, if you are, that's great, it just seems like I'm putting you out.

Otherwise, I doubt any TGQ owner would put his shit up on ebay just yet. Too loyal a crowd, neh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: