The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going cold turkey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Going cold turkey Reply with quote

So. I just got back from a week-long vacation in Utah/Arizona/Nevada. While I took my DS with me along with a full compliment of games, I made a last minute snap decision to avoid them until at least the plane ride home. Let's face it, on a good vacation where you plan it yourself, you should have a plenty of stuff lined up to do. And we did. To make a long story short, I was surprised that I didn't miss games all that much. (I did, however, miss easily-accessible vegan food like I have at home-- thanks for nothing, Grand Canyon North Rim Lodge!)

On the trip back, BTW, I played an entire game of Super Mario Bros 3!

That got me thinking. I feel like I need to simplify my gaming life. I buy way too many games thinking that I'll get around to them one day, so that I end up not appreciating what I have, or playing through half way until the next interesting game comes out. As an example, I still haven't finished Killer 7-- there have been three or four games that I've gotten since I started playing it, each of which I bought after it.

But where do I start? The problem is I've become way too invested in too many genres and series that I feel I can't let them go. Add to that the fact that I've reduced my game playing time by about half in the last year or so, and my problem becomes obvious.

So I was wondering who else has this problem, and if you've overcome it, how did you do so? The answer can't be as simple as "stop buying so many games".
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Going cold turkey Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
So I was wondering who else has this problem, and if you've overcome it, how did you do so? The answer can't be as simple as "stop buying so many games".

I've been having the exact same problem lately, but it's come to the limelight because of money issues rather than time issues. The way I've been trying to overcome it is by basing my full-price purchasing decisions on games that I plan to make time to play all the way through. Of couse, these plans often fall by the wayside and I still barely finish any games, but I feel a lot better about spending $50 on something that I want to play all the way through than things that I barely touch.

Now I find myself splurging on budget games or cheapy DS/GBA games and end up with a lot of games I plan to buy when they go budget but never do. I guess that really shows how much I wanted them in the first place!

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need some discipline in here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop buying games.

Seriously.

Or, at least, stop buying games you've already played.

For me, games take as long a time to complete thoroughly as books. And while I can and do polish books off in a weekend (thanks, class), I mostly don't find myself enjoying it. I feel the same way about games. If I buy more than one game a month, I end up feeling burned out on games. Of course there are exceptions (Winning Eleven, anyone?), but even some of my favorite games take a while to sink in and digest. Killer 7 happens to be one of those...

Actually, I want to play P.N.03, Resident Evil 4, and then Killer 7 in a row. That's probably going to push my gaming schedule back more than a month.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

player 2 wrote:

What does this mean? That people shouldn't buy We <3 Katamari? People shouldn't buy Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow? People shouldn't buy Final Fantasy XII? What makes an average original game (Electroplankton) more worthy of my money than an awesome sequel (Dawn of Sorrow)?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
player 2 wrote:

What does this mean? That people shouldn't buy We <3 Katamari? People shouldn't buy Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow? People shouldn't buy Final Fantasy XII? What makes an average original game (Electroplankton) more worthy of my money than an awesome sequel (Dawn of Sorrow)?

-Wes

He mentioned SMB3 for his DS.

Of course, there are some games that benefit from having a lineage, so... I don't know. Is the lineage worth it to him? Maybe. I don't know what he values. I do know the reason I didn't buy Super Monkey Ball 2 was because I had the original. So.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem, and still do to a lesser extent. I found that the best thing to do is drop RPGs in general. Aside from maybe one a year or so I don't really play RPGs. I thought I did, but they just make the back log of other games build. Think that you can probably play about 4 games in the time of one RPG. This does not solve your problem, but it does make it feel like you are wasting less money.

Then go into trying to only buy games you know you will play. This is a bit harder because you can always convince yourself you will have time. If you just realize that you need to put game X off until you beat games A and B then most likely by the time that you beat games A and B that you will have forgot you wanted to buy game X and moved onto game Y.

Another thing to do is to just move over to collecting up the games that you always wanted to play and not buy any new games for X amount of time (aside from one or two that you plan in advance). I will frequently do this for 3 month stints.

Another option is to get into emulation more heavily. I know it is a bit more gray area, but if you just build up a queue of games you are going to beat and play it will distract you enough to let most frivolous game purchases pass you by.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shaper, you're back. Or have been back, you know what I mean.

You're right about RPGs. They're dead for me, except for portables and Nippon Ichi (which is a big problem right there). It helps that my wife can't stand them.

I've followed your second piece of advice lately-- mostly for money concerns-- we'll see how it turns out. The problem is we have so many series that we're fairly well invested in that if one of those comes out in the middle of, say, Killer 7, I feel like I need to buy it. Add to that the trend that games I get really excited about seem to come out within a week of each other, and the problem compounds.

Another aspect of this is how games are sold these days. Your Halos and your Zeldas aside, a lot of games utterly disappear within months of coming out, rather than getting cheaper. Then it's eBay or nothing once you decide you really missed something. A great example of this is the domestic version of Rez, but GBA games are the worst offenders. For every GBA game you can get for a song without manual or box, there are three or four you either just can't find anywhere (Mr. Driller A), or which go for a load on auction sites (can't think of an example right now).

So yeah, I'm going to try and force myself to be really selective. I might even sell/trade off some of my backlog, just to get some value out of it. I think I saw a trading topic somewhere around here, so maybe I'll post there.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I'm doing currently is forcing myself to finish games in order. So Battalion Wars doesn't get bought until I finish Advance Wars 2 & Dual Strike, Makai Kingdom doesn't get bought for a year at least (I'm still on La Pucelle), Dawn of Sorrow is awaiting completion of Aria, Fire Emblem GC waits for Sacred Stones, etc.

Knowing the release dates well in advance helps curb impulse buys too. I've avoided several new DS titles cause I know I've got Shadow of the Colossus and Fire Emblem coming out soon.

But I am a little worried that things like Lost In Blue, Pheonix Wright and Trauma Center may just disappear after a couple months.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Dawn of Sorrow is awaiting completion of Aria.

But I am a little worried that things like Lost In Blue, Pheonix Wright and Trauma Center may just disappear after a couple months.

Wha? You still have not beat Aria? I thought I was the last person to beat it, that was about 6 months ago.

Anyways, DS games seem to have good shelf life for now. GBA is a pretty bad offender, but this just supports my theory. Will you really want to spend the time to track down and purchase a game at the right price and in the condition you want? Well if it passes that test you more than likely will and if not it will halt your purchase.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another idea:

don't use credit cards for any game purchases. only buy in cash. if you have to order something online, only buy something when you already have the cash equivalent for it.

actually, this is a good strategy for any non-essential entertainment item.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
if you have to order something online, only buy something when you already have the cash equivalent for it.

Debit card.

Actually I am moving over to this school. I just (finally) got my giant credit card bill paid off (10 hour days for a month are handy for something) and am moving to only debit card purchases. This is bound to piss my wife off.
Sushi d

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh heh heh...

the way i got past "overgaming syndrome" was to limit the amount of games i play...

i do this by forming a bond with a game and not playing (outside of a multiplayer session) or buying or "yaaaarghh"-ing other games until i feel i've completed it or i am pissed off with it.

it works for me so you can often find me incessantly babbling over a certain game for an extended periodd of time. the longer the time, the more i am liking it.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost jealous. I feel like I don't play games nearly enough. I've been spending all of my time making papercraft thingamajigs.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
dhex wrote:
if you have to order something online, only buy something when you already have the cash equivalent for it.

Debit card.

Dude. You shouldn't use a debit card for online purchases. If someone screws you there's no way to get your money back, but with a credit card they refund it without a problem.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Dude. You shouldn't use a debit card for online purchases. If someone screws you there's no way to get your money back, but with a credit card they refund it without a problem.

Even if you use it as a credit card? That makes no sense. I have gotten refunded before.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
SuperWes wrote:

Even if you use it as a credit card? That makes no sense. I have gotten refunded before.

Yes, even if you use it as a credit card. Credit Card companies have fraud protection. Debit Card companies (to my knowledge) don't. I bought a bunk Dreamcast from a company that went under shortly after I bought it and Visa was able to get my money back, if you buy something online with a debit card your bank isn't responsible for going through the same effort.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
I'm almost jealous. I feel like I don't play games nearly enough. I've been spending all of my time making papercraft thingamajigs.

I also saw you on the IRC once.

I have this problem. I want so many but I think I should finish some. I liked the hulk but it wore on me. I'm going to by Wanda and wait on Castlevania.

For all intents and purposes we should be cheapskates especially because in the future games will be 100.00
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
simplicio wrote:
Dawn of Sorrow is awaiting completion of Aria.

Wha? You still have not beat Aria? I thought I was the last person to beat it, that was about 6 months ago.

Anyways, DS games seem to have good shelf life for now. GBA is a pretty bad offender, but this just supports my theory.

Dude, I haven't beaten anything. I probably own 6-10 times as many unbeaten games as I do completed ones. I keep telling myself I'll get to them eventually, often while in the process of buying more. I'm gonna have one busy retirement, I assure you.
nICO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually tend to buy games only when there is a buy 2 get 1 free sale going on at my local game store, Gamestop, or EB.

The downside of this is I don't have a wide selection of games to choose from since used games are all that are under this deal, and given my distaste for spending more than $50.00 at a time on games (or anything, really), I almost always limit myself to $20-ish games. And of course, my purchasing schedule is dictated by finding a sale. I also feel bad for not supporting games that I feel I should support. Killer 7, Kirby's Canvas Curse, and Paper Mario 2 are the only new games I've bought all year, I think, and PM2 was a gift.

The upside is that I get more games for cheaper, I can play most of the games I get between sales without being too overloaded (even if I rarely beat them), and I have a nice way of limiting my spending.

I've seen three such sales in the past couple weeks, and have made out pretty well with Silent Hill 2, Kirby's Dream Course, Mischief Makers, Sim City (SNES), DK Jungle Beat, extra bongo, Meteos, Diddy Kong Racing, and Pilotwings 64 all for about $70.

I also try to purchase games in a nice rhythm. I'll buy an involving title along with or followed by something more lighthearted or for mostly collection purposes. For example, on my last few purchases, I got Silent Hill 2, Meteos, and Mischief Makers which I've been spending (or will spend) a lot of time on. Then I also got Sim City, Diddy Kong Racing, and Pilotwings because they were only a couple dollars each all together and I'd only play them a little before filing them away.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
I feel like I need to simplify my gaming life. I buy way too many games thinking that I'll get around to them one day, so that I end up not appreciating what I have, or playing through half way until the next interesting game comes out. As an example, I still haven't finished Killer 7-- there have been three or four games that I've gotten since I started playing it, each of which I bought after it.

But where do I start? The problem is I've become way too invested in too many genres and series that I feel I can't let them go. Add to that the fact that I've reduced my game playing time by about half in the last year or so, and my problem becomes obvious.

What I've done:

Trade games with friends even if you haven't played them yet. Everyone saves money, and you won't feel bad about not playing a game if it's not in your living room.

Buy a second TV. I play videogames while I watch tv, and it's expanded my gaming time immensely. This shouldn't be necessary for portable games.

Stop caring about finishing. As long as you play enough of the game to justify the purchase, don't worry about "finishing" it. And buying more games used and at reduced prices will help alleviate that guilt.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
For all intents and purposes we should be cheapskates especially because in the future games will be 100.00

Man do I hate this argument. Are games not cheaper now than they've ever been?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

far cheaper.

assuming you correct for inflation, of course. otherwise, bread's still a nickel, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
far cheaper.

assuming you correct for inflation, of course. otherwise, bread's still a nickel, etc.

But even if you don't do that games are still cheaper. Here are game prices at system launches from my memory:

NES: $50
Game Boy: $20-30
Genesis: $50-90
SNES: $50-75
Saturn: $50-60
Playstation 1: $50-60
N64:$50-80
Game Boy Color: $30
Playstation 2: $50-60
Game Boy Advance: $30-40
Gamecube: $50
Xbox: $50
Nintendo DS: $30-40
PSP: $40-50
Xbox360: $50-60

Seems about even to me. The cheaper games tend to be first party games while the more expensive ones are third party.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but correcting for inflation that copy of romance of the three kingdoms i paid 70 dollars for (after working my ass off for nearly six months) when i was 12 is the equivalent of about 110 dollars today. that's pretty impressive.

mass produced electronic commodities always get cheaper. it's one of the many reasons marxist economic theory exists only in literature programs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: