The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skylarking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Skylarking Reply with quote

So Skylarking would be "a scenic-route simulator?" you could choose to walk straight home through the industrial sector feeling the smoke and grime coming off the steel industry, or you could take a longer detour through the park and enjoy smelling the flowers?
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly how I interperited it.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

It's like Outrun.

The only thing I was unsure about was whether the HUD should not be there or be ultra intrusive with a vast amount og meaningless, useless shit. Like a life bar, combo multiplyer etc as well as big Sega Arcade style power up notices that would appear at random.

Hence my simply not mentioning it.
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So thinking about it a bit further I'd say that you would need an ultra-simple and forgiving control system, maybe even set it so that you choose directions to walk down at cross-roads / hidden paths (Ie.like Killer 7). Up = forward right=walk right 90* angle down = turn round and go back left = left 90*.

The simpler the control the easier it would be for art critics etc to talk about it on the Late Show, or a similar arts show.

Maybe you would allow the player to choose the speed, ie. power-walking, rainy=run for cover. Come on people don't really want to walk round that slowly.

You would have different NPCs and mini-events that you would see like a business man losing his umbrella in the wind, and other mood-setting events.

It could be like a full-graphics version of A Mind Forever Voyaging! Ie. You could just 'experience' the society that the 'piece' is showing.

You could also steal skateboards and cars, sell drugs and beat up pimps. oops! Twisted Evil
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main inspiration was this which is about a 20 minute walk from my house

The game wouldn't have any other characters in it, Just enviroments. Signs of life I mean, houses, closed shops etc. I originally envisaged the game to take place at 4-6am with the game beginning to approach dawn as it goes on. During autumn, with a really weak dawn and the Durutti Column's Sketch For Winter at Bothwell Castle is the game's defining image for me

The idea of simpy starting at point A and then having point B be a possibility rather than a goal, not even mentioned as the object but simply to exist out there in the game world appeals to me greatly.
Lackey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem like a blunt question, but was the article meant to be ironic? I wonder because of the parts where you describe how it wouldn't be played, but rather just sit around being pretentious. I also wonder because I genuinely think I would enjoy such a thing as someone who plays videogames.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wankerwitson wrote:
The game wouldn't have any other characters in it, Just enviroments. Signs of life I mean, houses, closed shops etc. I originally envisaged the game to take place at 4-6am with the game beginning to approach dawn as it goes on.

i really want someone to actually make this game now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about adding in some Beyond Good & Evil / Pokemon Snap / Metal Gear Solid-style photography so you could capture the beauty of the game (the full moon, the silhouette of the castle etc).
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
How about adding in some Beyond Good & Evil / Pokemon Snap / Metal Gear Solid-style photography so you could capture the beauty of the game (the full moon, the silhouette of the castle etc).

Screw that, the game would just record your playthroughs as macros that you could watch whenever you wanted.
nICO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Ketch wrote:

Screw that, the game would just record your playthroughs as macros that you could watch whenever you wanted.

That's boring, though. Part of my distaste for this idea surely stems from my how much I prefer pictures to home videos (quicker to browse and easier to act interested for one), but there's a much deeper reason. With a camera, the pictures you take would be personal and you'd have a distinct connection to them even within the context of the game. The video would just be you...watching you...play the game. There'd still be a connection I suppose, but it would be in a different, more disembodied way. Having the character in the game control a video camera, on the other hand, could be pretty interesting.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did this idea come out of some actual larking?

it's an awful lot of pleasant.

assuming folks live in places where walking about in the early morning is safe, that is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I live I often walk home from friends' houses, and house parties, which are at least half an hour away. Walking home early enough that you can see the sky turning blue but not so late that there's another soul in the world to be seen. It is a pleasant feeling, you get to walk alone with just
Ketch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect such an ancient post, but this idea reminds me of Animal Crossing in many ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Articulate Analyses All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: