The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussions of Dissonance (or Harmony of Dissagreement) (/)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nICO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Discussions of Dissonance (or Harmony of Dissagreement) (/) Reply with quote

Harmony of Dissonance surprised me. I mean, I love it. But most think it is trash...or at least average...for reasons that are very understandable.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to sleep and realised that I excluded Silent Hill 2. I think it may be at the top of a "top" for me, near it anyways.

dark steve wrote:
I think it could use a curveball, to be honest.

Well, people who appreciate games would not really have any curveballs. I figured HoD on that would surprise people a little.

nICO wrote:
Harmony of Dissonance surprised me. I mean, I love it. But most think it is trash...or at least average...for reasons that are very understandable.

See, I was one of those people for a while. I have beat it quite a few times now and each time I can find something subtle I previously missed.
nICO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably my favorite GBA Castlevania.

As similar as the GBA trilogy must appear to most people, each title attempts to do something fundamentally different.

Circle of the Moon, far from the Symphony of the NIght knock-off it was billed as, is an old-school platformer held together by a cohesive castle design.

Harmony of Dissonance is an adventure. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a boy's fantasy.

Aria of Sorrow has stronger story elements than the other two (though that's not saying much) and has the feel of a puzzle that's begging to be cracked. It's not as extreme as, say, Minish Cap, but the castle is tightly designed with little waste and the soul system encourages trying to complete everything in the game. Not a very good description, I know, but hell...

I like all three, but enjoyed Harmony the most.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how you guys like Harmony of Dissonance so much. If Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is Metroid Prime, Harmony of Dissonance is Metroid Prime 2: Echos. Harmony of Dissonance seems to disregard all logic and ease of navigation for the sake of having a singular world with different versions of it.

And if you're wondering where Aria of Sorrow fits into this metaphor, its straightforward world design and emphasis on optional but simple exploration that travels just slightly off of the main path would make it a Super Metroid.

-Wes
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I don't know how you guys like Harmony of Dissonance so much. If Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is Metroid Prime, Harmony of Dissonance is Metroid Prime 2: Echos. Harmony of Dissonance seems to disregard all logic and ease of navigation for the sake of having a singular world with different versions of it.

Because HoD isn't awkward to play like Metroid Prime 2 is.

And it's got atmosphere.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and twelve different times of day depending on what part of the castle(s) you're standing in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metroid Prime 2 has atompshere too. It's just that the atmosphere it puts you in isn't very appealing.

HoD's world is split up between different castles that might as well be a single castle but aren't because they're trying to do something that harkens back to Symphony of the Night's upside down castle concept. For me this was transparent and highly indicative that they really didn't understand why it was that the upside down castle was so awesome.

That, and I got really lost several times.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I kinda preferred the idea of a Universe A/Universe B castle to the upside-down one, although I wish they'd done something more interesting with the concept.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda my point. What were they even doing with the concept in the first place? Is there any reason to have an A castle and a B castle? And wasn't there a C castle too?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an AB, yes. Hurrah for the holographic universe!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the only game that's ever gotten that whole dark and light gameplay concept right was the first Soul Reaver. And that's just because there was a distinct purpose for each of the worlds.

Too bad about all the box pushing.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Soul Reaver did have a ton going for it. Especially towards the end where the game opened up all of a sudden without giving you clear objectives. For a game on the psx, the sense of 3D scale was really palatable.

Those boxes, though.

And that ending! Apparently, the first line of some publication's Soul Reaver 2 review read: "Yes, this one has pretty much the same cliffhanger too." Tragic. It's like the first Tomb Raider or GTA, all that potential and they just slaughter it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoD was not only aware of what the upside down castle was trying to do, but it did it better and was well implemented at that. On top of that it was firmly grounded in the facts of the games that preceded it. It is the ultimate shedding of the old play style of Castlevania that there could have been. Now you have moved completely from what was the NES/SNES/Genny Castlevania and tied it with the attempts to progress the series through Rondo and into Symphony of the night and turned into a true exploration based game over the previous trial-error-repeat game that it was. It is the final evolution of the game and then Aria of Sorrow is just a build on that evolution. Until HoD the series was still fumbling around a little with what it was trying to do (I should mention that this is completely ignoring the 3D games) until HoD, while not the most graceful attempt, it completely removed everything prior in terms of play that attached it to the old style that it use to be, while still keeping the atmosphere and familiarity of the series. While flawed it is truly important and can't be looked at as anything other than great.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a point.

The dual castle is also a great example of using gameplay to express plot ideas.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
The dual castle is also a great example of using gameplay to express plot ideas.

the dual castle could have been a great example of using gameplay to express plot ideas. each castle could have been a character. but neither of them was cohesive enough, individually. part of it is that you spend the first half of the game swapping between one and the other without knowing they're too seperate castles - they may as well be the same.

in silent hill, you know when you're in fog world and when you're in crazy world.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of my point. You guys are right that it has atmosphere, but there's not really a differing atmosphere between the different castles. Metroid Prime 2 at least got that part right. In Castlevania though it may as well have just been one castle. And the way they merge together makes it too easy to lose track of where you have and haven't been. Even with the map.

And how does HoD shed the trial and error gameplay? Isn't it pretty much the same thing as SotN and CotM?

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
What were they even doing with the concept in the first place? Is there any reason to have an A castle and a B castle?

The concept was that castle A wasn't big enough and they needed to hit a release date so they slapped on a slightly remixed version of it to double the size of the game world with minimal effort.

I love the game, so if I wanted to I could probably bullshit some reasons in defense, but all signs point to Castle B as a time saver for the team and and time expander for the player.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

the dual castle could have been a great example of using gameplay to express plot ideas. each castle could have been a character. but neither of them was cohesive enough, individually. part of it is that you spend the first half of the game swapping between one and the other without knowing they're too seperate castles - they may as well be the same.

in silent hill, you know when you're in fog world and when you're in crazy world.

Well, conceptually, then. If not in execution.

Yeah, the game has its problems. I like it despite them.

Annnnnnnnnnd it's still probably my least favorite of the GBA castlevanias, at the end of the day.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Annnnnnnnnnd it's still probably my least favorite of the GBA castlevanias, at the end of the day.

So we're in agreeance.

I personally Really liked Circle of the Moon. It was damn difficult in parts and actually forced you to learn boss patterns like in the old Castlevanias. I resepct that. Yeah, it was way too dark and the animation was beyond stiff, but I had a good time with it.

I kind of wish the GBA Castlevanias would do away with the experience system and instead just focus on exploration and equipment of items as a way of powering up your characters. They tried this with the PS2 Castlevania, but they sort of forgot about the whole "exploration" aspect.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried really hard to like Circle of the Moon, then I sold it and got a used copy of Aria of Sorrow, and I'm kinda half-heartedly trying to like that, but I think something about the collection thing really turns me off. You know, I've been playing some Riviera lately, and I'm enjoying the limited set battles, with more or less guaranteed items. It's then a question of whether or not you want to use said items to gain X effect. Castlevania presents a more traditional model of "kill enemy X 35 times in hopes of getting special item Y", and that just wears on me and makes me not want to continue, whether or not it's entirely optional.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "kill x monster in hope of getting y item" thing is entirely optional in AoS, though. You only need to do that for two particular souls to see the real ending. And often you actually find both of them on the way to the end of the game.

You really can't view AoS as a pokemon type game, because that's not what it is really about it. You don't ever have to collect 'em all, and the game never really encourages you to. It's more about how the game plays differently depending on which ones you have found. If you play it like pokemon you are ruining it for yourself.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Toups entirely. You're never really encouraged to try to get everything in any of the Castlevania games until you've already beaten the game, and at that point you're either done with it or you like it enough that you're up to the challenge. Ironically, Riviera is proving to be exactly the opposite for me. I always end up getting a random item that isn't the item I wanted and being forced to reset and try again until I get the item I want.

That's certainly not how games should play.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
And how does HoD shed the trial and error gameplay? Isn't it pretty much the same thing as SotN and CotM?

It is the first game to really make it easy enough that you don't really die anymore. Exploration becomes the key then. In SotN it was almost gone, but when the castle becomes upside down and for a little while at the beginning you have some challenging areas that require trial and error. In CotM you have even more of these esp. with the Coliseum. Then from HoD and AoS there are no areas that involve any real kind of trial and error. This is even more aparent in HoD where you can have such a multitude of potions and what not, that they limited them for AoS. So while SotN and CotM are very departed from the trial and error method HoD completely removes it.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread split really should've been called "Harmony of dissagreement"
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
This thread split really should've been called "Harmony of dissagreement"

Okay, how's that?

On topic: I have never beat Harmony of Dissonance because I get hopelessly lost. No challenge also means I have very little incentive to actually keep playing. I mean, I like exploring as much as the next guy but when you're just walking through rooms with little to no effort it isn't that great. At least give me the illusion of challenge. Aria of Sorrow was great in that I could play it in bits and bites and not miss a thing. It was short enough to remain satisfyingly enjoyable without having to expend too much effort into uncovering two or three different castles and the soul collecting thing worked out as a nice way to make me come back to it after I had beaten it.

That said, as odd as it is, I think I like Circle of the Moon most. It's just a straight up Castlevania, even if it doesn't do anything particularly interesting with the series. I like to look at it as a kind of side story, or a fresh perspective seeing as it was developed by an "outsider". I also like how much detail is in the scenery and how it feels like a nice combination of old school Castlevania challenge and new school Castlevania exploration. Neither aspect is that fine tuned but then neither aspect cancels each other out. It's a nice harmony between the two.

Last edited by Mr. Mechanical on Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compromise which leaves neither side satisfied -- perfect!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I admitted yet that I did not like the game after my first play through of it?
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
A compromise which leaves neither side satisfied -- perfect!

I'm most proud of my little "split" symbol that I came up with in a pinch.
nICO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys think the new DS Castlevania will fit in relation to the different mechanics of the series? I haven't read any previews and all I know is that you'll have to circle the bosses on the touch screen to capture their souls.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so we have to grab the stylus in the middle of a fight and draw a pentagram on the screen?

that doesn't sound like one of the more fun gameplay concepts i've heard lately.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's "end of the fight." The point kinda escapes me too, though. Anyone who played it at E3 have some insight?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was talking with Wes about this a while back and he seemed to tell me I was wrong, but I thought that it was a good thing that it was going back to the Rondo of Blood style anime with the series. Then Wes told me it was just that anime is more popular than CG in Japan right now.

Makes sense.

Nonetheless I have the game pre-ordered and am guessing that the touch screen will hardly get used and it will not be intrusive.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapermc wrote:
Nonetheless I have the game pre-ordered and am guessing that the touch screen will hardly get used and it will not be intrusive.

This was my experience at E3, but then I never got to a part where you use the stylus. I think it's safe to say that any gimmicky idea they came up with to use the stylus that didn't work, or seemed too obtrusive will be either left on the cutting room floor or reworked until it does work. In other words, I'm pretty sure they won't be using the stylus to ruin the game.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT's pretty neat, I think. Basically you fight a boss and when he is about to die the symbol appears on the screen, and you have a few seconds to grab the stylus, and the trace the symbol -- it's actually kind of tough, you have to remember the order to connect the points and you have to keep your lines relatively straight -- and if you fail (which I did, once) the boss comes back with reduced health, and you have to fight him back a little bit more before you win.

I think it's a good touch, and it isn't too instrusive. It might be a problem if you're keeping the stylus tucked away in the back, though. It was hanging on a string at E3.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self: Buy String.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
IT's pretty neat, I think. Basically you fight a boss and when he is about to die the symbol appears on the screen, and you have a few seconds to grab the stylus, and the trace the symbol -- it's actually kind of tough, you have to remember the order to connect the points and you have to keep your lines relatively straight -- and if you fail (which I did, once) the boss comes back with reduced health, and you have to fight him back a little bit more before you win.

how reduced? i mean, this seems like a pretty pointless hassle for the player to justify the release of the game on the ds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember, really. It wasn't too hard to wear him back down, but it gave the battle an interesting level of dynamics that it wouldn't otherwise have.

Don't judge till you play.

The seals also open locked doors, apparently. (la dee frickin' da)
mudokononastick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Discussions of Dissonance (or Harmony of Dissagreement) Reply with quote

nICO wrote:

If it's such trash, it's trash that's hard to find. I was barely lucky to get ahold of Aria Of Sorrow a few months ago and I'm desperately praying to find a used copy of Harmony...in my local Gamestop's GBA display case.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Discussions of Dissonance (or Harmony of Dissagreement) Reply with quote

mudokononastick wrote:
If it's such trash, it's trash that's hard to find. I was barely lucky to get ahold of Aria Of Sorrow a few months ago and I'm desperately praying to find a used copy of Harmony...in my local Gamestop's GBA display case.

Yea, just avoid Ebay. I am sure you know that something like 70% of the GBA games there are bootlegs.

Anyways, my local EB has HoD used, bare and a scratched up sticker, for $25.99. It is stupid as hell. I hate living in America when it comes to this aspect.

So just keep looking. It took me months to find each (AoS and HoD) when I started looking for them. I ended up getting both with the box and manuals, used, for $20 each. Like I said it took months (if memory does not fail me about 2 months for HoD and about 4 to find AoS... over 6 for Castlevania Chronicles) you just need to be patient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: