The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sega or ... SEGA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Sega or ... SEGA Reply with quote

Shapermc: "The big shocker for me is seeing Pokemon in there. A Nintendo game for a Sega console. That's progress!"
This is messing with my head
Shapermc: First sonic on the GC and now this...
Dess: it's a new era, my friend.
Shapermc: I feel like the acid I took in college fucked up the real worls
Shapermc: *d
Dess: don't get all solipsistic on me!
Shapermc: Do you think that Sega would still be SEGA if they released the DC in the US when it was released in Japan? I mean, that would be almost a full other year and you would not get as many "The PS2 is coming soon" people.
Dess: i try not to conjecture about such things.
Shapermc: I really miss SEGA. Now all we have is Sega.
Dess: :'(
Shapermc: I mean... AM I ALONE PEOPLE!
Shapermc: This is the most food I have eaten in like 2 weeks
Shapermc: I feel really really full, and it was not even that much food
Dess: i too find it hard to eat when i think of how sega's been replaced with the mediocrity and sameness of the playstation 2 and xbox.
Shapermc: Yea. I really just ponder these things all the time. Seriously I have sat up at night wondering why the DC did as bad as it did. I can only guess it was the rampant bootlegging (probably the worst system to get hit with it ever)
Dess: poor sega.
Dess: i want to play contra hard corps.
Shapermc: Ok, you're avoiding something here
Dess: who, me?
Shapermc: Well, if you were not like 1800 miles away I would invite you if you brought a second controller (YES YOU!)
Dess: aww, thanks. (GASP.)
Shapermc: No problem (what are you avoiding?!)
Dess: what am i avoiding?
Shapermc: Something about Sega... or SEGA
Dess: well...i didn't want to tell you, but...
Dess: ...i...
Dess: ...i had SEGA's love child!!
Shapermc: I mutherfuggin knew it! HA!
Dess: jerk.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uncovered the PROOF!

sawtooth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEGA desgeegata sanshiro?

so exactly what is this thread about?

edit: oh.

Last edited by sawtooth on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
so exactly what is this thread about?

Me wrote:
Shapermc: Do you think that Sega would still be SEGA if they released the DC in the US when it was released in Japan? I mean, that would be almost a full other year and you would not get as many "The PS2 is coming soon" people.

Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega = Sega + edges.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, the Dreamcast WAS a success in America. The problem was that Sega needed it to be more successful in order to climb out of their financial slump.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEGA.

Launching the DC early wasa the best thing they could've done, especially against the PS2.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
Launching the DC early wasa the best thing they could've done, especially against the PS2.

I was saying they needed to launch it even earlier. It came out almost a year later in the US than Japan.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. But why didn't anyone realize that the PS2 games that were released in Japan sucked compared to the Dreamcast games we had here? What would the gaming world be like if the Dreamcast was still thought of as current-generation and continued along the path it was going in? Would Sega have released a new system to combat the 360? Would the Xbox have been as successful? Interesting questions...

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it came out that early, what games would there have been? I imported my Dreamcast, and the selection was pretty thin for a while there. Granted, I bought it for VF3tb alone - but still! It launched with an extremely healthy line-up over here.

I'm guessing it wouldn't have had the luxury of downtime of new releases after its launch that the PS2 and 360 had and are having.

And the Dreamcast had a lot of pure shit released on it. It wasn't like companies didn't pump games out for it, because there were some really bad, far below mediocre, titles for it. But still enough for a steady stream after launch, for a while at least. Saturn>Dreamcast
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Saturn>Dreamcast

From an import/world view maybe, but most of the stuff that might have saved the Saturn from immediate collapse was left in Japan leaving software droughts as Sega tried to figure out what to do with the US Saturn. With the Dreamcast they finally realized that a sale is a sale and started releasing everything worthwhile over here. It helped make the system seem amazing up until the last minute, but didn't save them from running out of money.

Has anyone else noticed that Nintendo's currently in the not having enough quality games to release boat? Unlike Sega though, they're actually doing something about it by buying third party titles in Japan and releasing them over here themselves. They've done this with Dynasty Warriors Advance, Tales of Phantasia, Baten Kaitos 2, and others.

Interesting parallels!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was just a personal thing. I tell my Dreamcast that I'll never love it as much as the Saturn. It takes it kinda hard, but it can't argue with that stack of quality over there.

Then I hold Seaman out and say, "MAYBE if you're good." That always perks 'em up.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that Nintendo's currently in the not having enough quality games to release boat? Unlike Sega though, they're actually doing something about it by buying third party titles in Japan and releasing them over here themselves. They've done this with Dynasty Warriors Advance, Tales of Phantasia, Baten Kaitos 2, and others.

Only with the Gamecube, though. They've managed to pull together a phenomenal line-up on the DS.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
Only with the Gamecube, though. They've managed to pull together a phenomenal line-up on the DS.

Not only the Gamecube. They got to support the DS, the Gamecube, and the GBA. They released Final Fantasy IV themselves.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sega was a company that made great games that died because the people running it were horrible businessmen who couldn't make a profit or run a decent marketing campaign.

Hence why the comparisons to Nintendo are off-base. Nintendo may have some of the problems Sega did; these do not include making money and creating a visible (and desirable) brand.

Sony has a really impressive marketing deparment. I think of them as like sharks. Neon blue electric sharks.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Sony has a really impressive marketing deparment. I think of them as like sharks. Neon blue electric sharks.

game sharks, if you will.

(because they cheat?)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a funny dialogue, was it improvised or planned?

As for SEGA? I'm a huge fan, the DC was the last system I was really psyched about.

Man... I had some times on that system. Single player, multiplayer, online... The gruelling summer job was so very much worth it.

I remember taking the afternoons off "A-levels" at school, some buddies and I would head back to my place, open a few beers, smoke a few cigarettes, and get about 3 hours worth of DC game time in.

I almost feel like writing a feature on it. I don't know if I can do it justice though.

I don't know what could have saved the DC, or SEGA, since I wasn't interested in PS2 or Xbox, and the Gamecube (which I was at first interested in, but came to loathe), was still ages away.

It felt like it had so much potential, plus it allowed me to emulate the NES on it, and develop my own homebrew game.

See what you did Shaper, you've made me feel all melancholly again!

Great system, that really should have gone further. My favourite system actually. Good times, many good times. Many, many good times. Yes. The times, they were good. I miss those times, those jolly good times.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
jolly good times.

Jon, sometimes I think you are a parody of all of England.

I wasn't comparing them to Sega in a bad way. I was saying that they are in a similar situation, but thanks to their good business sense they're not stuck digging themselves a grave. Nintendo could give up on consoles and just release retro rehashes and Pokemon toys and still be the most profitable game company in existance.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that they're making a significant profit on their hardware helps as well.

The losses that Sega were taking on the Dreamcast console itself were extremely prohibitive. Relying on the 'razor blades' model only works if you're MS and you can afford to lose lots of money. For a company that was already circling the drain financially, it was a huge mistake.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Relying on the 'razor blades' model only works if you're MS and you can afford to lose lots of money.

or if you're a company that sells a core unit with a lot of interchangeable parts.

also, ms is not a razor blade model, at least not totally; they're clearly investing in having a future in the industry, and not just to sell more razor blades.

would it really be so bad if nintendo went under? this seems to be a terrible fear permeating the ic/tgq population, like socks or something omnipresent.

i have no idea what the liklihood of that is, of course. but i've noticed a lot of the financial stuff fixates on their fiscal health.

i'm not impugning anyone here or whatever. it's just somewhat uncommon in fandom to see such a large amount of focus on financial data. i'm sure someone here can point me to other examples of course, but i think it's interesting.

it's also interesting that microsoft's spending is not only fixated upon but often characterized as waste rather than an investment. it is not enough that nintendo's foes lose money; they must lose money stupidly.

i am so fucking doing my project this semester on brand identification and console manufacturers.

then again, maybe i'm a deep stealth marketer for sony, microsoft or nintendo. or all three. maybe i'm playing them against one another, and this is all just a big game. a joke, something for a laugh or two before i slink back to my lair and my albino cats; we all purr contentedly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it can be actually called innovation or not, Nintendo seems like the only company that's trying to innovate or reach new markets. The Playstation as a platform is excellent but most everything Sony builds is ridiculously shoddy and their attitude towards consumers would only get worse if they had a monopoly in Japan. Microsoft is less concerned with making games than it is putting itself into people's homes.

I'd be fine if Nintendo fell, but only if everyone else did, too. Which would be a shame, since I like using consoles.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i would be sad if nintendo went under chiefly because they're the only real people (in the console industry) attempting to bring videogames to people other than the small group of kids commonly identified as "gamers".

my mother plays her ds every day. i want this trend to continue. (see: controller (r)evolution.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
Relying on the 'razor blades' model only works if you're MS and you can afford to lose lots of money.

or if you're a company that sells a core unit with a lot of interchangeable parts.

also, ms is not a razor blade model, at least not totally; they're clearly investing in having a future in the industry, and not just to sell more razor blades.

Whoa whoa whoa now. Let's clear up some stuff here. I am not saying that MS is not 'investing' in its future (in fact, the opposite is pretty obviously true) and that I'm not, in any way, anti-Microsoft. In fact, I like having them at the party.

I'm interested in the business of the industry not because I'm invested in any particular company "winning"; I just enjoy the strategy and competitiveness inherent to being a successful business. This is why "Game Over" is a particularly compelling read, because it shows you how and why Nintendo managed to be so successful and sets the table for why they lost the market.

What I meant, is that the "razor blade" strategy, which amounts to taking a loss on the main hardware (razor/console) while making a profit on the 'software' (razor blades/games) is an inherently risky strategy. And that risky strategies are fine if you're Microsoft, who can absorb the losses on the original Xbox without even thinking about it; however, they're not fine for Sega, a company that was in serious financial trouble already.

There's nothing about the "razor blade" model that implies a lack of investment in the future, as far as I understand it. Perhaps you have greater understandings of economic models and explain the implications beyond simple profit-margin ramifications.

Also, the "razor blade" model is really only applicable for the original Xbox, which was weighted so heavily in that direction that MS itself estimated that in order to break even, they'd have to sell 12 games per Xbox sold, with 8 of those being Microsoft-produced titles (apologies if these numbers are a little off, it's been a while since I read "Opening the Xbox"). I have no idea what their plan is with the 360, although from what I've heard the hardware is much cheaper for MS to assemble, at least in relation to the retail price.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe msoft is investing in device convergence and the emergence of a functionally digital living room. how successful that will be i don't know.

is game over worth 40 bucks to get? i'll add that to the biblio pile regardless (unless the prof rejects this project, in which case i'll either do eminent domain campaigns or something drug war related).

the strategy is not inherently risky; it works for apple's itunes service as well. the real future for apple lies not in making portable music players - it's becoming a platform for digital content delivery - but in the meantime they'll make a shitload selling to a fashionably-minded audience which is very enthusiastic for their music devices and their constant reiterations. some of this no doubt translates into greater mac sales as well. itunes is a good hook for folks in general.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i believe msoft is investing in device convergence and the emergence of a functionally digital living room. how successful that will be i don't know.

That is exactly why they got into the videogame industry, yes.

More specifically, they got into the videogame industry because the guys behind the Xbox successfully convinced Mr. Gates that Sony had the same exact goal and that if MS was serious about being a major player in the set-top box market, they needed to start competing with Sony's brand.

Quote:
is game over worth 40 bucks to get?

I don't really think so. I'm pretty flabbergasted that it's that expensive, actually. I think I picked up my copy for 5 bucks from one of the local used book stores.

Tell you what, if you're interested in reading it, I'll mail you my copy, either as a loan or we can do a trade (for Chrono Cross, mebbe?), whichever. Feel free to PM me your address and I'll send it and we can hash out details later.

Quote:
the strategy is not inherently risky; it works for apple's itunes service as well.

I should have said "the strategy is inherently risky for videogames". I would say this because the price point difference between a game and a .99 cent song is great enough to make a difference in that regard. I'm an economic layman, so I could be totally wrong about this.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Tell you what, if you're interested in reading it, I'll mail you my copy, either as a loan or we can do a trade (for Chrono Cross, mebbe?), whichever. Feel free to PM me your address and I'll send it and we can hash out details later.

Damnit! I have been looking for this for a decent price since I saw it at a EBGames, passed on it and then tried to buy it online for less (it was $10) and found it only more expensive. That was about 3 years ago. I have Chrono Cross... but have not played it, there for, don't want to part with it.

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

Damnit! I have been looking for this for a decent price since I saw it at a EBGames, passed on it and then tried to buy it online for less (it was $10) and found it only more expensive. That was about 3 years ago. I have Chrono Cross... but have not played it, there for, don't want to part with it.

Well, once Mr. Hexler finishes it, maybe he could send it/trade it to you, or are you looking for a copy to call your own? I am really surprised to see that the price of the book has shot up so much so fast, I should go around to the used bookstores in the area and see if I can find any other copies.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Over tells a good story and it's much better written than most of what passes for game writing these days.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Well, once Mr. Hexler finishes it, maybe he could send it/trade it to you, or are you looking for a copy to call your own? I am really surprised to see that the price of the book has shot up so much so fast, I should go around to the used bookstores in the area and see if I can find any other copies.

Yes, and dear god that would be awesome if you went to look for more.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just checked strand...they have a few copies for like 13 bucks. i shall go find it this weekend and we can start a game over round robin after i've pulled the necessary quotes.

i mean, it's possible the prof might kill my project, but she's sort of weird, so i think i can slip it by. i'd have to tie it all into actions on behalf of nintendo (outside of the continual reiteration of their "classics" in repurchaseable forms, along with the coming revolution download service) which tie into this identification theme. (the ad campaign they did a few years back, with that awful berlin wall thing, is key)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(epilogue.)

dess: maybe it is finally time for my child's destiny to be fulfilled - as HEIR TO SEGA
dess: SON OF ORTEGA
andy: hahah
dess: DRIVE BE MEGA
andy: he has to become... MASTER OF THE SYSTEM?
dess: but a dream cast upon the winds of fate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: