The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why bury the dead (in crpgs)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: why bury the dead (in crpgs)? Reply with quote

i've got nowhere else to put this.

i'm on about twenty odd years of playing crpgs and just crpgs. i'm sure someone from the flesh world has written a dissertation or seven on this particular issue, or a fantasy author has touched on it at some point at some convention or another. (google is no help in this regard as of yet.)

i'm replaying the witcher here and there, and outside of the brutal euro-smarm titfest it's been a good time. but i'd never stopped to consider an incredibly obvious plot hole that stretches all the way back to those dang graph paper days.

why would anyone bury their dead in a world where the dead come back to nibble on the living? in cultures both living and dead, those with a fear of grandma coming back for a nosh took precautions, up to and including staking or mutilating corpses or full-on cremation.

but the altogether cursed denizens of crpg worlds tend not to have charnel house parties involving oodles and oodles of fire. maybe it's a side effect of wanting strangers to bring you sets of objects or do your laundry for you?

i know not. but i wonder how this escaped my notice for so very long.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they have to bury their dead as an offering to the world that sustained them during life, and the undead thing is just a possible side effect that they have to accept.

Starting at 1:08

This guy annoyingly reads the text that we can plainly see.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably safely blame this on religion.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: