The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shelves! Storage!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Shelves! Storage! Reply with quote

I'm setting up my den as a media room/library. I was given some nice recliners that match some oak wood on the wall, so I think we're shooting for a study setting. A friend is going to help me run wires under the floorboards so that I have a four port composite switcher in between the recliners, for the older consoles, and the remotes for the newer stuff. I have a pretty big problem with storage though. I have a healthy collection of games and books while she has a good deal of CDs and books, with both of us having about the same amount of movies.

I have a gaudy unit now that holds roughly 200-300 CD cases and 800 DVDs. I have a ton of games - PC, Saturn, Genesis, 3DO, etc. - either in closets or in an old dresser that we're getting rid of shortly. Most of my books are crammed on a small shelf that is overflowing. I really want something like a cabinet, to give the room a bit of symmetry and openness with the doors closed, but nothing too deep. The few units I've found don't really hold all that much, around 300 CDs or 250 DVDs.

Any suggestions? What does everyone here use? Pictures, if you have them!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My game-holding setup uses shelves from Ikea that I think have been discontinued. (We'd always meant to get doors for them, but now we can't :/)

The only pictures I have are somewhat old (we've moved house and rearranged stuff since) but the basic idea is the same.

Here's where the games go.. There are no longer books on that unit; it's floor-to-ceiling games. Books moved to a bookshelf on the other side of the room. Though I try to avoid it, you can generally stack games two deep.

My PC games are still relatively unconsolidated. I've got a big binder for games without cases, a couple of flimsy plastic jewel-case holders screwed to the wall (they're on the third shelf in this picture), and a pain-in-the-ass-to-move, space-wasteful jewel-case stand (barely visible on the far left of this picture). In practice it works out well enough, but it's not ideal. I store the few PC game boxes I can justify keeping on my shelving unit rather than the actual games.

Here's where the consoles go. I've since taken the controllers out of here and put them in a fabric wall-o-pouches attached to the side of my games cabinet. This is partially for babyproofing and partially because it just sucks to have all those controllers jammed in there.

You do not want to see what it looks like behind this unit. I've had to add an extra switchbox since this picture was taken, so it's up to three now. I think I'm up to four power bars. Hilariously, the people who wired our current house saw fit to put the entire living room and the kitchen on the same circuit. Not a good idea to run the toaster oven and the microwave at the same time. Did I mention my wife and I both have our computers in the living room, as well?

Aaand here's where the old computers go. It took me a long time to figure this solution out; I'm quite proud of it. All of the power cabling stays plugged in at all times; it's attached to the wall at desk height for easy access when you bring a computer down. The external disk drives stay on the shelf; their cords dangle through a hole in the bottom for quick access. The C64 disk drive requires external power; its power cable is run all the way up the wall and it remains plugged in at all times. All this means that it takes less time to set a computer up than it does to boot a game off of a floppy, which is about all you can ask for, really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wourme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep all disc-based video games and most DVDs (other than a few nice boxed sets) in these:

All the inserts are in a filing cabinet, and all the booklets are in one of these:

It's collapsible, but I used super glue on the snaps to keep it permanently together.

Cartridges are all in boxes in a closet, since I don't need to get to them very often.

The biggest challenge is GameCube games. Oddly enough, no one in the history of the world seems to have made a binder for mini-CDs or mini-DVDs, other than that little Nintendo wallet that only holds 12 GameCube discs. I ended up putting in them in these (and I have some extras, if anyone happens to need a few):

I haven't yet found a perfect-sized box to put them in.
Redeye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
My game-holding setup uses shelves from Ikea that I think have been discontinued. (We'd always meant to get doors for them, but now we can't :/)

You could put in little curtains instead.
Tack them onto the shelf-edges, cut curtain at 1 foot intervals so you can reach through flaps. edit: wrote that before looking at picture.

Mebbe use a bit of velcro- 1 strip at top of mini-curtain, 1 strip on bottom so curtain can be folded over and stay in place while rummaging.

anal enough 4 ya?

I use a big Tupperware box for my games. Overflow goes into a drawer from a long-gone desk. The drawer is on a shelf next to the Tupperware box.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:

The biggest challenge is GameCube games. Oddly enough, no one in the history of the world seems to have made a binder for mini-CDs or mini-DVDs, other than that little Nintendo wallet that only holds 12 GameCube discs. I ended up putting in them in these (and I have some extras, if anyone happens to need a few):

Nyko made a hard plastic case that snapped in 40 GC discs; it was purple and ugly, but it worked great.

I'm very wary of sleeves; I've ruined multiple CDs in them. So I've got all my CDs transferring to plastic boxes in their cases as I rip them, which then go to storage. DVD cases just take up too much space though, so those are in binders.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikea seems to only make one run of everything. I really like the heavy mounted unit; I wouldn't mind putting portfolio stuff in it. The T-Rex puppet is also awesome. The depth of the large unit is about what I'm looking for. I think if I can find those in columns with doors, I would be set. A shame about Ikea is the closest one is 3-4 hours away and shipping is really expensive - a $100 set for the bathroom had a shipping rate of $150. Unfortunately, it seems that Ikea is my best option.

I've been checking out http://www.racksandstands.com/ but can't quite find what I'm looking for. I think I'll end up having to buy 2-3 of whatever I choose due to the amount I'm dealing with.

The binder looks like something I wanted to use for magazines, but the Ikea version of those isn't being made anymore.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: