The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Beach at the End of Forever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: The Beach at the End of Forever Reply with quote

Artsy Game Incubator - Scratch Project

I've "completed" one of my projects for the Artsy Game Incubator—a six-week program for independent games development here in Toronto, organized by indie king Jim Munroe. The program is aimed at people who are more art-focused than programming-focused, though a few of this round's members are fairly well balanced in that regard.

The Beach at the End of Forever was created in Scratch, a kid-friendly game-creation tool. I say "created," but it is a modification of an existing game type—a sort of one-man Pong. I've turned that into a bleak, depressing experience that is inspired by the Cormac McCarthy book The Road. (I assure you, no douchebaggery was intended.)

In TBATEOF (yikes), you play a young boy on the eve of the end of the world. Your aim is to bounce a floaty beachball as long as you can—because what else would you do at the end of all things? There is no chance of losing; all you can do is stop playing and accept the inevitable.

>> Play the game at the Scratch website (uses a Java applet so you can play it in a browser). Make sure your sound is on and up; the suffocating background music needs to be loud for the full effect.

Feel free to hurl rocks at me here, or talk about any Scratch projects you have worked on or like! Or, view all the Artsy Game Incubator Scratch projects on the site.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's artistically very nice. The animation and style is excellent and the aesthetics are very fitting based on your inspiration. The game is ... well, very dull outside that.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, fair point. It was meant to be a two-hour exercise in modding a game. Though to my credit, thematically it makes sense to be boring. :-) Thanks for giving it a whirl, though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: