The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post your favourite 2d platformers. Prefer somewhat obscure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indstr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Post your favourite 2d platformers. Prefer somewhat obscure Reply with quote

What the title really should be: Post your favourite 2d platformers with screenshots. Preferably somewhat obscure titles

I'm new here, but upon taking a look at these forums, it seemed like a good place to ask the question. 2d platformers are one of my favourite genres, but I am always on the lookout for new games to checkout. Even just within the past few years, I have discovered some gems that are now near the top of my list. I've plowed through lots of lists and forum threads online to find interesting/obscure games, but still I crave more.

So, post your favourites, they can be for any system/platform from any era. Consoles, Indie, old computers, etc. I have a particular interest in 16 and 32 bit. I have hit up most of the mainstream consoles, and DOS. One area I know very little about however is older mostly europe-centric computers (c64, amiga, atari-st, etc).. I know there are a BUNCH of platformers for these systems and there is no possible way I could wade through them all by myself, so if you have some favourites from these platforms - I need some recommends! Unfortunately most of the Amiga games I've tried so far, I haven't been very impressed with Sad

Here are some of my all time favourites, in no particular order... To get it started off.

Adventures of Little ralph (aka Chippoke Ralph No Daibouken) - for PSX
This is one great game. Very challenging gameplay, beautiful 2d graphics. Can't believe I only discovered it a couple of years ago, but it's relatively unknown in America..

N+ for PSP
I've only had this for a couple of weeks but I can confidently say that it is already one of my favourite platformers. Again, incredibly challenging gameplay, great physics. You have to time your jumps exactly right or you will die. And die you will, many many thousands of times. Love it. Right now I'm trying to get all the gold on all 200+ of the game's levels. So far I only have a couple left!

Ninja Gaiden for NES (Also part 2)
Seminal classic. Wonderful game and great music too!

Contra for NES
I have tried newer iterations of Contra games, and they have been OK. But there has never been another run & gun I have enjoyed as much as Contra & Super C for NES. Something about the formula was simply perfect

Klonoa - Pretty much the entire series. I have played them all (even the wonderswan version). Great puzzle platforming

Megaman - Powered up on PSP
Megaman games have always been OK, but "Challenge mode" in this one particularly shines. 100 levels of, you guessed it, insanely difficult things to do.

Rocket Knight adventures on Genesis
This seems to be gaining some popularity lately. Well deserved, fantastic game

Donkey Kong country for SNES .. The entire series
Pretty mainstream here, but the gameplay is so classic, original, and so well refined.

Super Ghouls & Ghosts for SNES
When I feel like punishing myself, I pull out this game..

Skyblazer for SNES
Perhaps not quite as challenging as most of the other games on this list, but a beautiful adventure

Athletic land for MSX
I only discovered this a couple of years ago when playing an MSX compilation for playstation.. But the game is really charming. Very addictive to see how much further you can get every time

Blaster Master for NES
I like Metroidvania style games, but this is the first one I ever played and is still the closest to my heart.

Wizards & Warriors 3 for NES
I haven't heard this game mentioned much anywhere, ever... So maybe not many people liked it or have played it, but I've always considered it the best of the W&W series and a great adventure. Sort of metroidvania-esque too. Great music as well. I'm having trouble even finding a decent pic of it I can hotlink..
http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/Wizards_&_Warriors_3_NES_ScreenShot2.gif

There's plenty more I have played and loved, but those are some of my favourites.

Currently I am replaying Mario vs Donkey kong... Can't get enough of puzzle platforming action Smile

So... Please post your favourites! (Like I said if you have any obscure ones that would be great) And maybe we can all discover a couple of new gems to play. Very Happy

P.S., if you like platformers, and you haven't played Adventures of Little Ralph... You OWE it to yourself to play, because it is absolutely fantastic! Sometimes I find a game and I'm like, "Why didn't anybody ever tell me about this before?". Well, I'm telling YOU! Very Happy
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popful Mail, Sega CD. Fantastic game.

Also Umihara Kawase for the SNES/PS1

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: