The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wii Must Have It!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Wii Must Have It! Reply with quote

All right, dudes and dudettes, I bought a Wii today. I had no idea it was this easy to get them now. I was expecting the store not to have them, so I'm a bit surprised to have one sitting in front of me now.

So what are the games that one must have.

Right now, I'm thinking:

No More Heroes (this is probably going to be disappointing, but like my Tarantino habit, I keep going back to him)

Smash Bros. (I'm not a big fan of the series, but I'll probably pick this up)

Bully (maybe, I think I've had enough Rockstar with GTAIV though)

That's... it. Everything else that I want is downloadable.

Also, what kind of gadgets does one need to enjoy this thing? I'm going to play a lot of classic games, is the gamepad available the best one for this? Or are there better options out there?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't play Okami on your ps2, you may want to try the Wii one. Same goes for Resident Evil 4. Also, people here seem to love Kororinpa, and people everywhere love Zack & Wiki.

As far as peripherals go, the classic controller by nintendo is a great pad for anything not made with analog controls in mind. For that, try to find a gamecube controller somewhere.

Oh, and if no one else has warned you yet, make sure you use a gamecube pad for Smash Bros. It's perfect.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you like death proof?
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I don't know why you're asking me this here, but I enjoyed the first half a hell of a lot. The second half sucked, it took all the piss out of Kurt Russell's character (that was Kurt Russel, right?) and replaced the first gang of bimbos with a much uglier, more annoying group.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i don't even know what to say to you right now. of course they took the piss out of him - he's a pussy! that's the joke!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excite Truck remains my favorite game on the system.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on, mike. There was no implication that the dude was a pussy from the first half of the movie. The character was, in fact, very mysterious, vaguely alluring and somewhat nerdy; also a sick fuck. A typical Tarantino job, for what it's worth.

The second half of the movie just seems forced as fuck. And lame. Tarantino amplifies his annoying girl power shtick (and manages to throw in his "down wit the bruthas" thing in the process) and sucks whatever allure the movie may have had. The second half feels like a sequel to a fun, curious little movie that doesn't belong there. If the dude being a pussy is joke, then I'm sure we can all admit that it's a very bad one.

But what can I say, mike, you did like sin city after all and there's no more damning a statement than that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He ate...MY HANDS!!

Or was it fingers?

I really don't enjoy all that much on the Wii. Its main use has been through the virtual console. I downloaded Mario RPG when it was released and plan on download Ys shortly, which goes towards the five or six titles I already own for it. The only Wii games I own are Mario Galaxy, Nights, Super Paper Mario, Wii Fit/Play, and I think that's it. I heard bad things about Mario Kart and wasn't completely taken with Twilight Princess, which doesn't leave a whole lot else.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the available gamepad, but for N64 games it's sort of jarring at first. The main button for the N64 was the A button, which was located where the B button is on the classic controller, so it requires a kind of rethinking of button layouts. Still, I prefer it to the GameCube controller for some reason. It just feels more genuine.

As for games, I'd say you're going down the right track. No More Heroes should be your first purchase hands down, followed by Wii Play (for the second controller), followed by Ghost Squad (which you'll need the second controller for), and from there everything else is just kind of novelty.

I'd like to put a hearty FUCK NO toward Nights. Despite what were clearly good intentions it's absolutely attrocious.

Oh yeah! Metroid Prime 3 was pretty great too, but YMMV depending on how you liked the first one (not the second, which was horriffic).
-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergei, you don't speak 70s revenge flick americanese, so you don't see the obvious implication of his murderous doucheyness and how he's reduced to tears once he has to confront the limits of his body without his car.

it's like, totally there. i dunno, i liked it a lot. the stunts were pretty ridiculous. dunno if i can get through planet terror though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my favorite Wii games of those I've tried so far:

Boom Blox
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Kororinpa
Toki Tori (Wiiware)
Wii Fit

I'm pretty sure Fire Emblem will also make my list, but I just started playing it. I'm also looking forward to trying Metroid Prime 3 and Fatal Frame 4.

SuperWes wrote:
Wii Play (for the second controller)

Really? Is this worth getting? This is the first time I've heard it actually recommended. A few people I know told me it's awful and not worth the extra $10.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiiPlay is worth getting. Granted, I bought it when it was cheaper than buying a controller on its own, but some of the games are great with another person, though none are particularly good on your own.

I also own Ghost Squad, which is great, RE4 Wii Edition, which is great if you haven't played the original. I've previously owned Twilight Princess, which is medicore, Maraio Galaxy, which is pretty fun but I felt I was done with it when I got enough stars to finish the game and haven't felt like playing it since, Metroid Prime 3, which is much better than the second game but not as good as the first, and really feels like a mish mash of different games that sort of works. I didn't end up finishing it. Endless Ocean is a relaxing game. Excite Truck is also great, I kind of wish I didn't sell it.

I've rented Godfather which is actually really fucking fun, get it if it's cheap. Same with Kororinpa.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't played a lot of Wii games. Of those I've played, Elebits actually worked the way I felt a Wii game should work. And I liked it, lots! I hear it gets annoying later on, but the bits I played were fine.

Reminds me of a cross between Toy Commander and Katamari Damacy. With a gravity gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I also own Ghost Squad, which is great

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. It's a SEGA game so the fun is enhanced with awkwardly voiced characters and an 1980s action movie dial-a-plot setting. With three other people! You can buy it with a pistol-shaped controller shell but since you can't set the C or Z buttons to the trigger it's useless. I'll bet that's the same way with The House Of the Dead. However, it does have a laser built into the end so in Australia's post-laser pointer social environment you can stick it to the man and have hours of laser-centric shenanigans on a Friday night. Just watch out for low-flying aircraft.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have recommended against a Wii as it's been fairly disapointing for a while. Anyways, pick up Kororinpa, it's really fantastic.

Also, I found this video for you:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/09/19/red-alert-3-dance-remix-party-fun-time/#more-3061

It's... yeah... ummm for you.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got a Wii mostly to play old games and for the potentialy great stuff that might come down the road.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man you must get ghost squad man i am going to play that game some more tonight actually, i havent touched it in a while

whats the game called with all the kenta cho shit in it? i need to find and get that game goddamn iw ant to play torus trooper on my tv so ooooo ooo ooooooo bad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAST WORKS
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God they make you play so much Tumiki Fighters to unlock anything Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you have to do to unlock stuff
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finish the game on random difficulty levels. I'm just not very good at shmups and would like to play Torus Trooper anyway please Sad

And nobody seems to have a saved game with everything unlocked posted online.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
BLAST WORKS

I had no idea this existed. Just ordered from gamefly for $9. Thanks thread!
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the trading work for Blast Works? Can you only trade designs with specific people (as in Boom Blox) or is there a community where you can browse for really interesting ones (assuming people have made really interesting ones)?

I mentioned it already, but I highly recommend the Wiiware game Toki Tori to anyone who likes puzzle-type games. I was afraid that I'd find the cartoonish theme a little off-putting, but it's not bad--the graphics and music are actually quite nice in places. The game mechanics are kind of a cross between Lemmings and Lode Runner, and you get more levels than you might expect in a cheap Wiiware game. (Incidentally, it's based on an old MSX title.)

Also, has anyone else played and beaten the last normal level in Boom Blox? I've been stuck on it forever.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten into it much, but the official trading method is posting stuff to and downloading stuff from Blast Works Depot.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No More Heroes.

I don't know what to think of this game. It's fascinating, but -- much like killer7 -- for every thing this game does right it does a dozen wrong.

If you liked Kill Bill -- and I didn't, at least, not the first time I saw it -- you'll probably think it's a riot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a lot of Excite Truck and Smash Bros. Brawl...good with friends.
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSB Brawl is the best game I've played all year. Play it with friends, play it against the computer, turn all the items off, turn just pokeballs on, etc. Just do one thing first, get a classic controller. It's better than the Gamecube controller even.
Malloc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out today!

(Seriously, SSBM, No More Heroes, and Metroid are your safe bets disc-wise. Virtual Console is where it's at. Honestly really indifferent to the Wii myself but I have to admit, downloadable Ys and Choaniki are pretty great.)
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Cheer is kind of cool, it's very similar to Ouendan, but from the little bit that I played I don't know that it's going to reach beyond it's intended target audience by much.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those Bratz?
Malloc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Are those Bratz?

Nah. Bratz are sluttier.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bratz are fucking horrifying. I'm surprised that shit doesn't give kids night terrors.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up we cheer and samba de amigo. cheer came with tiny pom poms that i taped to the remote with painter's tape. works surprisingly well in lieu of maracas.

also, art style orbient.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orbient's a great concept. I like that I'm controlling a force rather than directly controlling an avatar.

It is the same as that Bit Generations game, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: