The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WiiWare Yay or Nay?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: WiiWare Yay or Nay? Reply with quote

Soooo apparently WiiWare launches today with 6 games. (more info here)

Is anyone excited about this? Is anyone interested? I'd be seriously pumped, but I'm actually almost down to no space left on my Wii and whether or not I actually have room will probably be the largest deciding factor on if I buy something or not. I'm interested in My Life as a King and LostWinds, but not enough to blindly buy either. I like the possibility of indie games on the Wii, but not too much screams "buy me" yet. The $10 for Dr. Mario announcement made me write it off instantly. That said, I'll be making room for StrongBad for sure!

Back to the question though: what're you buyin'?

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost Winds and Defend Your Castle look fun! I like the character designs for Lost Winds especially, and the concept sounds interesting.

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/lostwinds-1/752362/

I've been saying Wiiware looked like a good thing from the start Here's hoping it takes off.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost Winds Looks really pretty. There's either something terribly wrong with the way it plays or it's gonna be great.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say nay. Nindendo really screwed the pooch on the amount of room that is on the Wii for storage, and I've been saying this since before there were any good VC games either. Even though you have the ability to use an SD Card to bounce everything around, the amount of flash space in the Wii is unnacceptable for the kind of things that Wiiware wants to do. It's kind of like being stuck with a 360 and memory card only for Live Arcade games. It's a bit ridiculous.

I may end up picking up one or two somewhere down the road, but they're going to have to be pretty special to make me bounce around what's on my console memory to SD and back.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyre going to have to introduce some kind of official storage device at some point.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, they just need to create a firmware update that ties your purchases to your Nintendo.com account so that you can be logged in, online, and then be able to run shit off your SD Card. That's where they fucked themselves.

Why can't more companies use Steam and learn from it?

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nay until Star Soldier.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Yay. I plan on getting TV Show King later (lawl, I know) and having fun. Lost Winds sounds like it has some interesting play mechanics and Defend Your Castle looks like a good time.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got home today planning to buy Lost Winds and Crystal Chronicles. I put $30 on my Wii because it would have been a huge pain in the ass to put $20 then $10, and tried to download Crystal Chronicles. I didn't have enough space. I deleted the web browser and the Mario Kart Channels and it freed up 300 something blocks. I went and downloaded Crystal Chronicles only to find out I had just 64 left. I tried to download Lost Winds and discovered that it uses 259 blocks. So my only remaining option would be to delete Sin and Punishment or a whole bunch of other games (my next smallest game is Mario 64, which is just 90 blocks). I really don't know what to do!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not buy huge games shoehorned into a system that shouldn't have them on it...

just a suggestion.

elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just deleted Sin and Punishment to make TV Show King fit. It's really fun! Typical quiz game...but I'm a sucker for them, so yay.
dmauro

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis.shrugged wrote:
I just deleted Sin and Punishment to make TV Show King fit. It's really fun! Typical quiz game...but I'm a sucker for them, so yay.

This looks like a joke post at first glance. I guess if you really like quiz games though.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not ideal, but switching things to an sd card seems really easy. Is this not the case?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mustache wrote:
I know it's not ideal, but switching things to an sd card seems really easy. Is this not the case?

It does seem like that, doesn't it. Too bad it is. I copied over the Mario Kart channel and it took something like 5 minutes of waiting around. That's only 90 or so blocks. I can imagine something like Final Fantasy:CC or Sin and Punishment would take 10 or 15 minutes. And there's no "move channel." You can only copy then delete, which is kind of annoying.

Regardless, the whole point of downloadable games is the convenience of being able to play something without having to wait/put a disc in. By forcing you to go out of your way it kind of defeats the purpose.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo seems to let you redownload stuff. It seems like doing this is faster than copying shit to an SD card and then copying it back.

I guess this seems like an okay way to digitally distribute content if you've never seen a 360 or a PS3 do it. And you're on drugs a lot.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cossix wrote:
I guess this seems like an okay way to digitally distribute content if you've never seen a 360 or a PS3 do it. And you're on drugs a lot.

and have a very low IQ.

EDIT: Re-Downloading is probably the most entertaining option because of the mario/luigi loading/progress bar.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I ended up moving over Baseball Stars 2 and the Nintendo Channel to make room for Lost Winds. It's pretty good! The production values are so good I wouldn't have been surprised if I had bought it in a store for $50, so paying $10 is really a steal. The game seems to use the wiimote really well and not at all in a gimmicky way.

It's not perfect. The level design has kind of a tombaesque feeling of worthless exploration, but the interface and art style seem to be enough to keep me going anyway. Good shit!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
elvis.shrugged wrote:

This looks like a joke post at first glance. I guess if you really like quiz games though.

I know. It was worth ten bucks, but no more. I've played the hell out of Sin and Punishment though (along with Alien Solider and Gunstar Heroes), so I guess that redeems me.

EDIT: I also bought the quiz game to play with family, if that makes more sense.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i'm actually interested in quiz games too, after buzz was such a hit with my friends. i might get it, but i'm also interested in SMARTY PANTS because planet moon made it and i want to support planet moon. are there any other good trivia games for the wii?

also, i guess wiiware has no demos, huh?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No demos. Sad

I haven't played Smarty Pants, but it has a lot more questions than TV Show King (10,000 vs. 3,000) and is more money ($40-50 vs. $10). TV Show King also doesn't have much variety, either, so beware. What else has Planet Moon made?

Someone needs to make You Don't Know Jack as a downloadable game...
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis.shrugged wrote:
What else has Planet Moon made?

the original MDK, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Armed and Dangerous, Infected, After Burner: Black Falcon, and the upcoming BATTLE OF THE BANDS game that I sure hope doesn't suck.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

star soldier is coming out next week, which i guess will be my introduction to wiiware. i'm curious about gyrostarr too.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Cossix wrote:

and have a very low IQ.

EDIT: Re-Downloading is probably the most entertaining option because of the mario/luigi loading/progress bar.

I just don't buy that many games and I have a lot of space on my wii, so there's that
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word from a friend is that My Life as King is not worth it unless you're willing to sell your soul and/or first-born child via micropayments.
bleak

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smarty Pants was ah... pretty bad.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak you hate every game

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not you libelous dog!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, people boo hoo about there being no good games on Virtual Console! I looked on there the other day, there was METAL SLUG up for download! Also Earthbound is coming soon. What else do you want, a blowjob?
bleak

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when I hear people complain about the Wii's lack of games the VC is excluded for some reason or another. I've never heard it where people complain about no good games on the VC, because there are TONS! TONS I SAY!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
Usually when I hear people complain about the Wii's lack of games the VC is excluded for some reason or another. I've never heard it where people complain about no good games on the VC, because there are TONS! TONS I SAY!

Yeahbut many of those same people can get those games elsewhere and for free if they don't mind piracy.

I'm still wondering if they'll do a decent 4 player variation of Dr. Mario. My N64 now lives at my buddy's as a Dr Mario (and New Tetris; pity this game w/ its solid multiplayer didn't get to other systems, but the PS didn't have 4 ports...) machine. Wish I could still play my import of Puzzle Collection for the GC...
player 2

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I say nay. Nindendo really screwed the pooch on the amount of room that is on the Wii for storage, and I've been saying this since before there were any good VC games either. Even though you have the ability to use an SD Card to bounce everything around, the amount of flash space in the Wii is unnacceptable for the kind of things that Wiiware wants to do. It's kind of like being stuck with a 360 and memory card only for Live Arcade games. It's a bit ridiculous.

I may end up picking up one or two somewhere down the road, but they're going to have to be pretty special to make me bounce around what's on my console memory to SD and back.

I think it's kind of funny that the amount of time and enjoyability I get out of any Wii game is ~10-20hrs, and with the space already on the Wii I can get like 20 games on it, but I'll be damned if I have to spend 10min to shuffle stuff around so I can get more games.

I actually think the easiest thing to do is delete the games and redownload them if you really want to play them again. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is the largest download you can make, and it doesn't even take 5min to get.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, today's STAR SOLDIER day, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it's star soldier day.

it's star soldier caravan mode with online rankings and it makes me happy. i like how before i could buy it there was a "WARNING: THIS GAME IS ABOUT GETTING HIGH SCORES" screen. but it probably still won't stop idiots on the internet from complaining the game's only two stages long.

there's a quick shot mode! (the main game does have autofire, though, if you were wondering.) i like the use of the 8-bit star soldier theme on the credits screen. and the fact that it switches to the boss music when takahashi meijin's name comes up.

the wii shop still has the best progress bar in the world. the download was done before i could finish my sandwich, by the way. the game seems to take up barely any room on my wii.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Soldier is pretty frickin' cool but hey, it is Star Soldier. I must be the first person who has played this in Australia because even with a paltry score of 294,000 in two minute mode I am already ranked number 1 in the country. Come on the rest of my down under brothers, get your arses in gear.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many memory blocks is it? This may spur me on enough to actually connect my Wii to the internet (and my television).

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was something like 169.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
it's star soldier caravan mode with online rankings and it makes me happy. i like how before i could buy it there was a "WARNING: THIS GAME IS ABOUT GETTING HIGH SCORES" screen.

Wow, that's cool. If they can educate consumers that that is an acceptable thing to make a game about and not every game has to take 40 hours+ to finish, then perhaps we'll see less artificially extended bloat-fests in future. And cheaper games! Imagine!
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a warning to anyone who is thinking about buying Defend Your Castle. It's probably the most boring game I've ever played. It's really my least favorite thing. Try out the demo for yourselves:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/castle

The first enemy doesn't show up for 15 seconds so you can get acquainted with the controls (mouse to move, click to click!)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know when gyrostarr is coming out? it was slated for this past monday, but i think nintendo decided that two shooters in one day was A LITTLE TOO MUCH. i'm pretty curious about it, since it's a multiplayer tube shooter.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole casual gaming sucks. I think its messed up that they are marketing a casual game but in reality its just a rush job and ends up sucking bad. I say no except for maybe like wii fit or something like that. Its exactly what it looks like and its not trying to claim its something its not.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread, friend!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be old news, but I just heard about Tetris Party for the first time today. It's by Hudson and it looks pretty nice. Among other things, it includes the equivalent of Tetrinet and a game mode that uses the Wii Fit balance board. It's supposed to be released this fall.

Maybe one day they'll also release a version of Tetris Attack that you can play over the Internet. The game that's getting the most play time on our Wii is the same one that always did on our N64 when it was hooked up--Pokemon Puzzle League.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wourme wrote:
This may be old news, but I just heard about Tetris Party for the first time today. It's by Hudson and it looks pretty nice. Among other things, it includes the equivalent of Tetrinet and a game mode that uses the Wii Fit balance board. It's supposed to be released this fall.

Maybe one day they'll also release a version of Tetris Attack that you can play over the Internet. The game that's getting the most play time on our Wii is the same one that always did on our N64 when it was hooked up--Pokemon Puzzle League.

Perhaps you can join me in my griping about not having Puzzle Collection brought to the USA, for 4 player variants of that and Dr. Mario.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should really try out Poker Smash on the 360. It's a lot like Tetris Attack, but it's got some things that add depth to it. I'm not very good at it, but it's really fun and addicting whenever I try it. And it has online everything including shared videos of high scorers.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You guys should really try out Poker Smash on the 360. It's a lot like Tetris Attack, but

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
You guys should really try out Poker Smash on the 360. It's a lot like Tetris Attack, but

I think you got cut off. Or you're trying to say something about how it's the same as Tetris Attack. BUT IT'S NOT! You need to balance using bullet time, pieces can be used to go for any Poker Hand, making it worth your while to keep an eye out for complicated ones like a Royal Flush, you can drop bombs to instantly destroy a piece and keep your combo going, you've got certain moments where a specific suit is called out and you've got to go for it. There are tons of differences. Not to mention the fact that the interface is actually a bit better than Tetris Attack's. Using the right stick to move individual pieces anywhere in a row (even over air) is a lot more interesting than just swapping two pieces.

Watch some of the high score videos. There are people who get some insane combos that are only possible because they've somehow mastered all of these techniques and can use them in tandem. It's a superb game.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's also totally indie. Going to this site I found out that the sound design was done by one of the founding members of Stretch Arm Strong, which is a hardcore band that I really dig.

So yeah, it's a freaking great game.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I ever mention that I got second place in the Star Soldier competition at the launch party a couple of months back? I won a six-month supply of coffee. Which is better than a six-month supply of beef. Good thing I didn't get first place!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cut of beef?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prairie Oyster, I have to assume.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: