The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Data corruption help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Data corruption help Reply with quote

So I've got a couple of discs here. There's stuff on them. They won't boot anymore, on my PC -- yet I can read the files off them with my DVD player.

What I'm wondering is: is there a way I can skip the handshaking junk and access the data on the disc, to retrieve and rescue it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first track probably damaged

try holding down shift while inserting disk to get past aurorun error

These guys have a free data recovery demo available for download, otherwise you can start looking here
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it just gives me a curiously wordy popup, stating "Windows cannot read from this disk [sic]. The disk [sic] may be corrupted, or it may be using a format that is incompatible with Windows".

I'll check out the utility.

No, that's no good. Won't even recognize there's a disc in the drive. Then again, it's a demo that on't let me save anyway. But now I know the general kind of thing to keep an eye out for...
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have a similar problem, but it's with a USB flash drive. When ever I put it in a PC it locks up the PC no matter the format the PC. It never get's to the point where I can even see the usb key folder, the whole PC locks up before that. If I pull the USB key the PC un-locks but I can't access the stick of memory ever.

Is there anyway to have it auto-format when inserting a USB memory stick?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried another drive in another computer?

alternately - find someone with an old combo dvr-dvd type machine, and make a copy that way. which will suck cause tivo fucked that market to death.

shapes, i got nothin'. that's pretty weird.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
shapes, i got nothin'. that's pretty weird.

Yeah, I know, and I really need it.

aderack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've had similarly weird things happen with drives that won't boot correctly. They make a computer go nuts. And once I tried to boot up a computer with a memory stick plugged in, and it refused to boot. It took forever to figure out what was wrong. Unplug the stick and boot it did.

Not sure how to access the data.

Regarding the DVDs: I haven't tried them in other DVD drives as such. Again, though, they play in my standalone DVD player (which can read a lot of video formats). And I just found that they work perfectly well in my Xbox 360. So clearly the data is accessible. Just, not immediately with anything that will let me get the data off.

If I didn't mention, that tool linked above didn't do me any good. I'll look for some other tools later. Thanks for putting me on a helpful track.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alternately, if you know someone with a usb/firewire dvd drive, they could try that.

shaper - do you know someone with a mac, maybe? or a linux machine? if it's fotzing windows machines, that would be my next try.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:

Regarding the DVDs: I haven't tried them in other DVD drives as such. Again, though, they play in my standalone DVD player (which can read a lot of video formats). And I just found that they work perfectly well in my Xbox 360. So clearly the data is accessible. Just, not immediately with anything that will let me get the data off.

Sounds like a DRM issue. My netflix have been becoming less and less watchable on my computer.

So I have to watch them on my portable DVD player.

Try ripping?
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're things I burned myself, full of video and sound files. It's a nuisance that I can only get at them indirectly...
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
shaper - do you know someone with a mac, maybe? or a linux machine? if it's fotzing windows machines, that would be my next try.

I should have a macbook later this week, so I'll try that. It works in my PS3, but there's no formatting utility.

Mindless

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have you tried another drive in another computer?

I probably support dhex's suggestion. I've seen errors before where computers will be unable to read certain data from recorded disks. They will usually play anything bought from a shop fine, but as soon as you use a data disc it's throw a fit.

This is usually caused either by a loose connection to the DVD/CD drive or a faulty laser.

If it's not the drive, it could be Windows. If you find a Linux disc boot (runs linux from a DVD or flash disk) such as Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html). this will allow you to try the disc and move the files onto your pc. When you reboot windows the files should be in the file manager. If you're using a DVD tho, you will need two drives Razz .

These are only ideas and it's almost impossible to do more than postulate without the system in front of me.
Redeye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any luck?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: