The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bangai-O Spirits Noise Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Bangai-O Spirits Noise Thread Reply with quote

Well, rather map thread. The game uses audio to transfer maps and replays. Kind of brilliant and very quaint in an old pc code sharing in the 80's sort of way.

So, I decided to make a map. Here it is, sorry about the wma format. I'm curious to see what people think about the level and the weapon set up they end up using. The level is quite diverse.

I'd also like to see other people's maps too.

And for posterity purpose, here's the Treasure level maker challenge click on special, and then a couple more. It's a shame you can only keep 24 maps. At least you can record your own maps so you can save them for later.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bangai-O Spirits Noise Thread Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Well, rather map thread. The game uses audio to transfer maps and replays. Kind of brilliant and very quaint in an old pc code sharing in the 80's sort of way.

it's also a fucking macguyver solution to the problem of distributing content between game machines that don't really have an infrastructure for that: hitching a ride on an existing infrastructure for digital distribution.

i ought to buy the american version of the game and start making some levels.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll get on that.

tgq best level competition?
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got this to work! Interesting map, Shaper. I... don't understand how you've modified enemy size as much as you have. I can get it to paste normal and 2x as large, but nothing else. Is that really all you used?

Anyway, I got to the boss but haven't beaten it yet. Gonna keep working at my own level before I even try figuring out how to record.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all I used plus I also used half size.

Also, what weapon combination are you using? I'd love to see other people's maps too.

Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounce-Break / Bounce-Break, actually. Once I really internalized the fact that Bounce shots have minor homing when they bounce near enemies, I pretty much used that as my main approach to every level.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks! The level was designed with a specific weapon in mind, and I'm curious to see what people end up using. I'm more curious to see just how robust the game is and how many different ways of tackling objectives there are.

Last edited by Shapermc on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game seems to freeze when I try to do a sound transfer? I AM using a flashcard, so that may explain it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I think I'm done with my first real level. It's stupidly hard because I'm not good at shooter design; I just plop enemies down wherever seems appropriate and if the result is unplayable, well, at least people can cheat to see what the rest of the level looks like.

Soon as I get to a computer with a microphone, I'll upload my level and my replay of Shaper's.

If you save a replay of a custom level, you can play it back on ANY custom level! That's appropriate, considering how the game saves replays, but I still think it's fun and funny--and it gives me an idea.

One person designs a custom level, plays through it normally, then uploads the replay here. We all download the replay and design levels that the replay can beat. Then we compare all the levels and see how similar the original level is to the "remakes".
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I just used a 1/8" male jack to 1/8" male jack cable to record out of the headphone jack on the DS.

They're less than $5, and you may even have an old pair of speakers laying around that needs them. Hell, my monitor came with one.

Also, I'm working on another level. It's designed for both being an awesome boss fight, and for score. If you just want to finish the level it's quick with lots o explosions. If you go for score it becomes very dangerous. It's fun too. I'll post it soon, I'm just tweaking some balance issues on the score side of things.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I beat your level on my second try with the Bat/Shield - Bounce/Homing combo.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. That's the intended setup too.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Sweet. That's the intended setup too.

Well, to be fair that's what was already set up when I got the level so I went with it. I'm not sure if that transferred with the level or if it's what I already had. I tend to use that setup minus the bat, plus a sword.

I also didn't really see a good use for the bat until the boss.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I also didn't really see a good use for the bat until the boss.

The boss, and the mini-enemies are the reason for the bat mostly, but it also makes the opening situation a bit more handleable. If you use regular weapons on the opening section with the blue diamonds there's a huge probability that you will open up too many of the enemies and get into a tight spot.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
If you use regular weapons on the opening section with the blue diamonds there's a huge probability that you will open up too many of the enemies and get into a tight spot.

I didn't even use the bat on those enemies. I just dashed into them.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bangai-O Spirits Noise Thread Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:

So, I decided to make a map. Here it is, sorry about the wma format. I'm curious to see what people think about the level and the weapon set up they end up using. The level is quite diverse.

its a nice level. my load out for fighting it was homing-breaker normal attack napalm-bounce EX attack. the big spinny boss at the end was a bit too easy though.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until my next level's out. I put a bit more effort into making the boss more... bossy

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I finished up my boss level.

There are two ways to play this: safe and speedy, or dangerous for points. So, essentially it's easy to beat, hard to score well on. Post your scores for Big Boss.

Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this game is so fun. Hard, but fun. Well worth the week it took me to find my DS.

I just loaded up your levels, Shaper, and I will try to beat them again later (I got completely decimated, though I only tried them once or twice.)

I love how the level load works... someone should build a Bangaiou Level archive site or something.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this, and haven't even gotten through half the tutorials yet... but my first reaction isn't positive, 'cause it seems to lack the elegance of the weapon balance of the original, along with "Robotron" style directional control... the vibe seems even more puzzle vibey...
for starters, I'm already not quite getting about MIX vs regular weapons...

am I wrong in this? given how much I love the original I'm definitely willing to stick it out for a bit, so maybe I should just shut up and play. But for people who like both, is the vibe different or the same?
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a different game, and I don't like it as much. So far.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that I feel the DC version is the best (I think the combo system is better), but this is good too, if a different type of game.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, I wrote the (ok, a) FAQ for DC Bangai-O, and so far I can't make it past the final tutorial.

I think I'm missing something in terms of recharging my weapons? I dunno, it seems pretty stingy in terms of health and ammo.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I ask this in all seriousness: are you sure you know how to shoot right?

I was asked this and realized that NO I didn't. So Dess happily informed me of the one simple thing that made this game go from "nearly impossible" to "great"

To shoot, make sure you're not pressing the d-pad in any direction. When you shoot w/o hitting a direction button it goes into auto-aim mode. Now feel free to move around the screen while you're shooting is auto-aimed. Also, use the EX stuff frivolously, it comes back so quick.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your EX meter recharges when you grab fruit, by the way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I at least intellectually knew about the aiming and the fruit;
like w/ the last level of the tutorial, you have a boss character in a kind of final room... if you've cleared all the fruit from the previous room, and are low on EX, it seems really tough to do any kind of EX recharging, and I think your regular guns are overpowered by the guy pretty easily. I think.

I'll give it another shot.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked up a copy of the american release, by the way. at some point i'll put a stage together.

the animation of the bangai-o flying away at the end of a stage was added to the us version, and it annoys me. the greyscale tilesets are new too, as are the portrait stages built out of them. the categories ("puzzle stages", "treasure's best") are new, too: the japanese release has them all dumped together. i kind of prefer them that way. as it is, the vast majority of the stages are lumped together under "other stages".

(the tiling background on the upper screen has been changed, too.)

nothing else seems changed between the original release and this one, aside from a bunch of new stages.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the animation of the bangai-o flying away at the end of a stage was added to the us version, and it annoys me.

I heard they added it, but I thought it was a nod back to the DC version, chunky pixels and all. I'm not sure if you can skip it in the DC version, though. I could also be remembering things wrong.
WarpZone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the japanese release has them all dumped together. i kind of prefer them that way.

Did the Japanese release still have similarly themed stages (ie: racing stages, stages where you're surrounded, etc...) next to each other on the big list, like this version does with the 'Other' category, or are they mixed around more? I'd rather have a grab bag where I wouldn't know what twist came next, rather than exhausting all variations at once (which psychologically makes it feel like there's less variety then there really is), and vaguely increasing the difficulty as they went would have done a lot to boost the accessibility.

And overall, this structure makes the whole thing feel like an expansion or 'Greatest Hits' Bangai-O rather than a new game with new ideas that it wants to show you, despite there being good new ideas, like the seamlessly integrated physics/melee system and shameless conceptual overloading (the final boss from the last game becomes a mini-boss encountered in different contexts -- how Treasure!).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

similiar stages are grouped together. the "other" category looks pretty close to the japanese game in terms of stage order, aside from the more interesting stages having been pulled out and dumped under "puzzle stages".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: