The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

persistence is all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: persistence is all Reply with quote

or so coil has told me a few times.

but i fail in that regard much more often than not when it comes to games. my threshold for challenge (or abuse) shrinks with each passing year. some of this is due to time constraints and rsi. some is that i simply do not have the will to nintendo power anymore.

the other day i started up call of chthulu; i bought it years before and but gave up right at the first stealth bit in the store. this time i got all the way up to the first night in town, when you have to run away from murderous assholes, locking doors behind you and making improbable leaps. it's a great segment and a sure rush of adrenaline, but after five tries i just plain gave up. i know it's a matter of learning the ways and hows to shave off enough time to get through it without too much damage, but i am just unable to muster the effort.

i figure my actual game completion rate is probably around 20%. but i do enjoy them anyway; just not enough to do things over and over again.

so, dearest tgqians, where do you throw in the towel? most of you probably play a far greater range and number of titles than i do, to say the least. is there a kind of developer trick you've grown to loathe? a simple unwillingness to press continue beyond a certain point? time limits?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that part of CoC is stupidly hard. It only gets worse after that. You gave up at the right time. Though, you didn't get to see the best environments. I only made it through the next section then gave up. Don't feel too bad.

As far as giving up purely because things are "too hard" I don't do it much because I generally know what I'm getting into. I also don't play games for the first time on their hardest difficulty. I usually aim for the medium setting.

I usually stop playing games out of boredom honestly. The most recent game I gave up because of honest to god difficulty was Persona's most recent affair.

On the other side of things, I usually just cheat if things really get that hard.

Oh, wait, I gave up on Contra 4 after beating the "practice" difficulty because that game is full of bullshit. That's the last game I gave up on for that reason.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Redeye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated and loved that part.

Too much memorization, though.

After finishing that part honestly I switched to god mode or unlimited ammo mode or something like that. Then I just played to game to look at the environments.

It could have been better.

A version with modules would have been welcome.

I am surprised that the site is still up.

Imagine an RPG version: "Rumors?"

(It's a Beth game.)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think there's a god mode version for the pc. if there is i'm going to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i don't think there's a god mode version for the pc. if there is i'm going to use it.

This may help

Or try this, which is apparently well tested and just makes it less frustrating
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty persistant trying to beat the Hell level in Cave Story. And Metal Slug, too- I played through that HUNDREDS of times. getting just a little bit further with each play session. I'm almost not sure what's in it for me!
Six

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Redeye already pointed out both patches I was going to link. Haven't tried the second one, though.

What's funny about Call of Cthulhu is that, from what I understand, some of the bugginess is dependent on screen size. Like, the higher your resolution, the slower you'll walk -- which is infuriating, because it just feels like the game is unreasonably hard instead of obviously broken.

I only found out about all of this when I was right at the end of the game, after attempting to brute-force my way through the final segment (which is even more cruelly timed than that first chase.) I'm not sure exactly how long I spent on that last bit, but I recall being shouting mad, giving up to look for cheats, and learning that there had been all sorts of nigh-unnoticeable but significant bugs throughout the game that I had somehow worked my way around.

It's definitely worth playing through, regardless. Just don't be like me.

I tried reinstalling Bloodlines today, incidentally, but even using the latest unofficial patch ran into some show-stopping glitches within the first hour or two. There's some really good stuff going on here, but I just don't think I'll be able to work up the patience to stick with it. Shame, because it's exactly the kind of game I'm craving right now, and I don't think I want to play through Deus Ex again quite yet.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six wrote:
I tried reinstalling Bloodlines today, incidentally, but even using the latest unofficial patch ran into some show-stopping glitches within the first hour or two. There's some really good stuff going on here, but I just don't think I'll be able to work up the patience to stick with it. Shame, because it's exactly the kind of game I'm craving right now, and I don't think I want to play through Deus Ex again quite yet.

I gave up on Bloodlines when I decided that I was being led on a wild goose chase. Somewhere in the second major location I was given the task to find someone in the sewers. It was one of those unignorable plot points too, as I tried to follow every other strand of narrative available to me and they all led back to this finding of someone in the sewers. I looked everywhere in those sewers then decided to look online to see what I was doing wrong. It turned out that I wasn't the person just wasn't in my game for what ever reason. So, I can't finish the game. That's why I stopped playing Bloodlines. There was a lot of very good and interesting things in that game, but it's not worth starting over hoping that after a dozen hours of playing everything over that for some reason the game doesn't break this time.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having to send Six one of my saves to get around a terrible game breaking bug that appears randomly in Calls of Cthullu. The only other major one I encountered was the one he talked about, there the final part of the game is impossible to win if you have the wrong resolution set!

I played the entire game vanilla, on regular difficulty. The game becomes much easier once you get a few guns and a decent amount of ammo, but it also loses alot of the tension. It was incredibly painful at times, but I don't regret playing through the whole thing. It's quite an exeperience, and though some of their ideas didn't work, I hope other developers steal the ones that worked.

Was the Xbox version more playable? The PC version was actually supposed to be cancelled, but ONE PERSON did the port himself and got it released, which is why it's rather dodgy. But considering the amount of work to be done, it could have been a lot worse... good work, buddy!

I reviewed this game for PCPP when it came out. It's one of the few reviews I regret... I feel I was too harsh on it (though I was actually much more forgiving than most other mainstream reviews), but it's the kind of review I had to write...

I'm not patient with puzzles these days. If I know a game is gonna have me do stupid nonsensical puzzles between the action, I keep a walkthrough handy so I don't have to deal with that bullshit. It's helped me enjoy many games much more than I would have.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
getting just a little bit further with each play session.

i had a run like this last year with dodonpachi. actually got up to 16 million, which was impressive for me. of course i haven't touched it in months so i probably suck (worse) again.

bloodlines, i never had any technical issues with, using the standard steam patched version. it's too bad that you guys have, because it's a fantastic game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project: Bloodlines conversion to up-to-date version of Source engine. Hopefully this won't be vaporware.

It's just some map editing at this point.

I guess I'll wait a year or so before reinstalling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: