The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

love is a bullet, i am a gun.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: love is a bullet, i am a gun. Reply with quote

calamity annie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess games I still haven't played because they immediately crash on startup:

Invader
Mighty Jill Off
Calamity Annie

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

22nd baddest hombre! Yeah I died on like the third or fourth guy. I'll be back with my real high score after my first completion.

I am continually impressed with your output, Dess. I enjoy how conceptually elegant your games always turn out while still containing gameplay hooks that harken back to the arcade days of yore. One of the first things to run through my mind while watching the intro cutscene and listening to the music (which is all very well done, by the way) was that this game would not be entirely out of place as some cabinet in a pizza parlor or a bar, complete with a special vertical oriented screen of course.

Kind of makes me thing of that Wild Gunman game from Back to the Future II.

I feel kind of sorry for you, Swimmy. You've been missing out on some really neat experiences. I look forward to seeing everyone's high scores, and I look forward to playing your next project Dess, good luck.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swimmy, one of the greatest frustrations i have with working with game maker is the feeling that the game, as regards technical issues, is entirely out of my hands. i was hoping that game maker 7 would cut out those crashes which i really don't understand, but i guess not. sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The presentation here is spot on! Music, graphics, gameplay are all internally cohesive.

It's really hard to play on a trackpad though.

Well, done, as always!
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
swimmy, one of the greatest frustrations i have with working with game maker is the feeling that the game, as regards technical issues, is entirely out of my hands. i was hoping that game maker 7 would cut out those crashes which i really don't understand, but i guess not. sorry.

I was afraid of that. Best I can hope to do is borrow a friend's computer when I move back in with the old roomies from college.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy, what's your graphics card? I use to have this problem but it was because of driver compatability, try rolling back your drivers, or updating them and it might work.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
wourme

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work. I got 13th place on my first try. (Actually, I lost all my lives on a single encounter, and I'm not entirely sure why.)

For some reason, several of the opponents remind me of Pee-Wee Herman as a cowboy in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.
parkbench

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess, I really liked this game. i died at

The aesthetic is spot-on. The presentation is very slick--everything holds to the aesthetic, down to the cards for lives. can i get a sprite sheet of the hombres? they're great. speaking of which--are the name/sprite combinations randomised? if so, bravo.

The mechanics themselves are wonderful; I didn't think I'd enjoy the game at all at first but it's just challenging enough and not at all tedious that I was compelled after the first draw.

I love how there's the little bonus for shooting the gun out of the other hombre's hand. After I figured that out, I kept trying to get the disarm bonus until the penultimate set of guys when it started getting hard.

the little bonus games are great. i didn't even realise at first that you had limited bullets, which is a nice touch. i'm used to reckless shootin'.

and I really, really appreciate the little intermediate "story" sequences that involve using the gun with the girl (the cigarette, the bottle). they're subtle, but very engaging. player agency is such a simple thing, but so elegant when it's used properly! by the by, why did you decide to let the story continue upon a restart of the game?

oh, and nice shoutout to glorious trainwreck.

my best score is either $8550 or $9170 (on the former I got to a farther hombre). i can't seem to find the high score table, though. regardless, 10th place was my best.

the only negative thing i might have to say is that after you've played the game once and the main menu screen has three options, all three of them flashing at once can be kind of overbearing.

a+ cheers!
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Dess games I still haven't played because they immediately crash on startup:

Invader
Mighty Jill Off
Calamity Annie

Do a virus scan. I finally got rid of something that was causing problems with active X content, and everything ran fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench wrote:
dess, I really liked this game. i died at

does this mean you never died? is this a riddle?

i'm putting up a spritesheet of the hombres on sunday (sunday is pixel sundays on my blog).

so there are twenty-five different hombres (plus five extra for people who donate), some of whom only appear in certain parts of the game, whose order is randomly determined at the start of each game. each hombre has four different names (except the one i couldn't think of alternate names for), one of which is randomly chosen each game.

i made the story persistant between games partly because the actions that advance the story lose their impact if the player is forced to repeat them every time she plays and partly because i was interested in telling a story about a relationship, and relationships develop and change over time. and i think that kind of persistance, where one play of the game affects others, is just beginning to be explored (by jesse venbrux in particular).

oh, and there isn't a high score table. only your single highest score is recorded, and the game reminds you of it when you game over.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit, dess, what an awesome game!

Elegant, no fucking around, fast and able to click through the already short between-game moments. I like the mechanic a lot (I was shit at it until I started playing with the tablet, but that's also because I'm left handed and I use the mouse with my right), and I felt it had a nice difficulty curve too. Just challenging enough to stay interesting and make me want to keep playing, but not hard enough that I just went, "FUCK THIS!" and turned it off.

And I hate westerns! So well done, I really enjoyed that.

Reminds me of this western-themed game I used to play when I was a reeeally small girl, that had these "between-game" moments where you could flirt with the belle of the town and whatnot. Wish I could remember the name.

I got a disarm bonus on Hard Gay! I loved the name "Boy Howdy", I think it's my favourite.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dess, for your next game, how about a political thriller? Starring a young black lesbian?

You can call it "Lefty Lucy".

The antagonist is an old white guy named "Roy Teetoity".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I hear the very handsome Harveyjames is a secret character in this game. He's a handsome fellow. It must be a pretty good game to have someone so handsome and cool in it.

Love,

Tim Rogers
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey shaper i have a bone to pick with you are you ready i hope not
i heard the only reason you beat this game is because i beat it and you were all WELL IF DAPHNY CAN BEAT IT THEN I CAN

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN, BUDDY
WATCH YOUR BACK

highscore 17700 BITCHES shut up shaper your high score is a fluke and i will kick its ass
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in swimmy's boat, too. i get the splash screen, and then a windowed screen (rectangular, oriented portrait) pops up. it doesn't crash, but nothing else happens either.

never had any problem with the earlier games.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$7340 is my top score so far. I'm one bad hombre!

Some of those dudes are modelled after Hard Gay, right?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the special hombres (he won't appear in the earlier stages) is a contemporary leatherman with shades and a police cap. and yes, one of the names i was considering for him was "hard guy".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First shot:

All that time on Team Fortress 2 has paid off!

I'm thinking I should've beaten the last fight differently...
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONFETTI WAS MY IDEA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, confetti was my idea. you just kept telling me to put more of it.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
i heard the only reason you beat this game is because i beat it and you were all WELL IF DAPHNY CAN BEAT IT THEN I CAN

Because all you do is yell and run around and shout when playing games. This means that if you can beat the game then I can because I use my brain when I play!

So, you watch your back!

parkbench

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
does this mean you never died? is this a riddle?

woops. i meant to write about my highscore shennanigans there but i guess i opted for below.

Quote:
so there are twenty-five different hombres (plus five extra for people who donate), some of whom only appear in certain parts of the game, whose order is randomly determined at the start of each game. each hombre has four different names (except the one i couldn't think of alternate names for), one of which is randomly chosen each game.

cool! i'm definitely going to donate, then.

Quote:

i made the story persistant between games partly because the actions that advance the story lose their impact if the player is forced to repeat them every time she plays and partly because i was interested in telling a story about a relationship, and relationships develop and change over time. and i think that kind of persistance, where one play of the game affects others, is just beginning to be explored (by jesse venbrux in particular).

yeah, I can see it now, and it definitely makes sense. i appreciate it even more, then.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys

it's been awhile since I've posted here!

but I really enjoyed this game. I've already posted about it many other places, but... well, I want to post about it more. it's really that good!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's kind of addictive isn't it? 14980 is my top score at the moment. Really like the little story bits and the interactions you do, like lighting her cigarette or breaking her bottle. It's all very clever. The little mini games that pop up every so often are a nice little distraction as well. They take some of the heat off you after you've spent however long nervously staring at that black screen and watching that tumbleweed, with one life to go, thinking if this is going to be the one that makes you have to start all over again.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaper currently has the highest score that i know of. my own highest is $16810.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dess i found what i believe to be a bug in your game

if i was on the beta testing team it wouldn't have made it to release and caused you embarrasment
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HATS FLYING OFF WAS MY IDEA

shaper i use my brain i can just multitask really well so i can do all that shouting and stuff on the side okay GOD YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VRONK WAS MY IDEA
purplechair

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeusJester wrote:
First shot:

All that time on Team Fortress 2 has paid off!

I'm thinking I should've beaten the last fight differently...

This post is almost exactly what I was going to say, right down to the high score.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

108 wrote:
Hey I hear the very handsome Harveyjames is a secret character in this game. He's a handsome fellow. It must be a pretty good game to have someone so handsome and cool in it.

Love,

Tim Rogers

Yes, that is right Tim, I am indeed in this game. You'll have to donate money to Dessgeega to unlock me and other secret characters, though! Thanks for your interest!
Worm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great looking. There's probably no easy way to port the assets into flash, but I think it could do really well in a browser.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Yes, that is right Tim, I am indeed in this game. You'll have to donate money to Dessgeega to unlock me and other secret characters, though! Thanks for your interest!

Was that Daphny's idea?
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench wrote:
oh, and nice shoutout to glorious trainwreck.

Yes, thank you!

I've only played it through once ($15800 or something I think -- I could have done much better if I'd known about the disarmament bonus earlier), and I totally got the good ending because I saw the final showdown coming. I'm glad to hear that the relationship progresses over multiple playthroughs -- that's a touch I was hoping for after the first cutscene. Now Valentine rides with me through the entire opening sequence!

"Connecticut Leatherman" is the name I got for Hard Gay. That's a totally phenomenal name.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the entire playtest group was sworn against letting you know about that before the game was released.

so now that this project is out of the way: klik of the month club is what, the second saturday of every month?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not donating because i don't want james harvey in my game

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
think of it as the chance to shoot james harvey

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
dark steve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do that for free though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think bullets are cheap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juLQBeZXmPU
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONATING FOR EXTRA THINGS WAS MY IDEA
DESS WANTED TO FORCE EVERYONE TO PAY FOR THE GAME
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
Cycle wrote:
think of it as the chance to shoot james harvey

dark steve wrote:
You can do that for free though.

YOU PACK OF ASSES
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the technical term is "fanny pack".

I wonder what the fanny packs are like in England.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks really neat, I wish there was an easy way to play these games on my computer.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
so now that this project is out of the way: klik of the month club is what, the second saturday of every month?

Third.

(This goes for the rest of you, too!)
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger, ace.

so hey, if those of you who can't run the game are dying to know what it looks and sounds like in motion, tim from the indiegames blog has recorded some gameplay footage for me. ta-dah.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
I think the technical term is "fanny pack".

I wonder what the fanny packs are like in England.
this is a whole The Office routine

I get a weird glitch when I play this under Parallels, where it mis-aligns the actual graphics inside the game window so that the top of the screen gets cut off and the bottom has a black bar (even though the actual window seems fine). I think it has something to do with running XP in a window, at a strange resolution (the size of the window), and this passing a lot of screwy data around. I'll have to experiment with Paralells' full-screen mode. Also this is hard as hell to play on a touchpad.

I can't tell you how happy I was when I stumbled on my first bonus, though!

update: full screen makes the problem worse, changing the resolution to make it so low that that calamity's window just barely doesn't fit makes it work fine for some strange reason, and I need to find a mouse.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was never able to get GameMaker-based stuff working acceptably under Parallels. That's pretty much why I dual-boot.

Wanting a Wii port ITT.

Also dess called me a big poop when I donated :/
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Wanting a Wii port ITT.

man, tell that to glovepie.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, no problems running it - played it straight from the zip - but I'm not too good. Well, I was doing fine until the third or so tier when one shooter took me for all three lives.

If I could, I'd burn your barn down, random Western thug. Know that.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry daph, I didn't realize that my comment read so harsh ;_;

I was just trying to be funny since I had no real reason to say that in the first place, outside of just, you know, to man the fuck up kinda thing.

Also, play more of this game!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: