The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Creator's Club subscription!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Free Creator's Club subscription! Reply with quote

Soooo, the big yearly XNA Contest has begun and one of the perks for taking part in it is that you get a free year of XNA Creator's Club ($100 value sort of). It looks like it's a limited version of the subscription, but you can at least play games you create on the Xbox hardware without paying a penny. More information is here:

http://www.dreambuildplay.com/

I encourage everyone who's at least a tiny bit interested to create an account. Even if you don't enter a game in the contest you'll at least get a year in the Creator's Club.

If anyone decides to do this, post here about how much access they give you for free.

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process of redeeming your membership is EXTREMELY vague -- they just hand you a 25-digit code and link you to a five-minute video which mentions at about the three minute mark that you have to type it in on the "Redeem Code" section of the Marketplace blade on your Xbox where you would normally expect Xbox Live Points card codes to go. And then apparently if you use XNA Game Launcher instead of XNA Game Studio Connect, you can't actually connect your Xbox to your PC even though it gives you what seems to be the right kind of 25-digit code to punch into your computer.

So, yeah, I think it just lets me compile stuff and download it to my Xbox? I can't seem to make any community games download from the website, and nothing seems to magically show up for me on the Xbox, soooo...

The whole Creator's Club thing in general is great, but it needs way more signage. It was easier and less confusing to get homebrew running on my Wii for Christ's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still in beta!

But you're right. It's pretty confusing. Once you have a Creator's Club membership (after you've redeemed that code), you should have a new section in the "My Games" are of your 360 that's called "My XNA Games" or something like that. Within this section you can download any games that have been approved by pressing "Y" on the controller. Voila, you're playing homebrew.

The big problem is that pressing "Y" to download new games is super unintuitive and not documented anywhere.

What's confusing right now is that when people put up games for review they are quickly downloaded by a certain number of current members and put into a "processing" status, meaning that no more people can download the review version and nobody can download the final game until it's made it past review status and been put up for download.

So in essence, the only way you'll know if your 360 is hooked up to your PC will be to create one of their sample files, connect Visual Studio Express w/ XNA to your Xbox, and press F5 (or is it F6?) to send it over and make sure that it runs.

If you can download XNA games, I highly recommend JellyCar, Gymnast, Word Soup, and RC AirSim. Also download DKP Zero as a fucking amazingly glorious Trainwreck.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded all the stuff and made it all go. Then I remembered how much I hate programming.

Edit: To clarify, I don't know the first thing about object-orientated programming, but what I hate is the fact that it's so bloody impossible to just FIGURE OUT.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplechair wrote:
I downloaded all the stuff and made it all go. Then I remembered how much I hate programming.

Edit: To clarify, I don't know the first thing about object-orientated programming, but what I hate is the fact that it's so bloody impossible to just FIGURE OUT.

It won't help with programming overall, but if you're looking for a good place to get started, the "help" menu of Visual C# Express with XNA gives a simple example of pretty much any standard game-related thing you'd ever need to know.

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally confirmed for certain this morning that there is no downloading of community games with the free DreamBuildPlay Creator's Club membership. Saaaad faaace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: