The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody Here Importing Shiren 3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Anybody Here Importing Shiren 3? Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

Anybody here almost as silly as me and considering importing Shiren 3? Sure there MAY be an eventual English port but YOU KNOW that won't be for years if at all.

I've managed to stumble through previous Japanese Mystery Dungeon games so I'm not too concerned about the language barrier but I am deathly afraid this will be come one of the titles Free Loader can't handle for some strange reason.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my experience with the Yangus import (which is even a MUCH easier roguelike) I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
After my experience with the Yangus import (which is even a MUCH easier roguelike) I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon.

That one scared me off due to all of the very specific quests and quizzes I heard about ahead of time. I also think it was a case of "too much of a good thing" (feature creep) where once you found out a few loopholes in the creature breeding it wasn't that hard to craft some unbeatable wonder beast (but then again, as this was all from reading other's forum posts and might not REALLY be as broken as a few folk claimed). It felt like, much like I fear with the upcoming Chocobo game, another company using the basic Chunsoft Mystery Dungeon engine without a clue how to keep things sufficiently balanced.
Access

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww I thought you had made a typo and you meant Siren 3.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Access wrote:
Aww I thought you had made a typo and you meant Siren 3.

Right back at you in reverse as I've often quickly scanned through gaming article titles and become disappointed when the clicked link is all about some silly horror game!
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(reprint of post on Select Button)

Well I got my copy and can proudly say that, via the US Free Loader, I can play Shiren 3 in ALL of it's glory (even the online stuff). Sure there is the blatant language barrier so I have no clue about plot points (my basic deal is if I see an NPC I talk to them...who knows, it might open something up). Thankfully, with the help of my main Shiren 3 FAQ site (http://dungeon.jp/shiren3/) I'm able to at least catch onto any key story points (they describe how to open all of the dungeons and luckily most are just a matter of clearing the previous dungeon but there are some that require a chat with specific characters at certain points in the story). The FAQ site is still in it's very early and incomplete stages but having used these same folk for previous Mystery Dungeon games, I know it will eventually be extremely comprehensive.

At the moment (having cleared the first couple of little dungeons and an early boss) my biggest difficulty is trying to understand the subtleties of my AI partner control. It's really easy to equip party members, switch active characters, or even take control of all characters (like if I want to micro manage things in a boss fight), but what I'm still trying to figure out is what the many AI configuration options available do (I can only hope they'll eventually list this stuff in the FAQ site, but then again this might be such obvious stuff to native Japanese speakers there is no reason to even waste space on the FAQ for it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: