The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issue #2 Now Available

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Issue #2 Now Available Reply with quote

The Gamer's Quarter #2 is now available for download here. Please enter your e-mail address into the mailing list section on the left to receive updates on when you can purchase a physical copy of The Gamer's Quarter Issue 2. This issue features 112 pages of content spread over 18 articles. It's our biggest and best issue ever! Just check out this article list:
    The Creation of a New Style, Giant Fish and the Fight for Survival - Randorama
    A Darius Retrospective
    Four Games - seryogin
    From Russia to New York via Games
    Important Failures in Videogame History - ApM
    The Pre-History of Video Gaming
    In Which I Discover That The King of Fighters is Really Pretty Great - Ajutla
    In a Way That Mortal Kombat Isn't, I Mean.
    It’s a Gamer's World Out There - Szczepaniak
    A Different Perspective
    Light at the End of the Tunnel - Sushi d
    Cave Story - Doukutsu Monogatari
    Logging Out of a Matrix Called Halo 2 - Stash
    Halo 2
    Nerves of Steel in Battalion Hell - Szczepaniak
    Steel Battalion
    New Advice Journalism - dhex
    Keep Your Fonzie Offa My Gonzo
    Oh What a Difference an Eyebrow Can Make - SuperWes
    An Interview With Ryoichi Hasegawa
    Persona visits E3 - Persona-sama
    Impressionistic Impressions of E3
    Pongism – Theory and Practice - Ajutla
    A Study of the Distilled Essence of the Video Game
    Prince of Hearts - Mr. Mechanical/RaBeeWilliams
    Ico & Prince of Persia: Point/Counter Point
    S*2 Omake! 01.5 - Noodles & Childhood - Persona-Sama
    The ongoing adventures of the anomaly discrimination force
    Seiklus - Mister Toups
    An Interview with Clysm
    Untold Tales of The Arcade: Mission Secret - Randorama
    A Look Into Old and Obscure Arcade Games
    We All Live In a Pokémon World - Persona-sama
    Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
    Why Game? - Mr. Mechanical
    What's it all for?
Available NOW!
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying the finished product so far. Seryogin, I have to hand it to you, I just got done reading Four Games and I'm speechless. Nice work.
Stash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
I'm really enjoying the finished product so far. Seryogin, I have to hand it to you, I just got done reading Four Games and I'm speechless. Nice work.

Agreed, the first three descriptions were fun reads, but I was blown away by his experience with FF8. I've never even played the game, but the way he illustrated the game was glorious and soulful. As cliche as it sounds, I can relate to his tale of lonliness and his appreciation for something so genuinely beautiful. I'm glad he saved the best for last.

Great work. I still have the rest of the mag finish.
burnsro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the Seiklus interview, it was long and satisfying. I got the feeling of happiness kind of like after eating a big meal.

I haven't read much else of it but I see that it covers Lunar, and KOF which I both like. Oh and Darius..I like that game, I have Darius Gaiden for the Saturn.

Oh I like Persona's E3 comic. It's cute and I also thought some parts were funny. It looks much better than Hsu and Chan in EGM..and funnier. There should be a Persona adventure in every issue.

Oh and there needs to be a printed version of this, I hate this PDF crap. I know you guys can conjure up a way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stash wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

Agreed, the first three descriptions were fun reads, but I was blown away by his experience with FF8. I've never even played the game, but the way he illustrated the game was glorious and soulful. As cliche as it sounds, I can relate to his tale of lonliness and his appreciation for something so genuinely beautiful. I'm glad he saved the best for last.

Great work. I still have the rest of the mag finish.

Yes, Four Games is the best thing this issue, I'm convinced.* Hell, it's probably my new favorite piece of Not New Games Journalism.

* Even though everything is pretty great, mind you.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking SWEET. I can't wait to wade through all this. I'm so glad this is out (and I get to be a part of it). Congrats to all.
nICO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnsro wrote:
Oh and there needs to be a printed version of this, I hate this PDF crap. I know you guys can conjure up a way.

So is it in the cards for a way to be conjured this time? Did you guys find a decent, cheap way to print it by any chance?

I've been out all day, so I haven't got a chance to read any of it yet. But I'll check out the new issue tommorrow.
Stash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fuck college kids and their lies. Fuck Blizzard. Fuck everything. You know Pongism is right."

I just finished the article, and I must say, I felt as if I was being viciously assaulted with a barrage of cocky philosophical insight and rampant use of the word "fuck"! I liked it (I actually plan on reading it again to fully grasp the idea of "Pongism"), but I couldn't help but feel I was being yelled at the whole time. Despite my headache, I look forward to reading more of your articles.

And oh yeah, fuck U2. Very Happy
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the issue does end up getting printed we should totally give out, "I subscribe to Pongism" stickers with it.

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice nice. but curse you all, i love will wright. i should put together an article on playing the sfc port of simcity with my mother.

TOTAL NOTE: seiklus fans should totally track down KUDZU. the original version, not the later one where cly5m spoiled the ending.
IIOIOOIOO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Toups. Perhaps a bit less Toupsing in your interviews. 50% of the text was Toups. I just felt like opportunities were missed to explore the hows and whys of that game so that you could focus on establishing yourself as a... something.

All in all, great effort.
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's just another editing issue. There are a few of those. Easy enough to fix next time.
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIOIOOIOO wrote:
Mr Toups. Perhaps a bit less Toupsing in your interviews. 50% of the text was Toups. I just felt like opportunities were missed to explore the hows and whys of that game so that you could focus on establishing yourself as a... something.

Guilty as charged. But in my defense I did cut out some pretty big chunks of it.
IIOIOOIOO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I'm not sure who is doing the editing on these entries, but it might be useful for shaper (or the high-council in whatever form it exists) to publish a set of guidelines internally. Sort of like a set of goalposts. Beyond basic copy edit, it is important for the editor to have a shared understanding of what end he is editing towards.

Also useful related to interviews: You may have 300 words in your question. If you elicited a valuable response, the question likely has little value. In fact it is probable that a very small portion of your question is what triggered the magic. Feel free to edit your questions down. Unless there is a reason to do otherwise, the interviewer should appear as a judo master. Or perhaps a gondolier.

Do you not have editors? Self-editing can be self-defeating. It makes me think of a bumper sticker I once read; "The problems we face today will not be solved by the minds that created them." I'm kind of employed at the time being, but would be happy to help somebody out with first markups.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIOIOOIOO wrote:
Do you not have editors?

We have editors, they are few and overworked. I need more. That aside, we are really still stumbling around in the dark a bit. We learn from our mistakes. Origianly this interview was about 5 pages longer, so in Toups' defense a bit was cut. Thanks for the input. I do take it all very seriously.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can do some copyediting, if you want. i actually studied it during my brief stint in higher education. i noticed a few errors in issue 2.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i can do some copyediting, if you want. i actually studied it during my brief stint in higher education. i noticed a few errors in issue 2.

Excellent. I will keep this in mind. I also have your email. AND! You should link to that mame movie you made. It got lost and I never downloaded it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what, this one?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIOIOOIOO wrote:
Fair enough. I'm not sure who is doing the editing on these entries, but it might be useful for shaper (or the high-council in whatever form it exists) to publish a set of guidelines internally. Sort of like a set of goalposts. Beyond basic copy edit, it is important for the editor to have a shared understanding of what end he is editing towards.

Also useful related to interviews: You may have 300 words in your question. If you elicited a valuable response, the question likely has little value. In fact it is probable that a very small portion of your question is what triggered the magic. Feel free to edit your questions down. Unless there is a reason to do otherwise, the interviewer should appear as a judo master. Or perhaps a gondolier.

Do you not have editors? Self-editing can be self-defeating. It makes me think of a bumper sticker I once read; "The problems we face today will not be solved by the minds that created them." I'm kind of employed at the time being, but would be happy to help somebody out with first markups.

Also keep in mind that the interview was conducted in person and more or less off the top of my head. I didn't really prepare "questions" so much as some scattered notes which I didn't really stick to.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

absurd length is a problem with Q & A interview transcriptions. it's part of the deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like an interview that reads as a conversation. especially when the other side of the conversation has valuable ideas and observations.

the more toups the better, i say!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading Sergei Servianov's "From Russia to New York via Games", I guess it has to do something with my current situation, similar to his in his past, that I could enjoy and understand it so well, thank you for it.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Toupsy's a gamer too, and largely an articulate one. Let him speak and just bill it as a conversation instead. There are already more than enough generic interview questions in print elsewhere.
icycalm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember just a little under a year ago when this whole thing was nothing more than a grain of an idea floating around in my mind that I thought would never make its way out into the world and here we are editing the final few words of Issue 2.

The above sentence needs a period or two.

Or, at the very least, some commas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading pongism is depressing.

while eavesdropping on a conversation being carried on by three college kids.

I’ve got a pretty close approximation of the original system installed in that California bar so many years ago running on the computer next to me. It runs quickly enough.

Instead, you move this paddle - completely precisely.

Years ago, when I was far younger,

the two of you could not be more intimately involved if you were making sweet love all the night.

The feeling is pure and communicative.

You know, trees often fall over in forests when there’s no one around to hear them.

The more you give Tetris, the more it gives you back, and this genius.

You need better editors. I will keep posting here whatever I find...

Edit: Shoot. I just found out that Tetris is a Japanese game. Thanks ajutla! Thank God there are no Russians reading your magazine.

Last edited by icycalm on Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philosophy, by definition, is rational investigation, into the nature of The Arts.

This is insulting.

I hate myslef and I want to die. But I have to keep reading.

edit: One of them I’m playing to gain better perspective on another game for an article I’m writing with a fellow staff which may or may not have already been published by now.

The joy that exists from simply moving something around on your own in this world made up of mathematics is profound.

It moves me on the same level that listening to music or watching a movie does for other people, like my friend who posed the aforementioned question, because of which the experience is more engaging, more personal.

The above quotes are from the last article of the second issue. I will stop doing this now. Please forgive me.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...??
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
Thank God there are no Russians reading your magazine.

Yeah, they're on the staff instead.
icycalm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.

Didn't he take it personally when ajutla said that Tetris is a Japanese game?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
Didn't he take it personally when ajutla said that Tetris is a Japanese game?

He got the joke.
Rud13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajutla wrote:
lol

Does this mean you have returned to this inter nets?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious myself.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icyclam wrote:
Edit: Shoot. I just found out that Tetris is a Japanese game. Thanks ajutla! Thank God there are no Russians reading your magazine.
That after learning that Atari created Legend of Zelda.

If there was a joke there, I completely failed to catch it. I actually chalked it up to YGS (Young Gamer Syndrome), and abandoned the article after the Tetris reference with the thought, "this person has no fucking idea what they're talking about, and if I read much more, I will be forced to kill myself."

Overall though, this issue is a really nice improvement on the first one. And, yes, I know I'm late to the party. Since I normally don't go to parties at all, just be glad that I'm here now Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
If there was a joke there, I completely failed to catch it.

Actually, there was a joke there, but I think it was too postmodern for anyone to catch. I'm guessing that you're Jon Goodwin? Regardless of whether you are or are not it's good to have 'ya here and you should introduce yourself in the General section.

If you thought issue 2 was an improvement you'll really dig the more recent ones!

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
If there was a joke there, I completely failed to catch it.
Actually, there was a joke there, but I think it was too postmodern for anyone to catch. I'm guessing that you're Jon Goodwin? Regardless of whether you are or are not it's good to have 'ya here and you should introduce yourself in the General section.

If you thought issue 2 was an improvement you'll really dig the more recent ones!

-Wes
I'm Jeremy Goodwin. Although I do have an uncle named Jon Goodwin. For some reason, I'm unable to post in that thread, I get access failures and 404s on posting.php

Funny, given that I can post here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to post a picture of any kind? I had the same problem a while back and it was because the forum didn't like whatever picture I was trying to post.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Are you trying to post a picture of any kind? I had the same problem a while back and it was because the forum didn't like whatever picture I was trying to post.
Nope.
Quote:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forums/posting.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.36 Server at www.gamersquarter.com Port 80
I'm sorry to hijack this thread with technical issues. Maybe a mod can come back and sweep these up later.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
Swimmy wrote:
Nope.
Quote:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forums/posting.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.36 Server at www.gamersquarter.com Port 80
I'm sorry to hijack this thread with technical issues. Maybe a mod can come back and sweep these up later.

Actually we narrowed it down to words like ps[i]ychology. It was the ps-y part ... I think. Which is why Ps[i]chonauts has problems too.

Also, Pongism is tounge-in-cheek at many points and intended to get a rise out of people.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Actually we narrowed it down to words like ps[i]ychology. It was the ps-y part ... I think. Which is why Ps[i]chonauts has problems too.

Also, Pongism is tounge-in-cheek at many points and intended to get a rise out of people.
Well, that helped. Apparently Lynx is an issue for the script as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: