The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baroque - Pearls with unpredictable and random shapes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keidrych

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Baroque - Pearls with unpredictable and random shapes Reply with quote

It looks like an interesting little dungeon crawler, doesn't it?

http://www.atlus.com/baroque/

Now, I have a problem. I am thoroughly enjoying Shiren the Wanderer for the DS, and the optional dungeons will probably keep me occupied until I die. My problem is that gaming as a whole doesn't know how to review this type of game.

The fundamental design concepts of most roguelikes are so alien and hostile that most people define them as bad, instead of different. What I need to know is if any of you lovely people have played Baroque in any of its previous iterations, and if so, what did you think?

What I enjoy about Shiren isn't necessarily the dungeon crawl, but more so the process of learning the game and negotiating hostile random situations. Many of my favorite moments involve finding myself in the middle of a monster house and having to use all of the tools at my disposable in order to stay alive.

Does Baroque facilitate these sorts of situations, or is it a slog involving upgrading your equipment until you no longer have to try?
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no clue. these art concepts are pretty sweet though, and i have observed lordgek's avatar is one of the downloadable ones from their site.

so he may know something!

LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
no clue. these art concepts are pretty sweet though, and i have observed lordgek's avatar is one of the downloadable ones from their site.

so he may know something!

Shoot, I feel as if I've been summoned here by a mysterious force... Twisted Evil

Sadly, I'm just a clueless fanboy who is loving what he's read about this game.

While Nintendo Power's 3/10 is now ancient history, I now hear EGM just ripped it a new one with a D, D+, D but I have yet to hear any details on WHY they found it so intolerable nor do I know if they get the concept of roguelikes.

As much as I hate to admit it, this MAY BE a complete dog...but I have at least a couple player's of the Japanese version's comments as well as the really detailed (SPOILERIFIC even) 2 part preview on Siliconera to buttress my faith it won't blow as hard as these reviewers seem to think. Like I could imagine that a reviewer would see the deliberately obscure bits and pieces of the storyline being presented are proof of an incredibly retarded localization if they didn't know this was intentional.

Oh, the links to the Siliconera previews?
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/01/16/entering-the-twisted-dungeons-of-baroque/
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/02/18/beating-the-neuro-tower-in-baroque/
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt dessgeega trying to write an article about masocore games? games that actively hate the player?

like i wanna be the guy, castlevania 2, adom, shiren, mighty jill off, etc

games that have it out for you
games that WANT YOU TO LOSE

the masochistic gamer is on the rise!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
isnt dessgeega trying to write an article about masocore games? games that actively hate the player?

working definition is games that subvert the player's expectations (based on previous experience with the genre).
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
mighty jill off
games that have it out for you
games that WANT YOU TO LOSE

I'm really not sure Mighty Jill Off counts. Or Castlevania 2. That's more of a bad translation/bad design thing.

As for this game, I tend to agree with overall reviewer opinion so my guess is that this game actually kinda sucks. That's not to say there's nothing to like about it, but, unlike shiren which most reviewers seemed to like, Baroque seems like an excercise in tedium.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, yes, only i wanna be the guy falls under that definition. mighty jill off was not actually designed as a masocore game, though some people associate it with "punishing platformers". (thematically, it certainly is!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question: is it worth playing when I have access to Shiren?

I mean, my flash cart doesn't even get play anymore.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can you not count castlevania 2?

there are platform holes where you fall and it sends you back to the beginning

and that paert where you have to jumpp

other examples

ninja gaiden nes serties
castlevania 1 and 3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in (well actually a few days ago)

Baroque HAS NOT EVEN BEEN REVIEWED BY EGM YET! The guy who started this rumor later said something to the effect of, "Oh, my bad, I guess it was some other game..."

So now we're only down to Nintendo Power's scathing 3/10 which is not clear they "get" how roguelikes are supposed to work.

This game may end up being fertilizer but, at this point we only have NP's word on that.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castlevania 2 is not actually that hard. Considering that it's the single NES game that I ever managed to finish on my own (and one of two that I've finished period, the other being Aria of Sorrow), I can't see it being that difficult.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait Baroque is a roguelike? I always thought it was more of a standard RPG with random dungeons ala Time Stalkers (or whatever that Dreamcast RPG was), but more difficult and with shittier art direction.

I've got to say... Most games with random level creation are horrible. The randomness is usually done under the guise of replayability, but it's really out of a desire to keep from having to actually design compelling levels. And if you're making random levels that aren't compelling, why would people want to replay your game anyways? Shiren is excused from this because the game is designed with such a small scale in mind that replayability is something that's going to happen on an half-hour basis rather than after a 40-hour drudge through hell.

So yes! I'm guessing Nintendo power's not too far off on their review, but I haven't played Baroque yet so it's just a guess!

-Wes
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scratchmonkey when you are a child you beat the hardest games because they are all you have

like i beat ninja gaiden, kid nikki radical ninja nad fuckign SOLSTICE when i was little

i play them now and im like what, what is happening
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:

I've got to say... Most games with random level creation are horrible. The randomness is usually done under the guise of replayability, but it's really out of a desire to keep from having to actually design compelling levels. And if you're making random levels that aren't compelling, why would people want to replay your game anyways? Shiren is excused from this because the game is designed with such a small scale in mind that replayability is something that's going to happen on an half-hour basis rather than after a 40-hour drudge through hell.

I agree that there ARE weak games that probably use random levels becasue they are too lazy hand craft creative one, but that being said I'M SO TIRED OF THE "RANDOM LEVELS = LAZY/CHEAP DESIGN" crap!

As I feel I have to repeat in every post, Baroque may be horseshit, I haven't seen it yet, but random level generation is a key aspect of the roguelike genre.

I also am not getting the "40 hour drudge through Hell", as it is very clear from the design that I have seen so far it is a very streamlined quick flowing game. Not that it is quick as in arcadey, but your character will level quickly (with no stat or skill points to allocate), monsters go down in just a couple of hits, and I doubt each floor is that large (only a few minutes to clear out).

Done ranting. Shocked
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No really, I had access to a lot of NES games (although I didn't have a machine myself, my friend did and I spent a lot of time at his house) and Simon's Quest was the only one that was easy enough for me to beat. The only other one that I beat was Lifeforce; that was in co-op though.

(I also go back to it every couple of years or so and beat the hell out of it.)

ETA: It's hard in the sense that if you don't have a walkthrough/hints to get through the completely incoherent design in certain spots (bang your head on deborah cliff indeed); however, the game itself is pretty easy. Even Dracula goes down without much of a fight.
bleak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
scratchmonkey when you are a child you beat the hardest games because they are all you have

like i beat ninja gaiden, kid nikki radical ninja nad fuckign SOLSTICE when i was little

man you bea tSolstice? calling bullshit that game makes NO SENSE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
I agree that there ARE weak games that probably use random levels becasue they are too lazy hand craft creative one, but that being said I'M SO TIRED OF THE "RANDOM LEVELS = LAZY/CHEAP DESIGN" crap!

But most of the time it is!

I agree that a blanket statement on random levels being bad is shortsighted, but whether or not it works really depends on how much of the design is built around supporting that decision. Most roguelikes are built around replaying a section and using the knowledge you gain from subsequent playthroughs to help you progress, but there are a few that allow you to keep your progress and are so afraid of scaring the player off through punishment to promote replay. In these cases, what's the advantage of random levels? There really isn't one!

The games I'm thinking of are the roguelikes that roguelike players already don't really like, like Izuna and Pokemon, where you keep your levels and EXP from level to level, but other games, like the Dark Cloud series, are also relevant to this discussion.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
LordGek wrote:

I agree that a blanket statement on random levels being bad is shortsighted, but whether or not it works really depends on how much of the design is built around supporting that decision. Most roguelikes are built around replaying a section and using the knowledge you gain from subsequent playthroughs to help you progress, but there are a few that allow you to keep your progress and are so afraid of scaring the player off through punishment to promote replay. In these cases, what's the advantage of random levels? There really isn't one!

The games I'm thinking of are the roguelikes that roguelike players already don't really like, like Izuna and Pokemon, where you keep your levels and EXP from level to level, but other games, like the Dark Cloud series, are also relevant to this discussion.

-Wes

I agree with Wes. This problem reminds me of my troubles with a lot of Atlus's recent RPGs, and in their hands, I'd say that Baroque's dungeons stand to be pretty uninteresting. They put a lot of time into developing art, grueling gameplay, and theme, but usually skimp on their dungeons. I'm thinking of the Shin Megami Tensei games in particular. While not all of them were random, the dungeons were fatally bland, and endlessly repetitive. I watched a friend play Persona 3 (which is randomized) and I just felt bored every time he got his dungeon crawl on.

I don't really know if this is lazy on the part of developers, but random level design runs the risk of being uninspired after just a few floors. I loose a lot of interest in a game when I encounter a 100 floor tower, or ghost ship. I appreciate when designers go the extra mile and make RPGs with more disparately themed areas, in shorter succession.
parkbench

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's saying something less about stochastic processes in general and more specific algorithms. A game like Civ 4 always feels fresh because of the way it randomises--obviously, based on the blocks its given. Shiren, Dwarf Fortress...these are random but somehow maintain a freshness. The repetitiveness comes from un-cleverness; the good random designs know how to take good "chunks" and have them intermingle, resulting in something that (should) almost never feel tired or repetitive.
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospital Zone wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
LordGek wrote:

-Wes

I agree with Wes. This problem reminds me of my troubles with a lot of Atlus's recent RPGs, and in their hands, I'd say that Baroque's dungeons stand to be pretty uninteresting. They put a lot of time into developing art, grueling gameplay, and theme, but usually skimp on their dungeons. I'm thinking of the Shin Megami Tensei games in particular. While not all of them were random, the dungeons were fatally bland, and endlessly repetitive. I watched a friend play Persona 3 (which is randomized) and I just felt bored every time he got his dungeon crawl on.

I don't really know if this is lazy on the part of developers, but random level design runs the risk of being uninspired after just a few floors. I loose a lot of interest in a game when I encounter a 100 floor tower, or ghost ship. I appreciate when designers go the extra mile and make RPGs with more disparately themed areas, in shorter succession.

Fair enough, I hope Baroque can keep stuff interesting.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
daphaknee wrote:

man you bea tSolstice? calling bullshit that game makes NO SENSE

my brother bought me a guide for it!
bleak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much sense does the game make with a walkthrough

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Baroque. i'm interested in it and i'll probably pick it up, but is there any real reason to get the Wii version over the PS2 version?
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isfet wrote:
so Baroque. i'm interested in it and i'll probably pick it up, but is there any real reason to get the Wii version over the PS2 version?

Nothing huge. I think game content will be identical but the Wii will have these additions:

-Optional Waggle Support: While the game can be played with the Classic Controller in what I assume is a pretty straight port from the PS2 version's control, you can also play the game with the Wiimote and Nunchuck combo with some minor motion elements (supposedly subtle and not over the top gimmicky crap).
-Wide Screen Support (16:10)
-Higher Resolution Support (480p)

No clue if there will be any differences in loadtimes. Does anybody out there have a clue how many Wii vs. PS2 ports stack up loadtime wise?
Worm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really awful. You can tell the people designing it have only seen dungeon crawl games through screenshots because of shit like your main weapon being stolen(not quite the same as being disarmed in ADOM, don't even draw the comparison), or because the game not attempting to draw anyone in. It is weird and hopes that weirdness is enough to motivate the common idiot to plumb for peanuts and corn kernels in this massive septic tank.

Ehrgeiz's dungeon mode is far superior. I know most of you are idiots and are going to try to disagree here, but Baroque really comes up short. It's like Monster Hunter without any direction or attempt to motivate the player. It's just a fucking void that will force you to play it because some dumb fuck (much like you, yeah you) is going to go on and on about it.

It's a game that relies on anyone who talks about it being completely full of shit.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
It's really awful. You can tell the people designing it have only seen dungeon crawl games through screenshots because of shit like your main weapon being stolen(not quite the same as being disarmed in ADOM, don't even draw the comparison), or because the game not attempting to draw anyone in. It is weird and hopes that weirdness is enough to motivate the common idiot to plumb for peanuts and corn kernels in this massive septic tank.

Ehrgeiz's dungeon mode is far superior. I know most of you are idiots and are going to try to disagree here, but Baroque really comes up short. It's like Monster Hunter without any direction or attempt to motivate the player. It's just a fucking void that will force you to play it because some dumb fuck (much like you, yeah you) is going to go on and on about it.

It's a game that relies on anyone who talks about it being completely full of shit.

COUNTERPOINT:

I think your main weapon being able to be stolen is NOT enough to whine home about, this is why you need backup weapons and armor. This is a true roguelike in that sense think Nethack).

It is weird as Hell, the story can be a bit pretentious and at times not really clear what you need to do to advance stuff, and I can't say I'm a huge fan of how they handle the item throwing (I'd think you should be able to set your ready thowable item and not worry about the selection being reset everytime you open your inventory), but under all of that is a damn CLEVER Roguelike with a number of original items and game mechanics.

While I doubt the creatures have any real AI, they all have multiple attacks and tricks up their sleeves and make for some interesting combat (from big dudes who try to hop onto you and bop you across the room to freaky turtle guys that pop out of their shell to quickly breathe poison on you and then duck back in their shell for cover).

I think it is neat to finally have a Roguelike where facing is key since most enemies appear to take more damage if you manage to hit them from behind.

I also love not only the huge variety of items, but lots of very original concepts for a Rogeulike. Take boxes, for example. Most of the game's boxes will be for a given type of item, like say a "Flesh Box" which you know will have SOME kind of meat in there. Even if you have IDed the box (so now you know it is a "Flesh Box" and not a "Sword Box") you still have no way of knowing WHAT is inside (a dinky rotten heal 40 hp meat or one of the game's SUPER meats?) and to make matters worse, most of the boxes have a chance of blowing up in your face (it always makes this clear in the box's description if one of the potentially explosive ones)! So, do you REALLY want to take the risk and look inside or are the risks too great? There are ways to safely disarm a box so it won't blow up in your face BUT these are usually one use items and boxes don't explode that often...do you really want to waste a disarm on a box that may not have even exploded anyways (as far as I know at this point there is no way to know ahead of time if THIS SPECIFIC BOX is armed to blow when you open it, only if this is one of the types of boxes that might explode)?

I also love how the game has many almost neutral items, items that could prove useful in the right situation or really annoying at others. Like if you cook some flesh in this game it will suddenly become the ultimate healing item, taking from 0 to whatever your HP max is in one gulp...but there is a catch. Eating brunt meat messes big time with your VT (that always counting down number, kind of like your hunger level in other Roguelikes). Are you desperate enough to take that risk?

So it is an actiony game, sometimes more than I'd like, but it maintains the classic Roguelike, "survival is based more on proper item usage than brute strength" approach missing in most RPGs these days.
Worm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
I think your main weapon being able to be stolen is NOT enough to whine home about, this is why you need backup weapons and armor. This is a true roguelike in that sense think Nethack).

Of course this gets blown out of the water when your stupid "beat the dungeon" gun gets lifted. Beyond that you see far more of thief monsters in baroque than Nethack or ADOM because there is no fucking variety. If you're a RL fan, I don't see you you can shrug at the way Baroque abandoned any variety in items, weapons, or monsters.

Anyone who played ADOM hates ratling fencers and will bitch about them to no end. If there spawn rate was 50% no one would fucking play ADOM.

Quote:
but under all of that is a damn CLEVER Roguelike with a number of original items and game mechanics.

Is it, really? I mean, is it a rogue like? Are there shrines, are there more weapon types than swords, is there anything random or interesting about the game other than the art and floor generation?

Quote:
While I doubt the creatures have any real AI, they all have multiple attacks and tricks up their sleeves and make for some interesting combat (from big dudes who try to hop onto you and bop you across the room to freaky turtle guys that pop out of their shell to quickly breathe poison on you and then duck back in their shell for cover).

Enemies do have a neat variety of attacks, but you run into the same ones so often that it kind of wears on you.

Quote:
I also love not only the huge variety of items, but lots of very original concepts for a Rogeulike. Take boxes, for example. Most of the game's boxes will be for a given type of item, like say a "Flesh Box" which you know will have SOME kind of meat in there. Even if you have IDed the box (so now you know it is a "Flesh Box" and not a "Sword Box") you still have no way of knowing WHAT is inside (a dinky rotten heal 40 hp meat or one of the game's SUPER meats?) and to make matters worse, most of the boxes have a chance of blowing up in your face (it always makes this clear in the box's description if one of the potentially explosive ones)! So, do you REALLY want to take the risk and look inside or are the risks too great? There are ways to safely disarm a box so it won't blow up in your face BUT these are usually one use items and boxes don't explode that often...do you really want to waste a disarm on a box that may not have even exploded anyways (as far as I know at this point there is no way to know ahead of time if THIS SPECIFIC BOX is armed to blow when you open it, only if this is one of the types of boxes that might explode)?

How can you rightfully call this variety having played any other roguelike?

Quote:
I also love how the game has many almost neutral items, items that could prove useful in the right situation or really annoying at others. Like if you cook some flesh in this game it will suddenly become the ultimate healing item, taking from 0 to whatever your HP max is in one gulp...but there is a catch. Eating brunt meat messes big time with your VT (that always counting down number, kind of like your hunger level in other Roguelikes). Are you desperate enough to take that risk?

Did you work on this game? The way you take a simple thing that someone will encounter a little while into the game and get sick of, and try to weave it into this genius not previously known to roguelikes is really sickening.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
LordGek wrote:

Of course this gets blown out of the water when your stupid "beat the dungeon" gun gets lifted. Beyond that you see far more of thief monsters in baroque than Nethack or ADOM because there is no fucking variety. If you're a RL fan, I don't see you you can shrug at the way Baroque abandoned any variety in items, weapons, or monsters.

Anyone who played ADOM hates ratling fencers and will bitch about them to no end. If there spawn rate was 50% no one would fucking play ADOM.

Quote:
but under all of that is a damn CLEVER Roguelike with a number of original items and game mechanics.

Is it, really? I mean, is it a rogue like? Are there shrines, are there more weapon types than swords, is there anything random or interesting about the game other than the art and floor generation?

Quote:

Enemies do have a neat variety of attacks, but you run into the same ones so often that it kind of wears on you.

Quote:

How can you rightfully call this variety having played any other roguelike?

Quote:

Did you work on this game? The way you take a simple thing that someone will encounter a little while into the game and get sick of, and try to weave it into this genius not previously known to roguelikes is really sickening.

Yeah, we war on multiple fronts now!

I really can't believe your whining so much about these one type of creatures in the game that I think make it so interesting. I know you love to bring up ADOM as your one Roguelike reference, but have you played stuff like Nethack and Rogue? The Nymphs were incredibly annoying BUT, just like this game, not GAME BREAKING. You want your sword back? Simply hunt the guy down and take it back, what is the BFD?

While I'm not sure why ADOM should be a huge exception to this rule, but MOST Roguleikes are tedious journeys into very mazey dungeons where you meet many of the same creatures again and again each play through. Had you tried Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer? Same sort of idea with a lot of very annoying creatures you learn, in time, how to deal with in creative ways. I mean, again, take Baroque's little snatchers, why not use one of your torture devices or discs to take them out if there are a bunch in the room? Throw a Lethargy Bone at them to slow them down? Heck, while I haven't seen it yet, I'm willing to bet there is some parasite in the game that could render you immune to theft.

One of MY big gripes with ADOM specifically is that for a Roguelike it has way too many very "set pieces". Figure out the one solution to this section of the game by using that one item you will always find in a certain area. The cooler Roguleikes, IMHO, are those where there are few constants or guarantees forcing you to come up with new solutions to the same problems each time you play through. Both Baroque and Shiren do this pretty well, I think, other than their cheesey story bits (stories are cute and all, but I prefer the straight hack and slashing without having to pause for another cutscene every few minutes).

As you get further in Baroque you will see all sorts of new freaks you haven't seen before, but I agree that the last several floors of the initial Neuro Tower seemed to be nothing but walls, spikey slugs, and hanging guys.

Lastly, you don't fucking have to like this game! I'm sure there are many games you like that I would think are shit but I'm not going to come over to a discussion about a game you really like and tell you what a DOUCHEBAG you are for liking it.

Lastly, no, I wish, but I'm not in any way involved with the developers of this game and yet I still like it. How is that possible if they aren't paying me off? Again, I must just be an idiot.
Worm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
I really can't believe your whining so much about these one type of creatures in the game that I think make it so interesting. I know you love to bring up ADOM as your one Roguelike reference, but have you played stuff like Nethack and Rogue? The Nymphs were incredibly annoying BUT, just like this game, not GAME BREAKING. You want your sword back? Simply hunt the guy down and take it back, what is the BFD?

You're so full of shit it hurts. Having a regular enemy that is going to be on every floor in force that steals your main weapon is totally different than having a rarely appearing creature that steals your weapon. Fuck, Nymphs appeared even LESS that disarming creatures do in ADOM.

Quote:
While I'm not sure why ADOM should be a huge exception to this rule, but MOST Roguleikes are tedious journeys into very mazey dungeons where you meet many of the same creatures again and again each play through. Had you tried Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer?

Have you tried ... Rogue? Rogue, Nethack, Crawl, ADOM, hell even that gay LOTR one all feature a variety of choices in character, weapon, and in dungeon(fountains, shrines, pools, shops). There are also lots of different monster types. You wouldn't even need to use half a character set to represent all the monsters in Baroque.

Quote:
Same sort of idea with a lot of very annoying creatures you learn, in time, how to deal with in creative ways. I mean, again, take Baroque's little snatchers, why not use one of your torture devices or discs to take them out if there are a bunch in the room? Throw a Lethargy Bone at them to slow them down? Heck, while I haven't seen it yet, I'm willing to bet there is some parasite in the game that could render you immune to theft.

Yeah, but, the throwing system is pretty horrible and jarring, and the entire problem could have been solved by having a couple different weapon types.

Quote:
One of MY big gripes with ADOM specifically is that for a Roguelike it has way too many very "set pieces". Figure out the one solution to this section of the game by using that one item you will always find in a certain area. The cooler Roguleikes, IMHO, are those where there are few constants or guarantees forcing you to come up with new solutions to the same problems each time you play through.

You're talking about the fact that it has quests, or what?

Quote:
As you get further in Baroque you will see all sorts of new freaks you haven't seen before, but I agree that the last several floors of the initial Neuro Tower seemed to be nothing but walls, spikey slugs, and hanging guys.

Yeah, I'm sure new monsters are introduced as I progress in the game, though it seems like they're introduced in a pretty linear fashion. Which sure as fuck doesn't make it feel varied.

Quote:

Lastly, you don't fucking have to like this game! I'm sure there are many games you like that I would think are shit but I'm not going to come over to a discussion about a game you really like and tell you what a DOUCHEBAG you are for liking it.

You're not a douchebag for liking it, you're a douchebag for writing GIANT DOUCHEY BLOCKS OF TEXT where you insist that the games items are varied because they have a "____ BOX" or because some of the healing items have trade offs..

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is this shit

Keep it in the bedroom, ladies
Worm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's entertaining himself on a forum where I got banned over Baroque so they can all sit around and insist I'm self aggrandizing without me doing anything unfortunate, like defending myself.

It's just a stale game that lacks any of the variety that normally makes these games interesting, and it's really sad that everyone thinks saying "don't like it, you must not be used to rogue likes" cuts it as a defense.

LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
I think he's entertaining himself on a forum where I got banned over Baroque so they can all sit around and insist I'm self aggrandizing without me doing anything unfortunate, like defending myself.

It's just a stale game that lacks any of the variety that normally makes these games interesting, and it's really sad that everyone thinks saying "don't like it, you must not be used to rogue likes" cuts it as a defense.

Wow, I didn't know they actually banned you, but tip for the future, it isn't WHAT you are saying, it's HOW you say it that got you all of the love. You have some points there and I'm willing to bet you aren't the ONLY ONE that thinks the game is weak (a lot of people won't see the point to it).
Worm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have a pretty long history on that site, and it's full of mincing mealymouthed shits, that ban had less to do with my posting and more to do with who I am.

The game just really misses it on some serious rogue shit, like don't en masse frustrating enemies(the snatcher guys, it's almost best to ignore them and keep more weapons on you than anything else), or accommodate varied play styles(why couldn't we have something more than a single type of weapon, why can't I cast magic?). The weapons really aren't interesting, I think the neatest things I ended up with were a super slow high damage sword, and one that levels up every floor you go down. Also a sword that said it had an extra attack but didn't.

With all this talk about rogue I really was expecting something more similar to it. The random generating matrix seems to involve pulling a few premade rooms out of memory and stringing them together with some corridors. The special boxes are kind of interesting, they're definitely not anything new. It just lacks so much when compared to the robust games in the genre it's being shoehorned into.

The pacing of the game makes it feel as if it should be turn based, but instead you have to grapple with horrible camera controls (when you press the snap to character heading button the screen actually blacks out), so when you run into some tough enemies you can't maneuver very well.

It's really annoying to assert that people don't like the game because it's a RL and too surly for everyone to see the heart of gold. Even as a RL it's lacking, I'm just kind of disappointed since I really loved Persona 3 and heard all this Roguelike talk. However, the game just doesn't have in it what makes Roguelikes good.

It's weird, and the dungeons have some of a charm, but ultimately when you get hung up on something that isn't just annoying, but annoying in that it represents a lack of effort it's pretty hard to get charmed again.

bleak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man from the way everyone is apologizing for this game it really makes me not want to play it ever. Plus it's real time? Fuuuuck that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
Actually I have a pretty long history on that site, and it's full of mincing mealymouthed shits, that ban had less to do with my posting and more to do with who I am.

The game just really misses it on some serious rogue shit, like don't en masse frustrating enemies(the snatcher guys, it's almost best to ignore them and keep more weapons on you than anything else), or accommodate varied play styles(why couldn't we have something more than a single type of weapon, why can't I cast magic?). The weapons really aren't interesting, I think the neatest things I ended up with were a super slow high damage sword, and one that levels up every floor you go down. Also a sword that said it had an extra attack but didn't.

With all this talk about rogue I really was expecting something more similar to it. The random generating matrix seems to involve pulling a few premade rooms out of memory and stringing them together with some corridors. The special boxes are kind of interesting, they're definitely not anything new. It just lacks so much when compared to the robust games in the genre it's being shoehorned into.

The pacing of the game makes it feel as if it should be turn based, but instead you have to grapple with horrible camera controls (when you press the snap to character heading button the screen actually blacks out), so when you run into some tough enemies you can't maneuver very well.

It's really annoying to assert that people don't like the game because it's a RL and too surly for everyone to see the heart of gold. Even as a RL it's lacking, I'm just kind of disappointed since I really loved Persona 3 and heard all this Roguelike talk. However, the game just doesn't have in it what makes Roguelikes good.

It's weird, and the dungeons have some of a charm, but ultimately when you get hung up on something that isn't just annoying, but annoying in that it represents a lack of effort it's pretty hard to get charmed again.

Fair enough.

I also figure you must have really had some bad luck with the snatchers since, the MANY times they have stolen from me they've only grabbed my primary weapon or shield VERY few times. As I see it they just steal a random item BUT that may well be your main weapon or shield. The game also has "Food" traps that turn random items into food, not sure if your main equipped stuff is spared from this (they might show some decency here and spare equipped items since at least with the snatchers you can always get your item back).
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I preordered Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Darkness edition this weekend. I'm not at all interested in Baroque. Just sayin'

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, in my experience, I can't say that I've ever come across a bad/unworkable Graphical Roguelike or variant of some sort thereof---and I'm pretty sure that this point that I either have or have played all that are available in English at least. (wonders about Windaria DS, the other Torneko games on PS/GBA, DC/N64/PC Shiren games, etc)

I figure the INTENT of Baroque wasn't some grand gesture to bring in new blood to the Roguelike ranks vai real-time good times, but rather just the spin/style they happened to put on the game to shake things up, with apparently mixed results, for the widely varying tastes of all the established enthusiasts out there.

All told, I can't help but view each new console or handheld graphical roguelike as a TREAT, even if a variant, considering how rarely we get more adventures of the sort in gaming compared to most other genres or sub-genres.

Good on ya SuperWes...I wish I could actually pre-order games online without there being mysterious (ha!) problems with my shipping info that always seem to never be an issue after the game has been out nigh a week among regular Amazon sellers and the like. Sad I'm so getting both Time and Darkness to help me get through work as Shiren has and Izuna 2 will also eventually do the same.
Worm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getter77 wrote:
All told, I can't help but view each new console or handheld graphical roguelike as a TREAT, even if a variant, considering how rarely we get more adventures of the sort in gaming compared to most other genres or sub-genres.

Is under representation really a recipe for low expectations?

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worm i keep seeing atlus on this game at the store and i dont know what to do!
Worm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gamefly it. Persona 3 FES should be on the shelf right next to it, and it's a game that is a culmination of much more effort than Baroque. Beyond that Baroque is a pretty crunchy dungeon type game, and you'd really enjoy something like Fate much more.

squidlarkin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, Baroque certainly isn't the best roguelike ever made, but I'm pretty sure it's the best realtime graphical roguelike ever made. As someone who finds this microscopic subgenre compelling, I'm pretty pleased with it!
getter77

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
getter77 wrote:

Is under representation really a recipe for low expectations?

Don't think of it as under representation, for instance, but rather as a "building/developing/foundation" kinda jive. To make a crazy example, take Dragon Quest I. A game that is "classic" to many, and a bit out there for the time it was, but is now looked back upon by many, perhaps unjustly, as "archaic", Broken, lacking, etc. Yet because people gave it a fair enough shot as a sounding board for the general concepts IT was trying to do, we got DQ II...then III...then the incredible IV, and so on. From humble, perhaps stumbly, beginnings to then a staple franchise in gaming for a great many people.

Odds are, many times, you'll fail to see further revisions/improvements to a certain type of game is the well is perceived to be dry as a bone in terms of the publisher/dev side of things save for a few delightfully crazy folk here and there. Buying Baroque, if you feel like giving it a proper shot, is to me along the same lines along when I bought Dragon Quest Swords: I figured there COULD/WOULD be more to come that is more refined, deeper, more interesting....but only if there happened to be enough money perceived to be in this crazy fangled "rail slasher" (hi Crossed Swords) derived from sales. So I figured I'd do my part and chip in a proper sale for what I knew to SURELY be a flawed game---but one I'd hope would serve as progenitor to some new gaming experiences down the line.

In English, at least, I think Roguelikes may well have been the genre to see the least frequent exposure (and thus chance for new sales/audience cultivation) in terms of consoles and handhels until finally these days there's been a marvelous bullrush of them in 2008. To this day, I'll always think how much different things might've been if the genre had some sort of Englsh representation on the NES back when nigh all genres of gaming had core concepts down for revision with all else being kind of a mess for the most part. By the time Fatal Labyrinth or Dragon Crystal hit for Genesis/GG(SMS?)....so many folk had been galvanized towards other genres. From there, most of the "console" Roguelikes, and their evolution, happened over in Japan.

I've rambled too much, but the point is that we all would benefit from some future Baroquelike that embellishes what makes the game strong and diminishes, or perhaps destroys, those bit that didn't quite work out right for whatever reason for most folks. Otherwise, it could well be years on top of years before another Dev/Pub team decides to take a crack at this kind of endeavor again.
Worm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm never going to buy crap in hopes that they make a better sequel. People who esteem crap and fool other people into buying it should be fucking shot.

squidlarkin wrote:
Guys, Baroque certainly isn't the best roguelike ever made, but I'm pretty sure it's the best realtime graphical roguelike ever made. As someone who finds this microscopic subgenre compelling, I'm pretty pleased with it!

Naw, FATE while Diablo inspired is as much of a RL as baroque and much more interesting.

getter77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:
I'm never going to buy crap in hopes that they make a better sequel. People who esteem crap and fool other people into buying it should be fucking shot.

squidlarkin wrote:

Naw, FATE while Diablo inspired is as much of a RL as baroque and much more interesting.

Well, like I said, a person should only buy Baroque if they feel like taking a crack at it for whatever reason...be it to support Roguelikes in general, honoring a bet they lost, rabid collector mentality, adventurous curiosity towards this kind of quirky game, etc. I've never encountered anybody that actually bought something they themselves would actively consider to be "crap"----just folk acting on differing tastes and opinions.

Besides, back in the day, I thought Streets of Rage 1 was pretty much crap---never jumped out to me at all. Very glad in retrospect that enough people happened to think otherwise that got Streets of Rage II made. A world without Max is a scary thought... Cool
Worm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just can't look at taste that way, it makes no sense.

LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm wrote:

squidlarkin wrote:

Diablo is a RL, no matter how many others may try to claim otherwise, and I too agree Fate was pretty decent.

But now as I suckered myself into buying one of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 games, is why I find myself preferring both Baroque and Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer over even Fate and this silly PMD2 game. I like RL games that give me a lot of "Critical Moments", I think this was something described really eloquently by John Harris at GameSetWatch:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/03/play_the_delights_of_mystery_d.php#more

In a game like Fate or even Diablo, short of maybe a boss fight or two, its all too easy to simply level up past any real challenge and keep it all safe. Or, if you do get a little sloppy, it really doesn't matter so you never get that "edge of your seat" feeling. So, to me, while Baroque's atmosphere is never really that "scary", knowing that one misstep could spell your end and there is no town you can simply warp out to when the going gets rough that makes it so entertaining for me (although the game's generous save system completely goes against this and really breaks this sense of tension).
Worm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but there are games that are much more reasonably tense. "Will a bunch of shitty monsters swarm me and the bad controls doom me?" and "Will they steal an important item and run off at 1.2x my top speed?" aren't the kind of tension I'm looking for.

Just put cracked firmware on your 360, then every game is tense! "Will my account get banned?"

LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously. Worm, those snatcher guys are the LEAST of your problems in that game. I swear it really sounds like in ONE of your runs one of those guys stole your main weapon and then it became, THIS GAME IS IMPOSSIBLE AS IT IS FILLED WITH MONSTERS THAT WILL ALWAYS STEAL YOUR MAIN WEAPON. It's not that it would be worth your or anyone's time to play a game you don't enjoy any further but I have issues with these generalizations that I just know came from very limited play.

I think I've made it one of my own little campaigns that MORE roguelikes bring in item stealers and transformers as it is so LAME, IMHO, in games like Fate that you'll NEVER need to worry about losing any important equipment.

Did you ever play Shire, Worm, they had a whole line of creatures that I KNOW would have had you throwing your DS against the wall in disgust if you couldn't handle the Snatchers of Baroque! In Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer there is a line of floating eyeballs who's nifty attack is to hypnotize your character. While you character is under hypnosis he'll use items in his pack at random, take off equipment, even throw his weapon at a random baddy (sometimes the eyeball itself). Throwing an item at a beasty in Shiren is just like it is in Baroque which means it gets absorbed by the monster when hit. Many a player has lost a weapon they'd been building up over dozens of runs when the eyeball made it toss his weapon at something (thankfully it is one of the rarer actions that the eyeball can induce, but it still hurts). I think, at least to me, it's made more painful since it is YOUR CHARACTER (true, not under your control at the moment) that tosses the weapon away...so it's not technically the eyeball that destroyed your weapon, YOU DID!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want you guys to ring each other up and have this conversation mano-a-mano. Be sure to record it for us!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpts in a forthcoming TGQ issue? Dessgeega, make it happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: