The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Technique of Crazy Awesomeness (No More Heroes)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: The Technique of Crazy Awesomeness (No More Heroes) Reply with quote

No More Heroes came out (here) yesterday, and I'm almost halfway through. It is fully awesome.

I've been feeling really let down by the Wii recently... Zelda pissed me off by being a repackaged amalgam of previous games, Mario always seemed to be pulling its punches to accommodate lighter weight players than I, and it seems pretty clear from Nintendo's conference presentations and stuff that they're putting their energy into courting 'new gamers'. And I think, basically, Grasshopper have stuck two fingers up at that philosophy, and made one of the most unashamedly 'gamer' games I've ever played.

Everything about it reeks of a "Fuck You" attitude towards mainstream design. Like how your character is a psychotic loser who lives in a motel and has sex with hugging pillows. He's not a hero, and he's too pathetic to be a badass, so he just hovers in this 'geeky mass murderer' grey area. I mean... the way I see it, the only people who could really like him are the sort of people who understand the black humour in it all? And then there's the way a lot of the NPCs talk in a strange, muffled Engrish, and ALL of the dialogue is the same kind of crazy crap as in Killer7, and you have to work through your career by picking up litter and mowing lawns, and you save your game by having a shit.

You save your game by having a shit.

When you kill people (in the Euro version), they explode into a shower of black dust and spray fountains of coins over you. A slot machine, for no particular reason, will start spinning at the bottom of the screen, and if you line up three icons your character will shout "STRAWBERRY ON THE SHORTCAKE!" (or some other dessert-based phrase) and for about 10 seconds, both the screen and your controls will change, without any explanation. Most likely, you will slaughter everyone else in the room before you figure out what's going on.

This game is pretty much exactly the sort of crazy, hyperactive nonsense I want to play and I can't believe there isn't already a thread dedicated to it.

(Also, can anyone explain why there's no BBFC rating on this game? I know we don't have the American gore-fest version, but it's still a pretty brutal game. Just shouting "FUCKHEAD!" at the start must be worth something...)
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's the guy from the selectbutton forums who was photographed outside his house with a gun in one hand and a jug of liquor in the other? He looked like a Killer 7 character, it was awesome. I saved it to my hard drive ages ago and turned it into a drawing. Which I will post here. Making that description kind of redundant.

This is not to derail the thread but to set the tone for the discussion. Like when NASA commissioned Laurie Anderson to do inspirational performance art for them! Get to it!
JamesE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Joe AKA Splashbeats AKA Vinculum Gate. I suggested that he go to an anime con in blackface and a TEXAS BRONCO t-shirt one time.

Nice MSpaintings harveyhames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Who's the guy from the selectbutton forums who was photographed outside his house with a gun in one hand and a jug of liquor in the other? He looked like a Killer 7 character, it was awesome. I saved it to my hard drive ages ago and turned it into a drawing. Which I will post here.

Hey, cool. I took that photo.

But yeah, No More Heroes is wonderful. For all the talk about how it's a "free roaming" game inspired by sandbox games like GTA, it's amazing how quickly you settle into a groove. What's great is how the pattern you go through from the beginning of the game starts to deviate in the later stages, particularly Ranking Battle 5 and up.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, he's handsomer in my drawing. Then again, his facial expression makes more sense in the photo.
fish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a lot of problems with NMH, grasshoper and Suda51.
lots.

im enjoying the combat, and some of the weirdness, but most of it comes out to me as just trying too hard.

i simply cannot stand suda's punk posturing.
ine that classical japanese guitar-wolfesque way, he's only interested in the aesthetics of it.
he's like that 14 yo dweeb who got into good charlotte in high school and suddenly self-declared himself a punk from the comfort of his mother's basement.

fuck that guy.

if suda51 is game punk, then i am game post-punk.
which is far better.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH.
purplechair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, you're cussing Guitar Wolf?

Didn't you like Wild Zero?
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Zero was maybe the worst movie that could have been made with the premise that they had.

Okay, maybe not the worst; it sure was boring for what it was doing though. Mainly because the cinematography and editing were horrible. Okay, I know, PUNK RAWK and all that and IT'S SUPPOSED TO SUCK etc., it just didn't suck even in an entertaining way.

Last edited by Scratchmonkey on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of liked Guitar Wolf until I saw them live. They really had no clue.
fish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw them live and it was the best rock n roll show ive ever seen.

i was literally covered in the band's blood, sweat and spit.
bass wolf had somehow cut open his hand and was bleeding all over the guitar,
guitar wolf was jumping 12 feet down from their stacks of amps and then throwing his guitar, still connected, into the crowd for people to just make amazing noise on it.

it was amazing.
i love guitar wolf.

but fuck suda none the less.

but NMH is funny, its the first free roaming game that has me wishing it was super linear.
i love free roam. but this is boring.
i wish it was just a linear series of 10 levels.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come it's always Guitar Wolf and never Teengenerate or Registrators that gets brought up as what japanese punk rawk is. Teengenerate is so much more awesome,

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: